Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #151
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I appreciate your right to have this opinion, RG. My point was that it is unfair to challenge everyone who posts pro LPG because you "don't like it" personally. I have been disappointed that everytime a member has posted a reasoned argument, that disagrees with your opinion, they have been criticised and as a result have left the thread.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #152
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTP
I appreciate your right to have this opinion, RG. My point was that it is unfair to challenge everyone who posts pro LPG because you "don't like it" personally. I have been disappointed that everytime a member has posted a reasoned argument, that disagrees with your opinion, they have been criticised and as a result have left the thread.

Gaela
I'm not criticising, it's a mere difference of opinion. You can't have a debate about something with only one side of an argument. I'm showing reasons as to why some don't want/like/use LPG and prefer petrol and I am showing my viewpoint on that. Couldn't the same be said to members who disagree with my standpoint?

Nothing more, nothing less.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 10-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #153
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Wow, it seems mods are normal people too.
Slinging matches, off topic....
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #154
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Wow, it seems mods are normal people too.
Slinging matches, off topic....
Not really off topic, it's healthy debate that directly relates to why some choose not to run LPG.

Bring on E85!!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #155
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Not really off topic, it's healthy debate that directly relates to why some choose not to run LPG.

Bring on E85!!!!

Is E85 going to be able to work if the demand increases?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #156
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Is E85 going to be able to work if the demand increases?
That's a very good question, I dare say it will if enough money is invested into it. The supply is keeping up with the current demand for E10 and there are E85 vehicles soon to be released so only time will tell. E85 can be a boon for performance car owners, CAT600 has shown that.

In a perfect world we would have the option of running advanced LPG set ups, petrol, & ethanol blends. Fortunately that day will come sooner or later and from there even more alternatives will be found and with the decreasing reliance on oil it may see oil reserves lasting longer than many thought possible.

Remember current oil forecasts are based on current consumption figures and most don't take in to account the amount of people opting for alternatives.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #157
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Petrol vs LPG, Ghia5L's perspective:

Driving my 4.0 to work & back on petrol will cost me $30 a week.
Driving my 4.0 to work & back on gas will cost me $11.25 a week.

From my previous residence those values were $120 & $45 a week respectively. From an economy perspective, the dollars speak for themselves.

Whilst I do not have personal experience in the performance field, I have seen oldschool LPG technology out-do petrol equivalents (turbo E-Series & X-Series in particular), and would be very interested in seeing injected LPG performance models available. Higher octane rating AND it is cheaper!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #158
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Remember current oil forecasts are based on current consumption figures and most don't take in to account the amount of people opting for alternatives.
You will also have to take into account the electric cars that will be coming on-line in the next 10-15 years.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #159
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

One things not lacking in this debate is passion.

This is simple choice, if you, or I like sitting at home in a gymp suit dripping hot wax on your nether regions its kind of up to the individual. This is the same kind of thing. People do what they want to do, as for why people dont like LPG, I dont know. Just because I dont understand their frame of reference doesnt make my position of theirs right or wrong.

Flappist, based on my reading of some of your posts, you are in a stage of your life where you have been productive, and now experience relative financial comfort. Thats great and I wish more people worked towards that rather than living for the moment. Petrol as a fuel for you is just fine, and its what you like.

Regarding your povo fuel comments, I can understand that. I am a tight *** through and through. I love to save a buck. I even buy toys on the basis that they will maintain/increase value (Bought a new rifle today - will post pics soon) . I earn good money, I have good assetts, I could drive a petrol car and still have the leisure activities in my life I currently have. I choose to drive an LPG car because it leaves an extra $2500 per annum in my disposable income.

I dont get why this has become heated or "catty". Safe to say that both petrol and LPG will become more expensive in time. People will choose what fuel they use based on personal choice and the information they have at hand.

Who knows, someone might develop totally new, out of scope technology that makes this debate redundant.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #160
kinksta
Luxojet

here here TURBOTAXI!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #161
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Bring on long term availablity of E85.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #162
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Why, instead of the coming Diesel Territory aren't we seeing a DLPG option? (I know the answer to that question so it's a rhetorical one at best).
You seem to be the small voice of sanity Russ. One thing I'd add is that if realistic (i.e. in huge, cheap supply) alternatives are going to reveal themselves within the next couple of decades, the first signs of them would be showing by now but they're not. Like you say, the fact is that gas is Australia's indigenous resource for independently-driven transport (i.e. other than trains and trams which can use electricity).

Back to the micro-topic, as a Territory owner I would actually like to know why there's not a DLPG option in the pipeline (I can guess at some reasons too but there's no substitute for the horse's mouth!). When the price of oil does take off again the Territory will be the first Ford car to have a chance of permanently biting the dust.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #163
z80
Banned

I did something interesting today while playing on the dyno.

I proved that a boosted engine that runs LPG and petrol actually produces more KW at the wheels when in LPG mode versus 98 RON.

It is a fact...it is 110 Octane, it is a superior fuel.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #164
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
It REALLY depends on gas quality. Some places only guarantee their LPG to be 98 octane minimum.

Regards,
Dave
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 PM   #165
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

Referring to the the original post about Aus public shunning LPG, and the poll.

I currently drive a BF XR6 highly modified for performance, with more mods to come, on 98RON PULP. My wife drives an unmodified BFII Fairmont Ghia also on 98RON PULP. I drive a turbodiesel V8 at work. My folks have a newspaper delivery business and run a fleet of Ford vehicles on dual fuel - most of which I have driven.

Now, given that the original post is about buying a new factory fitted LPG vehicle, if I ever had to replace my car for whatever reason, I currently would not be looking at replacing it with a new factory direct e-gas. It's a good system, but currently it just doesn't have the factor that I get out of my petrol powered car.

One of the Ford Magazines (Street Fords? PerFords?) did an article about the E-Gas XR6 and didn't rate it's performance. At all. For a magazine that borders on sycophantism re: Ford products, that is a poor endorsement.

I believe that future factory incarnations may be on par or even exceed petrol performance. If the aftermarket performance community also embrace and support LPG, and if there are more bowsers available at the local servos, I would upgrade in a flash.

The cost of fuel is not the main motorvating factor in my choice, nor what it smells like or how you put it in the car. Boot space is even only a minor factor for me, but in time even that may be solved.

If I only cared about economy, and didn't give a hoot about how my car drove, I could by a Camry and put it on gas like my Dad is always telling me to do, or just catch the bus or train. The truth is I like to drive my petrol car.

That is why I won't buy a new factory gas car. The missus just doesn't want gas "coz none of her friends drive gas and it's too hard to fuel up". And she needs her boot space. Education can help her with the one, but till the other is solved there will be no new E-Gas at my house.

Cheers

:

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #166
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
It REALLY depends on gas quality. Some places only guarantee their LPG to be 98 octane minimum.

Regards,
Dave

yes, agreed....but pressurized injected LPG actually increases....boost!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #167
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Propane has superior octane rating, but lesser 'energy' than petrol = more LPG to produce the same grunt. The butane drags the octane number down, but has greater energy hence the blend improves economy . Both have inferior 'energy' to petrol. So unless you have a guaranteed fill of propane every time rather than autogas blend you'd have a hard time screwing the most out of your 107-110 octane propane fill with your engined designed and tuned with greater compression etc....

Personally I like to stick to propane where available as at least I KNOW what I'm putting in rather than the variable autogas blends and just wear the inferior economy of the stuff.

Cant comment on it 'increasing boost'.

In relevance to this thread it'd be interesting if a manufacturer produced a dedicated LPG engine taking advantage of the fuels attributes. It may or may not surprise a few people. But in true manufacturer form they'd have to take the worst case of everything to protect the engine so it'd likely be so compromised as to be a waste of time anyway. And without widespread availability of straight propane little point.

