Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #91
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Hi all keep this thread going
I just typed in Repco Brabham in Google and up cam pics of Jack and also an engine with Repco Brabham on the rocker cover also a Brabham Buick and who could forget the biggest piece of Crap Holdens made was a Brabham Torana of 1968 with a whole 75 HP although not really a Holden it was a HB Vauxhall Viva with the new name of Torana and had absolutely nothing in common with the "LJ" and so on Toranas that went to bathurst just the name
The LJ just has a longer nose to fit the holden 6 in, still the same basic Vauxhall car as far as I know (but evolved by Holden) : )
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #92
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

ZR1 LT5 was 32 valve dohc per bank. Designed by Lotus, but they had to use Chevys standard bore spacings which meant that the bore/stroke ratio was a bit out.

Re: Yamaha casting Fords alloy heads. IIRC Bill Tuckey's True Blue book said that it was Honda (not that I have anything against Yamaha they have done hot Toyota engines (and the SHO Taurus V6) for ages)
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 18-02-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #93
burnz
VFII SS UTE

EA to AU not the intec (honda deseign) the head, but ford foundry the design.
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #94
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
EA to AU not the intec (honda deseign) the head, but ford foundry the design.
¿Qué?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #95
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Re: Yamaha casting Fords alloy heads. IIRC Bill Tuckey's True Blue book said that it was Honda
Correct. The alloy head was a development of the iron xflow head but cast by Honda in Japan. From a very vague memory, the raw materials were shipped from Alcoa Australia's Pinjarra plant.

Other info, Ford Oz designed a DOHC head for the EA motor, was going to be on the 3.2 motor but only developed similar power to the 3.9 MPEFI so was never used.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #96
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Ford designed and made by Yamaha wasn’t it?
Wrong

In 1977 Honda and ford designed it. Honda cast it in japan. Using alloy shipped from australia.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #97
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron
Correct. The alloy head was a development of the iron xflow head but cast by Honda in Japan. From a very vague memory, the raw materials were shipped from Alcoa Australia's Pinjarra plant.

Other info, Ford Oz designed a DOHC head for the EA motor, was going to be on the 3.2 motor but only developed similar power to the 3.9 MPEFI so was never used.
dang, beat me!

Funny it is, that xbgs351 was going on about misinformation....

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #98
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=xbgs351]We are sure getting into grandfather’s old axe territory here.

XBGS351....i recon if we were to have a pub brawl, you would win.
anyway i appreciate your input, especially the first comment...
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #99
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Van
different engine mate
f trucks had the 240 and 300 sixes
these were a canadian built engine not related to the small six
I'm sure when I worked for a builder years ago it had the 250 engine in it..
Not to be confused with D series engines..

What was said to me about Cat and Ford wasn't anything to do with thin wall casting...
Way back diesel engines where made in three separate sections..Like some motor bike engines today ..
They joined forces to design a mono block ..Where crankcase, cylinder section etc was in one cast block to make engines stronger and cheaper to make....

Without being pedantic I'm sure Toyota and other companies have copied .. Not exact copies .. Some of the old Celica motors look very similar to B series Austin motors.. With a little Roots thrown in.. Like the Humber 80 engine..

The old side valve Cadilac and Ford are similar too.. The Caddy has inlet and "exhaust" on centre side of heads..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4

Last edited by ebxr8240; 18-02-2009 at 08:07 PM.
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #100
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Cosworth Did build a Motor on the kent, a variation eventually found its way into the RS200.

The Famous YB cosworths are based on pinto blocks.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 18-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #101
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Wrong

In 1977 Honda and ford designed it. Honda cast it in japan. Using alloy shipped from australia.
My recollection from when I was a kid was that it was Yamaha. I did a search and some sources stated Honda and others Yamaha. It wouldn't be the first time that a book was wrong, so that is why I asked it as a question rather than stating it as a fact.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #102
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Cosworth Did build a Motor on the kent, a variation eventually found its way into the RS200.

The Famous YB cosworths are based on pinto blocks.
The BDT.
Old 18-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #103
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
I'm sure when I worked for a builder years ago it had the 250 engine in it..
Not to be confused with D series engines..

What was said to me about Cat and Ford wasn't anything to do with thin wall casting...
Way back diesel engines where made in three separate sections..Like some motor bike engines today ..
They joined forces to design a mono block ..Where crankcase, cylinder section etc was in one cast block to make engines stronger and cheaper to make....

Without being pedantic I'm sure Toyota and other companies have copied .. Not exact copies .. Some of the old Celica motors look very similar to B series Austin motors.. With a little Roots thrown in.. Like the Humber 80 engine..

The old side valve Cadilac and Ford are similar too.. The Caddy has inlet and "exhaust" on centre side of heads..
And they were started by petrol donkey engines that where started by a cord. Can you find any photos of these diesels?

The Toyota T series motors look nothing like the Austin B series motors.
Old 18-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #104
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
And they were started by petrol donkey engines that where started by a cord. Can you find any photos of these diesels?

It was said by an old cat tech while working charter boat in Bay of Islands..
My bothers Cat motor at the time was 250 h.p V8 N/A.. Power was possibly restricted being being a charter boat, drive shaft size etc..

The Toyota T series motors look nothing like the Austin B series motors.
Easy... the 18RG does ..Very heavy motor..
I didn't mention T series??
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 18-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #105
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Alloy heads

I always thought it was Yamaha that did the work on the XD heads
just something in the back of my mind
This is getting very interesting even if the facts are just old memories and sometimes the memory fades a bit
thanks JP or starting it off
I do remember reading back in 1963 that there was a Falcon 170 CI with a super charger and fuel injection that was making 200 horse power some thing incredible from a motor that ran 100 HP in standard form
Also what about the Falcon of Pritchards in Bayswater in Melbourne that ran a Steam Engine
Just getting off track a bit here
Does anyone remember Norm Beechys S4 EH Holden they were always painted in a salmon (pinky) colour
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #106
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Easy... the 18RG does ..Very heavy motor..
I didn't mention T series??
You mentioned Celicas, and hence I assumed you meant the T series.
Old 18-02-2009, 11:26 PM   #107
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
You mentioned Celicas, and hence I assumed you meant the T series.
Yea I swear the 1UZ is lighter than than original motor !!
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 19-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #108
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron

On both those comments, the alloy material was supplied by Alcoa Point Henry Smelter as it was the only smelter in Australia capable of producing Alloy material back then, all others at the time produced straight alumium un-alloyed. Also Pinjara is an Alumina refinery and not a smelter.

Finally, I had a neighbour who was the Product Engineering Engine Guru for Ford back in the EA development days. The DOHC Engine was going to be used as an XR engine but if you remember back then, the finances were pretty slim and the EA was a bucket of goop and every thing looked terminal.

I've always wondered how much of that engine was used as the basis for the Barra Engine...
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #109
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the correction aquahead. I knew it was most definitely Honda that did the castings and the raw materials came from Alcoa Aus.

I had a black and white picture of an engineer working with the DOHC EA head somewhere, if I find it, i'll post it up. From memory, it used fingers/buckets and no bearing shells, (same as the SOHC head).
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #110
BlackLS
yum

xbgs351 you really know your stuff!

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #111
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

RS1800 was designed around the Kent engine.. Though much much stronger!!
The alloy block above is similar to 1600 engine..
I remember guys like Brian Hart, Don Halliday bros racing Comaro's around Bay Park at the mount..

His ATS spell was the start of a successful designing career, spent mostly in the US. Founded, and still head of Halliday Technologies and also BLIS technology, and now a engineer for Paul Newman's Champ Car Atlantic team. Also helps nephew Matt and daughter Liz in their respective series.

I bought his rally 1600 and latter 2000 Heatway rally engines..
Daily driver GTE FG..

Last edited by ebxr8240; 19-02-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 19-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #112
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquahead2001
On both those comments, the alloy material was supplied by Alcoa Point Henry Smelter as it was the only smelter in Australia capable of producing Alloy material back then, all others at the time produced straight alumium un-alloyed. Also Pinjara is an Alumina refinery and not a smelter.

Finally, I had a neighbour who was the Product Engineering Engine Guru for Ford back in the EA development days. The DOHC Engine was going to be used as an XR engine but if you remember back then, the finances were pretty slim and the EA was a bucket of goop and every thing looked terminal.

I've always wondered how much of that engine was used as the basis for the Barra Engine...
Twin cam EA engines were built as prototypes, but the SOHC engines made good power and were cheaper to make. DOHC would only have been used if the SOHC heads couldn't provide the power Ford wanted.

I was lucky enough to have a look around Fords engine lab a few years ago, and its pretty amazing how they use high speed cameras to view engine internals when they are running on the dyno. The rocker covers have a section removed and replaced with clear perspex, and the camera films what the rocker gear is doing. I think they may even be able to film the combustion chamber to see how the fuel air mix is burning.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post