Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #151
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh thats what I was gonna say. Lawn edger, Spade and a trenching shovel.
Citris Acid is also used to prevent roots growing in a dripper system for your lawn and if its using bore water this will reduce the Iron scale build up.
Im scepticle of mixing fertilisers with retic lines tho as the application rate will not be uniform around the whole lawn. ie the nutrients rate would be higher at the first run of drippers compared to the highly diluted mix towards the end of the line.

duaned - nice lawn! what is it soft leaf buffallo?

tray_18, looks nice! the agarve's and mondo grass (?) with the green grass and the new mulch gives some awesome colour contrasts!

Im about to prepare my lawn for the big putt putt event i have, pics coming soon!

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #152
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Use a trencher provided you know where all your pipes and cables are.
thanks mate, yeah I only have the mains water going across the lawn but its much lower underground than 120mm so wont be a problem. Possibly even a 75mm trencher will do the job quick but it might rip the lawn up more than I need. I'd like to try and keep it tidy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Run a string line along the grass where you want the dripper hose to run. (I'd use netafin or similar) Then use a lawn edger and cut your lines through the grass. After that use a straight spade to ply the ground apart along the lines enough to drop the dripper lines in.
Cheers for that. Seems like a good way to go. The injection point sounds interesting so I'll look into that a bit more.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #153
prydey
Rob

another adelaide lawn, obvious by the brown tinge. actually it wasn't too bad but i mowed it nice and low. should green up again.

the mower is my latest toy. got it cheap off a morkmate. don't get all the half moon shapes in the lawn now.

i would post a pic of the front but the title says 'post a pic of your lawn' and it doesn't exactly qualify as lawn although it is green. it looked nice when we moved in 4 yrs ago but since the restrictions came in it just went downhill. it has pop ups all installed but they are illegal and neither i nor my wife have time to stand out there with the hose.

the biggest issue with the front as well is its sloped to the road so when i do water it just runs off. need an aerator(sp) or something i guess.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #154
Paxton
Cobblers!

I've taken FordOwner's advice about wetting agents, and applied the second lot on my Lawns this afternoon, mainly because in my neck of the woods, it's been drizzling for most of the day.

I've noticed that there has been no noticeable runoff down my driveway, and the lawn has been able to withstand the heat from Tuesday, which was Hot. I guess I'll find out how effective it really was come summer.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #155
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What wetting agents did you use Paxton?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #156
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
duaned - nice lawn! what is it soft leaf buffallo?

Thanks mate, When these properties were built (2007) we were told by the builder that kikuyu was laid in the division. But it seems it might be buffalo but whatever it is it is damn aggressive. I'm continuously removing it from between the retaining wall bricks, across paths and up my fence etc! I'm heading off to bunnings for some wetting agents shortly, do you recommend any brands?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #157
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok finally got a pic ogf mine..just sulphate the weeds and fertilised it a few weeks back...another 2 weeks and it will be thick and greener. Ignore the gardens..they are a work in progress.

Oh and my young fella wanted to help mow...lol...gotta start em young!

jaskel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #158
rosebush

After moving in to our new place the soil was more like sand and the grass was dead...But finally got it going nice and green with help from fertilizer....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden before n after.jpg (53.2 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by rosebush; 06-11-2009 at 11:30 PM.
rosebush is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #159
ubute
Back in Black

How do you guys keep summergrass and paspalum under control in a couch lawn? I've tried paspalum killer in the past but it knocks the couch around too, even spot spraying it. I'm resorting to pulling it out as much as I can but every 2nd day the lawn is full of little new growth again.

Other problem is the couch isn't really pushing out runners into bare patches where I dug out the weeds.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #160
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the front yard, you should see the back yard!
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #161
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Our lawn is starting to really come along. Relayed your advice xr6vct, and it seems to have worked. Still minor patching but all in all looks great. Will post pics soon
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post