Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Grima
Starter Motor

Default Keeping a car near the beach

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and I have a question that I really need some help with. We're getting lots of different opinions and I thought I would try to get a few more :

My husband and I have a few cars in our collection and we are thinking of purchasing a property that is around 1km from the bay. The property is not on or near the actual beach and we will not be driving the cars near the beach.

Of course our first concern is that the sea air may affect the cars and cause rust.

Most of the cars are not driven and will be kept in a sealed garage. They are kept meticulously clean and maintained.

I guess I'm wondering if the sea air is a factor and if so, can we prevent any rust from starting? Are there products that we can use, do we need to wash/wax more often....?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you :

Grima is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

i dont seem to have any problems or anyone around my house dosent i live on the beach and i dont seem to have any rust showing since ov owned the car (theres rust on it but from b4 i owned the car)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live near the coast and find lots of polish, and keep them well covered. Works for me. Cheers FERG.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the car's are in-side and generally kept clean and washed then it shouldn't be a problem.

I Spray a product called CRC Soft seal on the under body of my 4WD it's a Petroleum based Wax that seals metal parts from Rust & Corrosion, One application last's for 5 years If you are concerned you could always use this stuff to protect the under-body of the cars.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Grima and welcome. I would only say that you probably wouldn't see any effects for many years. As long as the corrosive salt air doesn't get a foot hold and the cars are washed regularly (don't forget underneath) it should be fine.
You will also find out here WE LOVE PHOTO'S, so you've teased us about your collection so please share, and we aren't so one eyed that it has to be Ford, most of us like anything thats nice.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

shouldnt be a problem if they are kept clean..you can always spray WD-40 on the rust prone areas, should stop salt water getting into it...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could maybe try something like this ERPS ???
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Yes, the electric rust prevention systems are good & do work. Another product which works is Lanolin, they even use it as anti-fouling on boats.
You can buy it in many forms.

I have family who live on the Gold Coast - the biggest problem they have is salt eating out the radiator cores from the outside.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

+ 1 for electronic rust prevention. There are a few different brands out there and not all of them are totally effective. do your research and you'll find a good one. The right one will help keep the paint from oxidising too. We have one on the missus' wagon and after a couple of years in the weather and just rudimentary cleaning plus the occasional polish ,(no cutting), it is still holding a good shine with no signs of deterioration.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yea well you never see a rusty sheet do ya..Lol..
Lanolin is top stuff.. The navy use to wash there cars with korosine [in cloth] as it washed out any water in undercover panels...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
YOOT
Banned

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Modern cars basically don't rust, sure they can but basically you'll never see it unless you damage it or mistreat it or its poorly manufactured.

Older cars maybe, but in 25 years of living 500m from salt water and having a fine layer of salt on the windshield every weekend of parking the car up I have never seen a spot of rust, even the ones I drive on the beach.

Although I have never had a car longer than 3 years as long as you wash it regularly (which you should do anyway as there are corrosives on the road and in the air) it will last as long as it can.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

these would do the trick wouldn't they -

http://www.carcoon.com.au/
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
Grima
Starter Motor

Wow - thanks for all the great advice!

We have the 'rust stop' brand of electronic rust inhibitors already, although I don't think we have used them yet. Some of the cars are living in Carcoon's at the moment and they have been pretty effective.

I'm starting to think we will be ok, which is good because this would have been a deal breaker. Don't worry about how many rooms the house has.....how big is the garage

Most of our cars will not be driven regularly and will probably be kept in their carcoon - depending on the type of shed we have on the property. Hubby is a FREAK when it comes to the cars being kept immaculate (inside, outside, underneath and on top!!) so I think we have all bases covered.

We have a small collection of Ford GT's (yes, a Ford family here) Probably my favorite is the XR GT - we were privileged enough to purchase the XR that you may have seen on the FPV 40th anniversary poster?? She is just a beautiful, classic car and drives like a dream

: I must be going loopy, I'm sitting here on a car forum. Well I figure the old saying is true. If you can't beat em....join em!
Grima is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no problem at all if car is garaged,a good friend of mine has an LJ XU1 Torana with 45,000 kms on clock thats in his garage of house actually backing onto the beach in Hervey Bay where its been since 1987 and has absolutly no rust ,just remember if you are going into a new home,then its very important to seal the concrete floor as theywill bring salt out (sweat) over the first few years rusting the bottom out of cars
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #15
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grima
Wow - thanks for all the great advice!

We have the 'rust stop' brand of electronic rust inhibitors already, although I don't think we have used them yet. Some of the cars are living in Carcoon's at the moment and they have been pretty effective.

I'm starting to think we will be ok, which is good because this would have been a deal breaker. Don't worry about how many rooms the house has.....how big is the garage

Most of our cars will not be driven regularly and will probably be kept in their carcoon - depending on the type of shed we have on the property. Hubby is a FREAK when it comes to the cars being kept immaculate (inside, outside, underneath and on top!!) so I think we have all bases covered.

We have a small collection of Ford GT's (yes, a Ford family here) Probably my favorite is the XR GT - we were privileged enough to purchase the XR that you may have seen on the FPV 40th anniversary poster?? She is just a beautiful, classic car and drives like a dream

: I must be going loopy, I'm sitting here on a car forum. Well I figure the old saying is true. If you can't beat em....join em!
Lucky you. Im green with envy.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post