But it'd have the factor that says heres a car you can drive out of the showroom with full warranty that goes harder than the petrol equivalent and costs a fraction of the petrol car to run. Would the Aussie public buy that?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #168
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Maybe have a look into how much oil is left, a little research and then come back here. I'm quite sure you will find that there is a bit more oil than you think.
Ah. Someone else who remembers the first Gulf War. When we were told by George Dubbya's Dad, and other 'Experts', that we would run out of oil in 10 years...ie :the year 2000.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #169
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I did something interesting today while playing on the dyno.

I proved that a boosted engine that runs LPG and petrol actually produces more KW at the wheels when in LPG mode versus 98 RON.

Methanol has a RON of 113
Toluene (paint thinner) has a RON of 114
Ethanol has a RON of 116
Hydrogen is up around 140

Methylated Spirits (ethanol and methanol mix) has a RON of about 115.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #170
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Methanol has a RON of 113
Toluene (paint thinner) has a RON of 114
Ethanol has a RON of 116
Hydrogen is up around 140

Methylated Spirits (ethanol and methanol mix) has a RON of about 115.

Which coloured pump at Safeway for the Hydrogen mate?
Do I still get 4 cents a litre off with my coupon?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #171
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

http://www.boc-gases.com/how_to_buy/index.asp
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #172
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80

The one next to the 110ron LPG pump at Safeway.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #173
torbirdie

Im sure that most people still dont buy them because of the perceived safety and performance problems.

The fuel supply issue is real though and hence why the car makers arent going to give us a car that runs lpg only and a high compression ratio engine.

I drive lpg cars but Id be hesitant to recommend them to people if they want fuss free motoring.

People buy new modern cars because they are reliable and designed to be that way. Fit an lpg system and suddenly you have got a whole lot more to go wrong.

People who are not into cars dont need to to go and visit lpg "specialists" to sort out niggly problems and be fed bs or need to take it somewhere else to be serviced etc.
Perfect installs that never need attention, are not the norm
Old 11-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #174
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Amen brother
No not Amen what so ever, Diesel is by far one of the better technologies For larger vehicles including large family sedans, wagons and SUV's because of their buck loads of torque, and fantastic economy. You might attempt to come back with LPG may use more fuel but its better value, but you don't just buy diesels for running costs, you buy it for is amazing drivability.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #175
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Stoney, i have an 08 Triton TuboDiseasel work truck. That ain't amazing driveability. And 12L/100klms mixed driving! With no load! What a joke!
If diseasels were fantastically economical you'd see the worlds biggest tightarses using them, ie taxi operators. That just doesn't happen, because it's not true. LPG is king and always will be king for people who want the lowest TCO.

And diseasels would do a lot better if they didn't sound like they had a timing chain rattle, rooted bearings and several knocks all at once. In short, diseasels sound shitty, have no go unless you've got a snail strapped to it and still chew through enough fuel to make you cry at the pump.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #176
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if thats the case why do Mercedes,Audi and Peugot have them and I'm working off memory here but wasn't one of the fastest and reliable cars at Le Mans a diesel.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 11-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #177
Mr Hardware

Wait on, if what is the case?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #178
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wait on, if what is the case?
In particular the second paragraph of your last post.
"snail strapped on...noisey,shitty etc.."

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #179
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just did a quick google Audi diesels won Le Mans five years in a row this year Peugot won with a diesel.
So if diesels are so bad and lpg is so good how come there are no lpg powered Le Mans race cars.
The makers of Mercedes,Audi and Peugot would not race them or put them in the production street cars if they weren't any good and didn't sell.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 11-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #180
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Probably because the Europeans all have a massive boner for Diesel cars because of its lower pump price over there (no excise/road tax IIRC) and more widespread fitment to shitty ding/kraut/frog econoboxes

Also LPG over there is promotes heavily as a fleet/transport industry fuel - not sure of its availability for private vehicle use like it is here.
Closed Thread