Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Great Carbon Credit Con

For some bizarre reason in Perth, we have Gas Resellers (much like the NBN). They don't have to do anything, don't even need a physical footprint in WA, they just send you the bill.
They all offer some level of discount to the stipulated tariff, so I suppose that's a good thing. And they offer various little perks, like flybuys, free Amazon Prime, etc.
Now the mob I went with, had another little lure, they claim that 25% of their energy is from renewables.
Obviously I called BS on that, I KNOW where the gas comes from.
at which point the customer service person admitted that actually they just pay a fee to be able to claim this. They wouldn't say how much, but I have to assume it's peanuts. They were already in front on price compared to the Flybuys and Velocity offers, and they paid my Amazon bill for a year.
And this isn't some option that I pay more for, it's gratis.

So to me, the obvious question is "why not pay half a cent more and claim 100% renewable?"
But would that make the BS too obvious?
This notion that we can solve all of the world's carbon emission problems just by paying a few cents in the dollar for "Carbon Credits"? Something just doesn't add up!

Logically this leaves only one of three possibilities:
  1. We don't have to worry about Carbon Emissions or Fossil Fuels. Just plant a few trees and the pronlem is solved.
  2. "Carbon Credits" aren't what we think they are.
  3. Somebody , somewhere, is cooking the books. Either double-dipping and claiming credits on renewables, grossly overestimating the carbon locked up, outright lying, or selling their own energy from carbon-neutral courses, and then also selling the credits.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post