Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #181
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2nd Great Depression is coming

yahoo article says 65 billion wiped off local shares today, the downward spiral continues.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #182
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
However in thinking about it, no doubt if you worked at S&P and had prior knowledge of the downgrade you could make a reasonable amount of money
yes, put-options have been used 'dodgily' for a long time
Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #183
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
yes, put-options have been used 'dodgily' for a long time
Yep could short sell on the Friday (prior to the annoucement) As Gobes stated, it would be great to have a crystal ball - well I suppose some people have access to information that enables them to be guage future movements, better than the general public

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #184
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
So the US Government didnt agree with the downgrade and has decided to investigate S&P - bit concerned by that - surely they can conceed that their debt levels were high and can understand why they were downgraded. Other agencies have them as negative outlook which means they may downgrade them as well (Will be interesting to see what Moody's decides as they are owned by Warren Buffet and he has already said that S&P shouldnt have downgraded Americas rating)

Was a bit concerned with Obamas speech - something along the lines of America is and always will be a tripple A rated country. Their rating is set by outside agencies (S&P just happen to be the biggest and argueably most influential) A rating it is and be shouldnt be dictacted by politics. If the rating is that important to them, then they need to make some changes to regain their rating. Otherwise why dont Greece and Ireland simply set their own rating?

However in thinking about it, no doubt if you worked at S&P and had prior knowledge of the downgrade you could make a reasonable amount of money
No its not. In dollar terms it sounds like a lot, but in the same way a millionaire buying a Merc isnt realy spending anymore than someone buying an XR6. Its all proportional in terms of cost, note not price. Also note Im not saying the Debt level is great, Im saying its not all that bad considering the the times we've been living in since Sep 11, and its very much related as a large part of the debt is related to funding two wars, along with tax reduction and 'trickle down' economic policies over the last 10yrs. Clinton left the US with a Debt to GDP ratio of around 56%, the latest figures Ive seen show it around 92% (est will be around 95% this year), and Obama inherited 86%. The forecast in 2001 was a very rosy one for the US, something happened. Given our own prosperity in that same time frame, Id say there was nothing wrong with the forecast.

US Debt to GDP is very similar to ours. While countries that people are bleating about that the US are heading towards like Greece have Debt to GDP ratios of more than 130%.

S&P are being investigated to establish if they had sound financial reasoning for the announcement, or other motives such as 'rattling' the market for certain people to take advantage of. Its not unheard of. Add in to that S&P got many of the large companies in the GFC very wrong, they failed to downgrade companies despite those companies being in very clear danger. Again, motivations could be questioned. They have a poor recent record. In the meantime, other ratings agencies have done no downgrading of the US, a negative outlook is not the same as a downgrading or a sign it will be, its just a status that says the outlook is not so rosy as straight out AAA. Not to be ignored, but not something to panic over.

Its less about the employees of S&P, and more about the heads and their close friends. If anyone that is.

Theres enough reason to warrant investigation IMO.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #185
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Look at the entry called "US Unfunded Liabilities". That is the true US national debt. Then chuck on top the $612 trillion in currency and credit derivatives...

If my maths serves me correctly, $722 trillion divided by $14 trillion (GDP) is... 51 (and change).

Last edited by charles_wif_xf; 09-08-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #186
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
yes it's a sign indeed, not necessarily one that's going to stay around though
Yeah well, thats the 14 trillion dollar question isnt it?

Depends on why the AUD is falling to the US, is it some level of confidence in the $US returning, or is it a lack of confidence in the $AUD. So I guess im saying is the $AUD falling, or is the $US strengthening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Look at the entry called "US Unfunded Liabilities". That is the true US national debt. Then chuck on top the $612 trillion in currency and credit derivatives...
Mate those types of liabilities have been around for more than 60 yrs. Its all a very scary looking meter, but it really is just fear induced. Its no different to buying a house, you rarely earn annually what it takes to buy it. Let alone after all the costs come from you annual wage to pay for everything else. Yet do it we do.

Nations have longer lifetimes than people buying a house. The entire capitalist system is a pyramid, or a ponzie scheme, but would you prefer communism?

Last edited by fmc351; 09-08-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #187
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
No its not. In dollar terms it sounds like a lot, but in the same way a millionaire buying a Merc isnt realy spending anymore than someone buying an XR6. Its all proportional in terms of cost, note not price. Also note Im not saying the Debt level is great, Im saying its not all that bad considering the the times we've been living in since Sep 11, and its very much related as a large part of the debt is related to funding two wars, along with tax reduction and 'trickle down' economic policies over the last 10yrs. Clinton left the US with a Debt to GDP ratio of around 56%, the latest figures Ive seen show it around 92% (est will be around 95% this year), and Obama inherited 86%. The forecast in 2001 was a very rosy one for the US, something happened. Given our own prosperity in that same time frame, Id say there was nothing wrong with the forecast.

