Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #1621
hayseed

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Is there any reliable date available for the African Continent..???

I would've thought given the Abject poverty, & non existent Health System/s It'd be running Rife through them..!!!

Yet you never hear or read of a thing..!!
Old 15-04-2020, 02:26 PM   #1622
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Given the moderators post I'm not sure if this is on topic. I'll ask, and if it's inappropriate please suggest the correct place.

Is there anywhere we can either read about or ask about specific situations where an activity is allowed or disallowed under the lockdown ?

Here is queensland I can't make head nor tail of it.

Boating appears to be allowed. Motorcycling isn't.

You can go to kmart or bunnings but it's unclear, at least to me, if you are allowed to buy and sell on gumtree.

Some businesses are specifically locked down, cinemas, cafes etc, but the building industry is somehow "essential" ??

There is no rational definition of "local".

At the risk of being political, it seems the laws have been kept deliberately inconsistent and ambiguous so you can't find out for sure before leaving home and once out you are at the mercy of the cops, at $1300 a pop. I believe those interstate are facing similar issues.

So is there a way I'm not aware of to educate yourself on this ? or get a permission slip ?

And I'm really NOT trying to start a flame war, political war or anything else. I am genuinely baffled, and it's a genuine concern for me. I have no income. I have people wanting to buy stuff off me on gumtree, and an opportunity to mow some friend's lawns for $. There are others with genuine situations that aren't being addressed at all by the platitudes and double speak of our fearless leaders. Some of us don't get welfare and the free money being hosed around by our pork barrelers in chief (from both sides of the aisle).
4 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #1623
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I had a long winded post typed out but when I went to read it back even I got bored with it and stopped reading.

So, I'm going to keep it to three simple points;

1. If you having a little evil laugh to yourself while typing or sending a post then you are probably trolling. Any trolling will result in a warning and possible ban.

2. If you are smashing your keys into the keyboard your post is probably abusive and/or inappropriate. If it is abusive you will receive a ban. If it is inappropriate, for example, racist, you may find yourself permanently banned.

3. If you type the words such as mod, moderator, moderation and/or that ****wit with the green username (I'm paraphrasing) you are more than likely having a go at the moderation/admin team. Any posts of this nature will result in you being banned from AFF.

Thread is now re-opened. Everyone please play nice.
THANKS PG..
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #1624
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Given the moderators post I'm not sure if this is on topic. I'll ask, and if it's inappropriate please suggest the correct place.

Is there anywhere we can either read about or ask about specific situations where an activity is allowed or disallowed under the lockdown ?

You can go to kmart or bunnings but it's unclear, at least to me, if you are allowed to buy and sell on gumtree.

Some businesses are specifically locked down, cinemas, cafes etc, but the building industry is somehow "essential" ??

At the risk of being political, it seems the laws have been kept deliberately inconsistent and ambiguous so you can't find out for sure before leaving home and once out you are at the mercy of the cops, at $1300 a pop. I believe those interstate are facing similar issues.

So is there a way I'm not aware of to educate yourself on this ? or get a permission slip ?

And I'm really NOT trying to start a flame war, political war or anything else. I am genuinely baffled, and it's a genuine concern for me. I have no income. I have people wanting to buy stuff off me on gumtree, and an opportunity to mow some friend's lawns for $. There are others with genuine situations that aren't being addressed at all by the platitudes and double speak of our fearless leaders. Some of us don't get welfare and the free money being hosed around by our pork barrelers in chief (from both sides of the aisle).
Yeah, im not sure that random people on a forum should be giving advice about whats legal and whats not during these times, best to give your local MP or cop shop a call.
Old 15-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #1625
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:

Have you read this?

