Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #91
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190

After all, they could of made a real balls up of it, they could have made it look like a Kluger!
Speaking of Klugers. Anyone else driven a 2wd Kluger? Utter rubbish. Like a slow Camry without the handling and twice the torque steer. :
Old 28-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #92
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

Ford once again have missed a golden opportunity to give something "new" to the market.
Where is the LPG only model and where is the diesel ???
Stupid Ford are still missing the boat after all these years.

How BORING...
Old 28-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #93
InTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
When was the last time a new model ford was released that wasnt greeted in this forum by howls of. "its ugly. it doesnt look different enough, ford have lost the plot, i was waiting to buy one but now will buy a holden/toyota/ferarri" etc. Every time... every time.,

next will be the whinges from people who have bought 08 model of how "this is another slap in the face to current owners by ford, thouands of dollars of resale value lost, i will never buy another ford. etc etc"

its all so very reassuringly predictable.
Have a read of the threads regarding the new WS model Fiesta. Nearly unanimous praise for that new Ford.
Old 28-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #94
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Looks alright to me, fresh enough until the all new model next year i think
Old 28-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #95
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

^^ Agreed...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #96
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to me it looks just like the prev. model terri. Never liked them on principle - either a car is an off-roader or it is not there is no 50-50 bet on this. Offroader or onroader all cars that try to be half/half are just silly, yet people buy them :

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #97
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should get The Stylist to help them out with designs!
Old 28-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #98
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suttle changes, but still looks fresh to me.

I would have one as a family car.

Doing a minor facelift to hold out for the new model is no different to when the ED was released.

As said, the changes are suttle, but ny all means i don't think they have made a step backwards.

Cheers
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #99
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
to me it looks just like the prev. model terri. Never liked them on principle - either a car is an off-roader or it is not there is no 50-50 bet on this. Offroader or onroader all cars that try to be half/half are just silly, yet people buy them :
The choice isn't simply whether you want to go off road or stay on road, that's very narrow minded. Take into account space, seating capacity, comfort, versatility etc etc. They have all the space of a 4WD without driving like a truck. In fact, they drive just like a car. If you want space, among other things, you shouldn't be limited to either a minivan or a hard core 4WD. The concept isn't silly at all, just ask the thousands of people that have bought them and are very satisfied with them.

Back on topic, this "new" design (I use that term loosely) is starting to grow on me.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #100
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Well all we can say after just getting back from the motor show is they have picked the 2 UGLIEST colours to "launch" it in thats even if you notice its an update because theres no sign or banner or anything its just another car on the stand.

For whats its worth i think its a 50/50 towards the FG its got the big fish mouth look to it so its going there just not all the way but it will take some getting use to and also why take 5 years to do an update to bring a new model in one? :S
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #101
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
me and my dad have had 4 territorys between us and no electrical issues with any of em, we have had an 04, 05, 07 and 08 now...
4 out of god knows many made.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #102
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t

Welcome to selling a car that the market wants. Ford actually saw potential in this type of vehicle and made it was a success. If it was you they should have made a ford Adventura cause that worked a treat didn't it!!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #103
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Well he said they were 04, 05, 07 and 08 model years... So if there were common electrial problems, you'd think he would have noticed them on atleast one of those cars built across a number of years. I have had no electrical problems on mine either.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #104
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Well the new release has happened and the Ford website has been updated, so Ford how are you going to sell the new model as there has been NO media advertising about it AT ALL. Where is the media blitz that would get them selling!!!!

However why am I not surprised!!!
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #105
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People need to understand it is only a minor facelift and that in this economic climate Ford could not justify spending more money. Territory is still an old fashioned body side stamping so you would think that it will receive it's major transformation when it becomes a single body side stamping like the FG. This will most likely happen when Territory is due for the Euro 4 spec motor next year. It would also receive the FG interior. And hopefully liquid gas injection and diesel.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #106
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
People need to understand it is only a minor facelift and that in this economic climate Ford could not justify spending more money. Territory is still an old fashioned body side stamping so you would think that it will receive it's major transformation when it becomes a single body side stamping like the FG. This will most likely happen when Territory is due for the Euro 4 spec motor next year. It would also receive the FG interior. And hopefully liquid gas injection and diesel.
And let's hope the POS 4 speed transmission is replaced by then!! I'm just so disappointed at the motor show to see the 2WD versions still only get this crappy transmission. They could of at least put in the 5 speed and make the ZF an option!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #107
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
So the question is why did they even bother spending $$ they don't have on basically nothing? It would have been better to put the $$ towards next years REAL update.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #108
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Speaking of Klugers. Anyone else driven a 2wd Kluger? Utter rubbish. Like a slow Camry without the handling and twice the torque steer. :
Yes, I just spent another week with one in Western Australia. I am very disappointed in the Kluger, it looks reasonably good, but just underperforms in so many ways. Engine has no torque, gearbox is indecisive, suspension woeful. Rear end is course and rough, even on WA's smooth black top and the seats are just shocking.

But it does have a couple of nice features, the second row of seats can recline, and even the base model comes with a reversing camera and privacy glass in the rear. Also the roof mount rear AC vents with it's own controller is good too.

Our 2006 Territory just leaves it for dead dynamically. We had a day of quite heavy rain (Any rain for a Voctorian is heavy but this actually was!) and I can honestly say the Kluger was so nervous on the wet roads that I had to slow to 80km/h (speed limit was 110km/h) as it just didn't feel safe.

The Territory, on the other hand relishes those kind of conditions and makes wet or slippery road driving more than a pleasure to tackle. As I have previously said, the Territory is a great car in need of a freshen up. Make it look a little newer, tidy up the interior with some fresh features and better quality plastics and it'll be a winner again.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #109
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Full of shiteee..

I have all the Ford TSBs for BA / BF / SX / SY and one thing fords never have is electrical faults... There are other issues like brakes, handbrake adjustments etc but as far as electrics and mechanics go they are pretty tough...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #110
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Funny, on these Forums you hear all the defects in all Ford products ... and yet I dont recall any comments of electricals being dodgey, save for Windscreen mounted Areal, and the E series Doorlocks.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #111
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Ford really left this update a little late IMO but the next Tezz/full on update should look the goods. The problem with updating a shape is that it usually amounts to sticking more bits on and you lose the cohesion of the original design.

Id like to see the next Tezza be a mix of FG and the original R7 concept.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #112
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Next Tezza will be nice and i'm sure will get the thumbs up by many here ;)

You must realise the amount of work that goes into these updates and the reasons why they are limited when they release a mid cycle update like this one.

The implications of changing the structure more than what they have is endless from an engineering and safety point of view. For example, if they had changed the front any more than what they have done, then the car would have been up for all sorts of safety tests, airbag recalibration, durability etc etc. Costs would have blown out by another 10 million easy by the time you factor in the redesign of parts/panels/lights and the testing that goes with it.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #113
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate has an early Terri Ghia and its plagued with window motor issues.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #114
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I am shopping for a SUV at the moment for the wife and this update won't cut it sorry.

I don't want to upset anyone but I will be completley honest - I wanted a Territory (6spd AWD ghia) when we started the new car search - but it will be the wifes car so her decision. She wants the RAV4 V6 - more power, lighter, almost just as big inside (the new models have really grown) and in the real world gets about 12L/100km. The Territory on the other hand is getting 15-18L/100km around the city (where she does all her driving). Its hard to argue with her when presented with these facts. It would have taken a diesal or smaller/more efficient 6 to get her into one. I agree the Territory looks alot better than the RAV though. Oh well maybe next time.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #115
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
Yes, I just spent another week with one in Western Australia. I am very disappointed in the Kluger, it looks reasonably good, but just underperforms in so many ways. Engine has no torque, gearbox is indecisive, suspension woeful. Rear end is course and rough, even on WA's smooth black top and the seats are just shocking.

But it does have a couple of nice features, the second row of seats can recline, and even the base model comes with a reversing camera and privacy glass in the rear. Also the roof mount rear AC vents with it's own controller is good too.

Our 2006 Territory just leaves it for dead dynamically. We had a day of quite heavy rain (Any rain for a Voctorian is heavy but this actually was!) and I can honestly say the Kluger was so nervous on the wet roads that I had to slow to 80km/h (speed limit was 110km/h) as it just didn't feel safe.

The Territory, on the other hand relishes those kind of conditions and makes wet or slippery road driving more than a pleasure to tackle. As I have previously said, the Territory is a great car in need of a freshen up. Make it look a little newer, tidy up the interior with some fresh features and better quality plastics and it'll be a winner again.

i'm just fresh out of a 2 week stint in the kluger(it had 950klms when i picked it up) and can only agree with noticeable torque steer and also a huge turning circle as well as the driving dynamics(bit of an under steerer).. you mention nothing about fuel economy which i found to be exceptional for this size vehicle..av 9.4 lt/per 100k's on the first day of travel from my place to robe, sa(600 klms) with 5 people and luggage to suit. i ended up doing around 2,300 klms all up and the worst i saw was 10.3lt/per 100 k's. it's funny how deception differs between drivers as i found the kluger to be very responsive down low and the 5 speed auto a treat. the biggest criticism was when in cruise control and set at 110 k's, you hit any incline and it had a habit of dropping back 1 gear and even 2 gears at times even on the slightest of inclines..the rear seat travellers loved the split aircond systems and i also found the luggage area to be slightly bigger than the terri..overall i enjoyed my time in the kluger..

just a footnote : i have hired the rwd terri over the same terrain for the previous 3 years holiday period, so was in a position to do my own comparison.

cheers
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #116
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very underwhelming update; it's going to get massacred by the new 2010 Prado for sure.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #117
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
So the question is why did they even bother spending $$ they don't have on basically nothing? It would have been better to put the $$ towards next years REAL update.
They spent the cash on it now to keep it relevant, not necessarily to gain sales, but to keep them at a constant and not loose any sales, and more importantly, to keep people interested in the Terri for when the new model does arrive.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #118
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Very underwhelming update; it's going to get massacred by the new 2010 Prado for sure.
I don't understand why people compare the Territory with the likes of Prado and Pajero, it is not a competitor for these vehicles in the same respect that it isn't a competitor for the Land Cruiser 200 or the Land Rover Defender, it is to compete with the Kluger and Murano, they are not serious offroaders like a Prado or Pajero are, nor do they cost as much, but they are roomy and practical family wagons, that look like a SUV, but don't drive like one.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #119
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
Well the new release has happened and the Ford website has been updated, so Ford how are you going to sell the new model as there has been NO media advertising about it AT ALL. Where is the media blitz that would get them selling!!!!

However why am I not surprised!!!
It doesn't go on sale until April, so why advertise now when its not even on sale yet. Give it a few weeks before you criticize them for not advertising it.

And Ford don't exactly have bags of cash to spend on marketing either.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #120
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It doesn't go on sale until April, so why advertise now when its not even on sale yet. Give it a few weeks before you criticize them for not advertising it.

And Ford don't exactly have bags of cash to spend on marketing either.

Ford just started advertising a value deal on territories.