Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2021, 04:01 AM   #1
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Unsolicited 'promo' car service voucher while at Macca's drive through. (Keith Adamson Auto Repairs, KAR)

Hi,
Unsolicited sales at unexpected spots isn't great, and can be a nuisance.

Tonight I was sitting in the drive through line at a Macca's in a Perth industrial area trying to look at the menu etc, and this guy in high-vis pounces up at my driver's window. At this point I was only 2-3 cars behind the ordering spot at the drive through. The conversation went:
Hi, Do you need a car service? We are doing this great promo, Keith Adamson's workshop is just around the corner here, have you tried them before? Or would you like to buy this 12-month service voucher for only $139?
We are such a great workshop with years of happy customers etc.. bla bla..

The guy wanted to know details of how often I need a service, if it was due, or overdue etc, and he suddenly pulled out his pay terminal, and started insisting that I should pay for the $139 voucher that he had passed to me to read.

I suggested that if I wanted a service I would either do DIY, or go to the workshop myself, and check them out in advance, look at reviews etc.

He kept on pushing with all the various types of work that could be done (for free?) within the $139 voucher, such as re-gassing my airon etc. and it would apparently cover one major service and one minor service within this vouher. I said I don't have a leaking aircon.. oh but it should be re-gassed !
And don't you need a transmission service, shouldn't drive your car without that..

Anyway I suggested to him that see, the queue in front of me is gone, and all I want at this point is to drive forward and order food.

He kept going with oh but here is a second voucher for free within the price of the first one!! I suggested to him this is really fishy, Why should a workshop offer all this, usually workshops that are good are booked out weeks in advance.

Then he kept pushing if I had not heard about promotion sales, if he didn't sell me this voucher, he wouldn't get paid anything at all. He suggested I had vasted nearly 10 minutes of his time! He said he had sold 4000 of these vouchers and his customers were thrilled.

I said, I'm a little vary if this is for real, that got him even more persistent that this was real, and an extremely good deal, he pulled a bank card out of his wallet that had 'promotions' as part of the name, and he pulled out his phone starting to show me messages allegedly between him and the workshop.
He also had a shirt on under his high-vis jacket with the embroided logo of 'KAR Automotive'.

At this point he wanted to drop the price to $100 for whatever I was supposed to get. ( the two vouchers). Suggesting that he was going to run a personal loss on this.

There was a lot of small print at the bottom of this 'voucher'. For example that it wasn't valid for cars that were imported, and that it was based on buying parts for the repairs from KAR.

Anway, at this point the manager at Macca's turned up to ask what was going on, please move on.. need this lane flowing again. He glared at the 'promo' guy, but didn't say anything to him directly, and the promo-guy suddenly seemed more interesting in disappearing quickly.

When I came home I looked up Keith Adamson Auto Repairs. They do exist, but there was one review online that their receptionist is the most rude person someone has met.

I feel like calling them on Monday to ask if this was a scam, or if they really should run this type of agressive ambush sales outside Macca's.

Cheers,

Last edited by happy1; 27-06-2021 at 04:14 AM.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 06:08 AM   #2
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 
Default Re: Unsolicited 'promo' car service voucher while at Macca's drive through. (Keith Adamson Auto Repairs,

Does sound dodgy. That would **** me off if I was at a maccas drive through.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
xr8-200

Default Re: Unsolicited 'promo' car service voucher while at Macca's drive through. (Keith Adamson Auto Repairs,

It sounds like the bloke who barged into my work last week (in Burswood). He went straight past reception into the main office and started yelling his spiel ($139 service etc).
Got aggressive, insisting we pay now. No one was keen. He left eventually.
Apparently the Admin girl had seen him at the shops hassling elderly shoppers with the same 'vouchers' in the past.
100% a scam.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You were in a car......you should have run him over!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-200 View Post
It sounds like the bloke who barged into my work last week (in Burswood). He went straight past reception into the main office and started yelling his spiel ($139 service etc).
Apparently the Admin girl had seen him at the shops hassling elderly shoppers with the same 'vouchers' in the past.
100% a scam.
I had exactly the same thing but the guy come into our reception, then upstairs into our offices and started yelling about the services.

Its the new white van with the blokes selling speakers.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #6
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the people who approach you at the servo or shopping centre carpark no with their rubbish spray can polish who want to apply it to your car to show you how good it is. It’s exhausting.
Old 27-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #7
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's bad enough trying to get through the front door of Coles without some ****ing chugger trying to get your bank details for their direct debit charity scam

if one of these cheeky ****s stood between me and my big mac I'd be homicidal
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2021, 04:22 AM   #8
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-200 View Post
100% a scam.
Hi, thanks for replies. Yes definitively same one. The one that pounced on me was also getting aggressive. The guy was not tall, and a little overweight. A little darker skin, maybe Malaysian or similar.

He asked if I was 'local' and based on that he tried to sell me the Osborne Park based 'voucher'. When I suggested I wasn't sure if I was being tricked, he showed me a thick pile of 'vouchers that he had made for other workshops south of the river also. So he obviously have deals with more shops,.. if this is real at all. Perhaps it's all scam.

I hate if elderly people are being taken advantage of by this agressive 'promo' guy. I'm sure he doesn't have the mandatory cool-off period etc, because you obviously can't find this guy if you regret what you spent $139 on.
Old 28-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #9
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I had exactly the same thing but the guy come into our reception, then upstairs into our offices and started yelling about the services.

Its the new white van with the blokes selling speakers.
The speakers you see and what's in the box are not the same, that's the scam, they have a second van nearby identical to the first, the one with the "real" speakers, lol.
They tell you a mate has the good speakers, the for sale ones!.
His are for display only!

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Has anyone contacted the first business mentioned? I tend to think it’s a complete fraud and they likely have no stake in it.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 09:37 AM   #11
tweeked
N/A all the way

I have seen one like this before as a legitimate "introductory" model. The price you get covers the labour, oil and filter of the service, and as the OP said, you cannot provide parts yourself. It is a good deal if you have a well maintained car. The workshop does its nuts on the first service, but gets a chance if they find other issues with the car and will make its margin on the parts. They also have an opportunity to build up a client base.

The marketer keeps the majority of the voucher value, so you can see the gamble the workshop takes. SO it is in the workshops interest to impress from there. What I did see was that since the offer is "cheap" many voucher purchasers who took it up brought in cars that hadn't been serviced for ever, didnt read or understand the T&C's, and expected that the "service" would fix their car for $139. They then scream when they are quoted on what is required to just make their cars safe.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #12
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well really as a start up ofer a $100 dollar service is still a bit of an earner.Bulk oil at around $1000/205 litres,so $20-25 for oil >$10 filter,leaves $60 labour for 1/2 hour job.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well really as a start up ofer a $100 dollar service is still a bit of an earner.Bulk oil at around $1000/205 litres,so $20-25 for oil >$10 filter,leaves $60 labour for 1/2 hour job.
The shop doesn't get the money, the marketer does. It is all about building a client base. The buyer just turns up with the voucher and the workshop honours it.

The danger is the marketer then pays someone on a commission basis to sell the vouchers. They have little understanding of what is a service versus what is maintenance, or little care at worst, they just want their commission. The workshop will be tarred by any non ethical, pushy commission based spruikers.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn’t be thinking that the marketer gets the whole $139.The marketer possibly gets most of the $39 and the shop gets the balance,so still maybe bit over $100
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 04:43 AM   #15
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Has anyone contacted the first business mentioned? I tend to think it’s a complete fraud and they likely have no stake in it.
Hi, Apology for late reply. Yes on Monday this week I called the business and asked them. They confirmed it isn't a total fraud, and that they were using this guy to bring in new Clients.

When I mentioned the method used, to jump at you in the Maccas queue when you are under pressure to make other decisions there too, and then turn aggressive when not buying from him, she admitted that 'yes this promoter has some personal issues'. (but he does sell really good at times..)

I suggested maybe it isn't such a positive thing for the shop to use a guy like this, she said she would mention my feedback to the manager.

I mentioned that I had discussed it on a car forum, and that one of you had said the same guy came to the workplace at Burswood. I got a 'thanks for contacting us'., and the one I spoke to was polite, and expressed that she was grateful I took the effort making them aware of this.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
she admitted that 'yes this promoter has some personal issues'. (but he does sell really good at times..)

I got a 'thanks for contacting us'., and the one I spoke to was polite, and expressed that she was grateful I took the effort making them aware of this.
She then turned around and said.....Dad we've had to many complaints about you, can you tone it down.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #17
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you took advantage of the initial 'good' deal, how many faults, real and imagined, would they find with your car to be fixed on a subsequent service ?
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #18
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I would have wound up the window after 'Hi'.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #19
Bushchook5
Starter Motor

Exclamation Re: Unsolicited 'promo' car service voucher while at Macca's drive through. (Keith Adamson Auto Repairs,

Same thing happened to me yesterday. This absolute tool (Nick, according to his shirt) accosted me at my own work. His sales spiel escalated to abuse and berating me for wasting his time, the fact he worked on commission etc. One of the rudest, most aggressive flogs I’ve ever met.

I called Keith Adamson office to let them know what had happened and Kerry (owners wife) said he doesn’t work for them directly and that he just brings them business. I told her that his behaviour was completely unacceptable and something needed to be done, she apologised, said she didn’t like him and said she’d speak with Keith.

He had absolutely no right to come into my workplace and intimidate me the way he did. POS.
Bushchook5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post