Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #61
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: Nissan GT-R Stigma/Attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
What will happen again? I assume you mean the Bathurst 12 hour right? Nissan have a long way to go in getting a GT-R model fast enough to beat some of the other GT-class cars getting around there. Also, they need to sink quite alot of money in getting a competitive enough team and drivers
Thats all about what its designed to do though. I think you'll find the GT-R (stock) is quicker than a 911 or DBS around a race track, but those cars *are* raced in GT3 championships.

The catch is that to be raced in those championships, Nissan would have to Homologate a RWD version of the GT-R, possibly with an N/A V8 engine.

Basically they'd have to do an Analog of the Audi R8 LMS edition.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #62
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

I dnt know what there is to hate about them. Ive been blessed enough to have a go in one of these beats and it was pure bliss! Id own a R35 no questions asked.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #63
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

They race them in a U.S series against Porsche's, Mazda's, Ford GT's, Corvettes etc
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #64
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
I dnt know what there is to hate about them. Ive been blessed enough to have a go in one of these beats and it was pure bliss! Id own a R35 no questions asked.
Once again I'm not hating them >.<

Just those are who as said "hellbent" on thinking it's completely indestructible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW
What doesn't look promising? Nissan abiding by the rules? Educate yourself about how Nissan came to be entering V8SC before jumping to completely stupid conclusions

Conclusions is what you just jumped too, I wasn't talking about that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
Not being mean, but you sound like one of the kids on youtube you are talking about.

Godzilla earned it's place in history. People will always be unable to keep it in perspective and make outlandish claims and get carried away, but for me my GTR was the best car ownership of my life. 10 x better than the sterile GT I now own or the next cheapest equivalent back in the 90's
Once again I'm not hating the car -.-

The cars are fine, but they aren't simply the best, and this is what I'm getting at with people basically saying they are.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #65
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing is completely indestructible given a creatively abusive operator...

But seeing the way some tools "use" their old Skylines, I'd have to say it speaks pretty highly of the way they're built that they keep on plugging along for years.

...even if the 2JZ is a better motor...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #66
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeSpider
Once again I'm not hating the car -.-

The cars are fine, but they aren't simply the best, and this is what I'm getting at with people basically saying they are.
Thats a massive call saying it aint the best, no car can is the best as everything has flaws, but their is no other car out there that can perform like the GT-R in all aspects with a reasonable price tag.

If the GT-R had a ferrari badge on it, it would be hailed as the best car ever with a million dollar price tag. The only stigma in this thread is people can't see beyond the nissan badge.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #67
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dnt know what there is to hate about them.

The Average waynekers that own them .
Old 22-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
The catch is that to be raced in those championships, Nissan would have to Homologate a RWD version of the GT-R, possibly with an N/A V8 engine.

already done,

there is a GT class GT-R, with a 5.6V8...the same block that will be used in the supercars...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #69
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
Thats a massive call saying it aint the best, no car can is the best as everything has flaws, but their is no other car out there that can perform like the GT-R in all aspects with a reasonable price tag.

If the GT-R had a ferrari badge on it, it would be hailed as the best car ever with a million dollar price tag. The only stigma in this thread is people can't see beyond the nissan badge.
Whoops I was pretty sure I had revised that statement.

But what I'm trying to say anyway is that most GTR fans will go "Oh nothing beats a R35 in a drag race for it's price"

I go get an XR6T mod it, done..

They then say "Oh well, that doesn't mean anything, for the price and from a stand still using the R35's AWD system, you have nothing"

XR6T modded does what, 10 down the quarter for less then 90k, or I believe in Australia 140k...

Then it goes to "Oh well R35 is best around the track for it's price"

And yeah sure that's true, but I don't believe anyone has modded any cars to try and contest that claim.

This is just an attitude I see towards it.

And previously said, a lot of them will argue "Modded vs Stock" but then when it's a Modded Skyline vs Bugatti, it's all "Bugatti is slow, why pay a million dollars when a Skyline beats it" without having any knowledge of the differences in the cars...

Suppose it just frustrates me there is numb skulls who only see their side whether or not it's truth.

Old 22-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #70
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
already done,

there is a GT class GT-R, with a 5.6V8...the same block that will be used in the supercars...
Fairly sure the Japanese GT500 regs are considerably different from FIA GT3 and GT-1 regs.

Current:
Old 22-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #71
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole thing about, "You can get an XR6T to do a 10 second quarter for under $90k." Who cares? I can buy a Datsun 120Y shell and put a chook cooker in it and run 9's for under $20k.

I think the stigma attached to the car tends to come from the bad eggs who drive them, and the youtube fan boys are just that, youtube fan boys. Most aren't even old enough to drive yet, and the ones that are, are ignorant enough to form an opinion of a car they most likely have not even driven!
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #72
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Naranja
And yeah sure that's true, but I don't believe anyone has modded any cars to try and contest that claim.
Something like an Evo or WRX STI shouldn't be too hard to get to a state where they'll beat a stock GT-R around a track.

I'd hate to see what you'd have to do to something like a Falcadore though to get it up to that sort of speed and durability.

Current:
Old 22-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #73
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Something like an Evo or WRX STI shouldn't be too hard to get to a state where they'll beat a stock GT-R around a track.

I'd hate to see what you'd have to do to something like a Falcadore though to get it up to that sort of speed and durability.
Evo X with exhaust + tune (230kwatw), semis, brakes and a good set of coilovers would come close I would think. Should do probably 1:05's around Wakefield. Now if you wanna talk an Evo 6 TME, 2.3L stroker, FP black, 272's, brakes, tyres and suspension then you're talking maybe 1:03's. Presumably with an expert driver, of course.

There's a video on youtube of an American car review place trying to beat a stock GTR with an Evo 10 (modified) around Willow Springs I think. From memory they got pretty close with some simple mods.
Old 22-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #74
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:

Would be interesting, another thing that they'd have to find an excuse for, I'd say if it was done to a Falcon or Commodore, most of the parts in it wouldn't be original anymore, just the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
This whole thing about, "You can get an XR6T to do a 10 second quarter for under $90k." Who cares? I can buy a Datsun 120Y shell and put a chook cooker in it and run 9's for under $20k.

I think the stigma attached to the car tends to come from the bad eggs who drive them, and the youtube fan boys are just that, youtube fan boys. Most aren't even old enough to drive yet, and the ones that are, are ignorant enough to form an opinion of a car they most likely have not even driven!
Yeah basically, the the XR6T thing was just an example.

Old 22-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #75
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Evo X with exhaust + tune (230kwatw), semis, brakes and a good set of coilovers would come close I would think. Should do probably 1:05's around Wakefield. Now if you wanna talk an Evo 6 TME, 2.3L stroker, FP black, 272's, brakes, tyres and suspension then you're talking maybe 1:03's. Presumably with an expert driver, of course.

There's a video on youtube of an American car review place trying to beat a stock GTR with an Evo 10 (modified) around Willow Springs I think. From memory they got pretty close with some simple mods.
It was one of the US Car Magazines from what I remember, forget who though.

Quote:
Would be interesting, another thing that they'd have to find an excuse for, I'd say if it was done to a Falcon or Commodore, most of the parts in it wouldn't be original anymore, just the body.
Well....Dry carbon bonnet, boot and front quarters would take a fair chunk of weight out. Carbon brakes and forged wheels would take out more...

Probably need a cage to increase the rigidity so i'd guess you may as well take out the back seats.....

You'd need a *lot* of suspension work...possibly a trans-axle gear box....

And if its either an I6 or a 5.4Litre you'd need and alloy block.

Basically you'd probably end up with a race-car that has cost at least as much to build as the GT-R would cost to buy...and no where near as functional.

Current:
Old 22-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #76
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Walk down the street with a Holden T-Shirt on and you're bound to cop it from the arrogant Ford fan-boys. It's how it is every where.

Last edited by onfire; 22-03-2012 at 08:22 PM.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #77
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for interests sake, here's the video of the GT-R vs Evo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdpBvLlWbXE

On the Evo they upgraded: turbo, intercooler, cams, exhaust, brakes, wheels, suspension.

Block, head, transmission, diffs etc all stick untouched.

Evo came to within 0.10s around Willow Springs.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #78
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You cannot reason with YouTube commenters. They are a different breed. They think they know everything.

This forum has got to be the most open minded car forum I have seen. Most the people here who love fords can also appreciate other cars which is great. I know there are a few hardcore ford fans here who think every Ford ever made is amazing while every other car sucks, but in the end that is thier loss.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #79
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
You cannot reason with YouTube commenters. They are a different breed. They think they know everything.

This forum has got to be the most open minded car forum I have seen. Most the people here who love fords can also appreciate other cars which is great. I know there are a few hardcore ford fans here who think every Ford ever made is amazing while every other car sucks, but in the end that is thier loss.
Yeah very much agree.

@Nic

Wow that evo barely had anything internal touched, and a lot more, and they wouldn't touch ride height? when it could definitely go lower and stiffer and still be practical.

Not bad.

Last edited by XR6Naranja; 23-03-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #80
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Fairly sure the Japanese GT500 regs are considerably different from FIA GT3 and GT-1 regs.
No, i said GT class, not GT500.

So, as i said before, There is a R35 GT1 (fully FIA sanctioned), powered by the Vk56DE that will form the base for the V8 supercar engine. a different car then the Gt500 monster, powered by the smaller Vk engine...

http://www.gtrblog.com/2009/04/06/fi...ions-revealed/

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #81
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
but their is no other car out there that can perform like the GT-R in all aspects with a reasonable price tag.
In it's home market, the Corvette ZO6 and ZR-1 would be comparable, no?
Old 24-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #82
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it`s like anything , there`s plenty of tall poppy syndrome out there, if an F6 or GT or a HSV did the 0 to 60 in 2 seconds there would be just as many haters out there singing praises for something else and bagging them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #83
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
In it's home market, the Corvette ZO6 and ZR-1 would be comparable, no?
ZR1 was under a second slower then the GT-R on a quarter.. why? because it's RWD, pretty amazing since most claim RWD obsolete against AWD.

But I'm not sure about around the track results.

Old 24-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #84
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
ZR1 was under a second slower then the GT-R on a quarter.. why? because it's RWD, pretty amazing since most claim RWD obsolete against AWD.

without comparing those 2 cars, in ideal conditions and with an experienced driver, a rwd should not be penalised over the quarter - the extra weight of awd would probably make it less efficient
however, with a less experienced driver, in slightly slippery conditions, the awd should have a distinct advantage
around a twisty track the awd should be king
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #85
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

yeah , myself i`m very sceptical about track times from the nurburg by car companies, if you or i went to the nurberg with our daily we`d go there when the car was running good ,kick the tyres and go with a few flying laps and take the best one, these car companies go up with teams of computer/tuning experts and tyre/suspension specialists and probably spend the whole day there, who knows maybe longer ,then brag about lap times.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #86
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Decent look on it, without seeming hypocritical, I'm thinking that maybe the GT-R is a little TOO advanced, I mean the Top Gear test shows the car with and without the traction control, and the car just doesn't do anything but accelerate and corner at such a precise level.

I think I'd be slightly bummed if I went to a skid pan just to drive around in circles because it wouldn't break loose.
It's not like that at all.... turn Diffs, Suspension and Traction settings all to "R" and this thing will step out like a super-grippy RWD car, turn TC off and you will turn it around when pushed hard, I promise you.

For me, I batted hard for what I considered the high powered, high traction Aussie 4 door car epitomy, my Terminator.... what the GT-R did was make me realise that I was just a shotgun wielding, two-bit zealot hick with my eyes and ears closed to most what was going on around me.... the GT-R is a such a revelation..... anyone that has been shotgun (or driven) my AU knows I am qualified to speak at this level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
From what I hear, the GT-R is not very involving, despite high levels of grip and acceleration (similar to a WRX then). I'm 18 and I'd much rather an MX-5 for outright thrills. The car just does not appeal to me at all.
Dont believe what you hear.... The GT-R is absolutely involving it just needs to be pushed, naturally, the thrill of a car - where it feels exciting - is when approaching its limits, you will find that limit way, way, way earlier in an MX-5 or GC8 bodied WRX as two (very different) examples. My best mate Ramon owns some of the finest road going examples of WRX's in Aus, and his exact words on the R35 are:

"Best daily car ever....."

Sure, at what budget... but we are talking up to 750K cars here at 1/5 the price, so not only do I agree with his statement, but it has also forced me to look hard at what I have owned/built/raced up to this point in time.... considering I pushed that much money into each of my Fords!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160
......As for the new GTR it's a mind boggling piece of tech. The engineering that has gone into this vehicle will make your head spin.

Eg, different ride height, spring and shock rates from left to right to correct handling on RHD cars. Everything is done for a reason and calculated down the most minute detail.

Long live the God Father, Kazutoshi Mizuno.
Amen.
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #87
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Also, to the OP..... FWIW I agree there are plenty of fanboys out there that $h!t me off too.

The GT-R is worth batting for, but blind allegience is exactly that.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #88
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Also, to the OP..... FWIW I agree there are plenty of fanboys out there that $h!t me off too.

The GT-R is worth batting for, but blind allegience is exactly that.

Daniel
Yeah sounds all good to me.

The ONLY problem I had with your reply to me is that turning traction control off apparently voids warranty? through a black box?

I'd totally own one, but I would blind bat it when I'm defending it, same as I don't blind bat it when I'm defending Ford.

It'd be a nice car to drive around, better fuel efficiency then my current car 0.o

And basically faster then anything on the road in this town.

But yeah I can definitely say some of those people give me frustration issues lol.

Old 24-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #89
nstg8a

Quote:
Yeah sounds all good to me.

The ONLY problem I had with your reply to me is that turning traction control off apparently voids warranty? through a black box?

I'd totally own one, but I would blind bat it when I'm defending it, same as I don't blind bat it when I'm defending Ford.

It'd be a nice car to drive around, better fuel efficiency then my current car 0.o

And basically faster then anything on the road in this town.

But yeah I can definitely say some of those people give me frustration issues lol.
i think you will find its launch control that can void the warennty. which was deleted on the first aus delivered gtr's anyway.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #90
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
i think you will find its launch control that can void the warennty. which was deleted on the first aus delivered gtr's anyway.
Fair enough.