Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #1141
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Giant is a very reputable brand. You should have no issue with it. A lot and I mean, a LOT of people ride Giants. What group set do you have?

All I can say, is ride it, get used to it, enjoy the bike and your fitness. Only after you have really ridden the bike for a good 6 months would you really know what the bike and you are capable of together.
It wasn't a budget bike as I paid about $1350 for it new in 2000 but it also isn't top of the range.

I just got into riding 6 weeks ago. Decades of lethargy means it will take a LONG time to get myself into shape. But it is SLOWLY improving.

My bike has the Shimano Deore drivetrain. Here are the specs on said model:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/290909/
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #1142
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Deore drivetrain is pretty decent in the MTB world. You shouldnt have any issues with that. I also have a Kona Dew Plus with Deore drivetrain and found it to be pretty good shifting.

I know what you mean by lethargy. I only got into riding about 2.5yrs ago. Weighing in at 92kg (5'6" tall) riddled with rheumatoid arthritis and with 75% lung function from a recent bout of pneumonia at the time, its taken me quite a while to even get where I am also. Down to about 77kg, and added a few kg of lean muscle in the legs. Have a massive amount more energy and feel great.

But keep at it. Cyclists are generally a pretty supportive bunch. You'll get great support all round if you are doing the best to look after your health.

If you have the time, there is a myriad of information for new and pro riders on this forum http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/index.php

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #1143
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Finally paid off my new bike:

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...er/charger-91/

Going for my first ride after lunch

I'm 125KG and 185cm tall, so looking forward to drop some weight

Gonna stick to the back streets/dirt roads, otherwise if my mates catch me I'll cop **** big time lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #1144
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

well done bloke. nothing wrong with enjoying riding your MTB.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #1145
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Finally paid off my new bike:

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...er/charger-91/

Going for my first ride after lunch

I'm 125KG and 185cm tall, so looking forward to drop some weight

Gonna stick to the back streets/dirt roads, otherwise if my mates catch me I'll cop **** big time lol.

Just remember to go really easy for the first few weeks - build up slowly and stop BEFORE you think you've had enough. You are much better off doing 2 short rides at the beginning rather that one longer one.

Good luck and enjoy!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #1146
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I went for a ride, I did about a 8km loop from home and half way to the next town, but with lots of rest stops and having to walk up most hills lol. I come across a few cars on the back streets, I got off my bike and waited for them to go past because I'm really wobbly and all over the joint.

You can really haul *** in top gear going down hills, I felt like I was doing 300km/h lol.

I locked out the shock 3/4 on the way home

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-11-2013 at 04:01 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #1147
prydey
Rob

everyone loves a good downhill, but to go downhill, generally you have to go uphill first. its like a reward for climbing. couple of hills around me i can do 80km/h just rolling. at those speeds, i take the whole lane, after all, i'm not holding up traffic and if its windy you can move around a fair bit.

when i first jumped back on a bike a bit over 12months ago, i mapped out about a 5km loop around my house, not real hilly but with a couple of slight inclines, and basically forced myself to do at least one circuit every day for a week, and then try to do a couple of laps the next week etc. i was blowing hard after 5km, and so many times wanted to give up, but i stuck at it and after a few weeks i'd lost a good 5 or 6kg. just over 12 months on, the bug has bitten well and truly, i've lost a touch over 10kg (probably lost more fat but gained muscle) and have done at least 4 100km+ rides now averaging 25km/h, and ridden over 4000km.

one thing that has really helped me, is hooking up with a local cycling group (a big thanks to blueoval for this). they have been great support and encouragement, and also motivates you to get out on the bike if you know there are others waiting for you. it also helps with gaining knowledge on techniques and just bikes in general.

stick at it and good luck with it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #1148
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I discovered something new with my bike after 13 years of owning it. The rear derailleur goes up gears one at a time but goes down two at a time. Doh!

As to my routine. I only started regular cycling in late September. First ride was about 6.5km and I was absolutely wrecked after it. I cycle every third day as rest is just as important as exercise. When starting it is important not to burn out by going too hard too soon. The rest days after the ride gives the body an opportunity to recover. I time every ride and aim to be no slower than the previous ride on the same circuit. Once I find I have cut about 5% of the time I increase the length of the next ride. Now my rides are approximately 17km long. No Tour de France beating performance but a noticeable improvement after only 7 weeks of regular cycling.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #1149
prydey
Rob

not sure about your gears though. mine changes one at a time, up or down.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #1150
prydey
Rob

a pic of my new wheels. campag zonda, equivalent of fulcrum racing 3's.

3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #1151
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I discovered something new with my bike after 13 years of owning it. The rear derailleur goes up gears one at a time but goes down two at a time. Doh!

As to my routine. I only started regular cycling in late September. First ride was about 6.5km and I was absolutely wrecked after it. I cycle every third day as rest is just as important as exercise. When starting it is important not to burn out by going too hard too soon. The rest days after the ride gives the body an opportunity to recover. I time every ride and aim to be no slower than the previous ride on the same circuit. Once I find I have cut about 5% of the time I increase the length of the next ride. Now my rides are approximately 17km long. No Tour de France beating performance but a noticeable improvement after only 7 weeks of regular cycling.
I forgot to mention where I live it is hilly. So it is more of a challenge than it appears. Going up the hills is a real struggle. Lowest gear and peddling quickly means a slow climb. I try to keep the speed the same during the climbs (have a Sigma BC 1009).

http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkt...punkt=features
Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #1152
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
not sure about your gears though. mine changes one at a time, up or down.

Not sure about all gear sets, but many shimano's will go down 1 gear at a time or push the lever harder and will go multiple gears at a time

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #1153
prydey
Rob

when/if you get in to it more, and your budget allows, i'd recommend getting yourself a garmin with heart rate monitor and cadence sensor. really helpful when it comes to pacing yourself, esp on long climbs.

also allows you to record your rides and upload the data to various websites (strava, mapmyride etc) and then you can analyse your workout a bit closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Not sure about all gear sets, but many shimano's will go down 1 gear at a time or push the lever harder and will go multiple gears at a time
yeah, if you push the lever in the full way, rather than just click it in, it will change up more than one gear.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #1154
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
a pic of my new wheels. campag zonda, equivalent of fulcrum racing 3's.
Geez Rob. You pay a gazillion dollars for a couple of wheels but use your phone to take pics instead of a proper camera !!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #1155
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Needs adjusting - no biggie.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #1156
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I also jammed up the chain somehow on the way back home down a hill, I think I did too many gear changes going up/down trying to figure it all out.

I managed to get it back on again with about 5 minutes of pulling on the chain and rolling the bike back lol.

Is there any little GPS thing you can get to trace your routes/distance etc?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #1157
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are plenty of them Damo.

If you are happy to spend the cash, I HIGHLY recommend the Garmin 500 (or 510 as it has been replaced with).

Get it with the heart rate and speed / cadence sensor and you have a really useful training tool. Plus you can upload to sites like Strava (once gain, great motivator and tracking tool).
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #1158
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

Is there any little GPS thing you can get to trace your routes/distance etc?
You can get several iPhone/android Apps. I use runtastic's road bike. But many also use strava.

If you're willing to spend a bit more cash you could get something like a garmin edge 510 or 810. I have a 510. Got the kit with heart rate monitor and speed/cadence for around $360. That uploads to the garmin connect site and provides you with a wealth of info about your ride.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #1159
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

After about 500km in the past five years or more so effectively nothing... I then last month broke out my 8 year old Avanti Kona for a Cycle Challenge and did 1000km in three weeks, longest rides were about 120km.

My legs hurt 24/7 for a couple of weeks solid. This is not the way to start out cycling, lol.

I just use the Strava app, reckon it is totally awesome, and for the most part free too and just used on your phone. I spent up and got the heart rate monitor thing that works with your phone and Strava but forget to use it half the time.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #1160
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

the problem with using your phone is the battery can go flat fairly quickly missing some of your ride and leaving you without any way of calling for assistance, but it is good for shorter rides and gives you an idea of using strava etc

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1161
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
......and did 1000km in three weeks, longest rides were about 120km.

My legs hurt 24/7 for a couple of weeks solid. This is not the way to start out cycling, lol.
This makes me feel better about my slowly but surely approach of cycling only every third day.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #1162
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

That is essentially what I switched to in the latter part of that month. Instead of 40-50km a day, I did 120km every three days, was much better way to go for someone who has legs that are not yet bicycle fit and muscles not really used to it as yet.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #1163
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

Quote:
My Giant roam has this. Shimano shifters i'm pretty sure. One lever has 2 click positions for changing down gears

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #1164
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Rob- well done on the bling wheels bloke. Looks sexy on the bike ;) Have you noticed any difference in riding them over the stockies?

Big Damo - well done for getting started mate. The key now is not to give up. Small but incremental steps my friend. Keep at it. Eventually you'll be smashing those little hills and wondering what the fuss was about.

As for cycling social media sites. Strava is the most popular and its free, and I agree with Mick (ratter) that its good for short rides but eventually you will want a Garmin 500 to upload longer rides when you are able to. Keep your phone handy with power left to make any emergency calls.

To anyone still new to cycling, be warned, it is addictive and you may just find yourself flogging off more cash towards your bike craft than your car.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #1165
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
To anyone still new to cycling, be warned, it is addictive and you may just find yourself flogging off more cash towards your bike craft than your car.
It is the endorphins released during cycling which are addictive.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #1166
prydey
Rob

and buying a bike is the cheap part....
Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #1167
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Rob- well done on the bling wheels bloke. Looks sexy on the bike ;) Have you noticed any difference in riding them over the stockies?
they roll much better.

first impressions were a bit weird. on the way to the ride on saturday, i actually stopped to check the brakes weren't rubbing, as it felt like something was dragging or binding. freewheel noise was near silent. by the end of the ride (103.5km for me) they felt much more free and the freewheel noise was much louder. according to one of the others, its normal for the freewheel noise to get much noisier after 100km or so, but not sure about the binding feeling.

my ave speed was over 25km/h for the first time on a long ride, although the whole group were quicker on saturday, and i felt better upon arriving back home. not sure how much of that i can credit to new wheels, or just the conditions on the day.

be easier to build a clearer picture once a few more rides are had.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #1168
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thats promising. I reckon you'll see results on strava over the coming weeks. Perhaps the freehub needs more time to roll a bit freer. Worst comes to worse, take them into Nathan at Tailwind for him to check out. Sometimes out of the box, wheels need truing and possible adjustment before use.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #1169
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
It is the endorphins released during cycling which are addictive.
I get the endorphins after my ride is finished. I just love being out in the sunshine and getting my exercise in at the same time.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1170
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Geez Rob. You pay a gazillion dollars for a couple of wheels but use your phone to take pics instead of a proper camera !!
just convenient. youngest had her 5th birthday party yesterday and the 'proper' camera had to be dug out of the back of a cupboard and the battery was flat