Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-06-2021, 04:01 AM   #1
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Unsolicited 'promo' car service voucher while at Macca's drive through. (Keith Adamson Auto Repairs, KAR)

Hi,
Unsolicited sales at unexpected spots isn't great, and can be a nuisance.

Tonight I was sitting in the drive through line at a Macca's in a Perth industrial area trying to look at the menu etc, and this guy in high-vis pounces up at my driver's window. At this point I was only 2-3 cars behind the ordering spot at the drive through. The conversation went:
Hi, Do you need a car service? We are doing this great promo, Keith Adamson's workshop is just around the corner here, have you tried them before? Or would you like to buy this 12-month service voucher for only $139?
We are such a great workshop with years of happy customers etc.. bla bla..

The guy wanted to know details of how often I need a service, if it was due, or overdue etc, and he suddenly pulled out his pay terminal, and started insisting that I should pay for the $139 voucher that he had passed to me to read.

I suggested that if I wanted a service I would either do DIY, or go to the workshop myself, and check them out in advance, look at reviews etc.

He kept on pushing with all the various types of work that could be done (for free?) within the $139 voucher, such as re-gassing my airon etc. and it would apparently cover one major service and one minor service within this vouher. I said I don't have a leaking aircon.. oh but it should be re-gassed !
And don't you need a transmission service, shouldn't drive your car without that..

Anyway I suggested to him that see, the queue in front of me is gone, and all I want at this point is to drive forward and order food.

He kept going with oh but here is a second voucher for free within the price of the first one!! I suggested to him this is really fishy, Why should a workshop offer all this, usually workshops that are good are booked out weeks in advance.

Then he kept pushing if I had not heard about promotion sales, if he didn't sell me this voucher, he wouldn't get paid anything at all. He suggested I had vasted nearly 10 minutes of his time! He said he had sold 4000 of these vouchers and his customers were thrilled.

I said, I'm a little vary if this is for real, that got him even more persistent that this was real, and an extremely good deal, he pulled a bank card out of his wallet that had 'promotions' as part of the name, and he pulled out his phone starting to show me messages allegedly between him and the workshop.
He also had a shirt on under his high-vis jacket with the embroided logo of 'KAR Automotive'.

At this point he wanted to drop the price to $100 for whatever I was supposed to get. ( the two vouchers). Suggesting that he was going to run a personal loss on this.

There was a lot of small print at the bottom of this 'voucher'. For example that it wasn't valid for cars that were imported, and that it was based on buying parts for the repairs from KAR.

Anway, at this point the manager at Macca's turned up to ask what was going on, please move on.. need this lane flowing again. He glared at the 'promo' guy, but didn't say anything to him directly, and the promo-guy suddenly seemed more interesting in disappearing quickly.

When I came home I looked up Keith Adamson Auto Repairs. They do exist, but there was one review online that their receptionist is the most rude person someone has met.

I feel like calling them on Monday to ask if this was a scam, or if they really should run this type of agressive ambush sales outside Macca's.

Cheers,

Last edited by happy1; 27-06-2021 at 04:14 AM.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: