Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #1111
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 
Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

6'2" exactly... 188cm

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #1112
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Well, I kept going for a while then lapsed.

As of this friday I will (hopefully) have absolutely no excuses left to use!

Will have three weeks off until I start work assuming I pass all my exams.

Game On!

Will just need to keep myself away from MW3 & Forza 4.....
Right, so i've been avoiding the scales.

Anyway, yesterday did what the treadmill thought was 430 Cal. Didn't check distance etc.

Today
- 400Cal on treadmill (3.3km @ 5.5km/h & 5% grade)
- What an old exercise bike reckons is 200 Cal (4.13Miles @ ~19-20MPH)..

Tomorrow
- Will weight myself in the morning (no point putting it off)
- repeat what I did today, except i'll do it once in the morning and again tomorrow arvo or night.
- Plug in kinnect and have a go at Biggest loser 'game', havent been on it since my old 360 blew up.

Short Term Goal: 100kg
Medium Term Goal: 90kg
Final Goal: 75kg

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #1113
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Right, so i've been avoiding the scales.

Anyway, yesterday did what the treadmill thought was 430 Cal. Didn't check distance etc.

Today
- 400Cal on treadmill (3.3km @ 5.5km/h & 5% grade)
- What an old exercise bike reckons is 200 Cal (4.13Miles @ ~19-20MPH)..

Tomorrow
- Will weight myself in the morning (no point putting it off)
- repeat what I did today, except i'll do it once in the morning and again tomorrow arvo or night.
- Plug in kinnect and have a go at Biggest loser 'game', havent been on it since my old 360 blew up.

Short Term Goal: 100kg
Medium Term Goal: 90kg
Final Goal: 75kg

Try using a cross trainer. They work you even more than the treadmill if you have it on a decent level and maintain a good speed.

I planned on using the cross trainer and going for about an hour but that was short lived. What I do now is to use the cross trainer for approx 30-32 minutes it takes and it burns 500 calories.

After that I jump on the treadmill and go on a slow incline of .5% per 30 seconds all the way up to the treadmills max of 15% incline at 6.2kph. My quirky habit here then is to get to the 15% incline, find a decent length song (6-7 minutes) on my ipod and play it, up the speed to 6.5kph and push it out. Drop back to 10% after that for a few minutes, get your breath then go back to 15% again for another song and then I'm done. You'll find here you've gone through a further 500 calories and the best part is during the 0-10% incline you're having a bit of rest after smashing the x-trainer. You'll be surprised at the amount of calories you burn at 15% incline at 6+kph!

I'm sure we all have our quirky things to do, but I enjoy this as it guarantees me leaving the gym having burnt 1000cal.
Old 20-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #1114
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How's everyone going balancing their weight loss goals and exercise regime with the amount of Christmas cheer happening?

I only did 2 gym visits last week and will likely do no more now until after Christmas Day due to the number of lunches and after work drinks happening throughout this week.

Seems every day since around the 9th has been one of alcohol consumption, eating out and reduced exercise. I expect to have gained around 2kg throughout December.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #1115
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
How's everyone going balancing their weight loss goals and exercise regime with the amount of Christmas cheer happening?

I only did 2 gym visits last week and will likely do no more now until after Christmas Day due to the number of lunches and after work drinks happening throughout this week.

Seems every day since around the 9th has been one of alcohol consumption, eating out and reduced exercise. I expect to have gained around 2kg throughout December.
That's why gym's/personal trainer's love this time of yr or more so January, as everyones new yr's res is to get in shape and healthy, 80% probably sign up but within the 1'st few month's they go back to their old way's as it's to hard.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #1116
Poetic Justice

It's just about smarter choices GT0132. Eating the grilled chicken instead of the parma and like, but I'm sure you know that.

Alcohol, however, is a choice. One you don't need to make if you're that serious about the the health/weight loss side of things.

It's a choice I struggle to make. At 26yo and single, if I stopped drinking and enoying my life I'd end up a serious loner.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #1117
EFFalcon
Last warning

is it really that hard to enjoy a day/night out without drinking?

you can have a social life and not drink, i did :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #1118
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
That's why gym's/personal trainer's love this time of yr or more so January, as everyones new yr's res is to get in shape and healthy, 80% probably sign up but within the 1'st few month's they go back to their old way's as it's to hard.
those on commission love it

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #1119
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon

you can, but its much more fun if you do

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 20-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #1120
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon

no it's not. i stopped regular drinking a long time ago, when i realised acting like a raving lunatic came naturally.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #1121
Poetic Justice

Agree to disagree. Plenty of people have that you don't need to drink to have fun crap, that's fine if it's your choice.

Mine, however, is that to enjoy a social situation alcohol is of benefit.

I appreciate the health/fitness side of not drinking, but whilst I want to achieve my goals I also don't want to become someone I don't enjoy being.
Old 20-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #1122
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I havent weighed myself yet. But I know I am stable. Haven't been pushing too hard to lose more weight. But I also havent put any on. Just been keeping up with my weekly bike rides. Doing between 20-50km rides of a mixture of hills and flat. Seems to be keeping my weight stable. Also keeping meals balanced. Keep junk food away, no alcohol, (i rarely drink anyway), no take out (kfc, maccas etc), dont drink fizzy soft drinks either, other than that, water, or coffee. My weight has remained stable, and my muscle mass has increased.

I gotta do more upper body exercises. Since being on the bike more I have neglected the upper body, so will start doing some light weight work. Nothing strenuous. Probably stick with 5-10kg bells and keep a bit of muscle up top so I can keep some strength.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #1123
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I havent weighed myself yet. But I know I am stable. Haven't been pushing too hard to lose more weight. But I also havent put any on. Just been keeping up with my weekly bike rides. Doing between 20-50km rides of a mixture of hills and flat. Seems to be keeping my weight stable. Also keeping meals balanced. Keep junk food away, no alcohol, (i rarely drink anyway), no take out (kfc, maccas etc), dont drink fizzy soft drinks either, other than that, water, or coffee. My weight has remained stable, and my muscle mass has increased.

I gotta do more upper body exercises. Since being on the bike more I have neglected the upper body, so will start doing some light weight work. Nothing strenuous. Probably stick with 5-10kg bells and keep a bit of muscle up top so I can keep some strength.
upper body strength? you can still use the bike, just stand upside down and pedal with your arms..

you can have junk food, it's a good way to keep your body well versed. Just go for better options. There are lean burgers at maccas (seared chicken, fillet o fish isn't bad either, and the seared chicken wrap), just don't get chips. Subway, just get something with the roast chicken, and a low fat sauce like honey mustard, sweet chilli, or marinara) as they have huge amount less fat than mayo, southwest, or any of the other populars. Grill'd has some half decent options for a dinner burger. Again, no chips. Nando's does a few healthy options. And with chinese, stick to steamed options like steamed dim sims, dumplings and maybe a soup. Kebabs can be good too without sauce.

Foods you can not have are generally most take-away pasta, pizza, and fish n chips.

You'd also be surprised how beneficial simple fast-paced hilly walking can be, which is far less strenuous than the bike. Change your exercises up, don't just assume that something more intense like bike riding will be 'the one' to make you lose weight, as sometimes a less taxing workout can work better. Sounds stupid but i've seen it many times.
Old 20-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #1124
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks for the tips. The thing is I love riding my bike. It's my thing and I never tire of it. It's become part of my lifestyle now so I cannot think of replacing my bike with any other form of exercise and/or past time. The fact that I have built muscle in my legs and increased my cardiovascular system a heap has just been a bonus. It's not strenuous for me at all, not like it was when I first hopped on a bike. I enjoy it immensely and am always challenging myself in different ways on the bike.

As for food, I haven't cut out chocolate or some occasional savory snacks I love totally. I just regulate it and eat them with moderation. Again, its more a lifestyle choice rather than starving myself of naughty foods. I haven't looked back doing it this way. If I want it, I will eat it, but sometimes I choose not to and it doesn't affect me if I dont want it.

My mrs makes some very good healthy home made meals every day so I am used to getting a nice serve of healthy options at home. The only time I eat out is some weekends at a nice restaurant or when friends come over. Other than that I have been content with the way I have conducted this regime. It works for me.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #1125
Poetic Justice

See, the chosing of the healthier options when going to McDonalds for instance is what I can't really grasp.

As the facebook group details; "Going to Maccas for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug".

Think about it.

If I want maccas, I want the greasy ****, not the healthier option otherwise I'd just stay at home and eat at home, haha!

It's about moderation. The mens health abs diet (forget the word abs) says you should always allow yourself a cheat meal when you're in the weight loss phase. One meal a week you're allowed to just lose your **** and eat whatever you please. Once you hit your goals, it then suggests to have a cheat day.
Old 20-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #1126
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
See, the chosing of the healthier options when going to McDonalds for instance is what I can't really grasp.

As the facebook group details; "Going to Maccas for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug".

Think about it.

If I want maccas, I want the greasy ****, not the healthier option otherwise I'd just stay at home and eat at home, haha!

It's about moderation. The mens health abs diet (forget the word abs) says you should always allow yourself a cheat meal when you're in the weight loss phase. One meal a week you're allowed to just lose your **** and eat whatever you please. Once you hit your goals, it then suggests to have a cheat day.
I agree on the reward/cheat meal. It just helps you cope with the hungrys and cravings for bad stuff. It's when you cheat too often that is a no no.

Don't get me wrong I go to maccas, but its rarely for the food. I go for a coffee mainly. I dont like whats on the maccas menu's. For me I am picky and I dont find their menu's appealing.

With my reward meals I usually go to a nice restaurant and order a steak with all the trimmings or a schnity, or perhaps the mrs makes a killer dessert.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #1127
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:

Think about it.

i have thought about it, and i disagree. I used to have that same opinion also, big time. That was before i set my mind to it 100%. A cheat meal for me is still the illusion of eating badly, but just picking a better option. I know full well that when i'm at my goal weight i will start eating the worse options again once a week, so it's not really that much of a sacrifice.

It's all mindset, nothing else. Do i want to eat roast/seared/whatever options and no chips? No way, not at all. But i know that this way i will get to my goal in the timeframe i set in my mind, and be able to go back to that junky food in moderation a lot quicker in the long run.

Everyone is different, not many people will agree with each other, because everyone's genetic makeup is different, and there is no set way for one person to lose weight at the same rate as the next man.
Old 20-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #1128
Poetic Justice

I guess what it is for me though, if I want to eat the healthier option my mind is trained to simply not go to McDonalds at all. Instead it would be a healthier option, regardless of what Maccas say about their stuff etc.
Old 20-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #1129
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
I guess what it is for me though, if I want to eat the healthier option my mind is trained to simply not go to McDonalds at all. Instead it would be a healthier option, regardless of what Maccas say about their stuff etc.
well put it this way, i can make a couple of small wraps, in tortillas with lean beef, plain yoghurt, avocado, tomato at home which come out at not far from 30g of fat. Or i could have a seared chicken burger from maccas which is around 12-15g.

Have a hunt around for fat and Kj levels of some fast food. While it's not great it's certainly a lot better than is used to be.

But yeh whatever works for you
Old 20-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #1130
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I agree with you too Farnsey. It's a matter of choosing the path that works for you. There are a lot of great routines, tips and tricks posted in this thread that I have taken into consideration, used and modified to suit my style. Some things I have tried and I didnt like, others I haven't bothered with because I know I dont have the exact same goals as others.

Some here have bigger weaknesses than others, and if I or anyone else for that matter found it harder to resist a cheat meal, and chose to ignore that style of eating, then there is nothing wrong with that. Again, different horses....

I think the main goal, is doing something active....and then using this thread a support base for additional tips and advice for better efficiency etc. It's up to the person to take it on board, use it, modify it, or simply ignore it altogether and do something else.

All good discussion I must admit.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #1131
Poetic Justice

Does it simply come down to just the fat content?

What about the other parts, carbs, sodium, salt, sugar, all that sorta stuff that might be hidden in there?
Old 20-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #1132
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I had KFC yesterday. Instant regret. It was even one of their ‘decent’ ‘chef’ burgers.

If the fast food like that was actually good and not just grease filled crap I’d be more inclined to eat it.

Hell, I bet my regular foot long subway has probably bucket loads more calories, etc than food from KFC etc…But I eat it because it doesn’t make me feel gross.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #1133
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does it simply come down to just the fat content?

What about the other parts, carbs, sodium, salt, sugar, all that sorta stuff that might be hidden in there?
depends on the amount of exercise that you do. If you are at least exercising say 3 times per week, a little fat is actually recommended, but dont go full hog. Look at reducing complex carbs (white potatos, white breads etc) and increase fibres inc. fruits and greens, and lean meats inc. grilled chicken, poached or steamed fish.

Current
Previous

Old 20-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1134
Poetic Justice

My question was more pointed at the maccas seared chicken wrap versus the home made beef pita.

Otherwise; I exercise 6 days a week. Two PT sessions which involve weight training and the rest cardio.
Old 20-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #1135
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

when i started serious training about 2 years a go i cut out all take away, now i can not stand the sight or smell of maccas KFC etc. I can however stomach subway- but thats about it.
Old 20-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #1136
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

it's all relative, yes calories are important, but energy and fat is what my diet is mainly based around. So, sugars, carbs, or anything that can turn into carbs. I haven't had any potato in two months, and i only eat wholemeal bread.

and yes i also keep my sodium levels low for reducing dehydration, and blood pressure issues.
Old 20-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #1137
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Hell, I bet my regular foot long subway has probably bucket loads more calories, etc than food from KFC etc…But I eat it because it doesn’t make me feel gross.
depends on the meat and sauce you choose. But yes it can work out worse than a double quarter pounder if you choose badly
Old 20-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #1138
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
when i started serious training about 2 years a go i cut out all take away, now i can not stand the sight or smell of maccas KFC etc. I can however stomach subway- but thats about it.
This is me totally. I used to get KFC weekly, eat a 3 piece feed without hesitation, but since biking and feeling leaner, I just don't find their food enticing anymore. The smell of it is nice, but I no longer get cravings for it. Go figure.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #1139
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

a lot of that is the addiction to the flavour enhancers and whatnot. Once you break the cycle, the wanting goes away
Old 20-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #1140
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
a lot of that is the addiction to the flavour enhancers and whatnot. Once you break the cycle, the wanting goes away
Yes, your right mate. Just goes to show the power of those chemicals. They had me hooked for years.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont