Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2020, 09:57 PM   #1651
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Our lovely local power hungry monkeys at Victoria Police are going to review all COVID-19 fines after more wrongful $1600 fines, this time for someone posting year old holiday photos on Facebook.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...8-b320335bc105

This is what happens when you give authoritarian powers without accountability.

More accountability required.
The problem with civics not being taught at school is people don't know what their rights are. You have no obligation to tell the Police anything other than your name and address, and let them know you're exercising your right to silence.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 10:03 PM   #1652
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The goal is not and was never to stop the virus. It's simply to enable the health system to cope.

Maybe some people would prefer to live in Italy or London or New York?

Seriously, people, just put your lives on hold for a few weeks. How hard is it. Look at our situation (Australia) compared to many other countries and just accept we are doing ok.
My wife wants to put her life on hold. But Morrison is on the news every night saying she should go to work because it's good for the economy. Who cares if you are crammed in a room with 30 kids, kids are magic they aren't affected by this. Just ignore the kids who have died from this overseas.

But she better not think about driving too far from home while isolated in her car or sit in the middle of a deserted park because that's not flattening the curve.

Quote:
Our lovely local power hungry monkeys at Victoria Police are going to review all COVID-19 fines after more wrongful $1600 fines, this time for someone posting year old holiday photos on Facebook.

This is what happens when you give authoritarian powers without accountability.

More accountability required.
With the number of retracted fines it's clear the cop don't even know the rules or maybe some just don't care and get off on writing fines.

It makes me wonder how many other people around the country have been unjustly fined but because their story got no media attention they are stuck with it.
I'm sure there will be a lot of people in court over the next few months fighting these fines. Good way to flatten the curve.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #1653
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Sorry everyone, but the thread is closed for another 24 hours. You can all thank Syndrome for that.

Just to clear it up, this thread was closed because of a number of reasons. I and a mod or two posted that the behaviour was to stop but some of the posters did not listen - it was not closed because it is a Ford Forum. Saying that, if anyone wants to send me a link to an automotive forum that has allowed this to be discussed to the extent that it has been on AFF please PM me a link and I will reconsider re-opening it.

Once it is re-opened it will be moderated very heavily. There will be no more trolling or abuse of each other. All posts will need to stay on topic.

As I have said countless times, if you have a problem with the way I moderate please send me a PM, as long it is not abusive it will be given consideration, you never know, your PM may just convince me to reverse a decision that I have made.
It is baffling that you could misunderstand my post. May I suggest you read it again?

It was a neutral post, not directed at anybody, nor questioning why the thread was closed. It was merely, as the thread title says, seeking clarification.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Old 15-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #1654
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
It is baffling that you could misunderstand my post. May I suggest you read it again?

It was a neutral post, not directed at anybody, nor questioning why the thread was closed. It was merely, as the thread title says, seeking clarification.

Don’t be obtuse. Everyone understood your post the first time around. The ground rules have been set. Play by them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #1655
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

You weren't being asked.

Your opinion wasn't being sought.

You were being told, so be told.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
4 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #1656
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
There's a homeless bloke wandering the streets of Yap Hoon. He used to dine at all the fine establishments in town. Now he just takes the scraps from the local bakery. How the mighty have fallen on hard times.........
I wasnt making any form of fun towards those without. Im reffering to proper mentally ill persons living on the streets. So not people able to not easily return to normal life, but the proper distanced from society. Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment, no temp accomodation, at the moment. Cooked meals are takeaway. People are people.
Old 15-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #1657
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I wasnt making any form of fun towards those without. Im reffering to proper mentally ill persons living on the streets. So not people able to not easily return to normal life, but the proper distanced from society. Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment, no temp accomodation, at the moment. Cooked meals are takeaway. People are people.
Buggerlugs was talking about a friend of ours who has a liking for fancy cakes..................or plain ones if fancy isn't available.
Old 15-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #1658
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Buggerlugs was talking about a friend of ours who has a liking for fancy cakes..................or plain ones if fancy isn't available.
He usta eat anything, sad to see a bloke go down hill so fast. Reduced to eating Cake of all things. Although he has developed a taste for it lately.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #1659
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Another way to look at it. If the WHO supports the reopening of these Chinese wet markets, are they privy to knowledge that the rest of the world doesn't know about? That being that Covid-19 had nothing to do with these wet markets to begin with?
The chinese govt will open their markets when they want to and not give a rats what WHO or anyone else says. Like any other country they are a bit averse to others telling them what to do. They weren't truthful with WHO about the virus from the start, why would anyone believe that has changed?

The wet markets are where the locals buy their meat, not just in China but all across Asia and Africa. Because poor areas lack refrigeration locals buy meat daily and some animals are kept alive until they are sold.

Lifting over a billion people out of poverty won't happen overnight.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 11:32 PM   #1660
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
The chinese govt will open their markets when they want to and not give a rats what WHO or anyone else says. Like any other country they are a bit averse to others telling them what to do. They weren't truthful with WHO about the virus from the start, why would anyone believe that has changed?

The wet markets are where the locals buy their meat, not just in China but all across Asia and Africa. Because poor areas lack refrigeration locals buy meat daily and some animals are kept alive until they are sold.

Lifting over a billion people out of poverty won't happen overnight.
It is true. Whose interest do they protect? Their own of course.

Whose interest should we protect, ours, but with a measure of generosity because we are a wealthy country.

I listen to the ABC anbd Raf Epstein spoke yesterday about the big advances that have been made as a result of previous pandemics. Stethoscopes, microscopes, lots more.

I think one result here is going to be better detection at the point of exit. Maybe when you walk through the metal detector, your temperature will be taken too. Lots of changes will come and I'm grateful my parents came to Oz in the 50s.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 12:23 AM   #1661
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Probably on a "Get fit Kick" so he can Ride that Pushbike...
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 12:30 AM   #1662
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Probably on a "Get fit Kick" so he can Ride that Pushbike...
Cav is never gonna ride that bike.... I've met the legend.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #1663
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I just got on carsales.com.au.

Almost 230,000 cars for sale.

I recall just a few months ago the number was just on 200,000.

There must be some good deals at the moment. A market flooded with cars for buyers with little money to spend.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 16-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #1664
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
...There must be some good deals at the moment. A market flooded with cars for buyers with little money to spend...
I‘m finding less bargains at the low end, than a year ago. Asking prices on s-boxes are up.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #1665
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment
Exactly. Have you laid eyes on Cav lately
Old 16-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #1666
Dave1966

Quote:
Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment, no temp accomodation, at the moment.
Not shaving or showering is part of my social distancing strategy. Works good as.

Your right mate, there’s a whole group at massive risk, many with serious issues.
Old 16-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #1667
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

While it's a bit unfortunate that each State has been able to adopt different 'rules' as to what is or isn't acceptable rather than have a Federally mandated approach, the written guides I've read (QLD, SA, NT, NSW & Vic) have been very clear about what you can and can't do and while there will always be edge cases common sense should prevail and only the anti-authoritarian or contumacious among society are going to even care.

You can hardly blame the police and protective services officers who've been given fairly vague guidelines about how to enforce the rules but that's why we have a system of judicial review to ensure that the system is fair.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #1668
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
While it's a bit unfortunate that each State has been able to adopt different 'rules' as to what is or isn't acceptable rather than have a Federally mandated approach, the written guides

That is a legacy from when this continent operated as separate colonies prior to 1901.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #1669
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My older sister called the COVID-19 advice line last week about her two medical appointments in Melbourne, they're both at different times during the same day at different places.

They advised her to:

A) Drive there and back for the first one, then drive out again for the second appointment (300km return trip, so 600km driving?)

B) Wait somewhere in between both appointment and see if you get fined
This is just what we're talking about ..Rules on the run without common sense necessarily being an option .. How'd she get on in the finish ?

What's going to happen if this sort of crap continues is it'll backfire on the various rule makers . .People really will jack up and rightly so .

A simple 'log a trip' phone call to spell out the reason why a circumstance like your sister is all that the authorities need to know , especially if a distance of say 100 km plus is involved .

Just a thought .
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #1670
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m insisting on advance emails from clients, that relate to longer journeys, and carrying a print of it on the passenger seat. A bit tedious but harder to dispute.

FC’s sister could similarly request email confirmation of each appointment and also print out the routing via Google Maps for each of the two options.

A web news article today (9 news) states what I’d observed recently - generally NSW punters were continuing to disregard the official rules where possible.
Old 16-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #1671
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I just got on carsales.com.au.

Almost 230,000 cars for sale.

I recall just a few months ago the number was just on 200,000.

There must be some good deals at the moment. A market flooded with cars for buyers with little money to spend.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Most manufacturers will list a generic version of every spec, transmission, engine and colour on carsales so there would be quite a few of these cars that don't necessarily exist.

Also the jump doesn't necessarily equate to dealers trying to pump stock - there could quite easily be a number of people who are now financially in troubled times and need to move on assets.
Old 16-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #1672
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m insisting on advance emails from clients, that relate to longer journeys, and carrying a print of it on the passenger seat. A bit tedious but harder to dispute.

FC’s sister could similarly request email confirmation of each appointment and also print out the routing via Google Maps for each of the two options.

A web news article today (9 news) states what I’d observed recently - generally NSW punters were continuing to disregard the official rules where possible.
Just wait to see how bad it gets if this continues for too long . Our way of life is not used to anything resembling authoritarian rule even if we understand why the Government is trying to enforce it for our good . It's hard to swallow despite how understandable it is . That's how it is for most of us I'm sure.

We get fed up with being told like little kids to stay home , wash your hands, social distance at all times and stuff too.. Most aren't idiots (some are) and maybe a bit like kids some rebel or show defiance when told to do or not to do something . Maybe it's a subliminal thing .

This is how I feel and I'm being totally honest . I hate being here on my own . Reading , posting stuff on AFF , watching movies , a bit of housework , starting to muck around with my old ride on as a bit of a project , once a day taking the dogs for walk and a quick visit to our local supermarket is fine but wearing really really thin already .Might be fine with some being limited to a fraction of things we like but it's driving me nuts and can only imagine how much more frustrating this will be after a couple of months .

I'd rather be at work . Never ever thought I'd say that . So from now til Sunday that'll be it unless I find out from TasPol I won't get grief if I can go for a fish for a couple of hours between now and then by myself . Not liking my chances by the way and will have to abide by it . No rule breaker here .

On Monday and Tuesday I have to work but then from Wed to Sun next week it'll be like the past week just described .

Necessary certainly but frustrating and mind numbing weeks to endure . God help Scomo and his cronies if this ends up not being the overall best approach. I hope for everybody's sake it is.

Genuine question here Be honest ...How many of you feel somewhat violated by all this as we speak despite the good reasons for why it's happening.
Old 16-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #1673
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
This is just what we're talking about ..Rules on the run without common sense necessarily being an option .. How'd she get on in the finish ?
Yes, they should have referred to how they went about it last time it happened... oh wait, its a first time. Yes, that was sarcasm.

look around the world. every govt is doing the same or similar things. why should you feel like you deserve special treatment.

no police officer on the planet would fine Franco's sister if she waited around somewhere for her second appointment, given the logistics involved.

If you think the govt should spell out every single situation then you are living in pre school land. Thankfully it appears the majority of people do get the idea behind it all and are staying home except for essential travel (food, work, doc etc etc). The rest are the 'anti authoritarian' that Russ mentioned in his post. You get a few people that think the rules don't apply to them, and then you get the element that think they are now missing out 'oh, look at them, they are doing xyz... that's not fair, why can't i do that.. etc etc'
Old 16-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #1674
prydey
Rob

Quote:
This is how I feel and I'm being totally honest . I hate being here on my own . Reading , posting stuff on AFF , watching movies , a bit of housework , starting to muck around with my old ride on as a bit of a project , once a day taking the dogs for walk and a quick visit to our local supermarket is fine but wearing really really thin already .Might be fine with some being limited to a fraction of things we like but it's driving me nuts and can only imagine how much more frustrating this will be after a couple of months .

I'd rather be at work . Never ever thought I'd say that . So from now til Sunday that'll be it unless I find out from TasPol I won't get grief if I can go for a fish for a couple of hours between now and then by myself . Not liking my chances by the way and will have to abide by it . No rule breaker here .

On Monday and Tuesday I have to work but then from Wed to Sun next week it'll be like the past week just described .

Necessary certainly but frustrating and mind numbing weeks to endure . God help Scomo and his cronies if this ends up not being the overall best approach. I hope for everybody's sake it is.
Would you rather be dead? Or be responsible for killing someone else?

Yes, that is a very extreme view, but it is a possibility.

Quote:
Genuine question here Be honest ...How many of you feel somewhat violated by all this as we speak despite the good reasons for why it's happening.
Not me.
Old 16-04-2020, 12:31 PM   #1675
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quick decisions had to be made (people would complain if they were not), you get some errors when you have to do that.

But, id rather action than multiple meetings going no where and inaction.

All the petals with their "liberties" being taken away need to grow up and chill out. Once it is over if the focus is still there and is heavy handed then thats a different story.

Its going to be OK people; surely someone has done on of the "keep calm" signs by now.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
7 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #1676
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
While it's a bit unfortunate that each State has been able to adopt different 'rules' as to what is or isn't acceptable rather than have a Federally mandated approach, the written guides I've read (QLD, SA, NT, NSW & Vic) have been very clear about what you can and can't do and while there will always be edge cases common sense should prevail and only the anti-authoritarian or contumacious among society are going to even care.

You can hardly blame the police and protective services officers who've been given fairly vague guidelines about how to enforce the rules but that's why we have a system of judicial review to ensure that the system is fair.
I watched a press conference one morning where the reporters we're asking all types of stupid questions about what could and couldn't be done, the reply was, stop looking for loopholes.
This seems to be the problem, the main message from the start has been stay home unless absolutely necessary and with that those who just refuse to acknowledge the first part of the sentence have been busy looking for any angle they can fit their own interests into the latter, all the time hiding behind the idea that the rules aren't clear enough.
Thing is, if the rules we're crystal clear they'd be up in arms about the rules being too stringent.

This is just an extension of the modern trend of wanting to find a problem and be offended with everything.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #1677
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960

With one person in our household in the vulnerable category and both of us over 60 we are more than happy to comply with the requirements - indeed we are probably going above and beyond them for our own protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
If you think the govt should spell out every single situation then you are living in pre school land. Thankfully it appears the majority of people do get the idea behind it all and are staying home except for essential travel (food, work, doc etc etc). The rest are the 'anti authoritarian' that Russ mentioned in his post. You get a few people that think the rules don't apply to them, and then you get the element that think they are now missing out 'oh, look at them, they are doing xyz... that's not fair, why can't i do that.. etc etc'
Nailed it.

We've taken a conservative approach whereby: (1) we're now not venturing out for food and groceries as we are having them home delivered; (2) the local medical practice are doing Webex consultations so that's another reason off the list and (3) almost everything else is on the not necessary list.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #1678
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Quick decisions had to be made (people would complain if they were not), you get some errors when you have to do that.

But, id rather action than multiple meetings going no where and inaction.

All the petals with their "liberties" being taken away need to grow up and chill out. Once it is over if the focus is still there and is heavy handed then thats a different story.

Its going to be OK people; surely someone has done on of the "keep calm" signs by now.
My whole point is this ..We'll do it , most will hate every second of it . Many will undoubtedly have mental and other health issues (not least those waiting for elective surgeries) . Some others worrying financial problems during and after it's over and then there's the education issues to deal with . But we'll do it because if it means less people die it's how it has to be . That's that .

Your' chill out' comment does not wash with me . Any normal person with a disrupted life is not going to chill out for a long time.Maybe be when some part of normality resumes . If you can that's great , but there are millions who will find chilling out is something that they will find hard to do for a while. I'm one of them .
Old 16-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #1679
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Would you rather be dead? Or be responsible for killing someone else?

Yes, that is a very extreme view, but it is a possibility.

Not me.
Good..On the question i asked..

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-04-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 16-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #1680
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

roddy1960 I hear you and wholehearted agree BUT I'm also having to suck it up as much as I wish to go about as I used to but I got to think about others not just me.
The wife and my 3kids, my parents one 90 other 88 touch wood are still on the go I'm loling my Mum is going batty wanting the old man to jump in the car to go out shopping etc, my sister calls me can I please put them in their place and stay home !
Were all in this mosh pit and it is challenging - heck covid is going to also increase the divorce rate talking mental probs mine incl lol.......
The knock off effect on all things people mention is going to hurt - more so the social issues that I really feel for - as mentioned were going to be a very different world once this gets under control, I don't care about the financial aspect of it for lives are worth far more than any monitery factor imo...
Money has ruined the world in the big picture, health and our freedom is worth more than anything else broke or not.
Hang in there mate.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread