Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like i said in another thread, this site is almost like the media, as soon as a young person crashes and dies or kills some friends, theres a thread created for it, saying how tragic it is and young people have no idea, etc, etc. iv'e never seen a thread started when a 40 yr old crashes and dies. whats with that?
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
like i said in another thread, this site is almost like the media, as soon as a young person crashes and dies or kills some friends, theres a thread created for it, saying how tragic it is and young people have no idea, etc, etc. iv'e never seen a thread started when a 40 yr old crashes and dies. whats with that?
Okay, overnight; a man age 30 drove his Falcon at 8:40 last night on Railway Crescent, Lisarow on the NSW CC and left the road impacting into a tree (two trees), he died before he could be released from the vehicle.

You get that.

To help combat this we will install a new fixed speed camera on the F3 at Minmi, and increase speeding fine monetary amounts. RTA will then fund $5,000 to Harold Scruby via the Pedestrian Council for a walk-event.

These three actions will save your life tomorrow when Fred Georgston is expected to run into you at 66km/h in the 60km/h zone at 2:34pm, after all, every 5km/h makes a difference.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Once again there is a tragic loss of young life. What can be done? I know that there have been threads on this over and over again, sadly.

But as car enthusiasts, perhaps we could do some brain storming and put some constructive thoughts forward. No pollie bashing, as tempting as it is, they have obviously run out of idea's, short of bigger fines and lower speed limits, more camera's, you get the idea......

I think that education is the answer, along with aptitude and attitude tests. What else can be done??
I have a vested interest in saving young kids lives, as I have a couple of them. As I am sure many on this forum do.
Teach people to drive , not pass a test , if it is deemed a matter worthy of legislation so be it.
Things have changed dramatically since I started driving , I have several million K of experience and a new driver cant have that but a hundred or so is well worth it as well as mandatory skid pan training .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ yeah it's funny how it ended up blocking traffic rather than slowing down traffic.

Oh another thing... might wanna build some cars and set them up on the side of the street in a way that looks like an accident just happened. That'll slow down traffic i tells ya.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most elderly people today will say how easy it is for kids to get their liscence these days, WTF, because in the next sentence they will tell you how when they got their liscence, they just went to the local cop station did a lap of the block and he handed them their liscence.
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #6
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs
most elderly people today will say how easy it is for kids to get their liscence these days, WTF, because in the next sentence they will tell you how when they got their liscence, they just went to the local cop station did a lap of the block and he handed them their liscence.
I admit my test was a joke. My brother drove me around town and told me the route they usually took. Not only was he right, we even did the 3 point turn in the same spot and parallel parked behind the same car during the test! I passed and then put it SIDEWAYS (Brand new Caddy too!) leaving the parking lot. (Switched to my car, '73 Ranchero w/400 and 3" sidepipes and got my first ticket ("Unneccssary noise,squealing of tires"- I was doing doughnuts!) 10 minutes later. HAHAHAAA!)

This sucker below being the beast in question. My brother figured as soon as I started it and it started rumbling and shaking they'd fail me on the spot! LOL.

So he made me cut my hair, wear a suit and drive his brand new Cadillac. *snort*

So. My whole driver's test was go down the main street. Turn. Go around the block, and about 1/2 way around, 3 point turn here, thank you, park behind this car, thank you, drive back to the arena. Here ya go.

My driver training? I used to get up early and run hard on the gravel roads outside of town til I'd ditch it. (get to work and climb out the window and get the BIIIIIG prybar and while the entire shop grinned (Laughed hysterically at my young ***!!) pry the sidepipes off the doors!)

BUT!! My theory was even back then that to drive fast I had to learn to drive slow. I used the gravel because at under 50 km/h I'd slide off the road. When I did, I'd just drive back on. I learned skid control and recovery without endangering others. I practised driving fast in reverse for God's sake. LOL.

Now? Even the backroads up north are paved. No one will "do anything" because that would take effort and it's easier to just legislate. Insurance companies don't really care because collision is big business for them and if accidents went down so would their (and the bodyshops that support them) profits.

And on and on and on we could go. I wish I wasn't such a cynic but when I watch people do ANYTHING but drive while in traffic, anything to AVOID driving and listen to the car manufacturers encourage it with all this anti-driving crap installed in new cars I can'r help it.

Yes. We DO need "safer drivers" but we're NOT going to get them. We're going to get "Lane departure warning systems" instead!

Done. LOL.

And drivers here in Canada are FAR worse than drivers in AUS!!
Old 21-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den.
I admit my test was a joke. My brother drove me around town and told me the route they usually took. Not only was he right, we even did the 3 point turn in the same spot and parallel parked behind the same car during the test! I passed and then put it SIDEWAYS (Brand new Caddy too!) leaving the parking lot. (Switched to my car, '73 Ranchero w/400 and 3" sidepipes and got my first ticket ("Unneccssary noise,squealing of tires"- I was doing doughnuts!) 10 minutes later. HAHAHAAA!)

This sucker below being the beast in question. My brother figured as soon as I started it and it started rumbling and shaking they'd fail me on the spot! LOL.

So he made me cut my hair, wear a suit and drive his brand new Cadillac. *snort*

So. My whole driver's test was go down the main street. Turn. Go around the block, and about 1/2 way around, 3 point turn here, thank you, park behind this car, thank you, drive back to the arena. Here ya go.

My driver training? I used to get up early and run hard on the gravel roads outside of town til I'd ditch it. (get to work and climb out the window and get the BIIIIIG prybar and while the entire shop grinned (Laughed hysterically at my young ***!!) pry the sidepipes off the doors!)

BUT!! My theory was even back then that to drive fast I had to learn to drive slow. I used the gravel because at under 50 km/h I'd slide off the road. When I did, I'd just drive back on. I learned skid control and recovery without endangering others. I practised driving fast in reverse for God's sake. LOL.

Now? Even the backroads up north are paved. No one will "do anything" because that would take effort and it's easier to just legislate. Insurance companies don't really care because collision is big business for them and if accidents went down so would their (and the bodyshops that support them) profits.

And on and on and on we could go. I wish I wasn't such a cynic but when I watch people do ANYTHING but drive while in traffic, anything to AVOID driving and listen to the car manufacturers encourage it with all this anti-driving crap installed in new cars I can'r help it.

Yes. We DO need "safer drivers" but we're NOT going to get them. We're going to get "Lane departure warning systems" instead!

Done. LOL.

And drivers here in Canada are FAR worse than drivers in AUS!!
that would be a bit scarey too think there are worse drivers than in melbourne ........i took off from traffic lights tonight at a major intersection the dopey sheila in the turn lane only (along side me ) just drove straight ahead into my lane, if i had not braked hard i would have been sandwiched between 2 cars, perhaps as well as training we should be IQ testing
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

to hell with weight limits, my baby weighs 2.5 tonne!
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #9
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

When i was in year 3 we went to a place where they sat us down to talk about road dangers and road rules, then they put us on bicycles and let us 'drive' around a specially made bike track that was marked out with road lines, sets of lights, round-a-bouts, give way and stop signs etc. We were all pretending to be cars and we all took it very seriously because we felt like grown ups. It was a shame we only went once and worse yet, my little brother is almost finishing primary school (at the same school) and he has never been.

My fiancee and I drive XR8s. He is on his opens, im still on my p's for another few months. So you know what i think about power restrictions.

Restrictions are useless. P platers need to learn to drive late at night, with passengers, over 80km/hr etc. If they cannot do so when they hold a P licence, when will they learn? When they are on their opens... What is the point in that? Then we will have "open" licence holders who have not been exposed to many variables. The day someone gets their open licence they do not magically become more experienced drivers than the day before when they were on their p's. Education and experience are individual things, some people learn faster, some people drive more, some people are more mature...how do you regulate that? Make everyone take the bus and save the environment! :

This is a topic that will forever be discussed, i know i will be 50 sitting there saying how terrible younger people are and how so much should be so different.

As long as there is human error there will be motor vehicle accidents. Even when we are all driven around by robots there will be technological malfunctions and people will still get killed. Today we have Accident and Emergency doctors and nurses to try fix the problems caused by driving around big heavy chunks of metal at 100km/hr 5,10,50 years from now they will still be there and we will still be trying to find ways to fix the 'problem' of human nature.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 12:54 AM   #10
Den.
That Canadian guy.

The ironic thing here in Ontario is the accident that "caused" us to get the graduated crap would never have been prevented!

I knew the kid (17 at the time) who was thrown out the back window and broke his back. (No belt and HE was sober yet his family was sueing the kid driving for $10 000 000!!! I asked him if he knew the kid driving was drunk when he got in the car. He said yes. I then asked him "well then HOW can you SUE him?? YOU got intot the car??" He just started muttering something about "When I get my $10 000 000......blah blah blah" Kid was on bloody welfare just waiting to win his case! My wife and I would buy them (he and his wife) baby food and diapers as they were 21 by now.

Anyways. Restrictions here? First year you pretty much can't drive as I understand it without a driver in the car.

After that stage the the legislators boast about:

NO driving on the 400 series highways. (Our 6 lane highways 100 km/h). Strangely where the LEAST accidents happen!! And the accident that caused this was on a sideroad!

0% alcohol and 0 tolerance. (Didn't know you were allowed to legally drink & drive anyways!!)

No driving at night. Huh? How the Hell do you learn to drive?

The accident in question was a bunch of kids left a party early evenig, most were drunk, and wiped out in the rain after topping a hill at over 160 km/h!

HOW THE HELL IS GRADUATED LICENCES SUPPOSED TO STOP THAT????

But I bet it kept some MP/legislator in a job for another year!