Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!
Default The Dark Side beckons...

OK, I have had a tennis ball flying back and forth in my brain for some time - it's been plaguing me for months! :

I've had V8's all my life except my very first car - that was a 250 in a XC! I sold my last V8 about 2.5 years ago and have been driving a very nice Subi Lib GT-B. It's been fun, but.... It's a small-er car (I'm 6'6" or approx 2m tall) and it's just not torquey enough down low.

Other than the XR and FPV - (I've had an XR and not interested in FPV), Ford don't offer what I'm looking for - a luxo V8. And seriously, the GT-E is just too damn expesive!! I've been contemplating a G6ET for some months and have driven a few. Some modified, some stockers. And something is not quite right - it's like it's missing something. Sure, I love the pace, looks, interior etc but I just couldn't put my finger on it till the wife summed it up - "It's just not a V8". I was floored. She hit the nail on the head. So what to do? Well, the answer may be from the dark side.

A mate of mine bought a WM Caprice V8 a while back and it prompted me to look into it. So I did. And I drove a few... Then I saw this one:

Far canal!! How good is that?? Now I have blue blood, but I respect something that looks awesome and sounds just as good from the dark side. Problem is, it's really got me thinking. V8, plenty of space, looks bloody brilliant, DVD players for the kids, plenty of torque, the works - just ticks all the boxes................... Even the wife likes it.

OK, so here's the question - what would you do? G6ET or Caprice? (Not interested in Calais V either).
About the same price ATM due to discounts etc.
G6ET is quicker, uses slightly less fuel, more than enough torque!, more gadets and gizmos, SWB, considerably better g'box, nice seats, looks pretty good lowered on the 19's, camera reverse, adjustable pedals, is a FORD, but, no LSD, no sunroof, steering wheel adjustment is 2/5ths of stuff all!
Caprice is a bloody comfortable cruiser, LWB, plenty of easy grunt, sounds brilliant, fairly commanding looks, rear AND front park assist, tri-zone climate control, DVD players for kids, sunroof and 20's, quad pipes, but, uses a bit of juice, huge A-pillars : , plenty on the road so resale questionable (and yes it's a Holden).

Now I'm sure there will be the die hard Ford nuts flame me for even asking, but I'm a thinking man and will consider what's the best in the market for my wants. I'm looking for thoughts, issues, idea's etc from those that may be in my position - love V8, love LWB, love lazy torque but cannot be satisfied with a current Ford product.

So, flame suit on, thoughts?

Cheers

BTW - if I bought the Caprice, I'd still own 2 Fords!! :

AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post