Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Manual or automatic?
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with manual gearboxes 435 68.08%
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with automatic transmissions 204 31.92%
Voters: 639. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #121
formerly
loving the Xr8

Learnt to drive on an auto. First drive of a manual was when i drove my old XF off the lot at the dealer, dad test drove it for me cause i'd never driven manual! Now would never contemplate buying an auto, manual all the way for me!
Old 02-11-2005, 12:17 AM   #122
Punnisher_42

love manuals out here where im away from gridlock traffic, and it's just so much fun driving a manual. Absolutely can't stand manuals in the city riding the clutch and so forth. lucky i only go to the city once a year or so.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #123
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I own an auto and thus voted appropriately. If i wad a magic wand, i'd turn the EF into a manual in an instant. Having said this tho, the auto is strong and can take everything i throw at it. One thing that peeves me is the feeling of superiority a lot of my mates get (and a lot of people in general) about driving a manual.

"Oh man, i dunno how you can drive an auto... i just couldnt do it..."

Lol, all good humour i'm sure. But yeah - if i had a small car or a sports car etc, auto would be inexcusable. Blown V8s are fairly well suited to an auto trans IMO.
I was under the impression that the EF was renound for being rather weak. I replaced my box once and was getting close to replacing it again when I sold mine. Slipped when cold and one day lost 1st, 2nd and reverse so was driving around all day in 3rd gear. Wasn't fun I can tell you, and $2000 for a reco fitted.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:38 PM   #124
gozza

yeah i hate peeps who think you mustn't be able to drive a manual because your driving an auto....
Old 02-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #125
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

PS - Two of those supercars use traditional conventional automatics, yet they're some of the fastest road cars ever produced. Gee, looks like Mercedes/McLaren didn't know they chose the wrong trans when they made the SLR, and AMG had no idea when they made the CLK-DTM (a car built to handle) :
Thats because Mercedes can't build decent manual gearboxes, but what do you think would be more satisfiying to drive, an SMG BMW M3 or the original E30 M3? Ferrari Enzo or F40? etc.
My auto 5.5 V8 Mercedes locks the rear wheels if i try to shift manually when driving in a spirited manner, which pretty much shows that autos are useless for track days or hilly roads, and DSG or SMG is the ultimate poser material,
but at least there is refuge for people who can't launch or drive a manual properly.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:48 PM   #126
Steve D
Irregular Member

Which do I prefer? It depends. For small cars, definitely a manual. No problems, even in traffic, even if the synchro is weak and I need to replace the clutch cable now and then (guess which car that could be!).

Once in a larger vehicle, then I'm happy for it to be an auto. When SWMBO got the Magna (as a Company car) we could have had a manual Sports model, but it just didn't appeal.

A little driving in a manual V8 Falcon (EB era) was enough to make me decide a decent auto is the go for larger vehicles. Seemed a bit clumsy, but that could have just been a lack of practise.
*** Wheels magazine COTY 1996 ***
Old 03-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #127
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

I drive auto but prefer manual.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
Old 03-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #128
argonEL
Cruisin' When-ever I Can!

I love my "slushbox" and would definately go for a 6 speed auto if given the chance...

Manuals in suburban/city cars are not needed and autos make driving in crappy congested city traffic more bareable.

Save the manual for the track.

and to quote crannersEL:
"why get up and change the channel when you got a remote control".

More mods to come!

Ex 97 EL Futura, 04 XR6 and 07 XR8 Owner.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #129
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

Currently own 2 maunal vehicles.

The AUII XR8 Ute (mine) and a Daewoo Lanos (misses)

Just love the feel of them over an auto....
Old 04-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #130
Fairmont I6
sideways

the auto in my ED was quiet, smooth and nice to drive. However once the T5 went in the car came alive, more power more control and more fun. if i was buying a new car i would only buy one that i could get in manual.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 AM   #131
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Manual for me. There's very little in this world that feels better than executing a perfect heal/toe downshift in a car with a fantastic engine note. Love driving my manual AU XR8; for the sound AND the complete involvement. I'll only ever have conventional manual performance cars, and BTW, my everyday car is a manual also. Lots of stop-start traffic driving; doesn't bother me one bit, it actually keeps me awake and focussed on driving. Autos bore me. It's a shame our XR6HP is an auto, if it were a manual, it would be a lot more fun.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
1999 AU I Falcon XR8 (sold)
2007 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2009 Lotus Elise S
Old 04-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #132
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Sprint is a manual (a pig to drive,3rd gear to do 60kph) so i do prefer an auto any day.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #133
Scruba
15+ Years!

I love to drive a manual but after driving a GT-P and realising the pedals are so close (i kept getting my shoe caught under the brake pedal when releasing the go pedal) I'm going to upgrade to the 6 speed auto.

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Old 06-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #134
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I own an auto but prefer manual. My next car will be manual!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #135
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I vote auto for work, manual for play.

Reminds me of the Alfa GTV6 I drove for 12 years. Manual (of course), and the indicator stalk was on the left hand side of the wheel. Downshifting whilst turning on the indicator and talking on the mobile phone at the same time was always a bit hairy.

Last edited by Abacus; 07-11-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #136
FORDWOGBOY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Started off driving a manual car... got my license in one.. just bought an auto because they are handy in congested traffic.. i still get to play around with the semi auto so its all good.

CAPA EDIT|XR6T Exhaust|Pacemaker 4490's|3" S/S Intake|XR6T Intake|SL & SSL Kings Springs|DBA X Drilled & Slotted Rotors|18" Koya Octanes|BF XR6 Front|XR Rear|XBOX|Alpine Stereo|

Cams, Valve Springs, 20% Underdrive in the garage
3K Stallie & LSD with 4.11's down the track

Best ET 15.50 @ 92 MPH, 158RWKW

www.bseries.com.au/fordwogboy
Old 07-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #137
HSE2

Interesting result in the poll. Wonder how those numbers tie in with the survey Ford was running.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 PM   #138
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Interesting result in the poll. Wonder how those numbers tie in with the survey Ford was running.
Probably the other way around. Ford survery more then some performance car enthusiasts.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 07-11-2005, 03:34 PM   #139
HSE2

Probably not as the survey was predominately for net users who tend to be enthusiasts
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 07-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #140
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you are not driving a car if you aint changing the gears.
Old 14-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #141
niko
likes falcon's

learnt manual at the age of 10, since being at the legal age to drive on my own ive had 2 manuals and 1 auto; which includes current ea converted from a dead 4speed to t5. A falcons best friend
Old 14-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #142
ford_racer

its sad seeing people driving autos lazy bastards :SaiyanSmi

Old 16-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #143
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

its funny watching people change gears like madmen in heavy traffic, with half the population riding the clutch
Old 16-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #144
Abacus
Life's a Gas

How often do you park behind a car or truck at a red light, facing uphill, and the clown in front rolls back about 1-2 metres when the lights change because he/she can't drive a manual properly?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #145
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I only like manuals due to the fact the torque converter takes more power from the back wheels.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #146
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
I vote auto for work, manual for play.
Same ... for my work ... auto really is necessary.
But it's not the same driving the auto as it is manual for play.
I only just recently went across to auto in both my cars (cos the fiancee can only drive auto).

Plus both my vehicles get used for heavy towing ... something a manual really can't do.

I has Semi-auto in the Territory ... and just the 4-sp auto in the AU ute (which gets used as a manual sometimes ... LOL).

But prior to all that ... I have driven a manual since I got my L's (about 11-12 years ago)
Old 04-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #147
HOON69
Banned

manual i drive and love

but love the hwy with a auto on Cruise Control :P
Old 04-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #148
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My work van is a manual and ИИИИs me after a long day in the city and love to drive my car on the weekends as it's a auto but at the end of the day you have to love the control of a manual
Old 04-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #149
sisan

i drive a auto so the wife can drive after a few drinks but prefer a manual any day. I tried teaching her on a manual & gave up after she burnt the clutch out

Old 04-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #150
Pursuit_chick
E-series mutantette

can drive both, probally prefer manual for county driving and auto for city driving, my ED is auto but i drive an EA to work everyday which is manual :P
Future mods: Speed Holes!
Closed Thread