Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #121
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Are you a VW salesman or something?

Don't understand why you come on a Ford forum and talk about VW's in every thread.
Cause I can, and because the Australian motoring industry is an interest of mine, otherwise I wouldn't be a member here. I was simply giving information to someones observation dude, get over it.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #122
Rapid_Attack
Meh.

I have a Jetta, it costs me 80 pounds of flesh everytime I have it serviced.

Judging by how expensive the parts and labour are, I think they charge me in Euro!

Good little diesel though, wish the Falcon had a 2.7 tree puller in it!
Rapid_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #123
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
According to the latest Wheels magazine edition (which I don't have with me here so the numbers are from what I remember reading) ,

In 1995 there were 20000 Falcon wagons sold,
now there are only about 4000.

I don't think Marin had to downplay it very much.

I wanted to clarify what I said in this post now that I have my Wheels copy with me.

On page 28 Wheels say "Of 31000 Falcons sold last year, only 2500 were wagons."

Then on page 32 they say "Ford Oz built 20784 wagons in 1995, production halved to 11005 by 2005 and trickled to 4630 last year."
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #124
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Maybe VW are pushing their cars to try sell them this down the track?

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0421-sse8.html

Quote:
Cab that charges itself
MATT CAMPBELL
April 21, 2010

VW’s Milano Taxi is the first step towards a multi-model electric vehicle range to be on sale in 2013.

Volkswagen has unveiled a plug-in electric taxi that gives new meaning to the word Cabcharge.

The plug-in electric Milano Taxi concept is set to change the way people think about taxis. It's powered by an 85kW electric motor, which is linked to bank of lithium-ion batteries integrated into the car's underbody.

It has a handy range of up to 300 kilometres on a charge, which makes the Milano Taxi more viable as a transport solution than some current EV's (like Mitsubishi's i-MiEV) which currently offer only about half that range.

The German automaker's electric vehicle strategy is set to see them release their so-called "E-mobility" range of electric cars in 2013, which could include the likes of an electric Golf, Jetta, and the E-Up small car.

Volkswagen says the Milano Taxi concept gives us a glimpse into the future of Volkswagen cars, and that the genes of future VW's are already recognisable in the Milano Taxi, such as the new "face" of the car which lacks a radiator grille (as there is no radiator needed for an electric car).

The body of the left-hand-drive Milano Taxi is designed primarily for rearward entry by passengers, and there's an ingenious rear swivel-sliding seat on the right-hand side of the vehicle to make it easier for customers to jump in.

Notably, there's no front passenger seat - instead, Volkswagen has left this space for cargo, as the short body of the Milano Taxi leaves little space behind the rear seats. But if the boot is required, it can be accessed by a pair of laterally swinging 60/40 rear doors.

When there are passengers in the taxi, they can use the 8-inch touch-screen in the rear of the car to check and/or pay their fare, find out information about interesting sights along their route (available in various languages), and even check the weather forecast.

Passengers can also take control of their climate thanks to the touch-screen's integrated air-conditioning/heating management system.

The driver also gets a multi-function touch-screen which controls virtually all driving aspects of the car apart from acceleration, braking and steering.

Like the Volkswagen Samba Bus of the 1950s, there's a lot of glass in the roof panels of the car, including above the tops of the doors and the taxi's panoramic sunroof.

Volkswagen's range of electric vehicles will also be joined by several hybrid models, including variants of the Touareg, Jetta, Passat, and the manufacturer's volume-selling Golf.
Old 21-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #125
Bobman
Regulator

Considering the high price of LPG at the moment, if a vehicle as above were to be trialled as a cab here it would probably be favourable for owners and depots.

The sooner the dependence for oil stops, the better off we will be IMHO.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #126
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Why??

You would need 2 of them to do a days work?
One on day shift, one for night shift while the other recharges
This means 2 lots of registration, 2 lots of insurance, twice ALL the costs
Not cost effective, therefore the pencil pushers will probably make it law next year...

And dont even start on the pollution from the coal fired power stations we use here to power these "planet saving" electric go karts.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #127
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
Why??

You would need 2 of them to do a days work?
One on day shift, one for night shift while the other recharges
Quick change battery centers, you don't own the battery packs and
they get swapped out more quickly than getting a full tank of ULP.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #128
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Wow..what a thread..and no one mentioned how adelaide cabs are mostly Dunnydores, Cairns and darwin both moving to Camrys (petrol) and Prius (In darwin a few weeks back..prius cab falling to bits...*** out of seats), fewer lpg up north for sure.

I remeber when i lived in lismore back in 1994/5, there was a diesel peugeot getting round.

Things change..I didnt buy a Falcon cause there were stacks of cabs around that are 'Coons....

Ive been in many, many cabs, Coons, Duunydoores, Magnas, 380s, Camrys, Avalons, Aurions and Prius - some good, some great, a heap awful..but their cabs...such us life
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #129
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Quick change battery centers, you don't own the battery packs and
they get swapped out more quickly than getting a full tank of ULP.

Wont be holding my breath waiting for these battery stations every 10km

Also taxis have lots of extra battery load for radios, computer, lights etc, so thats gotta decrease the range, not to mention that drivers want the air-con on 24/7, a Prius uses (lots of) petrol to recharge the battery drained by air con, on this sort of car I predict a range of about half what they say in the real world.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #130
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Also taxis have lots of extra battery load for radios, computer, lights etc, so thats gotta decrease the range, not to mention that drivers want the air-con on 24/7, a Prius uses (lots of) petrol to recharge the battery drained by air con, on this sort of car I predict a range of about half what they say in the real world.
The funny thing is that Prius taxi owners are reporting big gains over their
previous LPG Falcons but I'm not a big fan of the rush to plug in hybrids,
until battery technology and extreme fuel prices force the change, we're
better off staying with ultra efficient petrol or diesel vehicles with "conventional" hybrid.

Electric cars will probably arrive in specific areas first like inner city Taxi
fleets that can use electric vehicles and have access to recharging stations
I agree the infrastructure is not there yet.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #131
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The funny thing is that Prius taxi owners are reporting big gains over their
previous LPG Falcons .
they may be cheaper to run, but they have a fair difference in purchase price so it will take a while before it is actually in front financially.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #132
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW's are just overpriced Toyota's......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #133
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
VW's are just overpriced Toyota's......
☺☺☺☺☺
Old 22-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #134
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well I can understand your dislike of batteries after all they have two terminals not just one totally negative one.

Do you remember when hand held mobile phones had only 20min talk time or 4hrs stand by?
Obviously mobile phone will never be popular....

Do you remember when laptops weighed 5kg and were 240v only then someone bought out a battery one that lasted 30 min?
Obviously laptops will never be popular....

Neither those phones nor the laptops had colour screens, wi-fi, graphical capability or any of the other features taken for granted today.

But don't worry, the phrase "Bah Humbug" is still available for your personal use at any time.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #135
Bobman
Regulator

Nice post, flappist.

Having seen many documentaries about Cars of the future and researching alternative methods of powering vehicles, I believe that technology will be double of that tomorrow than what it is today and who knows what new fuel they will come up with. Just look at the advancement of technology in the past 50 years to what we take for granted today.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #136
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

remember when they said we'd have flying cars and we've still got petrol guzzling 4-litres?
sometimes commenting about here and now is a bit more realistic about what might be.
Old 22-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #137
Chopped
as in chopped

Combustion engines will be missed for their sound (although electronics will make up for this).

Do we even need cars ?

Star Trek Teleporter anyone !
Old 22-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #138
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
remember when they said we'd have flying cars and we've still got petrol guzzling 4-litres?
sometimes commenting about here and now is a bit more realistic about what might be.
Plenty of "flying cars" around, Cessna, Piper & Raytheon make lots of them.

Unfortunately the average person does not have the natural ability to operate in three dimensions and it is impossible to "dumb down" the license skill requirements as has happened with two dimensional transport.

Electic vehicles WILL replace the majority of urban transport particularly in the major cities relegating LPG to the same fate as Power Kerosene and Coal (both of which were very common not that long ago).
Old 22-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #139
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Research is showing the modern turbo diesel in cars are experiencing failure rates 2.5times the average of all engines, and are nearly 50% more expensive to fix than the overall average, so not to sure where the savings come in given the implied wear and tear that the research suggests. Link

There is a slight difference in tune between a VW/BMW etc Turbo D and a Diesel found in a old Patrol (or Falcon 6). I am probably wrong.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #140
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have always been curious about how modern diesels would hold up with taxi duties.

Back in 2006 I visited the Volvo factory in Sweden, and they have an area which fully outfits taxis - In the factory! lights, wiring, everything, upgraded suspension. The guy there was saying that Scandanavian taxis can do up to 200,000 km a year and that diesel is preferred due to cost. Nothing was mentioned about reliability. But I assume they have to be pretty good. In my time there I never got to to travel in a Volvo one, only a couple of Saabs, an Mercs, and Skodas.

Oh, and he said they would do taxi packs for Australia on request, I laughed back then thinking how unlikely would we have euro diesels as taxis here, how times change. The day I was there they were building a couple for Africa. They only build around 1900 taxi packs a year. Similar situation to here where many taxis are bought ex-fleet or auction.

Even the huge Mercedes factory in Sindelfingen has a section which makes E-Class taxis, extended wheelbase ambulances (these ambulances look fantastic, they have the patient sections made by outside companies) Really interesting to see how the Euro makers try to grab every domestic sale they can get. Here you cant even get a eGAS falcon with a LSD haha.

Last edited by Brazen; 22-04-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #141
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
they may be cheaper to run, but they have a fair difference in purchase price so it will take a while before it is actually in front financially.
The Prius taxi owners are pretty happy, The savings are can be up to $11,000 per year...

So it looks like most of the extra cost is recouped in the first 12-18 months,
then it cream all the way to the bank. Since some of the taxi fleets are
restricted to six years, battery life probably won't be an issue either.

All it means is that Ford should be talking to fleets about Diesel Mondeo and
possibly the hybrid version on the next Fusion/Mondeo platform due out in 2012.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #142
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

Really interesting to see how the Euro makers try to grab every domestic sale they can get. Here you cant even get a eGAS falcon with a LSD haha.
Europe is a bigger sand pit so you can fit more toys.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #143
burnz
VFII SS UTE

we work an eight day, so plug your car in at work.
no need to use your own power.lol
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #144
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
we work an eight day, so plug your car in at work.
no need to use your own power.lol
Plug in electrics wont be from the wall. The government will need to meter it to put their excise on it.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #145
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I am not against electric cars totally.
One day they will be all you can get.
That day is not here yet.
I dont want to buy an electric car for the same reason I didn't buy the first mobile "brick", or the first room size computer.
It was still a free country last time I checked.

I am against the Goverment telling me I must buy an X just because some eco hippy in a big city ivory tower with no real world taxi owning experience thinks it will save the planet.

It is MY MONEY that buys the taxi and if I can buy a second hand Falcon for about $15000 at auction compared to a $45000 Prius I should be allowed to.
It is my business and my right to buy what I want. (within the rules)

If you dont want to ride in it, you dont have to. Wait for a Prius or whatever else you want, that is your right. I have had people do this.

You can spend YOUR money on a Prius if you wish.

There is a reason the majority of taxis Australia wide are Falcons, they are the most economical (not most fuel effecient) dollars wise car for the job.

Or are the majority of taxi owners wrong and you guys are right?

The diesel thing works well in Europe because diesel is 10-20c a litre cheaper than petrol, much like the LPG thing here.

Bah humbug!!!
Old 22-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #146
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Plenty of "flying cars" around, Cessna, Piper & Raytheon make lots of them.

Unfortunately the average person does not have the natural ability to operate in three dimensions and it is impossible to "dumb down" the license skill requirements as has happened with two dimensional transport.

Electic vehicles WILL replace the majority of urban transport particularly in the major cities relegating LPG to the same fate as Power Kerosene and Coal (both of which were very common not that long ago).
How much do those planes cost though? One of the guys at my work has a pilots license and he said it cost him $15,000 here in Victoria.

I'd imagine if the license cost so much, the plane would be worth much more, $100,000 for a used one?

Also, where do you keep one? Where can you legally land it?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #147
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Passat wagons look pretty good.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/64843/vo...iew-road-test/

Wagon
7 speed DSG auto
Parking sensors front and rear
Turbo petrol
dual zone climate
8 Airbags
German built

And all for the price of a Falcon XT sedan.... It will be funny to see these VWs as cabs.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #148
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How much do those planes cost though? One of the guys at my work has a pilots license and he said it cost him $15,000 here in Victoria.

I'd imagine if the license cost so much, the plane would be worth much more, $100,000 for a used one?

Also, where do you keep one? Where can you legally land it?
How much does it cost to get 100 hours for your P plate if you have to rent a car and have a licensed driving instructor do all the training?
Imagine if you had to ACTUALLY understand how you car worked including the engine, suspension, transmission etc. How many would fail?

Imagine if you had to be able to work out how much fuel was in the car based on the last time you filled it up then 2 partial fuelings calculating distance travelled and time taken and then how far you could go carrying 4 people and 250kgs of rocks while ensuring you have 45 minutes reserve and if in fact the can was not overloaded.

Imagine if during your driving test your hand brake was pulled on while you were not looking, you engine was turned off failing your power steering and power brakes, you brakes were failed and your speedo covered and you had to drive past 5 speed cameras at within 10km/h but not over the speed limit?

In all these situations you have to react correctly and safely to avoid an accident.

Pilot training is MUCH more thorough than driver training.

How much is a second hand 1970 GTHO? You can get a second hand microlite for $5-10k.

You can legally land them anywhere it is safe including roads, beaches, paddocks etc.
Old 22-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #149
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The Passat wagons look pretty good.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/64843/vo...iew-road-test/

Wagon
7 speed DSG auto
Parking sensors front and rear
Turbo petrol
dual zone climate
8 Airbags
German built

And all for the price of a Falcon XT sedan.... It will be funny to see these VWs as cabs.
I would imagine if buying new a fleet discount for a Falcon would be far greater then fleet discounting on a VW. Does a tdi Passat cost the same as petrol?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post