Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #61
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Yeah that would be it. They were just using a toe, for god sake, get a grip.

Yeah, the whole point of ABS is anti locking. ABS has come along way since my ED where it locks, unlocks, locks unlocks. ABS simply applies the brakes without causing lockup. If it did, its not working or calibrated properly.
Old 18-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #62
irlewy86
Meep Meep

You have to remember Josh Dowling is their industry expert, so this is a big call
Old 18-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #63
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

I Missed Pt Part of Holden vs Ford, Just Happy Ford Won
Old 18-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #64
husky510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Anyone who says TGA is crap needs to take a step back and look at what we had previously. If you forget there was ever Top Gear UK, compare TGA to anything else we've had over the years it absolutely trumps it IMO. I think some people are too harsh. Yes Top Gear UK is brilliant and Jeremy is a classic, but over all, TGA is leaps and bounds ahead of any other Australian car show. Look at it in isolation, get out of your (TGUK) comfort zone, and give TGA the break it deserves. And one final resolution, getting TGA doesn't mean we lose TGUK, it means we get both TGA and TGUK all year round! And that IMO is very good.
It would be a great show... if they hadn't have copyed the Uk version. Why copy something that you know isn't going to be better then the original. It is just a counterfiet. The only reason to watch TGA would be to watch tests on ford and holden... but every other car has been done by TGUK... so why do it??

Some of you guys get all upset and all offended because of someone's opinion and all you have is your precious TGA!!!! Well the truth is it's not all you have... you have TGUK. Don't get all hot under the collar because I have bagged it.

If someone gave me a real TAG Heuer watch and offered a copy TAG at the same price.... I would take the genuine one every time!
Old 18-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #65
BFXR8Silhouette
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
the average person doesn't care about what pov pack is fastest :
The average 15-18 year old cares which is fastest. 15 year olds generally get some sort of opinion on Mum & Dads new car. If there is a chance it could become a hand-me-down in a few years time they are more likely now (hopefully) to push towards falcon than commodore. XT vs Omega should fairly well translate into G6 vs Berlina and even XR6 vs SV6.

These cars are generally what families will buy (if they've managed to stay away from the SUV fad) and also what first new car buyers can afford/allowed to drive on P plates.

Also it could help get some more school aged kids supporting Ford in the V8 Supercars and spending some more money on merchandise etc. When I went to school (in rural WA) the rednecks Holden supporters were very much in the majority.
BFXR8Silhouette is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #66
ogtrip
Starter Motor

Wazza annoys me when he talks with his hands if that makes sense. He only makes a fist or has his hand wide open. He doesnt fluently use his hands when he talks. I'm imagining this isn't making sense to people but it annoys me. I'm actually getting fairly worked up just thinking about it.....
Old 18-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #67
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky510
Why copy something that you know isn't going to be better then the original. It is just a counterfiet.
That's because TGA is a franchise. It will be similar to TGUK, just like Hungry Jacks is similar to Burger King over in the US. Same franchise, different country.
Old 18-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #68
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFXR8Silhouette
The average 15-18 year old cares which is fastest. 15 year olds generally get some sort of opinion on Mum & Dads new car. If there is a chance it could become a hand-me-down in a few years time they are more likely now (hopefully) to push towards falcon than commodore. XT vs Omega should fairly well translate into G6 vs Berlina and even XR6 vs SV6.

These cars are generally what families will buy (if they've managed to stay away from the SUV fad) and also what first new car buyers can afford/allowed to drive on P plates.

Also it could help get some more school aged kids supporting Ford in the V8 Supercars and spending some more money on merchandise etc. When I went to school (in rural WA) the rednecks Holden supporters were very much in the majority.
Kellerbarrin right? I met a Holden supporter from Kellerbarrin and he made every Mississippi redneck I've seen look good.
Old 18-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #69
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
plus did anyone else think it strange that the ABS was not kicking in on either car? That to me says it wasn't really maximum braking.
A good threshold brake will outbrake ABS everytime.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #70
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
how do you stall an auto, it's a bloody auto !!! ha ha
The V6 Commo's seem to have it built in, I know my mates VT did it and the VX does it.

I enjoyed the comparison, but me being the cynic that I am the third test will go to the VE and then it will be all even. Of course the VE was gonna win, 190kw and a 5sp over the VZ driveline.

I enjoyed the rant at the end, but it did come out very staged but at least someone said it and if it sells more units then its all worth it.
Old 18-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #71
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
The one week I don't watch it. No luck here, time to trawl you tube
www.finalgear.com for all your top gear needs.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #72
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Yeah that would be it. They were just using a toe, for god sake, get a grip.
I don't really understand your need to make personal attacks.

It was a valid point and despite what others have said my FG does almost lock and release wheels with the ABS active, you can feel it inside the car, and I am sure you would see it from outside the car as one wheel slowing compared to the others.
Old 19-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #73
Aeron
DJR Fan

It was good to see them thrashing the ring-hole out of both cars. Nice work!!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #74
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

This test was getting there compared with what I would like to see from them. It would be better if they did proper instrumented tests so they could have proper info to accompany the side-by-side stuff. I was also very surprised they didn't mention fuel economy in this climate. It was also a bit disappointing to have so much use of in-car cameras on the hot lap, particularly when one of the hosts commented that you could see the difference in the handling from the outside!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #75
ashmann
Fastideous Car Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky510
I couldn't care less what these guys say about Ford or Holden... It's a dodgey show with dodgey presenter's!!!

Hear!! Hear!! :
Old 23-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #76
ZC001
Cruisin

They were testing the slowest Commodore & Falcon you can buy.
Therefore the Commodore WON the drag race by coming second.
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #77
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late braker
Well, the Ford is the better car, most discerning drivers would be able to tell that just by carefully examining the cars and driving them.

What lets the Holden down is the transmission and lack of refinement in the driveline.

Also the visibility and the interior is markedly inferior IMO to the Ford.

They got it right. But as has been said, how many poverty pack buyers would really care about the differences and the refinement issues?
anyone who want`s the better car.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #78
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The braking was very ordinary. The difference is distance at 100km/h was less than 0.1 seconds and human reactions are not that good.

The only way to do it is to use accellerometers otherwise it is too subjective.

The accelleration is less subjective as the FG was pulling away from the VE the whole way. Even if it got a head start once they were both going the ve would have stayed parallel or caught up is it were the same or quicker.

Strangely there seems to be very little mention of it on LS1....
agreed flappist...... they stuffed the brake test imo, have a look the the Commodore bonnet it goes down first its probably only a tenth of a second but that could translate into a metre or half a metre difference.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #79
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I was very very impressed with the rant at the end of the Ford vs Holden pov pak challenge, Bout time someone stood up for them both and told it how it is!, they are great cars! (Ford better lol!), and if we dont buy them we will end up with crappy FWD torque steering piece's of jap crap!!