Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 08:47 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Yes, aware its a Laura Tingle article....but oh my word. I always thought it was rather odd Pfizer would issue an immediate statement to clarify the words of the PM.

Senior business figures turned to former PM Kevin Rudd to intervene in bringing forward Australia's Pfizer vaccine supply
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...xecs/100284902

Quote:
As a result, one very senior Australian businessman — whose identity is known to the ABC but who wishes to remain anonymous — held two meetings with senior Pfizer executives in late June, only to be rebuffed.

Senior Pfizer executives told the businessman that if Australia was to make a more serious effort, after its treatment at the hands of relatively junior bureaucrats, it would have to come from much higher up, expressing their astonishment that Prime Minister Scott Morrison had not directly spoken to the Pfizer chairman and chief executive Albert Bourla, as former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had done on multiple occasions.

The executives suggested that, in the absence of Mr Morrison, former Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd — who was known to them because of his work in the United States as head of the New York-based Asia Society — may have some influence.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:48 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Yes, aware its a Laura Tingle article....but oh my word. I always thought it was rather odd Pfizer would issue an immediate statement to clarify the words of the PM.

Senior business figures turned to former PM Kevin Rudd to intervene in bringing forward Australia's Pfizer vaccine supply
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...xecs/100284902
Unbelievable! What a scoop; what a schmoozer!
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 10th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

64 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.934%.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.940% and active cases 32.

The UK had a lower 31,800 cases yesterday and higher 35 deaths for a CMR of 2.523%.

A higher 27,808 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 374 deaths sees CMR at 1.794%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 187M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Brazil passes 19M cases;

South Korea (1,378);
Vietnam (1,853);
Kazakhstan (3,130);
Myanmar (4,377) - the 7th consecutive day;
Cuba (6,750);
Thailand (9,326); and
Malaysia
(9,353);

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

The Netherlands move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Ya missed one - Undercarriage of passenger jet India to Australia 24 hrs?
Dormant in severe cold at 37,000 feet, active on landing Australia.
Just a thought, just a thought!

Cheers King Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane
Not sure if serious
Unfortunately, yeah, I think he is serious.

Here's a scenario using your face mask.

You go to the shops and grab your face mask, the one that you have been using all day. So when you touch it the germs transfer from your mask to your hands.

Then you walk into the shops without hand sanitising and touch a heap of things.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your every day mask that you get from the shop, their primary goal is to reduce viral load. Someone coughs or sneezes, would you rather that person have a mask on or not? Infections through touching goods has not yet proven to be a primary source of spread I don't think? Masks + social distancing + limited movement will beat exponential growth of infections.

‘We know what Sydney’s going through’: Victoria offers COVID experts, support as NSW outbreak worsens]
https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...11-p588mj.html

Quote:
“I’ve offered [NSW Premier] Gladys [Berejiklian] and her team any support, any learnings, any understanding, any data, any people that they need,” Mr Andrews said on Sunday afternoon after NSW reported the death of a woman in her 90s and 77 new local coronavirus cases.

“Some things can be done well, from a long way away. Some things are much better to be on the ground and have that local knowledge. But we have made those offers, and we stand ready to support our NSW friends any way that we possibly can. If there’s a problem in Sydney, there’s a problem everywhere.

“We know what Sydney is going through. Second waves are very, very challenging.”

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

3 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

We are at 11% full vaccination now...

Get my second jab next week. Looking forward to it.

Now that holidays are over and I'm back to 3 shifts a week in the CBD I feel I will be knowing my local Covid testing place workers by first name soon enough.

How soon after exposure does it show in your system? Trying to work out my testing schedule..

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 12-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

What are your building’s rules for incoming casual trades and Covid testing? Aside from the mandated Covid-Safe stuff, I mean; do you ask if they’ve been tested recently or anything?

Interested because I’ve got to bring in a random for wall sawing and chasing. Would prefer to find a balance between protection and courtesy.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What are your building’s rules for incoming casual trades and Covid testing? Aside from the mandated Covid-Safe stuff, I mean; do you ask if they’ve been tested recently or anything?

Interested because I’ve got to bring in a random for wall sawing and chasing. Would prefer to find a balance between protection and courtesy.
Just looked at the most recent staff updates:

* Face masks required in all common areas - staff and residents.
* All recreational facilities closed.
* Only essential tradespeople allowed on site arranged through Strata or Building Management. Must sign in with QR code.
* Cleaning of all high contact surfaces in common areas every 2 hours.

Nothing on visitors or food deliveries (and we get hundreds of both a day).

Nothing mentioned regarding proof of testing.

Back to work tomorrow, I will probably get filled in before my shift.

I assume that cleaning will probably be changed to hourly and we will try our best to restrict visitors / food deliveries from getting past the lobby area.

Now we will have compulsory check in for staff as well.

We will probably set the main entry doors to swipe access only so that only residents can get into the building.

See what happens.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 13-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #9
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:

Thought this summary of the updated requirements might be useful for you Sydneysiders:

COVID-19 tests for people in Greater Sydney and Fairfield
We're getting a few questions about this announcement, so here's what we know:

First and foremost, these rules apply to people who live in Greater Sydney (including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour local government areas) and Fairfield local government area and travel outside the area to work.

From 12:01am on Wednesday 14 July 2021, you may need to get a COVID-19 test if you are leaving your home to go to work.

However, you do not need to get the results of your COVID-19 test before going to or staying at work.

Fairfield:
If you live in or are staying in the Fairfield local government area but you work outside this area, you must have a COVID-19 test once every 72 hours (3 days) in order to be allowed to enter a workplace.

Unsure about the boundaries? NSW Health has put together a map and list of suburbs (you can find that right here).

You do not have to get a COVID-19 test before working outside the Fairfield local government area if:

you are working at residential premises (someone's home)
you live outside the Fairfield local government area.

Greater Sydney:
If you live in or are staying in Greater Sydney including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour, you must have a COVID-19 test in the 7 days before working if your workplace is 50km or more outside Greater Sydney.

You can find the 50km zone map right here.

How is it enforced?
You must have proof of your COVID-19 test such as an SMS text message on your phone or an email addressed to you.

You must show the proof of your test when asked

at your workplace by your manager (occupier) or
to a police officer.
You do not need to get the results of your COVID-19 test before going to or staying at work.

What workplaces does this apply to?
You must follow the requirements if you are the occupier of a premises that is

not a place of residence
located outside the Fairfield local government area.
You must not allow a person to work at your premises unless that person has had a COVID-19 test in the past 72 hours.

You are allowed to ask a person who is at your premises to show you proof that they have had a COVID-19 test in the past 72 hours.

This applies to all people, including employees, contractors and other service providers who

work at your premises and
live in the Fairfield local government area.

You can read more here.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Cheers. I’m personally uncomfortable about the “ghettoisation” of an area because of historical precedent, but it’s good to know the state of play.
Old 13-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #11
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Cheers. I’m personally uncomfortable about the “ghettoisation” of an area because of historical precedent, but it’s good to know the state of play.
well they can only blame themselves CB......
Glad I live and work way over north as long as the stray zombie doesn't frequent my parts but they've done enough damage in the western regions.
Hopefully more and more comply with staying within their 10k circle barring work and do the right thing.

We clamped down on delivery drivers weeks agoto our business, under no circumstances can they enter barring the pick up drop zone.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 14-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Well said, and point taken with me!...

Cheers Billy.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Presently it is compulsory for us expats to have Covid insurance here (Roughly $2000 for us 2 per year)
No more if vaccinated… https://ticotimes.net/2021/07/09/cos...ated-travelers
The catch for us is we don’t hold Costa Rican residency, so are ineligible for the jab (even if we offer to pay for it!)
An option might be a quick trip to Florida where jab is available to anyone, plus choice of vaccine… Johnson & Johnson being a single jab, so done and dusted with a 2 day trip…
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
5 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #14
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 11th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

85 new cases for Australia and 1 death so the CMR is 2.929%. That's the first fatality in 87 days and only the second this calendar year.

2 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.940% and active cases 34.

The UK had a lower 31,352 cases yesterday and lower 26 deaths for a CMR of 2.508%.

A lower 14,335 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 115 deaths sees CMR at 1.794%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
North America passes 41M cases;
South America passes 34M cases;
Africa passes 6M cases;

Senegal (529) - the previous high on 23/7/20;
Vietnam
(1,983);
Kazakhstan
(3,695);
Cuba (6,923) - the 6th consecutive day;
Thailand (9,539) - the 6th consecutive day; and
Bangladesh (11,874)

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 12-07-2021 at 03:23 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I'm with you tweeked,
I've been able to forward my 2nd shot by 2wks, Aug 11 now.
Hoping many more think the same in Sydney.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #16
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4th "incursion" detected in Vic. Family who migrated from Syd to Melb flew in on 6th July, tested negative 8th July, but are now positive. Commander Weimar not worried about the flight as they are not believed to have been infectious during the flight, and all passengers on the flights had a red zone permit so should be have been in self quarantine.

Meanwhile, they haven't released the exposure sites for the sydney removalists yet because their stories aren't "matching up" . Apparently have to check with employer who is checking fuel card records etc.

Buckle up Victoria!

Oh, and apparently Vic Gov asked for ADF assitance to man the borders, but was yet again denied.

Rides (past and present)

Old 12-07-2021, 05:39 PM   #17
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for a bit of entertainment. Would be good to hear from the faceless "business leaders" at some stage just to add to the drama. Noticed that the claim is KRudd spoke with the global head of Pfizer, whereas this rebuttal statement has come from Pfizer Australia. KRudd himself has been noticeable silent on the matter. Malcolm Turnbull came out this morning thanking KRudd

Pfizer denies Kevin Rudd helped Australia gain earlier access to COVID-19 vaccines
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...alia/100286370

Quote:
"Recent media reports suggesting that any third party or individual has had any role in contractual agreements reached between Pfizer and the Australian government are inaccurate," a Pfizer spokesperson said.

Rides (past and present)

Old 12-07-2021, 06:28 PM   #18
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Just for a bit of entertainment. Would be good to hear from the faceless "business leaders" at some stage just to add to the drama. Noticed that the claim is KRudd spoke with the global head of Pfizer, whereas this rebuttal statement has come from Pfizer Australia. KRudd himself has been noticeable silent on the matter. Malcolm Turnbull came out this morning thanking KRudd

Pfizer denies Kevin Rudd helped Australia gain earlier access to COVID-19 vaccines
Yeah that sounds like a circus. Nothing like the Bitter Odd Couple of Australian politics trying to get back into the limelight!

Old 12-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Yeah that sounds like a circus. Nothing like the Bitter Odd Couple of Australian politics trying to get back into the limelight!
I think "Heckle and Jeckle " is more appropriate

Cheers Sir William
Old 12-07-2021, 09:17 PM   #20
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Rudd never sad he gained anything, simply that he asked..what an ABC beatup.

I would be too embarassed to quote anything from the oestrogen overload news channel.

Seriously they hate all male politicians there, don't trust any "news" there unless you want womens football or aboriginal highlights on something or another.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 12-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #21
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:

Oh, and apparently Vic Gov asked for ADF assitance to man the borders, but was yet again denied.
i wouldn,t call that a correct factual statement.
dan andrews (the dirty grub) argued the exact same thing in court, who do you believe.
i know who to believe, but you seem to be the expert.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #22
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i wouldn,t call that a correct factual statement.
dan andrews (the dirty grub) argued the exact same thing in court, who do you believe.
i know who to believe, but you seem to be the expert.
https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...c2f21aa45f0532

Until its refuted....it is what it is.

Rides (past and present)

Last edited by russellw; 13-07-2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Keep up with the insults of other members and see what happens.
Old 13-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #23
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

But it’s not a race?
https://amp.ft.com/content/1466396e-...9-2e1654b40c36
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #24
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

https://amp.ft.com/content/1466396e-...9-2e1654b40c36
Old 13-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s throwing up a paywall, both times. What was the nitty-gritty of the article?
Old 13-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #26
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
It’s throwing up a paywall, both times. What was the nitty-gritty of the article?
I think this might be it.....

https://www.ft.com/content/1466396e-...9-2e1654b40c36

Fatal flaws in Australia’s hermit nation strategy

Canberra squandered its early Covid victory with a glacial vaccine rollout

Quote:
One day a rooster, the next a feather duster. That terse reminder that success can be fleeting has long been popular in Australia. For the leaders of the country’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, it has become regrettably apt.

Until now, Australia has enjoyed a glow of global approval for adroitly weathering the crisis with a “Covid-zero” policy of ruthless virus suppression.*Having rushed to shut its international borders to non-citizens and non-residents last year, a measure that could stay in place until mid-2022, it deployed an enviable test and tracing system that has helped to keep its total Covid-19 death toll at 910. That is fewer than countries such as the UK have at times recorded in one day. Yet while Australia’s stadiums and restaurants stayed full, and theatregoers thronged to Hamilton, the UK was doing one thing Canberra was too slow to organise: a successful Covid vaccine rollout.

“It’s not a race,” prime minister Scott Morrison insisted in March, as concerns grew about what critics have called a vaccine “strollout”. He was wrong. Having squandered its early victory over the virus, despite being one of the world’s wealthiest countries, Australia now faces a costly round of restrictions as it struggles to protect a largely unimmunised population from outbreaks of the highly contagious Delta variant. Sydney, home to a fifth of the nation’s 25m people, is entering its third week of a lockdown due to stay in place until July 16. Australia now stands as a warning to other nations, not least neighbouring New Zealand, that a fortress approach to the virus cannot succeed in the absence of an effective vaccine programme.

The contrast with Canberra’s newly minted trading partners in the UK could scarcely be more stark. With roughly 50 per cent of Britons fully vaccinated, Boris Johnson, UK prime minister, unveiled plans last week to lift almost all coronavirus restrictions from July 19 in England. Shortly before that in Australia, where just 8 per cent are fully jabbed, Morrison announced the number of people allowed into the country from abroad would be halved to just 3,035 a week.

Johnson’s move was hasty. But Morrison’s approach also has a high price. Estimates of the financial and economic cost vary but the human toll has also been considerable. Thousands of Australians have been stranded abroad since the pandemic began, unable to secure scarce, expensive seats on commercial flights that were limited even before the latest caps were announced. More government repatriation flights are planned to ease the impact of the latest arrival limits. But this will not help those affected by Australia’s highly unusual decision to restrict its own citizens from leaving the country, a step designed to relieve pressure from returning travellers on its quarantine system. That system itself is another sign of complacency. Canberra only belatedly backed the construction of safer, purpose-built quarantine facilities, long after it was clear the virus had spread in hotels converted to house returned travellers.

Australia’s approach has been domestically popular until now. Polls show some three-quarters of the population have backed the border closures. Yet as a panel of experts wrote in a recent report on how the country could reopen, “Australia cannot continue to lock itself off from the world as a hermit nation indefinitely.” The social and economic costs are too large, especially for younger people. The wider lesson for a world facing ever more virus variants, is that glacial vaccine rollouts spell disaster, no matter how rich or hermetically sealed a country may be.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 13-07-2021 at 11:50 AM.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #27
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hehe, Charlie hasn't learnt the art of the quote yet. I think its something about our hermit strategy coming back and fail us.

Meanwhile...

Sydney man gets four covid vaccinations of AstraZeneca and Pfizer
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...8da221eca4bc59

Quote:
Mr Lee’s “antibody maxxing”, as he calls it, comes as studies continue to show vaccine mixing could be beneficial for immunity against coronavirus.

A medical study, conducted by the University of Oxford in the UK, found an AstraZeneca shot followed by a Pfizer jab was almost as potent as two Pfizer vaccines.

Rides (past and present)

4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #28
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Geez i like reading all posts including links, but the above link wanted to charge me!..lol

Cheers Billy!
Old 13-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #29
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 12th 2021.

Note

116 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 2.918%.

1 new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.938% and active cases 33.

The UK had a higher 33,948 cases yesterday and lower 6 deaths for a CMR of 2.491%.

A higher 24,228 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 73 deaths sees CMR at 1.792%.

Other notable points:

Global deaths pass 4.05M, the last 50k in 7 days;
Global cases pass 188M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 49M cases;

British Virgin Islands (326);
Fiji (873);
Vietnam (2,383);
Libya (2,679);
Kazakhstan (3,899);
Myanmar (5,014);
Bangladesh (13,768); and
Indonesia (40,427)

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day. Myanmar only missed out by Sunday for a week of consecutive highs.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Dominican Republic drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #30
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Heariung the testing ques are long in south western Sydney.
Not unexpected and glad its occuring, every 3days.
Closed Thread