Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #61
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Driver trainning is the bigger problem.
Dam half wits sitting in the left lane for the hell of it in Both cars and trucks and honestly car drivers are the worst by far.
spot on Kev, I don't think it's the car, or the truck, or the motorbike- it's the attitude. If everyone was better educated we wouldn't need all these new rules.

Them germans and europeans who have decent driving tests don't seem to have trouble with other road users passing them at 100km/hr faster!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #62
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosh Brus
I have never seen trucks in the right lane to be a problem.

Thats just crazy talk.
The majority of the time I agree. The truckies usually are up close or on to the limiter, driving at a consistent speed, if there's an opportunity to move left once they have overtaken cars, they usually take it. Cars however, the driver is driving 10km/h+ under the limit, in the right lane, sometimes on the mobile (hand held) and when an opportunity comes up to move left and let all the cars queuing up behind pass, they just sit there in that right lane, some even when there's nothing within 100 metres of them.

The government can introduce new rules to appear to be doing something, but the existing rules (besides speeding) are largely not enforced as it is.

I find that there's people out there (alot of them) that take no notice of speed limits. In a 60 zone, they'll do 70, in an 80 zone, they'll do 70-75 and in a 100 zone, will sit under 90. Westall road extension is an example. Road goes from 80 to 100 and still doing 80 and won't move over either. There's a train of cars itching to go quicker and some idiot sits there and holds everyone up. They go all the way to the end and don't turn right before that either - so no reason to sit in the right lane.

So I say don't target trucks, target everyone who sits in the right lane holding up traffic under existing rules.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #63
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueses
HERE IS A PERFECT SCENARIO..

Let's say that I'm driving over the Bolte Bridge, towards the Westgate freeway, in a semi.. and I want to head towards Altona/ Geelong.. As the 3 lanes of the bridge all go in different directions i HAVE to use the far right lane in order to head to the westgate bridge... Will a cop car/ vicroads car sit there and fine every truck that uses the right lane, despite THE RIGHT LANE being the exit ramp off the Bolte towards the westgate....???
WELL YOU USE YOUR HEAD MATE AND DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO! YOU NOT GOING TO BE HANGED AT DAWN FOR DOING WHAT YOU HAVE TO LEGALY MATE OK, YOU COPY THAT MATE?...OVER
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #64
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Actually undertaking is a correct term. Passing a car on the left is illegal.
Passing a car on the left on a single lane road is illegal. Passing on the left of a multilane is legal.

In theory, this sounds like a good move, but it doesn't account for all the twits getting stuck behind the trucks in the other (now slower) lanes, who poke their nose into high speed traffic while only doing 60 or 80 or whatever. I can just see some old granny getting cleaned up by a car in the fast lane, even though neither are speeding.

My prediction is that this will not effectively raise the overall speed in any lane; in fact, the "truck allowed" lanes may even be faster than the right (everyone will be jockying to get into the right, leaving the other lanes clear). I've always found the middle lanes to be quickest in Victoria; slow cars in the left, right hand lane hogs in the right, leaving the rest of us to travel at reasonable speed in the other lane(s).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #65
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a bit of a band aid solution that's for sure and its only been caused by speed limiting trucks. It may save a few 5mins on a commute a week but will cause more agro on our roads.
My expierences with truckies are good i have no issue's at all except a couple of times ive had them tailgaiting me in bad weather. When i have no visability and they do scares me if i have to hit the skids im dead .

In dublin they have banned trucks in the city districts from 7am to 7 pm . Apparently it working well , allthough i doubt its much fun for truckies.
This will be the next step for Oz i have no doubt about it .

Personally I think the whole system is flawed . With growing population here there is going to be more trucks and more cars on our roads . We cant just keep building bigger and bigger roads . It will just make things harder .

One solution is to use rail more effectivly .

If you built super depots in all large industrial area's connected by rail . For example
If you wanted goods from melb to geelong .
Have a massive train depot at the docks . Goods going to geelong go by rail to the desired depot in geelong you could have 2 or 3 in geelong . An then the trucks take the goods to the final destination . Resulting in spending less time on the road and travel would be limited to industrial area's.
Leaving cars to clog up the residential area's instead of both.
In the long run it would have to cheaper and more efficent .
I know truckies wont like this idea but think about it how long until the push bike will be the fastest mode on transport 10 - 20 years.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #66
LTDHO
The one and only

The two roads where there are rolling road blocks.
- South rd Moorabbin. It takes forever as every lane has a truck. This is at 0630.
- Nepean highway Moorabbin to CBD. It varies from 4 to two lanes and trucks use the right two. (granted they can only use the right two parrarell to the tram tracks)

Traffic would flow better if trucks kept left.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 03-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #67
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

As for trucks sitting in the right lanes on 2 lane roads....Maybe spare a thought for the fact that they are avoiding all the low trees and power poles on the left. I drive a 3.9m high MR (sometimes a 4.2) and I'm quite happy to sit in the right lane so a dodgy dip in the road doesn't lean me into a power pole and rip the back open like a sardine can.

Cant imagine how sketchy it would be in a semi. So many people on here that have never driven a truck that just dont understand how much truck drivers have to look out for.

Would you prefer a truck driving in the right lane or traffic down to one lane because a power pole has been hit?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #68
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a load of crap, on here saying trucks usually do this and that and cars don't. Everyone is as bad as each other. I for one see it from all types shapes and sizes regardless. Aussies don't know how to que and be curtious on the roads and there are either dumb asses or impatiant ************ that could care less for the other road users. These are to resons our roads are the way they are today. Go on you good thing Aussies and admit it for once in your tiny life for crying out loud, ADMIT IT.

Besides is that new thing only for some roads. Typical, thats the way in this country "half arsed"

Sorry to be blunt but its true and the sooner we admit to it the sooner the process can start to move in a positive forward motion.
My supervisor and I were pulling out of a side street onto a busy road, we had a clear run from our right to cross and turn right blending into stopping traffic from our left. There was a controled intersection to our right about 200 meters whom got the green light as we were manouvering. this ********** comes hooning down on us and on his horn and the bird out the window. COME ON, WHY MAN, WHY? i ask what the hell was the problem. No manners, curtosy or consideration and its plagued throught out on oour roads. just listen to what people who are holidaying from other countries have to say. its really bad.

How do we change this
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #69
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have seen so many cars cut out in front of truck drivers it really is scary! Big truck given a car length to brake...not going to happen people.

Driver education needs to be a priority. I am sick of reading that Truck drivers are always at fault...IMO it has more to do with Car drivers not knowing or understand braking distance from the point of view of the truck driver.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #70
x series

That should read P plates ban in right lanes on freeways, not trucks!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #71
rodderz

Today I had to use the ring road in a long time, it wasnt a surprise to see how driver attitudes havent changed since I last used it. Never mind the right lane, the left is a problem too, by left I mean the merging or emergency lane.

I was in the new work truck (a medium sized tipper) and the amount of people trying to get that last car ahead where the merge lane has stopped, or down the emergency lane is astonishing. Then they expect you to let them in when they move over without a wave of thanks. A trucky up further was swerving into the left to give them a fright, I gave him the thumbs up on the way past. Another no-surprise, I'll give everyone one guess as to what the main brand of car was that was doing the pushing in!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #72
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Actually undertaking is a correct term. Passing a car on the left is illegal.
nope, look up the road rules yourself. if all cars have their own lane, passing on the left is perfectly legal.

while your looking at the regs, you'll notice there is no mention of the word 'undertaking'!! if you pass another car, whether it be to the left or right, you are overtaking it! pretty simple.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #73
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I generally dont have a problem with trucks being in any lane on a freeway, they are a pain in the **** when they are in every lane (incl the right) at red lights and take till the next red light to get moving...but no probs for me on freeways

On a side note you have to love bus lanes that let the bus take off before the traffic then just after the intersection theres a bus stop withOUT a seperate lane for the bus to pull into its stop, so it can pull up in the left and block the traffic...Brilliant
Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #74
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for me most of the problem is poor infrastructure(spelling), the never ending slow road work area`s that have been going on for years and years, the monash is a good example, these dipsticks building our roads don`t seem to have the foresight to under stand we need much bigger arterials to service the large population we now have , many parts of melbourne the off ramps only lead to bottle necks backing up on the freeway, ever tried to leave melbourne from the westgate north bound on a friday afternoon it`s a bloody disaster , truckies are tha same as motorist`s they wanna get where they are going then go home, unfortunatly for truckies doing long distance they also have log book restrictions if you get held up for an hour in traffic there`s absolutely no way you can make this time up, and let me say this for all the bleeding heart motorist`s out there, its a bloody lot easier to to overtake a truck in a car than it it is to overtake a car in a heavy truck, moveing on, add to that the trains in melbourne block many intersection causeing more traffic kaos, in summer the tracks buckle from heat, trains then get cancelled ....surely the answer is to put them underground, less road holdups, trains run without heat problems, i don`t see a problem keeping trucks out of the right lane except that perhaps then there will be more cars darting in from the fast lane at the last minute to make the off ramps causeing more accidents, time will tell, again none of this would be a problem if the roads were able to better handle the traffic load.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #75
Pat Riley
U MAD?

I think they should just make the far right lane of freeways 110 km/h rather than 100 km/h. If a truck can't do 110 km/h and maintain it then they don't use the right lane, but I don't see why truck drivers should be discriminated against per say. The problem is slow vehicles, not slow trucks, and I find myself stuck behind a lot more cars doing 10 km/h + under the speed limit than trucks in the far right lane.

The problem with traffic at least in Perth as far as I'm concerned is inadequate public transport and poorly designed intersections and traffic lights. Our train system is useless so are our buses. Loftus street (where the bridge crosses over the freeway) is one of the worst examples of poorly designed intersections. The place is ridiculously congested every morning in peak-hour and it's purely due to the design. Traffic lights therefore last for 2 minutes straight in some sections and only 10 to 15 seconds in other places. After getting off the freeway at the Vincent Street exit, I've had to sit through 6 sets of traffic lights (each one lasts 3 minutes) just trying to turn right onto Loftus Street, only to have to get through another 2 traffic lights within 100 metres of one another. It's taken me around 22 minutes before just to turn right at one intersection!

C - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF - Chris Bosh
SF - Lebron James
SF - Dwyane Wade
PG - Mario Chalmers

C - Erick Dampier
PF - Udonis Haslem
SF - James Jones
SG - Mike Miller
PG - Carlos Arroyo

C - Joel Anthony
C - Dexter Pittman
C - Jamaal Magloire
PF - Juwan Howard
SG - Eddie House

Last edited by BA Falcon; 04-03-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #76
yueses

Here's another thought everyone.

TRUCK DRIVERS are more skilled and are MORE QUALIFIED.. We have a HIGHER category license and have had a higher level of training and road education than those who are legally ONLY skilled to drive a car.

WE, truckies are better, safer, more qualified and smarter drivers when we're not surrounded by idiotic morons in cars.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #77
LTDHO
The one and only

Everyone needs to read road rule 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
nope, look up the road rules yourself. if all cars have their own lane, passing on the left is perfectly legal.
Also, take a look at road rule 141 including a, b and c. Ironically, if 130 is being applied, 141 a,b and c would not take effect.

Quote:
while your looking at the regs, you'll notice there is no mention of the word 'undertaking'!! if you pass another car, whether it be to the left or right, you are overtaking it! pretty simple.
Slang terms are not used in the rules. The term 'undertake' is used for two reasons.
1. As overtaking isusually to the right then the opposite would be to the left and under.
2. When you pass a turning truck on the left, you usually end up on your back infront of the undertaker.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #78
LTDHO
The one and only

Oh while I'm at it. Please read road rule 143. Print it off. pass it to all your friends that you want to live. Put it up in the window of your local shop. People just think that this rule doesn't apply to them.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #79
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:

TRUCK DRIVERS are more skilled and are MORE QUALIFIED.. We have a HIGHER category license and have had a higher level of training and road education than those who are legally ONLY skilled to drive a car.

WE, truckies are better, safer, more qualified and smarter drivers when we're not surrounded by idiotic morons in cars.
I think its both ways mate, not all truckies are terrific drivers as you say, they are just as inconsiderate and do stupid things on the roads just like car drivers, this is what makes us human, I think truckies need to consider that we mere car drivers get frustrated by them in the right lane or when they are sitting side by side on the freeway and car drivers need to consider trucks cannot just stop or change lanes or manover as quick as a car can. This new ruling will not make much of a difference, education of ALL drivers is what is required and enforcement of road rules. The fact is down here in VIC you hardly see a Police presence on the roads because all they care about is breaking the speed limit which they enforce with camera's.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #80
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'll agree, there are a fair few who are - then there are others two like the ones that sit up your *** on the hume when you're doing 110kp/h (and you're in the left lane....)

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #81
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's good and bad in both... remember... truck drivers are car drivers too.... the difference is simply the size of the vehicle and consequences of bad driving....
To say truck drivers are better than car drivers (and vice versa) is simply nonsense, we're all the same.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #82
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
There's good and bad in both... remember... truck drivers are car drivers too.... the difference is simply the size of the vehicle and consequences of bad driving....
To say truck drivers are better than car drivers (and vice versa) is simply nonsense, we're all the same.
I don't know whether i'm taking your post out of context 4vman.. But there is no way you can compare the skill's base of a B double operator and the average huyundai driving moron..
Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #83
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I don't know whether i'm taking your post out of context 4vman.. But there is no way you can compare the skill's base of a B double operator and the average huyundai driving moron..
Yes... you are taking it out of context and not understanding that they are different skills, not necessarily the same, there are good and bad in both.... the same "b double driver" is also potentially a "Hyundai driver" too....

Last edited by 4Vman; 04-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #84
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Everyone needs to read road rule 130

Also, take a look at road rule 141 including a, b and c. Ironically, if 130 is being applied, 141 a,b and c would not take effect.

Slang terms are not used in the rules. The term 'undertake' is used for two reasons.
1. As overtaking isusually to the right then the opposite would be to the left and under.
2. When you pass a turning truck on the left, you usually end up on your back infront of the undertaker.
AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 141
No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
141 No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle

(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:

(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle, or

(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal.

pretty clear. 141. 1a tells me i am correct. overtaking(yes thats right-'over'taking) on the left is legal.

road rule 130 refers to keeping left unless overtaking. this only applies on roads that have a speed zone of 80 or higher.

also on multi lane freeways, when all lanes are reasonable full of traffic, you are telling me that if you are in the left lane and someone is in the lane next to you going slower, you have to change lanes and go around them on the right, rather than continue on in your lane?? madness.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #85
prydey
Rob

Quote:
don't quite agree there. sure we all drive cars, but the skill level varies greatly between drivers. some drivers have a lot more experience. others struggle with basic coordination. this is why road rules seem draconian in some areas as they are based on the lowest skill level.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #86
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 141
No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
141 No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle

(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:

(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle, or

(b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal.

pretty clear. 141. 1a tells me i am correct. overtaking(yes thats right-'over'taking) on the left is legal.

road rule 130 refers to keeping left unless overtaking. this only applies on roads that have a speed zone of 80 or higher.

also on multi lane freeways, when all lanes are reasonable full of traffic, you are telling me that if you are in the left lane and someone is in the lane next to you going slower, you have to change lanes and go around them on the right, rather than continue on in your lane?? madness.
in nsw this applies above 60 kph and or where stated by signage.

the cops have been pretty good lately and pinging drivers $210 for not keeping left.
maybe govco found better revenue with exhisting unenforced laws.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #87
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
in nsw this applies above 60 kph and or where stated by signage.
nsw regs

130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:

(a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour, or

(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #88
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
nsw regs

130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multi-lane road if:

(a) the speed limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour, or

(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.
according to this technicly keep left with two or more lanes with a centre meadian, painted meadian or raised one. so it is in effect starting at 40kph school zone.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinf...oads/00_03.pdf
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #89
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Yep, there's a bit of idiot in everyone at times.... I have seen some of my truck drivers do some stupid stuff at times.

The one thing I will say though, is that a truck driver back behind the wheel of a car tends to overbrake a little.... basically dosent compensate for the fact he/she is no longer in a truck... and enters a corner slower as well, and that is always going to be safer than not.

Daniel
Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #90
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
according to this technicly keep left with two or more lanes with a centre meadian, painted meadian or raised one. so it is in effect starting at 40kph school zone.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinf...oads/00_03.pdf

that is referring to signposted roads as referred to in the rule i posted 130. 1 (b)
Closed Thread