Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #121
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: FG2 FPV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
I think you'll find FPV agree with you, im told the engine wont receive anymore power upgrades for the life of FG2.

If they spend their limited budget on other areas of the car I will applaud them. HSV have nothing in terms of engine power till 2013 so not like FPV will fall behind.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #122
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
If they spend their limited budget on other areas of the car I will applaud them. HSV have nothing in terms of engine power till 2013 so not like FPV will fall behind.
Exactly. They have HSV beat comprehensively in the power stakes so why give away upgrades for no reason? HSV cant do anything for 2 years, FPV IMO will now focus on chassis dynamics buy i think that will happen progressively after this upgrade which will land late next year.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #123
theboxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_XR603
Ok the F6 may not be a Coupe - bad joke- but I know a guy who works for Ford Engineering and all he said was " youll be surprised ...." (about the next F6 coming soon
This better not be a lie...
theboxmike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #124
cartaa100
FG POWER

if the 2013 FH will be the last ever aussie made falcon, i hope they spend every dollar they have and make it go out with a bang, i know it probably wont happen but id love a tuned from factory gt-ho 415kw (bmw m5 territory) wide wheels and an advanced traction system that puts the power down.

or maybe even a v8 coupe like the green gs coupe in one of the threads here, i know it wont happen but i just hope it goes out with a bang!

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #125
spvd02

Twin-turbo to further distinguish the F6 from the XR6T. That'd be a pretty good reason to step up to the F6!
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #126
AMGC63
Banned

A glimpse of the future; XR6SC and maybe a F6SC powered by a 3.5l Supercharged V6.....
Old 04-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #127
IDT
Marko

Quote:
I don't see why the GT/P/E need more power. Its got tons of it now and the computer is limiting the power down low. Getting the power to the ground better will yield more. The drive line is done, now work on the rest of the vehicle.
The thing that bothers me is how easy it would be to lose a lot of weight. End cost aside I look inside and see the same interior in all fords. Two quick weight reductions that would allow the interior to also be more technologically advanced:
Replace the stereo with a radio and Ipod docking station/blue tooth setup. The entire thing could be the size of an i phone.
Replace the seats with F/glass or carbon wrapped seats (something like recaro seats for fatty's like me )
And my pet hate, though many here will disagree, and I don't care what wheels magazine says. My car does not require a TV sized touch screen plasma "information station" on the bloody dash. I want to know the time, the channel on the radio and thats IT!
There is at least 50kg gone already
Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #128
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A glimpse of the future; XR6SC and maybe a F6SC powered by a 3.5l Supercharged V6.....
Sounds good. Would keep the low down torque aspect intact. Is this under consideration by management?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #129
BHDOGS
Banned

I agree with polyal im in my mid 20s and the name gt means absolutly nothing to me so when im 50 well it wont matter we will have fwd electric cars DAMMMM ITTT.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #130
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I agree with polyal im in my mid 20s and the name gt means absolutly nothing to me so when im 50 well it wont matter we will have fwd electric cars DAMMMM ITTT.
That being the case i guess you'd be unswayed by a name on a badge and just buy the model that had the best performance and made the most power i guess?

Oh wait.. that's the GT..
Old 04-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #131
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't see why the GT/P/E need more power. Its got tons of it now and the computer is limiting the power down low. Getting the power to the ground better will yield more. The drive line is done, now work on the rest of the vehicle.
Exactly, 335kw is more than enough, now focus on making it drive better.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #132
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The real black edition is surely a pointer of what fpv will have for FG2. Now to the topic, release, its been mentioned the production series GTs wont race until 2012, so thats an easy clue depending on their regulations and timing with upgrades.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #133
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Why would they develop a SC V6 when they have the Ecoboost V6, which could slot in with no extra engine development required bar making it fit and emissions compliant.

If the rest of the Falcon range goes V6 of course.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #134
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
The real black edition is surely a pointer of what fpv will have for FG2. Now to the topic, release, its been mentioned the production series GTs wont race until 2012, so thats an easy clue depending on their regulations and timing with upgrades.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/real

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/concept
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #135
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why cant FPV attract younger buyers to the GT range? The Miami engine is much newer technology and far more "high tech" than the F6 engine....

As you point out it makes sense to market the "newest tech" to attract the "younger crowd" too...
Well I would think the main issue with young folk buying an FPV (or a HSV) for that matter is the $60K to $90K price tags. I know there are some, than can but the average buyer is 40+ small business owner. If 20 somethings are buying FPV's in the main it's 2nd hand.

edit: PS - I'm 40+ and fully intend to be driving a new FG2 FPV.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #136
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Now to the topic, release, its been mentioned the production series GTs wont race until 2012, so thats an easy clue depending on their regulations and timing with upgrades.
This is what has got me thinking. No power upgrades but a stronger rear end with 265 rear tyres. Just doing this is gonna get better performance form the GT.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #137
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Modified Taurus SHO's seem to be coping just fine
Its not strong enough to get the F150's torque from the factory though. I think we'll see Ecoboost Falcon launch with the highest torque figures yet from the 2L as well courtesy of a longitudinal transmission.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #138
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
I agree but it was the F6 310 which is what most of us were talking about in terms of needing / not needing a power upgrade. That's the one that will have had the same 310 output for four years by the time FG2 comes around.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #139
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
I agree but it was the F6 310 which is what most of us were talking about in terms of needing / not needing a power upgrade. That's the one that will have had the same 310 output for four years by the time FG2 comes around.
You mean the one that is quicker than everything the opposition sells?

