Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #91
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am limited to a Honda lawnmower, line trimmer and pressure washer, and once owned an XR 250. In my limited Honda ownership, let me say, if they're vehicles are half as good as their gardening equipment and motorbikes, then sign me up for one now.......
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #92
Danny
GT4.

Hadn't seen this thread till now, but sister has the latest Civic Type R, and while it's nothing on the 182 Clio Sport I own, it's a very good and solid well built car.

Honda is a very good manufacturer, you pay for them however....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #93
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Personally I wouldn't buy a Honda for me but the wife yes ! lol.....
Got her a Civic prior to the kids arriving keep them serviced never miss a beat, fantastic reliability and keep their value rather well as well not that I care much about that anyway.
After trying other brands for a while she wanted a CRV, again can't fault it, we are diligent in regards to serviceing this thing is just on 100thou k's and have only had a radiator bung up.
They do need to lift their range in the looks dept as mentioned Mazda have for sure taken some share off them but all round reliable good product for the wives haha
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #94
Barnaby

I owned an '07 Accord Euro Luxury. Nice car, well made. Most of their models now are made in Thailand and the build quality has dropped. The new Euro is still made in Japan and all the little issues we didn't like with the old model were fixed with the new one. The power increase was a disappointment to the new model though. I think the Japs just don't get it, they just go for numbers. They just don't think of practical engine power spreads. The Euro was a total slug until 4000 rpm and then it went well, but who wants that in a shopping trolley? Pulling a trailer was dangerous and the turning circle with 17" alloys was appalling. Check the turning circle on the new model with 18"s...its worse!

The only other thing that I cant confirm because I haven't driven the new one is the road noise was quite bad too, way worse than you would expect from a Honda...but the old model was probably never originally designed to take 17" wheels with sport rubber (it was factory fitted)

Conclusion? Better stuff out there for the money...go have a look at the VW range...I have a Golf and its a great car...not as good as my AU XR6 ute, but still nice...
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #95
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
Personally I wouldn't buy a Honda for me but the wife yes ! lol.....
Thats how I see it too, nothing particularly wrong with them but I wouldn't have one for a daily.

There are always exceptions though, as others have mentioned the DC2, NSX-R (or any NSX!) and even the S2000 would all be welcome in my garage.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #96
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
....Conclusion? Better stuff out there for the money...go have a look at the VW range...I have a Golf and its a great car...not as good as my AU XR6 ute, but still nice...
This is something Id love as a daily drive. The VW Golf TDI 2L looks and seems to go VERY well.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #97
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
This is something Id love as a daily drive. The VW Golf TDI 2L looks and seems to go VERY well.
I can honestly say It's the best car I've owned (Golf5 FSI comfortline). Its fantastic to drive, great brakes, holds the road great, engine revs out nicely but still has great bottom end torque, comfortable, and never gets over 7.5L per 100km, on a trip its in the low 6s. It has a climate control that does what it wants and I still have issues with all the hand controls on the opposite side.

I wouldn't bother with the diesels, the new 1.4L petrol engines are not far behind them in economy, are cheaper to service and a lot more fun to drive especially in turbocharged/supercharged variants. And I just know the missus will fill the TDI with petrol. :
Old 13-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #98
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based entirely on observation (and with considerable degree of jest).

Now that there is no Celica, the Honda has picked up its role.

ie large Asian families, young female drivers, and rice boys.
(I don't mean this to sound racist or sexist - but I know it will)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #99
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I can honestly say It's the best car I've owned (Golf5 FSI comfortline). Its fantastic to drive, great brakes, holds the road great, engine revs out nicely but still has great bottom end torque, comfortable, and never gets over 7.5L per 100km, on a trip its in the low 6s. It has a climate control that does what it wants and I still have issues with all the hand controls on the opposite side.

I wouldn't bother with the diesels, the new 1.4L petrol engines are not far behind them in economy, are cheaper to service and a lot more fun to drive especially in turbocharged/supercharged variants. And I just know the missus will fill the TDI with petrol. :
I prefer the diesels though due to no GTI's having auto DSG boxes. But thats just me, especially when its for city duties.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #100
Barnaby

Quote:
I prefer the diesels though due to no GTI's having auto DSG boxes. But thats just me, especially when its for city duties.
According to the latest GTI brochure -

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/etc/med...i_brochure.pdf

- they do have a DSG gearbox. As far as I'm aware they were one of the first Golfs to showcase this technology.
Old 13-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #101
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I stand corrected. I was looking at carsales for second hand versions and found none. Looks like they have only just brought this technology in now.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #102
Carby

Well built cars but generally conservative and for the most part engines that don't really suit Australia. Most of their cars need to be thrashed high up to the rev range to get them moving, torque is lacking down low. The Honda S2000 produced 177kw from a 2.0 litre NA motor astonishing really, but it was all up high in the rev range and a real dog to drive in everday traffic.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #103
Barnaby

Quote:
I stand corrected. I was looking at carsales for second hand versions and found none. Looks like they have only just brought this technology in now.
Sorry...but my '05 Golf5 is not even a GTI and it has a 6 speed DSG and I'm sure the GTI and R32 of the day had the DSG box as well. Expensive option on these cars back then...
Old 13-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I am limited to a Honda lawnmower, line trimmer and pressure washer, and once owned an XR 250. In my limited Honda ownership, let me say, if they're vehicles are half as good as their gardening equipment and motorbikes, then sign me up for one now.......
They're good as in being really reliable, we do have a few difficulties with the odd Thailand built Civic which needs a whole new bottom end, covered under warranty which Honda still doesn't know the cause of, we thinks its just dodgy Thailand manufacturing. Also few Accord Euros with the 5sp auto that leak oil which is also covered under warranty with no problems, but thats about as far as our problems go so far, the 2 months I've been at Honda we haven't had anything come in for a massive problem besides 2 or 3 Thailand Civics with the aforementioned bottom end problem. Mind you our dealership services 50 cars a day.

Though, something that made me laugh was we had a 1999 DC2 Type R Integra come in, one of the mechanics reccomended new seats because the Recaros are starting to get wear marks on the sides of the seat, he goes to spare parts and gets a quote for 2 recaro seats from Spare Parts.... $12,000.

Also not sure on other dealerships, but at ours we can pick up your car from your house, service it and drop it back, or you can take it in and we can drop you off to work and pick you up later, valet pickup its called.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-04-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #105
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Though, something that made me laugh was we had a 1999 DC2 Type R Integra come in, one of the mechanics reccomended new seats because the Recaros are starting to get wear marks on the sides of the seat, he goes to spare parts and gets a quote for 2 recaro seats from Spare Parts.... $12,000.
yup. Recaro Sr3's from memory. A tighter fit than the Dc5's. You can get repair kits for the side bolsters on line. It is a real bugger getting the unique mesh trim.
Rarest of the rare is the Sunlight Yellow coupes with the matching yellow Recaros (available for only 1 year here?)
when I had mine retrimmed I had extra padding put in and the side frame bent in to hold me tighter (it worked for a few months until a couple of fatties jumped in the drivers seat). The stock seats are a bit of a pain for daily driving but I find them a bit too loose for track work. They are big, heavy suckers too, but if I wanted to change to something like 1 piece brides I'd have to get the car reregistered as only a 2 seater.

Experienced guys rest their weight on their hand placed on the door sill, line up their bum then lower themselves. This takes a lot of wear & tear on the side bolsters.

I found out that you can still get replacement Type R windcreens ($800 ish) and replacement B18 short blocks ($5000ish) too. And if anyone has a new set of factory option metal foot pedals, I'll buy them.

The original JDM cars were corner weighted for a jap driver only at 55kg (or maybe 60kg). I'm 65-70kg and I don't know if the export models were corner weighted for a heavier amount. USA market cars were about 150kg heavier than ours.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #106
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only Honda I've ever driven was an S2000, 1999 model (wow, never really thought about how old they are now).

I can't really say anything bad about it, maybe a bit lacking down low, but it's not that sort of car. I've heard people complain that the BOSS 260 engines don't have enough torque lower down the rev range either, has never bothered me, just sounds like a poor excuse. The leather seats also tend to wear quickly in that typical side cushion area.

It felt nimble, handled like a go-kart. Getting it above ~6000 rpm made it feel like a completely different engine. Taking it to 9000 rpm through a few gears is still something that I can fondly remember. It also has the sweetest feeling gearbox that I have ever had the privilege to use, such a short, direct shift. Felt magic.

They are still pricey though, you need to spend ~30K to get something with reasonably low kms. If they were cheaper and I wasn't such a V8 fanboy, I very easily could of bought one over the XR8, and would of definitely bought one over a XR6.

I think I can recall reading that the S2000 engine at the time that it was in production, was the world's most powerful piston driven NA car engine per litre of displacement. That's a pretty impressive achievement imo.

The rest of the current Honda line up doesn't really do anything for me. The Civic Type-R and the DC5 Integra Type-R are two that I would possibly like if I get a chance to drive them.
Old 14-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #107
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Hamsters.

Oh and that funny video of the camaro vs honda guy thats kind of like DIY lego videos.

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #108
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

i dont mind hondas, but im biased because my grandad was one of the two people who set up honda in australia! i actually have Mr Hondas golf putter! lol grandad gave it to me
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #109
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Only Honda I've ever really wanted was a CT110.

Only Honda I've ever owned is my Lawnmower. And its a damn good mower.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #110
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Oh gawd, I found this video about V8 vs Honda again...... still makes me laugh my butt off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcf3E...eature=related

Not exactly SFW language....
Apologies to the honda fans, but this is funny and unfortuantely so true so often

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #111
djrice
the burgerman

i have a cheap honda accord has 300000ks and still runs strong good enginerring on it but still cheap jap crap :monkes: : : : : : : : : : :
djrice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #112
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Make o/k bikes...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #113
Gladio

There strong... But once things go wrong abit costy! I rember the good old preludes... just wasnt worth fixing, a window motor was like 200$ from the wreakers!
Gladio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post