Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #181
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Re: Panic Attacks

It's funny how it seems to be easier to tell strangers on a public forum but difficult to tell those that you surround yourself with everyday.

I have an appointment tomorrow at 1PM so hopefully from there, things will start to get better.
Old 20-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #182
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
this may be the wrong thread for this and I tried to edit my old post but it wouldn't let me.

Just a question, how did you all come to terms with your emotional issues? I have had anxiety and depression (at least I think so) since I was around 14 years old. I never wanted to get help because, well, I didn't want to admit that there was a problem. Throughout my school years, I was detatched from everything. Rarely participated in social events with the few friends that I had. Failed school because I had no motivation. Stopped playing Guitar for the same reason.

6 years on, after several people cutting me so deep it gets harder to recover everytime. I'm ready to admit that I have a problem and am going to seek help. How do you tell friends? Family? Did you find that they were supportive or shrugged you off as a weakling? Did it help with counselling or was medication enough on it's own.

I'm just sick and tired of feeling like I have to seperate myself from everyone for fear that they will not understand. Does anyone understand the personal struggles you face from within everyday?

Some days, it just gets too much. Just lose all composure. No matter if it's in a crowded room or the solitary of my bedroom. I feel so embarrassed because everyone stares and you have no explanation as to why you're losing it.

EDIT: Another question, Do you have to tell your workplace? Is it ideal to do so?

mate , just remember that no one is perfect , and everyone has an issue to deal with , when your young people seem to single themselves out , as people get older they realise that everyone has some sort of struggle , be it stress, financial , alcohol ,gambling, personal or whatever , these things touch every family and if not you than someone you know is going through something , so believe it or not , it's no big deal people finding out .
2ndly . you dont have to tell anyone at work . it isnt a crime to be going through turmoil . dont look at these things as permenant , look at them as a stage in life , that you will recover from , these things come and go , and touch everyone . its embarrassing but mostly to the person going through it , not other people who find out . however , its not really anyones business so no need to disclose to people at all .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #183
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Thanks, gtfpv.
People at work have been picking it up over the last couple weeks. I have only been here for a couple months so it's been relatively easy to act like nothing is wrong. But of course, you can't act all the time.
Old 20-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #184
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's funny how it seems to be easier to tell strangers on a public forum but difficult to tell those that you surround yourself with everyday.

I have an appointment tomorrow at 1PM so hopefully from there, things will start to get better.

mate things will start to get better. you've already recognise that you're not well and you're doing something about.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #185
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Had an appointment with my psychiatrist for a second time today, went really well. My derealization/depersonalization has all but disappeared, I'm starting CBT and going on another 50mg of Zoloft (100mg now).
Feel like I've got my life back now, it's great!
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #186
hulkfocus

Been thought the same situation i suffer for anxiety....didnt think anything of it seeing as i had felt that same way since i was 14 but last year went through a really bad time and the anxiety turned worse and turned into deppression and i hit rock bottom some days couldnt even leave the house. I'd go to work and get that stressed id just breakdown. Went to the doctor got put on medication and started counseling. 9 Months later got my anxiety under control on a smaller dosage of meds and took a demotion (pay cut sucked but worth it) and feel amazing.

Hardest part was talking about my problems but going to Headspace was the best thing i ever did.
hulkfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #187
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Well, had my appointment at the doctors the other day. I got a referral so I'm just waiting on a phone call from them to organise an appointment. Apparently this guy is really good. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Doctor reckons I have anxiety but didn't prescribe me with anything. I guess that's up to the psychologist? I don't know how this works. I don't really want to go on medication because I have heard they are really addictive. At the same time, I'm sick of feeling down all the time.

How easy is it to tlak to these people? Is the first meeting awkward? Does it get easier to talk to them over time?
Old 23-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #188
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
Mate don't know being off work or out of work is your cause. I have just been off for eight weeks , third redundancy in five years .
If you are out of work , get a second opinion on your resume before you present it. Try recruiters other than government allied ones . Apply ,apply apply .Think of people you were associated in your line of work and network them . Leverage off people on this forum.

On another tangent I know of a guy who's depression is linked to the climate. If it is cold ,he struggles . Medication seems to help.
Thanks mate, i'm off work with depression because of a break up with my ex, luckily i still have my job to go back to when i'm a bit better, my boss has been very good about it all
Old 23-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #189
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO the best remedies to reduce the effect of panic attacks is a mix of the following

- taking up exercise on a regular basis
- get together with family and friends for a few laughs
- positive thinking
- eat healthy
- avoid smoking and drink in moderation
- breathing exercises
- use your annual leave by always taking a holiday of a few weeks, rather than taking odd days off work here and there

After a few months of the above an improvement should be evident.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #190
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, had my appointment at the doctors the other day. I got a referral so I'm just waiting on a phone call from them to organise an appointment. Apparently this guy is really good. I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Doctor reckons I have anxiety but didn't prescribe me with anything. I guess that's up to the psychologist? I don't know how this works. I don't really want to go on medication because I have heard they are really addictive. At the same time, I'm sick of feeling down all the time.

How easy is it to tlak to these people? Is the first meeting awkward? Does it get easier to talk to them over time?

Yeah the psychologist might prescribe them. He/she will work out if you need medication. Don't be too concerned about taking them as the doctor will give ones that they feel are best for your situation. Just look at medication as helping gain control so then you can work on fixing or gaining control of you illness. But remember that exercise all other thing will help as well. They will help you take your life back from the illness.
I guess at first it can be a little difficult but as you feel more comfortable and relaxed and you get the trust with your doctor its not so hard
I hope this helps

hope
Old 23-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #191
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

The meds really aren't bad at all, they get a bad wrap because of the hell they put you through for the first 2-3 weeks.
I have a genetic disposition to anxiety and depression, there isn't one member in my immediate family who isn't affected by it in varying degrees. Unfortunately when you're dealing with genetics like this, medication is quite often your main crutch (I know it certainly to be the case with my two sisters who cannot function without it). They aren't the be-all end-all really, therapy in conjunction with medication is the best form of treatment.
I'm also finding the constant worrying about every little thing is slowly dissipating too, and I haven't really begun my CBT yet, I'm a believer in the meds.
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

Build Thread
Old 23-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #192
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

...These people know all the tricks to make you feel comfortable with them so even though it's intense you will survive brining it up with them & settle in gradually.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #193
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Well, took my first dose of 100mg Zoloft last night, begin the onslaught of start up symptoms again haha, fairly sleepless night last night, feel like I'm in a drug trip today at uni, but I'm also finding it strangely funny.

Build Thread
Old 30-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #194
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

That sounds better than the massive dose of depression that hit me last night, and the weird-can't think feeling in my head right now, and I am on medication.

Almost had to call beyond blue or something.

Got my daughter today as well.

I think it was getting my tax done, snd the associated money worries that did it.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #195
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I had my first appointment with the psychologist yesterday. Went well. Was good just to be able to talk to someone. An outside, unbiased opinion on what's going on inside. He reccommended medication and now I'm on fluoxetine. On my way to gaining control.
Old 30-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #196
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
I had my first appointment with the psychologist yesterday. Went well. Was good just to be able to talk to someone. An outside, unbiased opinion on what's going on inside. He reccommended medication and now I'm on fluoxetine. On my way to gaining control.
Good luck with the start-up on meds, it can be quite rough but stick with it.
I'd imagine prozac/fluoxetine has roughly the same side effects as other SSRIs. I tried taking my new dose last night just after dinner, I find I get less GI side effects. Did the doctor offer you any benzodiazepines like valium to help with the start-up anxiety?

Build Thread
Old 30-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #197
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

No I don't have anything else to take. Just the Fluoxetine. I have another meeting with the Psychologist in a little over a month to see how the medication is helping and to see how if I have improved at all. I honestly can't wait for the next appointment. I left his office feeling refreshed and relieved and to be honest, a little more upbeat for the rest of the day.
Old 30-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #198
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
No I don't have anything else to take. Just the Fluoxetine. I have another meeting with the Psychologist in a little over a month to see how the medication is helping and to see how if I have improved at all. I honestly can't wait for the next appointment. I left his office feeling refreshed and relieved and to be honest, a little more upbeat for the rest of the day.
Yeah I know the feeling, it helps having things explained to you when you can't make sense of anything.
If the anxiety gets too much to handle from the start up on the meds, go to the doctor and ask for a benzo before giving up, take it sparingly as they can be habit-forming though.

Build Thread
Old 31-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #199
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just stick with the medication don't give up on them. If you still don't feel right then go back to you doctor and tell them. I have changed a couple of times because they have stopped helping. Just remember that its about regaining control so you can work on beating the illness
Old 31-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #200
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Do they gradually stop working? Or do they just not work from the get go.
Old 31-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #201
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Also, how do meds react with alcohol? Do I need to be careful or stay away from drinking.
Old 31-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #202
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
IMO the best remedies to reduce the effect of panic attacks is a mix of the following

- taking up exercise on a regular basis
- get together with family and friends for a few laughs
- positive thinking
- eat healthy
- avoid smoking and drink in moderation
- breathing exercises
- use your annual leave by always taking a holiday of a few weeks, rather than taking odd days off work here and there

After a few months of the above an improvement should be evident.
Very good advice trying meditation helps as well once you can tottaly still your mind you have no problems
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #203
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

My best mate went through this in his mid 20s.

A married with a gorgeous wife and kids, good looking doing reasonably well guy who had panic attacks start out of nowhere.

I never forgot the first time I saw him, in the middle of us doing nothing in particular, curl up in a ball on the floor... I have never felt so completely and utterly hopeless in my life.

He got it under control after some therapy etc. and learned to control it drug free by knowing when it was coming and developing strategies to prevent it becoming a debiliating attack. He has gone on to achieve great things professionally at levels that he would have never thought he would have got to.

I guess is what I am saying is, it can happen to anyone, and there is light at the end of the tunnel... Seek some help, think positive, you will learn to get on top of it and fulfill your ambitions.
Old 31-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #204
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Be careful with alcohol and meds, they will make you feel terrible. I'm abstaining from drinking altogether, I've decided I'd rather live anxiety free than have a drink.

Build Thread
Old 31-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #205
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
Be careful with alcohol and meds, they will make you feel terrible. I'm abstaining from drinking altogether, I've decided I'd rather live anxiety free than have a drink.
I worked out my withdrawal symptoms from not drinking for 3 days actually help set me on the downward spiral the other night.

I do agree though, that if you can keep of alcohol-do so.
Old 31-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #206
Windsor220
Now Fordless

To overcome anxiety/panic attacks you have to find out exactly what it is that's making you anxious. I have suffered a few over the years then got it really bad at the start of this year where I was unable to go to work for a few weeks. After talking with a psych we worked out I was only having them when my body was in some form of trauma. For example overly drunk, getting a tattoo, neck sprain etc. Now I'm fine because I know what's going on and have ways of staying normal.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #207
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do they gradually stop working? Or do they just not work from the get go.

I found that they either aren't strong enough and you've hit the limit on how much they can give you or just stop working. you don't really realise they aren't working until something in your life happens
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #208
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Errgghh, the dosage increase is still giving me hell. Derealization and depersonalization is my main anxiety symptom, which sucks because it's probably the worst ones you can have, it feels like im living in a strange movie. I have noticed that it has improved slowly the last few days, but it's still going to be a while before it completely subsides I think.

Build Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #209
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
Errgghh, the dosage increase is still giving me hell. Derealization and depersonalization is my main anxiety symptom, which sucks because it's probably the worst ones you can have, it feels like im living in a strange movie. I have noticed that it has improved slowly the last few days, but it's still going to be a while before it completely subsides I think.
I call that spaced out. Hang in there.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #210
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Yeah thanks, I'm trying hard.
I need to lose some stresses in my life so I can sit back and learn how to better cope with them. My problem is I've been a life long worrier, I have some pretty distorted thinking some times, playing worst case scenarios out before doing anything, it's not a nice way to live. In many ways I'm glad this has all come to the surface, because it's an opportunity to improve my quality of life!

Build Thread