US Debt to GDP is very similar to ours. While countries that people are bleating about that the US are heading towards like Greece have Debt to GDP ratios of more than 130%.

S&P are being investigated to establish if they had sound financial reasoning for the announcement, or other motives such as 'rattling' the market for certain people to take advantage of. Its not unheard of. Add in to that S&P got many of the large companies in the GFC very wrong, they failed to downgrade companies despite those companies being in very clear danger. Again, motivations could be questioned. They have a poor recent record. In the meantime, other ratings agencies have done no downgrading of the US, a negative outlook is not the same as a downgrading or a sign it will be, its just a status that says the outlook is not so rosy as straight out AAA. Not to be ignored, but not something to panic over.

Its less about the employees of S&P, and more about the heads and their close friends. If anyone that is.

Theres enough reason to warrant investigation IMO.
Correct me if I am wrong, however I thought Australia debt to GDP was less than 30%. I beleive the concern is that the US is getting closer to the 100% figure which is what has some people concerned.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #188
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Yeah well, thats the 14 trillion dollar question isnt it?

Depends on why the AUD is falling to the US, is it some level of confidence in the $US returning, or is it a lack of confidence in the $AUD. So I guess im saying is the $AUD falling, or is the $US strengthening?

Not my area of expertise obviously but wouldn't the answer to that question be in the comparison of those respective currencies with other major currencies such as the British Pound, Euro, Yen etc?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #189
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, however I thought Australia debt to GDP was less than 30%. I beleive the concern is that the US is getting closer to the 100% figure which is what has some people concerned.
30%? Bwahahahahqhahahasaha cough choke... oh dear god thats funny.

Ours is around 95%. Or was in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Not my area of expertise obviously but wouldn't the answer to that question be in the comparison of those respective currencies with other major currencies such as the British Pound, Euro, Yen etc?
Well yes and no. Depends on what is happening to those currencies too from their own respective economic positions.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #190
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ours is around 95%. Or was in 2010..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_public_debt

I was slack and got some info from Wikipedia (yes I know not the best source of info) But I remember some statment awhile ago about Australias debt and it wasnt too bad.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #191
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

Ours is around 95%. Or was in 2010.

Well yes and no. Depends on what is happening to those currencies too from their own respective economic positions.
22.4% as of june 30 2010

sorry SB076 seen after posting haha

any way source Australian bureau statistics
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/5206.0

Last edited by burnz; 09-08-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #192
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
22.4% as of june 30 2010

sorry SB seen after posting haha

any way source abs
Cheers thats a far better source than mine.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #193
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the confusion might be the household debt. I thought that was at levels around 120% of income.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #194
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
22.4% as of june 30 2010

sorry SB076 seen after posting haha

any way source Australian bureau statistics
Well lets keep numbers straight, public debt or external debt? Are we including private debt, or just the public debt?

Because the US number of $14 trillion which has everyone scared is external debt. And when it comes to external debt, we both have an external debt position that is 95% of GDP.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_public_debt

I was slack and got some info from Wikipedia (yes I know not the best source of info) But I remember some statment awhile ago about Australias debt and it wasnt too bad.
Nothing wrong wiki in most cases. 30% is not exactly possible when national debt is pushing $1 trillion, and GDP was $1.2 trillion (2009) and I think $930 billion in 2010. The 14 trillion everyone is talking about that the US owes is external debt, and that is 95% of their GDP, which is 45k for every citizen. Ours is also 95% yet is slightly more per person around $52k per person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._external_debt
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #195
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well lets keep numbers straight, public debt or external debt? Are we including private debt, or just the public debt?

Because the US number of $14 trillion which has everyone scared is external debt. And when it comes to external debt, we both have an external debt position that is 95% of GDP.

Nothing wrong wiki in most cases. 30% is not exactly possible when national debt is pushing $1 trillion, and GDP was $1.2 trillion (2009) and I think $930 billion in 2010. The 14 trillion everyone is talking about that the US owes is external debt, and that is 95% of their GDP, which is 45k for every citizen. Ours is also 95% yet is slightly more per person around $52k per person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._external_debt
I would assume we would be refering to public debt, according to the link I posted the US public debt is far greater than Australia relative to GDP

EDIT Market is almost back to where it was at the start of the day and may even end up in positive territory - Thats an impressive turnaround - think the only think we can be certain of is volatility. Who would thought at 11am the market was over 200 points down - now its less than 10 points down and may even end up in positive territory.

Last edited by SB076; 09-08-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #196
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would assume we would be refering to public debt, according to the link I posted the US public debt is far greater than Australia relative to GDP

EDIT Market is almost back to where it was at the start of the day and may even end up in positive territory - Thats an impressive turnaround - think the only think we can be certain of is volatility. Who would thought at 11am the market was over 200 points down - now its less than 10 points down and may even end up in positive territory.

Amazing. Simply amazing. up 0.5%. There are some bears out there with balls the size of watermelons. Nice work lads (and gals).
Old 09-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #197
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well must admit I was wrong with my prediction - I am surprised - I didnt think you could make 5% return within one day betting on the all ords.

Lot to be said for buying good stock at a good price and ignoring the ups and downs of the markets. I still beleive their are issues with the economy and suggest we may end in a recession (not depression) But hopefully for all this either doesnt eventuate or is only for a very short period of time

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #198
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well must admit I was wrong with my prediction - I am surprised - I didnt think you could make 5% return within one day betting on the all ords.

Lot to be said for buying good stock at a good price and ignoring the ups and downs of the markets. I still beleive their are issues with the economy and suggest we may end in a recession (not depression) But hopefully for all this either doesnt eventuate or is only for a very short period of time
Agreed, no one wants a recession... but a QE3 could be so dangerous for the long term outcome. America and the rest of the world just can't keep borrowing money to plug bigger and bigger holes.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #199
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackoTJK
Ok, so I'm an agricultural mechanic. Last year was the first decent crop after a 10 year drought. In the past 6 months we have sold 5 new headers ($600,000 each) 22 tractors (avg $125,000 each) and assorted goodies like spreaders and augers. Keep in mind we are in a town numbering 7000 in the shire and have 9 people in the entire shop including sparies! Plus the average rainfall is back to being decent so this year looks to be AWESOME and sheep prices are up giving farmers MORE to spend! Factor in that, what, 70% of Australia's income is from Primary Industries including mining, and Asia are our MAIN interest, then tell me when this recession is meant to begin again?

sorry if this is getting too economic, just too much doom and gloom when Ag is up :(
Wash your mouth out, Shame on you...........spreading good economic news on here.....................
Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #200
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Wash your mouth out, Shame on you...........spreading good economic news on here.....................

We have been getting very,very healthy orders from WA and QLD for the last 2 months.

We are an IT equipment supplier.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #201
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say is I am glad I ummed and ahhed and listened to my gut and not call my broker at 8.20 am because I would be spewing right now.

There is widespread doom mongering and panic selling of stocks going on in the world but when you look at the underlying financials of most companies in Australia, they are still sound and their value has not depreciated.

People need to stay positive and not buy into this doom and gloom peddling because that will achieve only one thing, a recession that was willed into existance.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #202
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
We have been getting very,very healthy orders from WA and QLD for the last 2 months.

We are an IT equipment supplier.
Yep, I just had my second biggest month in business after 17 years of self employment.....
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #203
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
There are some bears out there with balls the size of watermelons. Nice work lads (and gals).
Bulls not bears. There seemed to be a lot of people spruiking the "bear trap" stories last night... nothing would surprise me.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #204
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

An old family friend once told me, do the opposite to what the mainstream people do. If everybody is rushing out to buy realestate... then wait. If everybody is rushing to sell... then wait and don't sell.

Seems to ring true in this instance.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #205
kocho
The Futuriser

The $AUD was $1.08 as mentioned last week. Personally, for me, I'm happy it's down to $1.02

Here I am waiting for it to go down a bit more!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
Old 09-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #206
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
The $AUD was $1.08 as mentioned last week. Personally, for me, I'm happy it's down to $1.02

Here I am waiting for it to go down a bit more!
Me too. Mid to late 80¢ is a good figure for me.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #207
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Yep, I just had my second biggest month in business after 17 years of self employment.....
Congratulations....You've earned it....
Old 09-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #208
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I think those people proposing "the end" may be a little disappointed

As for the current market fluctuations, in my opinion, this is again irrational/emotional behaviour akin to (and making as much sense) as a dog chasing its own tail.

The facts are last week there were many blue chip companies with sound business plans, great profits, cashed up and paying good returns.

This week those same blue chip companies are available at better prices, good hunting!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #209
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
same=same
Beat me to it, that was my first thought on those two posts
Old 09-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #210
AMGC63
Banned

Well well well.. i got home tonight and low and behold the House was still there, power still working and dinner on the table.. i thought it was all supposed to dissapear today?

Ive had the busyiest 1/4 in 5 years and Booked solid till Xmas.. not everything is as bad as some here want it to be or want to paint it.
Closed Thread