Simple question, if the FG2 F6 had a 345kw badge would you sell your car and buy one?

The only effect a 310 badge will have is to devalue the 310s currently owned.

Or should the BF2 GT have a 351kw badge as well?

Rule #3: If it ain't broke don't fix it........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #140
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You mean the one that is quicker than everything the opposition sells?

Simple question, if the FG2 F6 had a 345kw badge would you sell your car and buy one?

The only effect a 345 badge will have is to devalue the 310s currently owned.

Or should the FG2 GT have a 351kw badge as well?

Rule #3: If it ain't broke don't fix it........
Exactly right.. There is no logical reason to change anything about the F6's (Or GT's) power output. The F6 is already faster than the HSV's and sitting nicely just below the GT range. Perfect product placement for FPV.

You'd be mad to change anything when you don't need to, in-fact changing things like badge numbers now might actually backfire on FPV and just force HSV to do something they have no current plans on doing..

Last edited by AMGC63; 05-10-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #141
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Normally the F6 is priced halfway between the GS and the GT (excluding run out deals) and hence it would be logical for it to have a 325 badge assuming the V8 badges will not change.

Irrespective of the yes/no to extra power, all FPV models need proper rear wheels/tyres combo badly as all suffer from a significant lack of grip … even the cops prefer running XR6Ts due to complaints that the F6 is too hard to control due to too much power for the rear tyres to handle in real driving scenarios … springs/shocks/sway bars need to be looked at as well, there is way too much body roll there for a “performance” car.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #142
Rodge
Banned

Marketing 101 - Make the customer think they're getting something fresh and new.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #143
HSE2

FPV are reacting to FG2. They have to. Some people are talking about two separate events.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #144
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Sydney motor show is almost here … if FPV do not have any FG2 products on display then what are they gonna show??? The Fake Black Edition? The run out deals? Sounds like they need something fresh …
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #145
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The real GT Black is a concept to show what PPP can do to your 'stock' FPV. FPV FG2's will just get (some) Falcon FG2 upgrades and maybe they'll have a play with what's standard and what's options. They don't need anymore power, there comes a point where more power without doing anything else is pointless, 500 KWs is useless if the thing is undriveable.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #146
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Time for me to ramble a bit.

I would have thought that perception plays a very big part in sales of FPV/HSV. So why wouldn't a power change (even if it's only to reflect the real number) not help sales continue to roll along.
Wouldn't dropping the two different spec ZF gearbox's, to the single GT ZF box reduce costs overall?
Before the FG F6 came out, there were a number of relatively solid rumors going around of FPV testing F6's with higher power than they were eventually released with, to allow power/torque, etc updates in the future. This in a very similar "rumoured" way to the S/C GT having been tested with differing configs, also for future updates.
Regarding devaluing the FG F6, dropping $10k of the RRP has done that already. Personally I wish they would drop the power badge off the car and leave the power rating for the spec sheets.

Anyway it's all just peoples opinions and speculation with a touch of truths.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #147
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Time for me to ramble a bit.

I would have thought that perception plays a very big part in sales of FPV/HSV. So why wouldn't a power change (even if it's only to reflect the real number) not help sales continue to roll along.
Wouldn't dropping the two different spec ZF gearbox's, to the single GT ZF box reduce costs overall?Before the FG F6 came out, there were a number of relatively solid rumors going around of FPV testing F6's with higher power than they were eventually released with, to allow power/torque, etc updates in the future. This in a very similar "rumoured" way to the S/C GT having been tested with differing configs, also for future updates.
Regarding devaluing the FG F6, dropping $10k of the RRP has done that already. Personally I wish they would drop the power badge off the car and leave the power rating for the spec sheets.

Anyway it's all just peoples opinions and speculation with a touch of truths.
I'm with you and have been thinking the same thing, besides the strengthened gearbox would be more durable and handle the power / torque tweaks. Everyone knows the torque in the F6 has been heavily PCM managed to come within the limits of the current ZF box fitted.

Fit the new box and loosen the tight PCM controls a bit, & BINGO, something fresh for the market.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #148
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mabye they should make the f6 and gt look different from each other cause at the moment you debadge and take the strips off the gt and the only noticable difference is the bonnet buldge and spoiler. and with regards to a s/c v6 well look at the failure that the s/c v6 holden was highly doubt this would work well for a falcon.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #149
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it really would not be hard to upgrade springs, shocks and swaybars. If it cost me just shy of $2,500 for top of the line eibach's, adjustable konis and whiteline adjustable F & R, given FPV's buying power and they are part owned by Prodrive you woudl think they could get those components for a cost of $1,000, less a rebate from Ford for not using Ford supplied items (if that is what happens at the moment) or less what FPV are currently spending on springs and shocks - increase the price of the car by $1500 (now you have a 50% margin on top of your cost) and you fix the problem of handling. 275's fit on a 9.5 rear rim without any modification and fix the traction problem (to an extent).

I actually cannot understand the reason for this not happening either across the board or as a handling option - would the general public pay say another $2.5k on top of current prices to get better suspension/bigger rear wheels - without blinking I would have thought
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #150
Rodge
Banned

^^ Most people are happy with the current suspension tune. FPV reps told me they deliberatly didn't upgrade the tyre size because they would prefer traction broke than anything else in the driveline.

I for one would rather have "real" premium stereo sound which could be done for a fraction of the price you're talking about.