Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #91
burnz
VFII SS UTE

no only if deemed additional reinforcment, to remind ppl to keep left.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #92
prydey
Rob

i'm not entirely sure why this new regulation is focussing on trucks. surely cars can be just as much a 'bottleneck' in the right lane?

what a lot of people don't understand, is that truck drivers sit up a lot higher and can see whats going on a lot further up the road than a car can.

also, what intimidates a lot of drivers is the size, and especially the size they appear in rear vision mirrors. they will nearly always appear much closer than they actually are. a lot of car drivers worry that a truck will run up the back of them when they brake, but truth is, most truck drivers, due to their increased forward vision, will be on the brakes long before the car in front thinks about braking.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #93
balthazarr

This rule sounds great in theory; in practice, I doubt it will work.

Was driving up Burwood Highway this morning - there's a section where there is a moderately steep hill. Two trucks were battling for supremacy in the left and middle lanes - the truck in the middle lane appeared to be winning the battle - passing at a rate of about 10 cm/km... that left the right lane "clear".... except for the line of hundreds of cars trying to avoid the numpties in the two left lanes. Of course, given that there's a rather large percentage of drivers that can't actually drive, three lanes of cars merging into one lane = chaos.

I doubt this will do anything to free up traffic - all it will do is encourage situations similar to that described above.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #94
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Some great points being made here. I drive a truck for a living. An 8T MR brand new Isuzu FSR 850. Limited to 100kph. Speedo indicated at 100 (via GPS) is 107kph with limiter imposed.

I sit on the limiter in the right lane when I drive from Campbellfield to Mulgrave (Sydney Road, Western Ring Road, Tullamarine Freeway, Westgate Freeway, Tunnel, Monash Freeway and return) everyday because as stated alot earlier it is the safest place for me to be (point VERY well made). By Warrigal Road I am starting to plan my move to the left lane to exit at Blackburn Road. How many of you car drivers are planning your exit from the freeway that far out? Not many. I see it EVERYDAY. 5 days a week. I average around 1500kms a week in my truck and my car.

My truck can EASILY sit on 100kph with a full load up hills. It also EASILY can sit on 80kph in the right lane exiting the Burnley Tunnel, not many car drivers can... if anything especially in the Burnley Tunnel... every single day of the week I am slowing down behind cars who are slowing to 60kph in the tunnel approaching the ascent up towards the exit.

I don't know what the solution is but it certainly isn't keeping ALL truck out of the right hand lane.

I drive a car too

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #95
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

One more thing to add...

The road is MY workplace. Imagine yourself at work and then put some of the actions that happen in MY workplace going on in yours.

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Old 04-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #96
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon 95% of truck drivers wont have a problem cause they keep left anyway and are good drivers, its the 5% of cowboys who cause the problems and are gonna get taken out. and not soon enough.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #97
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
This rule sounds great in theory; in practice, I doubt it will work.

Was driving up Burwood Highway this morning - there's a section where there is a moderately steep hill. Two trucks were battling for supremacy in the left and middle lanes - the truck in the middle lane appeared to be winning the battle - passing at a rate of about 10 cm/km... that left the right lane "clear".... except for the line of hundreds of cars trying to avoid the numpties in the two left lanes. Of course, given that there's a rather large percentage of drivers that can't actually drive, three lanes of cars merging into one lane = chaos.

I doubt this will do anything to free up traffic - all it will do is encourage situations similar to that described above.
and with those two trucks battleing it out for supremacy
the car in the right hand lane are too busy checking to make shure the trucks tires are inflated.
ie: they sit beside them.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #98
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Actually undertaking is a correct term. Passing a car on the left is illegal.
No it is not, if it is a 2 laned road and the vehicle is in the right lane

And no it is not on more than 3 lane roads, please quote correctly.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #99
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOG6
Some great points being made here. I drive a truck for a living. An 8T MR brand new Isuzu FSR 850. Limited to 100kph. Speedo indicated at 100 (via GPS) is 107kph with limiter imposed.

I sit on the limiter in the right lane when I drive from Campbellfield to Mulgrave (Sydney Road, Western Ring Road, Tullamarine Freeway, Westgate Freeway, Tunnel, Monash Freeway and return) everyday because as stated alot earlier it is the safest place for me to be (point VERY well made). By Warrigal Road I am starting to plan my move to the left lane to exit at Blackburn Road. How many of you car drivers are planning your exit from the freeway that far out? Not many. I see it EVERYDAY. 5 days a week. I average around 1500kms a week in my truck and my car.

My truck can EASILY sit on 100kph with a full load up hills. It also EASILY can sit on 80kph in the right lane exiting the Burnley Tunnel, not many car drivers can... if anything especially in the Burnley Tunnel... every single day of the week I am slowing down behind cars who are slowing to 60kph in the tunnel approaching the ascent up towards the exit.

I don't know what the solution is but it certainly isn't keeping ALL truck out of the right hand lane.

I drive a car too
it`s hard to imagine it makeing a difference with traffic flow, you`ll still get some dipstick in the fast lane sitting 10/20 below the limit, then exit taker`s will be panicing to find a hole on the left lanes traffic to get off the freeway.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #100
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
so far its only 3 or more lane freeways for which this rule applies, and its about time. Just this weekend I was driving with my mate from Geelong to Melbourne, and as we watched a truck crawl past a car in the far right lane I commented on how it should be illegal for them to go near that lane. Next it should be made illegal for anyone to undertake - lets get some euro style freeway etiquette happening!

I'm dont think the rule should be introduced two lane roads though, like the ring road which is being considered.
You need to get more educated about trucks.

Speed limited trucks are speed limited based on real time over real distance, which will read different on a speedo, most speedo's in Australia have a built in 5% error, so in fact when a car is sitting on exactly 100 km/h by their speedo, in fact they are doing (in real time) 95 km/h, that said:

A truck passing (actually technically it is overtaking, there is no such word in road law as undertaking BTW) passing is when 2 vehicles from opposite directions go past each other, overtaking is when 2 vehicles going in the same direction and one 'overtakes' the other.

Anyway, the truck was probably sitting on 100km/h real time, a 105 km/h by the speedo of the car (and the truck), a 5 kilomtre per hour overtaking speed difference takes some time to accomplish, trucks don't have the acceleration of cars (nor as many ****************** drivers as cars do).

I think all vehicles should be speed limited BTW
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #101
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
You need to get more educated about trucks.

Speed limited trucks are speed limited based on real time over real distance, which will read different on a speedo, most speedo's in Australia have a built in 5% error, so in fact when a car is sitting on exactly 100 km/h by their speedo, in fact they are doing (in real time) 95 km/h, that said:

A truck passing (actually technically it is overtaking, there is no such word in road law as undertaking BTW) passing is when 2 vehicles from opposite directions go past each other, overtaking is when 2 vehicles going in the same direction and one 'overtakes' the other.

Anyway, the truck was probably sitting on 100km/h real time, a 105 km/h by the speedo of the car (and the truck), a 5 kilomtre per hour overtaking speed difference takes some time to accomplish, trucks don't have the acceleration of cars (nor as many ****************** drivers as cars do).

I think all vehicles should be speed limited BTW
Couldn't agree more.

I would have NO problem whatsoever if my car was limited to an actual speed of 110kph (close to 115kph indicated).

Good post.

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Old 04-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #102
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is it actually illegal to undertake (or overtake on the left, whatever you want to call it) in Victoria now? If so its a rule thats never enforced.
Show me the law, to help you out here is a link to the Road Law section of Victoria Today just to help you track it down.

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Do...ubLawToday.nsf

Hit Statutory Rules and go to "r"

Let me know how you go
Old 04-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #103
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
It works fine in europe. I don't see the issue. This is a good law, why should trucks be allowed in the fast lane, when they struggle to keep upto the speed limit anyway, especially on hills.
There is no such thing (according to the law) of a "fast lane" in Victoria (or Australia), the speed limit is the speed limit regardless of which lane you are driving in.

People need to stop quoting this rubbish, it might apply in Europe, but this ain't Europe.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #104
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Anyone else remember that other great bit legislation involving no lane changing the tunnels, i feel this piece of poorly thought out legislation will be heading for the same fate.

Our roads in this country or for that matter our driver training don't even come close to comparing to those of europe so not really a fair comparison.
The main change that i feel needs to happen and probably won't happen for many generations is driver mentality. Too many people don't see their license as the privelege it is, very little if any respect for any other motorist is also clearly evident.

If people used a little more of a thing called commonsense when it came to sharing the roads, be it with trucks or other cars the roads would be a happier place.
Law is developed around the lowest IQ - end of point.

If everyone did the "right" thing then there would be no need for law, it is the ******** wits who make it hard for everyone.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #105
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by B mobile
How bout we just have 2 speed limits on such roads. up to 90 in the left lane and 90 minimum to 100 maximum for the other lanes.
How about getting a grip on reality.

How about speed limiting cars to 110 km/h?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #106
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
UnderAs far as I've always known, if the road has lines separating the lanes, you can pass on any side.
Yes, you are right
Old 04-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #107
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Great news. Sick of clowns in the right lane on the speed limiter trying to push others out of the way or being mobile road blocks. I think the majority are sick of the bully boy tactics on our roads.
Squashing cars. Sick of clowns doing burnouts up and down my street.

I think the majority are sick of ************** who drive cars with a far less skill than they have knowledge of 'real' vehicle dynamics.

Bring on the crushers, best law introduction in years
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #108
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And just for sake of a bit of history for all those car drivers who use the Westgate Bridge.

When B-Doubles were first introduced into Victoria in large numbers, they had to, "by law" drive in the 2 right lanes over the Westage as the sub-structure on the 2 left lanes wasn't good enough to support the weight of a number of B-Doubles.

So all you who think this is a good law and you are sitting on the Westgate in peak hour and all the trucks, including B-Doubles are in the left lanes, just have a think about how flimsy the structure is under your ***.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #109
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr82nv
learners should be banned from any road with a speed limit of more than 80km/h full stop, and before anybody has a cry and says they need to learn, where exactly are the benifits of being passed by b doubles on the freeway?
That is a stupid exclusive NSW law, we teach kids down here in real time, they can do 100 k's here and 110 on nominated roads.

L Plate drivers from NSW who drive in Vict can also do 100/110 down here.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #110
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Show me the law, to help you out here is a link to the Road Law section of Victoria Today just to help you track it down.

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Do...ubLawToday.nsf

Hit Statutory Rules and go to "r"

Let me know how you go

Ummm, did you miss grammer class in school mate? That was a QUESTION, as indicated by the '?" at then end of the sentence.

First I said it SHOULD be illegal to undertake on a freeway.

Then I ASKED if it was.

So obviously, I was never under the impression that it is illegal. Was merely stating that it should be. Although as has been pointed out, stricter enforcement of the 'keep left unless overtaking' rule would achieve a similar outcome without the need for addtional rules.

As for not being called undertaking... its more like a slang term i guess, obviously its not referred to in legislation as undertaking. Call it what you want, either way its hardly a topic worth debate - we're talking about the same thing.

Also, I'm not sure how your 'truck class 101' was helpful as you've merely stated information of which most people are aware, including myself. How does the trucks speed limiter make its presence in the fast lane any less annoying?

My whole point earlier on in the thread was that freeway etiquette in Australia needs to improve across the board. There have been a lot of good points made since as to why these new rules wont work. At the end of the day we really need more education for ALL drivers.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #111
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPOG6
Couldn't agree more.

I would have NO problem whatsoever if my car was limited to an actual speed of 110kph (close to 115kph indicated).

Good post.
So you would have no problem being a road hazzard travelling at 20km/h under the speed limit in NT?

You would also have no problem being stuck on the wrong side of the road while overtaking and unable to accellerate to get back onto the right side?

It amazes me how many Victorians seem to forget that most of Australia is not within a couple of hundred kilometres Melbourne......
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #112
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
In dublin they have banned trucks in the city districts from 7am to 7 pm . Apparently it working well , allthough i doubt its much fun for truckies.
This will be the next step for Oz i have no doubt about it
This will not work in Melbourne CBD as they have banned truck access until 6.00 am due to noise complaints of those now living in the CBD.

So what you are suggesting is that all truck traffic has to happen in the Melbourne CBD between 6.00am and 7.00 am - yeah right!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #113
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueses
Here's another thought everyone.

TRUCK DRIVERS are more skilled and are MORE QUALIFIED.. We have a HIGHER category license and have had a higher level of training and road education than those who are legally ONLY skilled to drive a car.

WE, truckies are better, safer, more qualified and smarter drivers when we're not surrounded by idiotic morons in cars.
Bloody fine post that.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #114
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So you would have no problem being a road hazzard travelling at 20km/h under the speed limit in NT?

You would also have no problem being stuck on the wrong side of the road while overtaking and unable to accellerate to get back onto the right side?

It amazes me how many Victorians seem to forget that most of Australia is not within a couple of hundred kilometres Melbourne......

Exactly!! Speed limiting cars is an absolutely INSANE suggestion.

Apart from the legitmate safety concerns listed above, dont civil liberties mean anything to anyone? These kinda attitudes, combined with a liberal dose of apathy, is why Australia is by far the biggest nanny state in the Western World these days.

Last edited by tranquilized; 04-03-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #115
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Yep, there's a bit of idiot in everyone at times.... I have seen some of my truck drivers do some stupid stuff at times

Daniel
Heavy vehicles are more noticeable than car drivers as they are bigger and stand out more, but believe me there are more stupid car drivers than there are truck drivers full stop.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #116
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly!! Speed limiting cars is an absolutely INSANE suggestion.
No it isn't, heavy vehicles have to be speed limited, what makes you better than them? In fact road accident statistics PROVE that cars should be speed limited more than trucks and buses.

Quote:
Apart from the legitmate safety concerns listed above, dont civil liberties mean anything to anyone? These kinda attitudes, combined with a liberal dose of apathy, is why Australia is by far the biggest nanny state in the Western World these days.
What about heavy vehicle drivers "civil liberties" - give me a ************** break, grow up.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #117
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is exactly the poor attitude that causes accidents, if you 'need' to break the law to overtake, why did you make such a stupid decision to overtake in the first place, was it because of your poor driving skill that you didn't notice on-coming traffic, or was it beacuse you didn't notice that a bend was coming up, or was it beacuse you pulled out to overtake without taking all the necessary precautions to ensure the road ahead was safe, or was it because of your poor skills in the areas of distance judgement.

Please let us know what category you fall into
Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #118
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If everyone was doing 100 I guess it wouldn't be needed. But lots of us go a little bit faster and its us who will be happier (and strangely who it will help?speeders that is) :-) No more trucks blocking the highways doing the speed limit to slow us down.

I seriously feel like passing on the right hand emergency lane sometimes (I dont though of course)
Old 04-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #119
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Quote:
Of course not mate... but this thread isn't about UNIFORM road laws across the country.

I used 110kph as the guide because that is the fastest I am allowed to drive in Victoria. Why would I attempt to speak on behalf of the rest of country if I haven't extensively driven there? Your argument is flawed and based on technicality mate.

I don't have the problem when I'm in my truck of driving beyond my ability or that of my vehicle. Do you have a problem of driving beyond your ability or that of your vehicle when behind the wheel? (Devils advocate here...)

Just like I have learnt to do when in my truck you LEARN to drive up to the vehicles ability. Not your own.

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Last edited by G6ET8U; 04-03-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #120
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
But lots of us go a little bit faster and its us who will be happier (and strangely who it will help?speeders that is) :-) No more trucks blocking the highways doing the speed limit to slow us down.
Thank you for being honest and up front, it is a pity there aren't more of you posting in this thread.