Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #61
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Re: Proposed Changes to QLD Anti-hooning Laws

Yes it's police discretion, and you're right you could get someone having a bad day. But police are human and the have lives like us. With bills to pay and a wife or husband and kids to keep happy. If you get one having a bad day, still show them respect and agree with them. I can tell you it gose a hell of a long way, then trying to prove a point. Unless we all protest outside palarment in the thousands, it's not going to change. They are really after the hoons and a lot will say it's crap, but all our car spot have a good relationship with the cops. And we'll dob the ones in that want to leave the venue, like idiots. We'll take plates and hand them to the police when they turn up, because that the understanding we have with them. We have the coppers come through some nights and park up, and let the kids look through their car with the sirens on.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #62
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the coppers in the most dangerous state of all don't have a problem with modified cars
i regularly pass highway patrol cars in the coupe without getting a second look
i can drive around phillip island after historic hoon type races without getting looked at
i can pull over in full view of them when within 100 metres of a booze bus, fill in my log book and drive passed them with the wrong sticker on my windscreen and not get a 2nd look
when living in the middle of nowhere next to a road that had the quarter mile marked, i was pulled over many times - did i cry on a forum. no i just got on with my life, happy they were doing their job

maybe the attitude, both to them and driving in general is the difference
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #63
Xy gt for me
Starter Motor

Instead of crushing hoon cars they should auction them off or just crush the Holden's!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Yes it's police discretion, and you're right you could get someone having a bad day. But police are human and the have lives like us. With bills to pay and a wife or husband and kids to keep happy. If you get one having a bad day, still show them respect and agree with them. I can tell you it gose a hell of a long way, then trying to prove a point. Unless we all protest outside palarment in the thousands, it's not going to change. They are really after the hoons and a lot will say it's crap, but all our car spot have a good relationship with the cops. And we'll dob the ones in that want to leave the venue, like idiots. We'll take plates and hand them to the police when they turn up, because that the understanding we have with them. We have the coppers come through some nights and park up, and let the kids look through their car with the sirens on.
Xy gt for me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #64
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
What your saying, i agree with in part.

Now yeah your car might be far and removed from what it was when it was manufactured, but what harm will it cause in your hands? Would it be safe to drive on the road (In your opinion), im not singling you out btw im just asking.
The mods which are similar in concept
A car with more height changes the COG,can be more top heavy has different effects on braking, steering,wider wheels,larger tyres can have different effects on braking, handling and effects on suspension and steering components
Exhaust mods wont comply with emmision laws if some apply,as aftermarket carbs can have issues
Ive seen 4bies with body lifts where the floor pans split and crack,or the wrong bolts are used and snap body bolts,or the OD of the body blocks are smaller than the factory body mounts
Ive seen BL, where steering couplers dont get adjusted and the steering couplers tear the rubber mounts,or clutch lines dont get replaced and split or crack due to extra stretch on the line
These are usually mods most do in the backyard and the safety aspect doesnt get looked into
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #65
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The interesting thing is I have been pulled up a number of times for RBT always been respectful . my exhaust is unlikely to be legal , but the only mention of it is one cop who commented how nice it sounded for a 6. it is not a loud cackling exhaust more a deep rumble that almost sounds like an old school V8 exhaust
attitude goes a long way and the majority of cops will treat you well if you treat them well. I know my exhaust is pushing the boundaries and if I were to be done for it I wouldn't whinge but it seems by not drawing attention to my self in how I drive and treating the cops with respect I am not a target.
My age is probably a factor too when you reach your 50s the cops seem to leave you alone if you are sensible

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #66
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I am inclined to agree with au3xr6 on that one. Especially with the exhaust. Except mine is probably no longer pushing the boundary it's making a new one. Got nothing but good comments cos I'm always nice to the police. Though they have always said that if I was an *** or got a certain coppa that I WILL be in trouble for it but cos I'm not a tool and rev it in residential areas they look the other way.
Old 16-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #67
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
My age is probably a factor too when you reach your 50s the cops seem to leave you alone if you are sensible
the driver's age and type of car no doubt does help, but i didn't have any hassles driving the coupe around on p plates
my mates all had problems driving their cars on p plates, so i think showing respect on the road and then to the police in question works, no matter what age you are
Old 16-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #68
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
i think showing respect on the road and then to the police in question and the general public works, no matter what age you are
Fixed it ....
That pritty much sums up the whole issues we as motorists or enthusiasts now have to deal with
Its all the non respective tools out there who have now make it nice n easy to enjoy out motoring lifestyle and our choices to be perhaps not a sheep ....
This user likes this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #69
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
So what your saying is because an event is on ,thats fine to do illegal mods and drive on the streets ???
Im doin a seriously modded 4x4 toy,i know for a fact itll never ever in a million years be street legal,but hey IF theres an event at land Cruiser park,thatll be fine .....
I know its never gunna be legal, and so it will have to be towed to events, that to me is alot better for my wallet,than getting busted and screaming "But i didnt know "
FYI, what im doin many do to their daily car,but maybe im a bit smarter,or maybe i cant afford the hassles
Bigger tyres, huge off set rims, massive lift,both sus and body,after market seats, cut pipes,modded interiors,non factory carb,,non original cooling system,but people still do these mods in various forms and yet still drive on the streets
As per Tony's advice i/we have already sent letters to our local members in our electorate last week that were kindly organised through Keith Littler of the Grunt Files organisation and the awesome help they are offering to get our car enthusiasts problems and concerns noticed in Parliament.

302xc thats a nice story and i'm glad you are not a law breaker by any stretch but there are certain flaws in your reasoning.

Unlike yourself some of us have been intercepted on the way home from the racetrack while not breaking any laws.
And they have made us remove our vehicles from the trailer just to defect them
And yet the Police Commissioner doesn't believe this actually happens !

But we will all have our day in court soon enough, so far over 2000 of us have video and documented evidence of times/dates of the alledged offence's and invites/ flyers/ e-mails to participate in these Powercruise/Drag racing/ Charity runs and organised cruise events which the police conveniantly choose to set up in front of.

Anyway that is my last thought on the matter, clearly some on here are more self righteous than me and will never have anything to worry about

I unfortunately like many 100 000's of others would like the opportunity to still cruise my modified car in the next 5 years without fear of having it impounded
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #70
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why would you take your car off the trailer???
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #71
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Because you are instructed to.
Old 16-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #72
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can say no
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #73
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower Rocks View Post
Because you are instructed to.
This i dont get .....
Once the car hits the road,its then liable for the book to be thrown at it,is it not ???
If its on the trailer,its not on the road, and they cant get your for having an illegally modded car on the road
Or have i missed something
Imagine the plod asking Vic Bray to trundle his drag car out of the trailer and onto the road, he would be in alot of trouble

I do however am not against anyone trying to make our life easier for the modded car person, but for me , already having enuf regoed cars, then extra cost for another,plus any addition mod fees ,or not,i really cant be bothered with and its more money free to spend on the toy
I know what i can legally get away with and many of the mods arent legal in any state ,so why would i deal with the hassles
Old 16-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #74
The Monty
Just slidin'

Cant see how or why that would even be thought of. Its on a trailer. Unless your trailer was unroadworthy? Or they have already seen you drive it on the road before putting it on the trailer?
Old 16-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #75
gtxb67

if after being respectful to the police they then instruct you to remove your car from the trailer for the purpose of giving it a defect, why does no one use their mobile phones to record it - tracey grimshaw would have a field day

it seems to be an epidemic so why has no one taken proof of this injustice - surely complaining on the net is not the way to go about fixing it
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #76
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
These are changes and new laws which will create an entirely different set of circumstances than any of us have been used to here...the wide scope and broad descriptive terms will only make it easier to be victimised if some copper having a bad day decides to make an issue of your modified car.
Exactly, there needs to be clear delineation between defects on vehicles, the impact on public safety
and engaging in unsafe anti-social behavior on the roads. I don't have a problem with police targeting
those performing dangerous antics on the road and I think police powers are sufficient to do that at the moment,
police already know who has what and how they have acted in the past, there's no need to give them even more power.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #77
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Queensland it'll be a worse offence to spin your wheels,whether accidently (yes it can happen-Detroit Locker in the wet whilst turning) or on purpose than to drive drunk?
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #78
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Exactly, there needs to be clear delineation between defects on vehicles, the impact on public safety
and engaging in unsafe anti-social behavior on the roads. I don't have a problem with police targeting
those performing dangerous antics on the road and I think police powers are sufficient to do that at the moment,
police already know who has what and how they have acted in the past, there's no need to give them even more power.
Quoted for truth.
Old 16-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #79
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda View Post
In Queensland it'll be a worse offence to spin your wheels,whether accidently (yes it can happen-Detroit Locker in the wet whilst turning) or on purpose than to drive drunk?

This ^^^
12 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #80
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

So now that its closer, there is more information out there (and a motoring enthusiast party member in parliament?) what are peoples thoughts now?
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #81
The Monty
Just slidin'

I think its great!
Old 26-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #82
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
I think its great!
Just out of curiosity, is your car Fully legal? been emissions tested?

The 5 inch cat has me wondering a little.
Old 26-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #83
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
Just out of curiosity, is your car Fully legal? been emissions tested?

The 5 inch cat has me wondering a little.
Nope, never claimed it to be. Does it conform to this legislation, thats up to popo to decide.
Not sure where emmisions testing comes into it though, considering its not neccesary in QLD under current NCOPS due to lack of facilities.

But yes, I support this legislation in its entirety, and one you get to read it it is quite fair, including application to have your car released from impoundment, fees payable in the event you are not guilty, and what happens if you do loose your car and still have a loan on it.

But hey, being sensible and reading the legislation prior to having an opinion and expressing that opinion online for all to see is a sensible approach to it.

Best thing people can do is be informed, know your rights, and understand the process. Oh, and stop whinning about things they know very little about. Record everything, and prepare yourself for what could happen if it comes to that.
Old 26-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #84
The Monty
Just slidin'

What are type one and type 2 offences?

Type 1:

69A Meaning of type 1 and type 2 vehicle related offences
(1) A type 1 vehicle related offence means any of the following offences committed in circumstances that involve a speed trial, a race between motor vehicles, or a burn out—[s 69A] Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000
Chapter 4 Motor vehicle impounding powers for prescribed offences and motorbike noise direction offences Part 1 Preliminary
Current as at 23 September 2013 Page 101
(a) an offence against the Criminal Code, section 328A committed on a road or in a public place;
(b) an offence against the Road Use Management Act, section 83;
(c) an offence against the Road Use Management Act, section 85;
(d) an offence against the Road Use Management Act involving wilfully starting a motor vehicle, or driving a motor vehicle, in a way that makes unnecessary noise or smoke.

Type 2:

(2) A type 2 vehicle related offence means any of the following offences—
(a) an offence against the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994, section 20 that happens at the same time as an offence against the Road Use Management Act involving the use on a road of a vehicle that is not registered as required under that Act;
(b) an offence against the Road Use Management Act, section 78(1);
(c) an offence against the Road Use Management Act, section 79 in circumstances in which the driver of the motor vehicle involved in the offence is over the high alcohol limit within the meaning of the Road Use
Management Act, section 79A;
(d) an offence against the Road Use Management Act, section 80(5A), (11) or (22D);
(e) an offence against the Road Use Management Act prescribed under a regulation for this paragraph involving a motor vehicle being driven on a road if—
(i) a defect notice has been issued under this Act or the Road Use Management Act in relation to the motor vehicle; and
(ii) under the notice, the motor vehicle must be inspected by an authorised officer under that Act to ensure it complies with that Act.

So we have Type 1:

Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle;
Careless driving of a motor vehicle;
Racing/Speed trials;
Sustained and prolonged breaking of traction in a willful manner in a way that causes smoke or not, by a single or multiple wheels;
Evade police

Type 2:
Driving a vehicle uninsured (whilst unregistered);
Driving unlicensed;
Driving over .15;
Failing to supply a specimen of breath or blood;
And this is the really important one:
(a) the motor vehicle (including its equipment) being modified in a way that required the owner to ensure that the modification had been approved under the Road Use Management Act; or
(b) the motor vehicle (including its equipment) being modified so that driving the motor vehicle on the road is an offence under the Road Use Management Act.

This means a) it needs a mod plate and doesn't have one under current NCOP's;
b) it doesnt comply with the NCOP's
AND
Youve been given a defect notice to rectify the problems, and you havent in the prescribed times.

Dont get mixed up with the meaning of modify as per the certain legislation (as in taking a part and modifying away from how it is meant to work and departing from its intended use) and replacing a part with another part (albeit that it makes more power or is more efficient). For example, an intercooler is deemed only to be an accesory, not a modification. Adding a turbo is a modification. Replacing a turbo with a GTX is not a modification (on its own).

These meanings will however change with the new sections of legislation, but generally, what Ive said is fairly close.

Like I said, have a read of it before cementing yourself as a hater. It is very fair once you read it. And this is coming from someone on the car scene side of the fence. I just cant stand it when people claim they know it all, when they haven't actually had anything to do with it.
Old 26-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #85
The Monty
Just slidin'

Thats nice, not that I actually care. In fact I think your the only one who has ever whinged and whined about it. Would know why though, would we?

Not all of us are semi-illiterate, and unlike some, there are those that understand/read/take time to look at legislation that keeps the country running. Its really not rocket science. Unlike hooking up Australias biggest turbo, NOS, N/A whatever else, 250000hp MONSTER!
2 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #86
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im just trying to help people out by explaining it simply. But to have to come on here, where everyone else is civil, and deal with you almost makes it not worth it. But I wouldnt give you that satisfaction. The info is there to help everyone, and when Im able, like I always try to do, Ill add more bits to the puzzle so people get the full picture, not just the grunt files propaganda, not just the Govco spin, and not the media storm, but what it actually is and means. If your not ok with that, please feel free to block my posts.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #87
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
if after being respectful to the police they then instruct you to remove your car from the trailer for the purpose of giving it a defect, why does no one use their mobile phones to record it - tracey grimshaw would have a field day

it seems to be an epidemic so why has no one taken proof of this injustice - surely complaining on the net is not the way to go about fixing it
Agreed!
In Queensland, the State Government is run by a Dictator and his cronies. Then there's Police, Highway Patrol and Dept of Machinery are nothing more than a upstart egotistical little Hitlers with attitude.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #88
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why was it felt needed to shout from the rooftops someones occupation and make a point of it..

poor form dazzler
Old 27-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #89
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

careless driving-like not keeping left or not indicating for instance-could be a type 2 hooning offence. I would prefer to see people get their cars crushed for this, as these 2 examples are far more dangerous and annoying than a pleasant-but legal-exhaust note. How do police intend to calibrate their ears?
Old 27-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #90
The Monty
Just slidin'

Careless driving is a funny one. It would have to be proven that you had intent to be careless of other road users. For ecample, possibly an incident where a person gets road rage and forces the other car from the road causing it to crash.