Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #61
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Super Cheap

Hi all
NoI
I went to S/C for a set of front wheel bearings for my AU Fairmont and was told we can get them for you at $230 per side I said $30 a side surely nothey are special was the answer
( I didnt know that they were complete hub at the time)
so I went to Q Ford and checked them outthey wanted $180 a side
so I ended up at a bearing place for $120 a side just goes to show not always the cheapest
No 2
I bought a battery from S/C for the Mrs Torana 3.3 litre and it came with a 12 month replacement or money back warranty any way after 3 months it died so off I go to get another or my money back
well the carry on from the sales guy youd think it was coming out of his pocket he says this battery is only meant for a six cylinder Holden
so I said what do you think a Torana is?
but we meant an FB Holden and I did the S/C battery course and know all there is to know about batteries
well that got my back up and asked for the manager,showed him the receipt and told him what his "hot shot" salesman had said and they couldnt give me back the cash quick enough
so like every one says S/C are good for polish and such
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #62
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCav
i love that last bit, if u need to ask about it should u really be doing it yourself in the first place
Everybody has to learn some how. You don't learn anything without asking questions. I am a tradesman in a non automotive field and everyday I am asking questions and learning more. The only problem is as I learn something new it replaces something old.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #63
tags84
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev

On a side note the people at Autobarn in Dural(NW sydney) actually know their stuff. Even the newbie girl knew what she was doin last time i was in there although she probably transferred from another store.

Ive notice that Mt Druitt Autobarn is useless for their expertise but penrith store is great!

Also Auto One (now Peps) In Windsor Now their stuff
tags84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #64
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Super cheap is awesome i was chatted up by a girl in there who owned an ef xr8 coz she was checking out my ef xr6 she knew what she was talking about to get into my pants
Too bad she wasnt any good tho.
And it was Autobarn :

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #65
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Quite simply - If you don't like it DON'T SHOP THERE!! Just don't bag all of us cos you had 1 bad experience. GROW UP!

I have quite the client base of people who only come in to see me and talk to me as I know what I am talking about, and so do many other people I know who work at Supercheap Auto.

If you don't want our advice and help then don't flippin ask for it! If you want to know full technical advice or complete servicing schedules talk to the people who do it - MECHANICS... not retail shop assistants. We can only tell you what we do ourselves.

We don't have sales reps come in from each company and give us the breakdown on the who, what, when, where and how's of each of the products that we sell.. once again we can only tell you what we have learned from what we do ourselves mostly.. Or alternately we can pass on the very biased and skewed information presented to us by the limited number of sales reps that do come in - perhaps you'd prefer that?

Bottom line - if you want to buy something, ANYTHING do your research and know what you are talking about before you walk in to ANY retail store.

<once again from Jason's girlfriend>
Even when you know what you want from super cheap, you sometimes don't get it. If you work there you probably should know what the difference between a wheel nut and a regular nut is. As far as I know customers aren't allowed to go behind the counter and search through your shelves to find what they need. Anyway, it's fun to bag out super cheap auto when we have stores like Repco where they know what a wheel nut is, so they can find it and sell it to you. Deal with the bagging.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #66
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

lol, I have changed mine every 5000 regardless of the vehicle manual and always will. Leave it too long and you will get carbon build up in the oil, not good if you want your engine to last.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #67
Teflon Turbo
Banned

if supercheap sponsored a ford in the v8sc, then what.....

Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #68
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
if supercheap sponsored a ford in the v8sc, then what.....

They used to. It was cheap then and its cheap now.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #69
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
if supercheap sponsored a ford in the v8sc, then what...

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #70
Teflon Turbo
Banned

i have no comeback except, how fitting!
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #71
VertexZ

burson have the best range and best prices on parts. Its actually astonishing how much of a variance there is in prices between places though. I went to repco a while back to get a thermostat for my EB, wanted about $35 for one. Got one at bursons for a little over $10.

Repco, like S/C and autobarn, do have staff that done know much. I have found on the whole that Bursons staff are by far the most knowledgeable, and they get parts not in stock for you quicker than anyone else.
VertexZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #72
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

i find bursons to be way overpriced, working in the industry knowing what things cost they can be good on some stuff but on hard parts iv seen some shockers, trade price on a clutch cable was double the price compared to my retail
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #73
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Big fan of Supercheap, i usually know what i need when i go, and... after going to Bursons, R&E and Repco supercheap were the only place who had the CORRECT powersteering fluid for a BA Falcon i dont buy PARTS as such for my car from SCA but polishes, cloths and all that junk SCA is the place to be, also things like Ryco/Valvoline filters are a decent price

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #74
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.8L Hilux
I've found that almost everyone expects too much from people behind the counter at automotive part stores. Try putting yourself in their shoes. Some customers ask the most ridiculous questions and then get the s**ts when you don't know the answer.
I had a bloke come into my store the other day saying
"Mate do you know the firing order on a g102 Charade"
I then replied "Nah sorry I dont have that infomation on hand, I can order in a workshop manual and that will tell you but other wise you will have to ask a mechanic"
He then proceeded to go off his nut and asked me how I managed to get my job and if I knew anything about cars at all.

For some reason they always seem to be VN drivers.

But back to topic, yes the person serving at super cheap should have known their oils and should have known the basics about drain intervals. Before someone is hired and can start giving advice they should learn the basics about:

- Oils (No point selling a bloke GTX2 20w-50 to put in his new Lexus just because the packaging says 'for cars built after 1992')
- Stereos
- Painting
- Bearings/Trailer Acc
- Globes (H1's H4's Stop/Tail etc etc)
- Polishes and Waxes! (Don't sell the same bloke kitten cutting compound to polish his new lexus because the packaging says it will 'restore shine')

Without this basic training the salesman may have ruiened a $10,000 engine and without a doubt ruiened someone's paint job. Realisticaly this problably wouldnt happen but you get my point. There are some people out there who have no idea when it comes to buying car parts and would take advice from anyone who they think might have SOME idea.
When I worked at Bunnings in year 10 for work experience, I had a lady get angry at me when she asked me how much concrete to use to fix in a post for a mailbox, I said I don't know sorry and referred her to one of the older guys but she got really angry, rolled her eyes and huffed off haha.

Just because a 15 year old works at a store, doesn't make them an expert lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #75
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
Big fan of Supercheap, i usually know what i need when i go, and... after going to Bursons, R&E and Repco supercheap were the only place who had the CORRECT powersteering fluid for a BA Falcon i dont buy PARTS as such for my car from SCA but polishes, cloths and all that junk SCA is the place to be, also things like Ryco/Valvoline filters are a decent price

all those places have them, its only supercheap who probably have it labelled in its own bottle to charge u more for it, its a synthetic castrol tranny fluid and i see it everywhere, says in smaller writing on the bottle its for falcon's post 1996
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #76
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
Guess what... you're not a mechanic :
And my missus was full-time 3ic at 19, whats your excuse
Store position in a retail outlet means nothing, 2/3rds of the staff at my local maccas is a manager of some sort... My point is dont bag out us youngins, I may be a 19 year old still workin casual, but my advice is possibly the best you'd get from my store.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #77
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

i use to work in a workshop at the front counter dealing with parts and working on them stupid weird cars and whatnot, applied for a job at supercheap and didnt get it, must be because i knew too much, i go in there ask for for a 5l falcon and they go huh what,
Old 29-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #78
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy
i use to work in a workshop at the front counter dealing with parts and working on them stupid weird cars and whatnot, applied for a job at supercheap and didnt get it, must be because i knew too much, i go in there ask for for a 5l falcon and they go huh what,
Probably because they don't sell 5 litre Ford Falcons, its not a car yard afterall???

NB; SC, soon to carry Euro/UN Spec warning triangle item.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #79
BOSHOG
avenge me

last time i went to supercheap i asked for an oil filter for a BA XR8, she replied "is that the 6 or the 8?"

i walked out laughing
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #80
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

What makes me laugh harder than laughing at the people who work in SCA are the fine folk here who expect said employees to know everything about YOUR car.

As others have said the people working at SCA aren't necessarily mechanics, or indeed people who know a great deal about all types of car.

I use SCA quite a bit, actually - for little bits and bobs. And before I go there, I make damn sure I know what I actually want, whether it's an oil filter, a gasket or a bolt. Many times I walk out of there empty-handed because they don't have what I need - I know exactly what I want, and if they haven't got it, I find it elsewhere.

As for the other places I've had some seriously fecked-up conversations with their staff in the past. For example, a few years ago I was buying spark plugs for my Clevo and the nice bloke at Repco handed me six... seriously.

Equally, I've had the odd interesting conversation with a bloke at a speed shop who was telling me all about the oil pump drive shafts on Clevos as he handed me exactly what I needed; kept telling me that the one in my car HAD to have a collar on it despite the fact that the reason I was buying a new one was because I KNEW that mine was missing its collar... because I remember it falling into the sump a couple of years ago.

Point is, if you know exactly what you want then you'll rarely have a problem anywhere. And if you're not sure, ask someone who you can trust to give you the right answer.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #81
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
What makes me laugh harder than laughing at the people who work in SCA are the fine folk here who expect said employees to know everything about YOUR car.

As others have said the people working at SCA aren't necessarily mechanics, or indeed people who know a great deal about all types of car.

I use SCA quite a bit, actually - for little bits and bobs. And before I go there, I make damn sure I know what I actually want, whether it's an oil filter, a gasket or a bolt. Many times I walk out of there empty-handed because they don't have what I need - I know exactly what I want, and if they haven't got it, I find it elsewhere.

As for the other places I've had some seriously fecked-up conversations with their staff in the past. For example, a few years ago I was buying spark plugs for my Clevo and the nice bloke at Repco handed me six... seriously.

Equally, I've had the odd interesting conversation with a bloke at a speed shop who was telling me all about the oil pump drive shafts on Clevos as he handed me exactly what I needed; kept telling me that the one in my car HAD to have a collar on it despite the fact that the reason I was buying a new one was because I KNEW that mine was missing its collar... because I remember it falling into the sump a couple of years ago.

Point is, if you know exactly what you want then you'll rarely have a problem anywhere. And if you're not sure, ask someone who you can trust to give you the right answer.
they should have basic HEARING skills, when ya say XR8 why would they think it might be a 6?
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #82
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

How would they know what the eight is supposed to designate if they don't know anything about cars?

I worked at a pizza shop for a bit when I was younger, I didn't know anything about pizzas, but I got paid and that's all I cared about.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #83
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
they should have basic HEARING skills, when ya say XR8 why would they think it might be a 6?
I dunno, perhaps the same reason the bloke at Repco gave me six spark plugs for a V8... :

Would you assume that a Sierra XR4i had 4 cylinders? Some may (and some XR4is did come with four pots), but where I come from they came with six of 'em arranged in a nice vee.

Vast majority of people working there will have an interest in cars, but that doesn't make them the best source of information, does it.

Come to think of it, I was going to buy me a new thermostat today - might pop into one of the chains and ask for a suitable part. $10 says they'll get it wrong, even if they look it up in the book. Solution? If you think you're up to it, do your own research, find out exactly what you want, go find it, then buy it. And don't ask the 17-year old at the till if you're unsure - not even to have a laugh at them because they probably won't know. It's not fair on the poor buggers.

Old 30-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #84
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Come to think of it, I was going to buy me a new thermostat today - might pop into one of the chains and ask for a suitable part. $10 says they'll get it wrong, even if they look it up in the book. Solution? If you think you're up to it, do your own research, find out exactly what you want, go find it, then buy it. And don't ask the 17-year old at the till if you're unsure - not even to have a laugh at them because they probably won't know. It's not fair on the poor buggers.
Could not have said it any better myself. I too go to SCA and know exactly what I'm buying before I walk into the store. If they don't have what I need, I'll go elsewhere.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #85
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Exactly, just like the 90's Capri XR2 is a 2 cyl.... oh wait!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #86
Karnage
Finger Painter

LMFAO.....People who work in sales must know their products simple as that. The fundimental principal of retail is you must know your products in order to sell them. I was recently doing a little work to my father in-laws NA Fairlane in order for him to get a roadworthy and sell it. Whilst under the car I noticed the familiar signs of a weaping welch plug. I rang the local SCA and asked to speak to somone on spare parts, after getting forwarded I enquired if they stocked welch plugs and if so what sizes they stocked. 10 minuted on hold and was told no sorry they don't stock welch, they only have NGK and Bosch. I explained what I was after and Noddy went off for another look. Store manager gets on the phone I explain again what I'm after and again get told that they definatly don't stock welch, but they do have NGK and Bosch, but maybe I could just use a bath plug until I can get it to a mechanic! Hmmm maybe if i know exactly what I was looking for before I rang up this wouldn't have happened.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #87
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Jez, you should've known better than to call SCA for a welsh plug. They're from the UK, right? The pokey-outy-bit to the west of the island?

Old 30-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #88
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Exactly, just like the 90's Capri XR2 is a 2 cyl.... oh wait!

A 90's Capri isn't exactly a common or even a current production model car in Australia.

Hell even my Volvo driving Accountant mate who wouldn't even know how to check Tyre pressure and am fairly sure has never even opened the bonnet on a car knows that a XR8 Falcon has a V8 engine!
Old 30-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #89
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:
Jez, you should've known better than to call SCA for a welsh plug. They're from the UK, right? The pokey-outy-bit to the west of the island?
You're Right Nick, was trying to go with the closest option...Now I deal with the local independent Bloke, Great service, More usable range of products and way better prices!
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #90
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
last time i went to supercheap i asked for an oil filter for a BA XR8, she replied "is that the 6 or the 8?"
I don't get why all you people go into these places and ask for a part. SCA is a retail store. The way retail stores work is that you go in there, find what you want, then take it to the counter yourself. If they don't have what you want and you want them to get one for you, you better have a bit more information to give them than "BA XR8 oil filter". Brand name and part number. Otherwise, how about you show a bit of patience and understanding while they do you the favour of looking it up for you.

Quote:
i walked out laughing
No you didn't, because surely you realise that belittling a teenager makes it clear to everyone that you have tiny hairless balls. Tiny. Hairless. Balls.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post