Home Confinement requirements in Queensland

A person who resides in Queensland must not leave their principal place of residence except for, and only to the extent reasonably necessary to accomplish, the following permitted purposes:
to obtain food or other essential goods or services;
to obtain medical treatment or other health care services;
to engage in physical exercise;
to perform work or volunteering, or carry out or conduct an essential business, activity or undertaking, and the work, business activity or undertaking to be performed is of a nature that cannot reasonably be performed from the person’s principal place of residence;
to visit another person’s residence in accordance with paragraph 9;
education and early childhood workers may travel to and from their home centre over the term 1 break;
to visit a terminally ill relative or to attend a funeral or wedding, subject to any applicable restrictions under other relevant Public Health Directions;
to provide assistance, care or support to an immediate family member;
to attend any court or tribunal of Australia or to comply with or give effect to orders of the court or tribunal of Australia;
to attend a childcare facility, school, university, or other educational institution, to the extent care or instruction cannot reasonably be obtained in the person’s principal place of residence;
to assist with or participate in an investigation or other action by a law enforcement authority, whether voluntarily or not;
for children under 18 years who do not live in the same household as their biological parents or siblings or one of their parents or siblings, continuing existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children and siblings, but not allowing access or contact with vulnerable groups or persons;
Example of a vulnerable group or person – a person over 70 years or a person with a medical condition that makes them vulnerable to COVID-19

avoiding injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm;
Example – escaping a risk of harm related to domestic and family violence

to comply with or give effect to the exercise of a power or function of a government agency or entity under a law.
https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system...ring-direction
Old 15-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #1626
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
On that data, the vast majority of countries with a high fatality case-rate have universal healthcare.
Slow to react + slow to lockdown + slow to social distance + dismissive = overwhelmed healthcare system = many deaths

Some countries have next to no healthcare = more deaths
Old 15-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #1627
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

I would've thought given the Abject poverty, & non existent Health System/s It'd be running Rife through them..!!!

Not a lot of data yet but most of the mortality rates on the small sample data available are below 2% except for Algeria which is nearly 16% although the average of the 8 countries I looked at is 5.46% (8,513 cases and 449 deaths) but only South Africa has conducted any real volume of testing.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 03:49 PM   #1628
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Our lovely local power hungry monkeys at Victoria Police are going to review all COVID-19 fines after more wrongful $1600 fines, this time for someone posting year old holiday photos on Facebook.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-a...8-b320335bc105

This is what happens when you give authoritarian powers without accountability.

Quote:
In a leaked internal memo, one of the state's most senior officers said the force's lack of consistency and discretion in enforcing lockdown laws was eroding public confidence in Victoria Police.

He urged members to reserve fines for only the most blatant and deliberate breaches.
More accountability required.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-04-2020 at 03:56 PM.
7 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #1629
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

So what is the goal?

To stop infections completely?
The goal is not and was never to stop the virus. It's simply to enable the health system to cope.

Maybe some people would prefer to live in Italy or London or New York?

Seriously, people, just put your lives on hold for a few weeks. How hard is it. Look at our situation (Australia) compared to many other countries and just accept we are doing ok.
Old 15-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #1630
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

The virus appears to be a first world problem. Much of it spread around by travel.
Old 15-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #1631
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The virus appears to be a first world problem. Much of it spread around by travel.
Or you mean appears to be the first world is actually reporting accurate data.

China isn't exactly well known for its truthfulness.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #1632
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree. Here's something confusing about recreational fishing to prove your point a bit .

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...a-qld/12117582.. The different States vary and even in Tasmania which as you can see allows a person to go for a fish fo your mental wellbeing reasons. However in the Tas Gov guidelines below you need to consider that it's essential ...How long is a piece of string then.

https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/sea-fishin...ng-information. .

So, how does a person prove it's essential ? . Do you need some sort of doctor certificate to say that if the fisheries cops turn up ?

I wish they'd just say fishing with one or two people is permitted with social distancing adopted if more than one person or no it isn't . One or the other.

I'd love to flick a line for a couple of hours to break up the boredom of being on my own stuck at home since Thursday other than grocery and dog exercise reasons but no way will I do it if it risks health (mine or sombody elses) or breaking any current bans illegally.

Might need to ring Tasmania Police next day or two to see how they feel and if it really is okay to head off on my own to the estuary to ease the tension and frustration a bit .

These restrictions are important but surely they can make them clearer to understand . Can't they ?

Last edited by roddy1960; 15-04-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 15-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #1633
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Have you read this?
Yes I have. It barely matches reality. Vague and irrational.

I wasn't looking for legal advice nor opinions from people on this forum. I guess I didn't make that clear. I have been wondering if I've missed something, whether our fearless leaders had actually done something useful and put in a portal for questions, or a helpline that actually answers questions. I thought maybe I'd managed to overlook this and others had found it.

So if anyone has found a magic doorway to specific answers please do let me know. I don't want to encourage speculation.

It's really hard not to turn nasty talking about this. I have a really low opinion of the government at the best of times but even I am shocked at how
spectacularly they have made a mess of this.
Old 15-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #1634
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Might need to ring Tasmania Police next day or two to see how they feel and if it really is okay to head off on my own to the estuary to ease the tension and frustration a bit .

These restrictions are important but surely they can make them clearer to understand . Can't they ?
These laws were rushed through and I think it shows. Nobody in the current parliament has any experience with something like this and that shows too. If you decide to go fishing that shouldn't be an issue; if we all decide to go fishing then maybe there's a crowd at the boat ramp.

Friends called their local cop shop with a question about a similar issue. They were told someone would get back to them. That was two weeks ago.
Old 15-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #1635
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes I have. It barely matches reality. Vague and irrational.

I wasn't looking for legal advice nor opinions from people on this forum. I guess I didn't make that clear. I have been wondering if I've missed something, whether our fearless leaders had actually done something useful and put in a portal for questions, or a helpline that actually answers questions. I thought maybe I'd managed to overlook this and others had found it.

So if anyone has found a magic doorway to specific answers please do let me know. I don't want to encourage speculation.

It's really hard not to turn nasty talking about this. I have a really low opinion of the government at the best of times but even I am shocked at how
spectacularly they have made a mess of this.
The rules are there.

Stay at home except for ......

I believe Australia is probably one of the best-performing countries in dealing with the virus so I'd like to know the basis of your statement I have put in bold.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #1636
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

There are a lot of people who live aboard boats, especially in QLD, don't know many living on their motorbike...(except for the forum poster last week looking for a station wagon.)

Old 15-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #1637
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
There are a lot of people who live aboard boats, especially in QLD, don't know many living on their motorbike...(except for the forum poster last week looking for a station wagon.)
There's this kid that lives close to me...I swear he lives on his trail bike . Even on Saturday mornings at 6 am many times...Nice kid though..
Old 15-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #1638
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

First man jailed in Australia for breaching COVID-19 quarantine, sneaking out to catch up with the missus:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...hotel/12149908

6 months 2 weeks sentence, 5 months suspended
Old 15-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #1639
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
When I went overseas in the 70's I had to carry a vaccination booklet with a record of all the shots I had; it was necessary to get into some countries.

Of course that was before the mind control chip was included.
We needed a similar book for Africa - it was yellow if I recall?

That was only 9 years ago.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 15-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #1640
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Will be interesting to see how China finishes up now that they've relaxed travel within the country again . I'll be really convinced that they've got it under control if there is no real evidence to show a spike in cases by the end of the month. Let's hope there is no dramatic spike .
When I saw that they relaxed their lockdown showing what looked like thousands of people all crammed together out and about I had a moment thinking it was way to early.

Yesterday I read online that for the first time there was a small spike in cases in China.

They should have waited another week IMO.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 15-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #1641
.:4:.
Kicking back

The seagulls at circular quay dont know what to do with themselves. They dont even move when you walk past because theres no one around to harrass for food. However i have seen on a couple occasions people walk out of maccas and be foolish enough to open the bag for a chip or 2 and get swarmed buy stupid birds that dont know how to feed themselves in the wild. Im also noticing homeless people, proper ones, i dont see in town anymore. Dunno where theyve gone or how theyre surviving as the bins and ashtrays are empty pretty much. Yeah theyre the typically mentally ill forgotten people, but theyre still people.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #1642
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19

Sydneians are further losing interest in the new rules, at least in terms of personal movement. Roads today (north of the harbour) were near on typically busy for the time of year. Yesterday was busy right to the Hunter Expressway and beyond.

The tip was pumping, yet they had a sign saying "COVID-19 Reconsider your Visit" - I thought what, dump stuff in the bush instead? Office type businesses near me are skulking back towards normal hours. The takeaways have people lounging outside on the railings while others queue in the "new awkward" spacing that is promulgated.

Inspecting a car yesterday was weird, the vendor and I sarcastically mimed a handshake from 2m separation (good he had a sense of humour warped as mine). It's like stopping a leak midstream, these revised rules for greetings - you never quite feels you've "met" someone properly or ended a meeting.
Old 15-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #1643
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Covid 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Sydneians are further losing interest in the new rules, at least in terms of personal movement. Roads today (north of the harbour) were near on typically busy for the time of year.

The tip was pumping, yet they had a sign saying "COVID-19 Reconsider your Visit" - I thought what, dump stuff in the bush instead? Office type businesses near me are skulking back towards normal hours. The takeaways have people lounging outside on the railings while others queue in the "new awkward" spacing that is promulgated.
In the suburbs its busier then ever. Its the cbd thats a ghost town. Went to bunnings on saturday and it was packed. They couldnt enforce most the rules.
Old 15-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #1644
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Melbourne roads are picking up again, its getting busier so people are obviously going back to the office.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #1645
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My older sister called the COVID-19 advice line last week about her two medical appointments in Melbourne, they're both at different times during the same day at different places.

They advised her to:

A) Drive there and back for the first one, then drive out again for the second appointment (300km return trip, so 600km driving?)

B) Wait somewhere in between both appointment and see if you get fined
Old 15-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #1646
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The seagulls at circular quay dont know what to do with themselves. They dont even move when you walk past because theres no one around to harrass for food. However i have seen on a couple occasions people walk out of maccas and be foolish enough to open the bag for a chip or 2 and get swarmed buy stupid birds that dont know how to feed themselves in the wild. Im also noticing homeless people, proper ones, i dont see in town anymore. Dunno where theyve gone or how theyre surviving as the bins and ashtrays are empty pretty much. Yeah theyre the typically mentally ill forgotten people, but theyre still people.
There's a homeless bloke wandering the streets of Yap Hoon. He used to dine at all the fine establishments in town. Now he just takes the scraps from the local bakery. How the mighty have fallen on hard times.........
6 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #1647
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
China has had the W.H.O. under it's thumb for decades.
Proof?

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6149170157001
Old 15-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #1648
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Another way to look at it. If the WHO supports the reopening of these Chinese wet markets, are they privy to knowledge that the rest of the world doesn't know about? That being that Covid-19 had nothing to do with these wet markets to begin with?
Old 15-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #1649
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Another way to look at it. If the WHO supports the reopening of these Chinese wet markets, are they privy to knowledge that the rest of the world doesn't know about? That being that Covid-19 had nothing to do with these wet markets to begin with?
Wrong room. Conspiracy theories are straight down the hall behind the door marked USA.
Old 15-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #1650
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Trump Administration has stopped funding WHO to the tune of $400-500 million.
The US Surgeon General has told Gates, CDC and WHO their modelling has been wrong and will be ignored moving forward. They're not looking at removing restrictions in around 25 states with low infection rates to get their economies going.

It's very disappointing to hear our Treasurer Josh Frydenburg will not stop funding WHO. Interesting to note none of the MP's are willing to take a pay cut like the rest of the working class have had to. Do as we say, not as we do.
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread