Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Manual or automatic?
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with manual gearboxes 435 68.08%
I own / drive / prefer vehicles with automatic transmissions 204 31.92%
Voters: 639. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #91
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Power steering involves the pedal on the right, and Aircon involves the right pedal too :P
Wanna turn tighter? More right pedal.
Not enough airflow? More right pedal.
Don't forget some strategic use of the left pedal to assist in power steering and turning tighter!

Quote:
Having spent yesterday driving a Rental BA auto with the stupid auto with tiptronic, i have to say its an extremely lame substitute for a manual... I'd actually prefer manually shifting a C4 over the tiptronic thing. The 1-2 second lag in the shift is pathetic.
Agreed....... again :hihi:
Old 01-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #92
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
And I clearly said, when it comes to road cars, I have no real preference. Whatever works well is what I'll buy. There's more to the driving experience (in my opinion) then pushing a pedal on the left and playing with a stick on the console....
This is based on your vast experience of flogging the econovan and Pintara up and down some great drivers roads......

If you are after a driving experience, the extra chassis attitude control that you get from a manual is the killer. There is just nothing like a rwd manual for that.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #93
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

I think its time for a padlock!

Its personal preference as the topic stated. There is nome need for the name calling or the posturing. The usual suspect/s always at the end of the same innane arguements!!! yawn.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #94
Gammaboy

Awwwwwwwwwwww!
Old 01-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #95
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
There's more to the driving experience (in my opinion) then pushing a pedal on the left and playing with a stick on the console....
Like? ( not having a go, just want to know cause I never have fun with an auto)
Old 01-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #96
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Awwwwwwwwwwww!
Whats the point of a battle of wits when the opposition is unarmed! It gets tiresome very quickly!!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #97
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Whats the point of a battle of wits when the opposition is unarmed! It gets tiresome very quickly!!
But without it the Forums would be so empty.....
Old 01-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #98
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

AUTO-MATIC. SELF OPERATING. WITHOUT HUMAN INTERVENTION....If gears are changed by human intervention its not automatic.EG Sequential gearboxes, Manualised auto's, DSG's etc etc..Do the big HP Dragsters change gears by themselves? could anyone imagine racing cars driven around a race track in AUTO MODE? PEERLEASE. give me a break,auto's are for lazy city drivers(brain on hold) as I said before ANYONE can drive an automatic..
Old 01-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #99
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb
AUTO-MATIC. SELF OPERATING. WITHOUT HUMAN INTERVENTION....If gears are changed by human intervention its not automatic.EG Sequential gearboxes, Manualised auto's, DSG's etc etc..Do the big HP Dragsters change gears by themselves? could anyone imagine racing cars driven around a race track in AUTO MODE? PEERLEASE. give me a break,auto's are for lazy city drivers(brain on hold) as I said before ANYONE can drive an automatic..
True

Everyone can drive a Auto even if they havent driven a car before,but it takes more skill to drive a manual and alot of people dont have that skill.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #100
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
What the hell does this have to do with V8 Supercars, purpose built, rule-governed race vehicles that have absolutley nothing in common with road cars except that they combust fuel, have a transmission, brakes and four-wheels? Oh, that's right, nothing!!!

I'm not picky when it comes to the trans because I don't care. Now, if I was building an application specific car (which would obviously involve big money) and it was for drag racing, for example, the car wouldn't be manual, it would most likely run a heavily modified C4/C6 or TH350/TH400. If I was building a circuit racer, I still wouldn't get a conventional manual... it would run something like a Hewland Sequential manual or Jerico 5-spd (which allows clutchless shift, but is still H-Pattern).

We're not talking about purpose built race cars, we're talking about road cars, and that's a completley different barrel of fish. If I was buying a BF, I wouldn't even look at a manual, I'd have the 6-speed auto in a heartbeat.

So keep your accusations of "dribbling crap" well and truley to yourself. Just because I don't share your preference of manual transmission in ROAD cars does not mean anything. Don't force your opinion on others.

And I clearly said, when it comes to road cars, I have no real preference. Whatever works well is what I'll buy. There's more to the driving experience (in my opinion) then pushing a pedal on the left and playing with a stick on the console....

Ok, lets rule out supercars, becuse you think its not a fair comparison.

Lets start with Targa Tasmania, wonder how many competitive cars run autos.......ZERO

Lets look at club cars.....auto's.....nil

What about high performance sports cars, dont know of an auto option on an Ariel Atom, Fazza F50 or Lambo.
Fact is, in all form of spirited driving, and I mean all, a manual is the prefered option in every case. You just cannot control an auto car like a manual, with the ability to load the chassis up upon entering and exiting the corner like you can with a manual.
I have no problems with autos, in fact I own 2 cars with autos and 2 with manuals, so its each way with me, but when it comes to sheer exhilleration on a drivers road, a manual has it hands down.

I urge you to get the keys to a V8 rear driven manual, and put it up a mountain pass, there really is no compromise....
Old 01-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #101
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Forced induction adds a whole new dimension. Take the foot off the accelerator to change gears... bugger, all that hard work pressurising the intake and manifold just to let it all rush out the BOV??

Im happy to let the hyrdaulics do their thing with the gear box whilst i keep the gas mashed firmly to the firewall and the air in my manifold compressed.

Upshift into peak hp? Check

Downshift when i need it? Check

Gear changes at full boost? Check

Stronger than the equivalent manual gearbox? Check (EF t5 take 600nm? Puh-lease)

No - it's not ideal. But rest assured it's just as exciting.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #102
gozza

anyone who says an auto is better should be asked first and foremost...have you ever driven a manual?
hell yeah autos have there advantages...traffic...if your tired etc etc..some people don't have a choice...like me lol...i can't afford a conversion and the car i got had everything i was after but the the manual....
regardless... my first car was a 5spd...my partner has a 5spd rx7 and its awesome to drive around corners...double clutchin etc etc..its so much fun
go the manual...so many pros....the only thing it hasn't got going for it is the only an auto has going for it
Old 01-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #103
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Ok, lets rule out supercars, becuse you think its not a fair comparison.

Lets start with Targa Tasmania, wonder how many competitive cars run autos.......ZERO

Lets look at club cars.....auto's.....nil

What about high performance sports cars, dont know of an auto option on an Ariel Atom, Fazza F50 or Lambo.
Fact is, in all form of spirited driving, and I mean all, a manual is the prefered option in every case. You just cannot control an auto car like a manual, with the ability to load the chassis up upon entering and exiting the corner like you can with a manual.
I have no problems with autos, in fact I own 2 cars with autos and 2 with manuals, so its each way with me, but when it comes to sheer exhilleration on a drivers road, a manual has it hands down.

I urge you to get the keys to a V8 rear driven manual, and put it up a mountain pass, there really is no compromise....
Again, cars for Targa are built to race Targa. But since you want to compare supercars, lets do that that...

Ferrari Enzo - 6-speed sequential clutchless gearbox, automatic or paddle shift modes.

Bugatti EB 16/4 Veyron - 7-speed dual-clutch DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox), either paddle shift, console shift (+/- like BA' SSS) or auto mode

Mercedes-McLaren SLR - 5-speed Automatic

BMW M5 - 7-speed SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) with either console shift (+/- mode), paddle shift or auto mode.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-DTM AMG - 5-speed Automatic

Ferrari F430 F1 - 6-speed sequential clutchless gearbox, automatic or paddle shift modes.

Lamborghini Gallardo E-Gear - 6-speed sequential clutchless gearbox, automatic or paddle shift modes.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR SuperSport - 6-speed sequential clutchless gearbox, automatid or paddle shift modes.

Porsche Dauer 962 LeMans - 5-speed sequential manual (clutch used only to shift into first or reverse, take off from standing start, shift action is like BA SSS, pull down to upshift, push up to downshift)

Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion - 6-speed sequential manual (same thing as on the 962 LeMans, but has an extra gear)

And I could keep going... are you seriously going to tell me none of these cars are exhilerating to drive because they don't use conventional manuals? Puh-lease.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 01-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #104
drphil

I hear they wanna put 6 speed sequential manuals in v8 supercars? anyone heard any thing about it? i read it from motor mag.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:57 PM   #105
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil
I hear they wanna put 6 speed sequential manuals in v8 supercars? anyone heard any thing about it? i read it from motor mag.
Apparantley they were considering it for 2006 or 2007. Don't know much more about it then that though, it was in with a bunch of other rule changes they were considering, like de-creased downforce and some such.

:
Old 01-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #106
347Stroker
Banned

All of the sequential manual gearboxes you speak of are still a manual gearbox, sequential is a reference to the shifter, and seeing you know so much steffo, you will also know that you can have a "clutchless" shift on even a top loader and bugger me, what about all the semi trailers that dont use a clutch other than taking off...you really are a master.

Steffo, I dont really care for what you say, you are just a baby boy, with baby ideas, and i will not be coming back to this thread, or read anything you post from here on.

Goodbye
Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #107
Duke of Windsor

If you look at the sales figures for Holden Barinas, you will see the majority of them are autos, so from this I deduct that only girls drive autos...

Old 01-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #108
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Windsor
If you look at the sales figures for Holden Barinas, you will see the majority of them are autos, so from this I deduct that only girls drive autos...
In his first post i think the resident goose finder, found a goose
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #109
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
All of the sequential manual gearboxes you speak of are still a manual gearbox, sequential is a reference to the shifter, and seeing you know so much steffo, you will also know that you can have a "clutchless" shift on even a top loader and bugger me, what about all the semi trailers that dont use a clutch other than taking off...you really are a master.

Steffo, I dont really care for what you say, you are just a baby boy, with baby ideas, and i will not be coming back to this thread, or read anything you post from here on.

Goodbye
All of those boxes? Do you have any idea how DSG works? It has two clutches and two planetary gearsets, it can select two gears simultaneously. It has two adajacent shafts, each with its own clutch, say its the 6spd version, gears 1, 3, 5 on one, and 2, 4, 6 on the other. During operation, two adjacent gears (say 2 and 3) are meshed and turning, but only one is transmitting power to the final drive, as each gearset has its own clutch. Basically, second gear is driving the car while third is preselected, whether in auto or manual mode, one clutch is instantly disengaged and the other takes the drive with the intervention of elctro-hydraulic control. That's the basics of it...

In my opinion, DSG > all those other trans those cars have, but the Ferrari/Maserati is impressive in the way it rev-matches downshifts on road-courses for optimum performance during cornering etc. The Porsche's are obviously hard-core race type cars with no automatic function, and they still have a clutch pedal.

You can say I have "baby ideas" all you want, but what you're saying, the way you're asserting conventional manual transmissions as the be-all-end-all in motor vehicles is nonsense.

PS - Two of those supercars use traditional conventional automatics, yet they're some of the fastest road cars ever produced. Gee, looks like Mercedes/McLaren didn't know they chose the wrong trans when they made the SLR, and AMG had no idea when they made the CLK-DTM (a car built to handle) :

:
Old 01-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #110
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

the topic was what do you drive/prefer?

I dont remember seeing anything requesting passionate and dubious oratory for transmissions various.

When you've done this one to death you can all argue that big cars are better than small cars! or which purple is the purplest.

Red walks of muttering "if brains were bombs, this lot couldn't..................................
Old 01-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #111
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Personal insults due to someones transmission preferance shows about as much intelligance as a caveman, girls/poofs drive autos ? honestly who cares, grow up.
btw 2 of my 3 cars are manual.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #112
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBroker
I started on manuals, and still prefer them, but I drive an auto just because they are more convenient in congested traffic.
I'am in there on that statement. Plus the wife can only drive autos so I have to compramise.

buickman
Old 01-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #113
FRDMSL
FRDMSL

Manual all the way!! autos are so boring and never seem to know what gear to be in, well the fmx in the XE anyway.. only other auto car ive driven is a ED wich was a little better. also i feel the manual keeps me much more alert. ive now swapped the fmx for a toploader, cant wait to go for a drive just waiting to get my engine back...
Old 01-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #114
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Drive a manual but it sucks balls in traffic.

I'd prob get an auto next time, however I'd miss changing gears.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #115
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ok lets put it this way...

when looking at carsales, unique cars etc etc. how many of us sigh when the muscle car/super car of our dreams is a bloody auto?

Oh thats a nice old porsche/ferrari, but wait no, its auto; better keep on looking. All that power, sound and feel wasted on laziness; its a crime I tells ya!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #116
Gammaboy

Quote:
All of those boxes? Do you have any idea how DSG works? It has two clutches and two planetary gearsets, it can select two gears simultaneously. It has two adajacent shafts, each with its own clutch, say its the 6spd version, gears 1, 3, 5 on one, and 2, 4, 6 on the other. During operation, two adjacent gears (say 2 and 3) are meshed and turning, but only one is transmitting power to the final drive, as each gearset has its own clutch. Basically, second gear is driving the car while third is preselected, whether in auto or manual mode, one clutch is instantly disengaged and the other takes the drive with the intervention of elctro-hydraulic control. That's the basics of it...

In my opinion, DSG > all those other trans those cars have, but the Ferrari/Maserati is impressive in the way it rev-matches downshifts on road-courses for optimum performance during cornering etc. The Porsche's are obviously hard-core race type cars with no automatic function, and they still have a clutch pedal.

You can say I have "baby ideas" all you want, but what you're saying, the way you're asserting conventional manual transmissions as the be-all-end-all in motor vehicles is nonsense.

PS - Two of those supercars use traditional conventional automatics, yet they're some of the fastest road cars ever produced. Gee, looks like Mercedes/McLaren didn't know they chose the wrong trans when they made the SLR, and AMG had no idea when they made the CLK-DTM (a car built to handle) :
But you missed the point that these "Autos" don't use a torque converter. hence, they are not really an Auto in the sense as driven by 99% of the forum members.
Have you driven a car with DSG? Me neither. but, to borrow a page from you, I have read about them, and the seem to have managed to make it feel clunky notchy. go figure. Yay for Volkswagen-Audi group, endlessly finding ways to make complex solutions for simple problems...
Old 01-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #117
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Hang on a minute, I cant believe no one has said this yet...

SCORE BOARD!!

Nuff said.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #118
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

I prefure an auto just for cruising, todays city roads is no place for a manual lol.

anyone who says you can select what gear you want in an auto obviously havent driven an auto properly, just by using the accelerator pedal, you can select any gear you want in any half decent auto.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #119
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
I prefure an auto just for cruising, todays city roads is no place for a manual lol.

anyone who says you can select what gear you want in an auto obviously havent driven an auto properly, just by using the accelerator pedal, you can select any gear you want in any half decent auto.
Problem is they'll select that gear even if you don't want it to....
Kickdown while accelerating out of a corner on a fine balance of traction is downright nasty....
Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #120
WASP
Whipple Induced

I love both so I haven't voted. Currents cars are both manual however and I haven't owned an auto for quite a few years now.
Closed Thread