Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #61
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

hey are there any photoraphs of the new magna...
i almost sold my au to buy a VRX. the model before te new one.. then i ALMOST bought the new model VRX... but then i heard another one was coming out... hmmm...
i like my AU though! :
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #62
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
hey are there any photoraphs of the new magna...
i almost sold my au to buy a VRX. the model before te new one.. then i ALMOST bought the new model VRX... but then i heard another one was coming out... hmmm...
i like my AU though! :
Pretty much the Galant... [EDIT - I think]

http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/gala...e_gallery.html (but i think you will find noticable changes to our model)

i think if you're just after a V6 car (which a lot of us are - esspecially if we're reps) then the Galant might be worth a look

Last edited by Deadman; 05-07-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #63
rick69
Banned

I think it was a good decision to discontinue the Magna nameplate. When I hear the name Magna I automatically associate it with the ugly wedge shape, clapped out smoke billowing TN/TP models of the 80's.
However I don't think '380' was a very wise choice, I would prefer a name than a number. And as someone else said, what if the engine capacity changes in the future?.........
rick69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #64
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
what if the engine capacity changes in the future?.........
let's hope this car is sucessful enough it keeps mitsubishi in australia...

then i think they can worry about their engine capacity in the future models :p

they need this model to stand out - naming it the 380 has already done that... and we don't even have pics or specs yet :evil_laug
Old 05-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What were they thinking, 380 sounds crap. It has no soul.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #66
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Good luck to Mitsubishi with the 380, i hope for thier sake it's rear and or all wheel drive, another front wheel drive will simply not compete with the Ford and Holden 6's.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #67
rick69
Banned

It is already confirmed that it is front wheel drive.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #68
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Ford Falcon XR6 is right. There was a Magna model which beat xr6's etc down the quarter. I'm suprised Steffo doesn't know this, being the Motor quarter mile figures encyclopaedia.

I had read somewhere output of the new magna was around or up to 190+kw but there may be some variation depending on the models released.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 08:00 PM   #69
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
What were they thinking, 380 sounds crap. It has no soul.
Its meant to sound more european eg bmw/merc.

After the disaster Magna was recentl, its probably a good idea.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #70
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6

Mitsubishi = reliability... if there's one thing they are - it's reliabale
My old sigma's would disagree, and all of the 80's magna's i was looking at about 18 months ago
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #71
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For as long as they stay 6cyl FWD, I wouldn't buy one. Give me a rwd car any day. FWD is for shopping trollies.

I drive Commodore/Magna/Falcon/Ford Transit/Toyota Camry and Hiace/Volkswagon.

If the Magna is anything to go by? They'll go pretty well but servicing will be like shooting yourself in the foot. Try changing the 2 rear plugs in a mitsu 6. BS that is. that!

Another ter that Ford made was the Transit. The push button auto's are piles of crap. If I went for a license and changed gears like that. I'd fail my license test.

Camry seats are uncomfortable I find. I'm a tad too wide for them so they hurt my back. Thats pretty ordinary since I'm only 72kgs and about 5 foot 6".

Best part about working for the state govt is I get to drive all the new cars that come out.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #72
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

New 3.8engine = 175-180kw and 340-350nm. 5speed auto and 5speed manual
Front wheel drive only and NO wagon.
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #73
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I hope they have improved the turning circle, it was shocking before.

Most people don't care about FWD or RWD anymore, it's only us lot (car freaks) that do.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #74
RATT

One word why a Mitsubishi 380/Galant/Magna will take years to claw back to what it could be: resale.

A current Magna attracts at least 20% less dollars than a current Falcon or Commodore. And this inturn effects the fleet market for new Magnas etc. The 380 may as well be a great car but it will be a while before MML gets back on its feet.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #75
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

all this talk of a numeric name on a ford forum and NOONE has mentioned the ford 500.

FWD.. cv joints. torque steer. pfft. ill be right thanks.

as far as the taxi thing goes, for WHATEVER reason, fords are the most common.. and i think it was best said in that its the better deal in the long run in terms of $$$.. thats probably why. and well... if i was buying a long term family run-around/caravan tower, thats what id get too.
clampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #76
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
as far as the taxi thing goes, for WHATEVER reason, fords are the most common.. and i think it was best said in that its the better deal in the long run in terms of $$$.. thats probably why. and well... if i was buying a long term family run-around/caravan tower, thats what id get too.
The cabbies say that the downtime on a Ford for servicing etc is quicker. Don't know how tho ? The dedicated lpg engine has to help. Tickford apparently has the better lpg system too. Guess these things all help their choice of a Falcon over a Commie.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #77
oldracer

After having an ED XR8, then trading that on a series 1 AU XR8 which had 4 diffs, scrubbed out rear tyres like it was a commodore, expensive servicing costs, shoddy interior quality I went to trade that it on a series 2 or 3 XR8, just cause it was a Ford, then I saw the light and had a look at a VRX.
After 150K on a 2002 model VRX, I can tell all of you from experience that the performance, service costs even including the rear plugs, build quality and standard of vehicle for the age, the series 1 XR8 had 170K on it at trade in, are far superior to the equivalent Ford product.
Rear wheel drive is ok but the Magna is far lighter than the XR8 and I work with a guy who has a series 1 BA XR8 and he says it is real heavy in the front, he has driven both and for day to day driving the magna is streets ahead.
Fuel economy in the XR8 was ok and it certainly is ok in the magna and I don't hang around, I do a lot of country driving and the comfort is great and I am a big person. There was a thread about FPV v Tickford and the criteria was that there should be no keyboard jockeys, same should apply here, oh and by the way, my other cars are a EB2 Ghia and a S420L, there we go with the numbers again.
I will certainly look at the new magna as the time comes to get rid of the VRX as it has been a great workhorse and from a dealer perspective, the Ford guys don't work anywhere near as hard as the mitsu dealers to keep you happy, otherwise I may not have experienced the other side.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #78
oldracer

I also tow the Coop with the magna and it does it standing on it's ear so the family caravan or horse float is no problems.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #79
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

call me a stick in the mud, but i never would have used 'caravan', 'tow', 'magna' and 'no problems' in the same sentence... but i'l beleive what a manga owner says before i make my own assumptions

eh... this keyboard jocky isnt in the market for anything but ford v8 go-fast parts anyway..

ps: ive driven a 2001 ish 3.0 v6 manga, but didnt enjoy it much... felt like i was sitting in a bucket. thats as far as my experience goes tho.
clampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:12 PM   #80
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Most taxi's in Adelaide are Commodores, and that is because most Commodores are ex Government.

As for the dedicated gas on the BA, last I heard Ford were still trying to stop the backfiring through the intake system.

At the moment, Ford & Holden are at maximum production. If Mitsubishi go broke, the extra manufacturing will go to Toyota, That I do not want to see, Toyota already own a huge chunk of the world & their head is still swelling.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #81
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartion
call me a stick in the mud, but i never would have used 'caravan', 'tow', 'magna' and 'no problems' in the same sentence
I'd agree, not only magnas but anything fwd.......
Old 05-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #82
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

On thoughts of towing, I can remember Mitsu running a add campaing with a Magna towing a large two storey house.

Having several of the things forced upon me by a cruel and harsh employer, I can indeed vouch that the Magna always felt like it was towing a large two storey house! :thebirds:
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #83
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Every time I see that add, I chuckle a bit. They should advertise the truth. The "Worst built, worst backed car built in Australia." :
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...107#post225107
Old 07-07-2005, 01:39 AM   #84
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavze
Steffo rational! that would be a first!

What a crock of s#%t that there's any falcon's around that have done 1,000,000 kms and look and drive like new that haven't been totally rebuilt!
Steffo you are a fool!
I've been in many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Steffo you really are a tripper...

Any car will rack up high kilometres when used as a taxi... Are you stupid or something??? As taxi engines are constantly running, they are always at a constant temperature, which means less expanding / contracting of components which ultimately equals longer engine life.
Besides, 1 million + kms with an untouched engine is absolute BS, most taxis are on their second engine and third transmission by about 800,000, and I don't care what your old man, uncle, cousin, brother or mate of a mate has to say.
I challenge you to find a falcon which will reach 500,000km under normal non taxi use over a period of say, 10 years.
I have spoken to many taxi drivers, who have told me that falcons are preffered not due to reliability, but due to the fact that their poor resale makes them cheaper to buy on the second hand market (where many taxis are bought), the fact that they are superior to run on LPG, and the cheaper parts and servicing.

Stop feeding us your crap.
Nope, the engine isn't untouched, but, most of the time, they still use the "original" engine the car came with, changed only if they really have to. AFAIK at 500,000km they perform a major inspection, rco etc. All Australian cars have equally poor resale, they're all equally cheap second hand, so the resale thing.. right. Funny that you say any car will rack up kilometres as a taxi... seems according to most of the mechanics who work on the things that the 3.8 V6 Commo doesn't stand a chance.. they tend to die from 24/7 driving at the 350 - 380,000km mark, major issues with heat, oil leaks, yadda yadda (much moreso then the 4.0 in the Falcon). Not sure on the Magna thing, they're not commonly used. I've only ever seen one Magna cab, it was a TJ I think (the model before they put the ugly round TL nose on).

Assuming its maintained properly and not abused, I don't see why a Falcon driven normally wouldn't make 500,000km in 10 years. Both our Econovan Maxi's went similar mileage on the original parts, in a shorter period. The first one went 404,000km original everything, 1989 to 1995. The second one went 430,000km on original engine/tranny - 1995 - 2000, then the headgasket blew, so my father imported a 30,000km old engine/trans for it from Japan, and it went another 80,000km on that. Assuming its true what people say, that bigger engines ultimately last longer then smaller ones, if those cheap vans could do it, why couldn't a Falcon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
The cabbies say that the downtime on a Ford for servicing etc is quicker.
Its gotten to a point where most of the mechanics who work on cabs, know Falcons inside out, and well, you get the picture. It's become the industry standard in that field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...5107#post225107
Every car has faults from the factory. I can find you people complaining equally about Magna's, Camry's, Commodore's - and even things like Bentley's, S-Classes, 7-Series etc etc. No vehicle is perfect from the factory, not the Falcon, not a $1,000,000 Maybach, none. But for what it is, a cheap, family orientated large sedan, built solely for a very tiny market (one that hasn't yet hit 1,000,000 total new car sales a year), the Falcon is very impressive. As is the Commodore.

Back to the 380 and the roumours it'll look like the American Galant... it'd be nice if it looks like this one...

Galant in Ralliart trim... looks pretty cool.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...14/253444.html
Info on the US 2005 Mitsubishi Galant.. and the 3.8litre V6 they're getting in the Galant LS and Galant GTS is the 6G75.. the same engine that's going in the 380....

3828cc (95mm bore, 90mm stroke) 60° SOHC 4v per cyl V6
230hp (172kW) @ 5250rpm
250ftlbs (339Nm) @ 4000rpm

172kW 339Nm would put it somewhere between the Alloytec190 and Alloytec175.. equalling the 175 for power and 190 for torque... Are we supposed to get more power here (been hearing 190kW?)... even if we don't... that's a pretty impressive spec for a basic family car engine... I wonder what the car will weigh.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #85
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
172kW 339Nm would put it somewhere between the Alloytec190 and Alloytec175.. equalling the 175 for power and 190 for torque... Are we supposed to get more power here (been hearing 190kW?)... even if we don't... that's a pretty impressive spec for a basic family car engine... I wonder what the car will weigh.
Mitsubishi Australia are touching up the engine. Most guesses are 190kw+ 360nM+ ... Will probably weight around the same as a commodore.

Just hope the damn thing is AWD (although I remember reading 6 months ago most indications showed that it won't be..) - but I really hope it is... Imagine turbocharging an AWD version or that engine... Would be alright :

Anyhow, time will tell :
Old 07-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #86
flavze

If it looks like the galant in steffo's post, with AWD an a decent grunty V6 it will sell allright! Thats a nice lookin car! Would sell craploads if they had it in RWD as well!
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #87
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

The rear half in Steffo's pic looks awesome I reckon, nice and chunky, I'm not sold on the sloping front however, not agressive enough for my liking. I would never buy one though, needs to be RWD for me if its got that much power and torque.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #88
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Mitsubishi has CONFIRMED there will be no AWD.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #89
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Its meant to sound more european eg bmw/merc.

After the disaster Magna was recentl, its probably a good idea.
I want to know how having a number makes it sound European, thats just crap.
US- Ford 500, Chrysler 300C
Japan- 350Z, IS200
Europe- S500
etc,etc.

How does a plain number relate to Merc/BMW.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #90
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Mitsubishi has CONFIRMED there will be no AWD.
: : : : : :jab:
that counts me out then

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon