Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #61
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemank
i think the black and gold gt is actually the bseries 40th anniversary gt...

explain? you lost me mate.. what does the b series have to do with it? its still a GT.
Old 24-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #62
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
explain? you lost me mate.. what does the b series have to do with it? its still a GT.
There was confusion early in the thread. Someone stated they saw a 50th anniversary black with gold stripes. Then someone responded, "no you must mean 5th".

It was 40th ann. of GT the original poster saw.

Not the 5th ann. of FPV.

Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #63
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Nice^. if ford sticker pack this, I'm gunna be sooper dooper not happy. And on the subject of fords marketing, they should really try actually advertising their cars. All I've seen is one ad for the XR6, then.....not even many of them. So....make some ads ya wallies.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #64
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm ... will the supercharger on the alloy engine make it in time ??
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #65
Fordmuscle1965

Thought I might get the thread back on track by posting a couple of pics of my soon to be.. 50 year old falcon.

I'm open to any offers of useage of the car to celebrate 50 years of a true legend 'Ford Falcon'

Looking for some 14" 4-stud early model rims if anyone knows of any :
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #66
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965
Thought I might get the thread back on track by posting a couple of pics of my soon to be.. 50 year old falcon.
Nice XK there mate! got any more photos of it? I had a quick look at your album - is the wagon yours too, and if so where's the build thread of it
Old 26-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #67
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Probably something along the lines of the 30th anniversary EA, or the 40th anniversary AU2. Probably just another special value pack.

Should be interesting to see what type of celebrations Ford run, if they can even afford to do them.
Why wouldnt FORD be able to afford it, Holden are the ones that are in financial dire straits....Dont you worry, not only did FORD come up with the great FG but they will do something special for the anniversary,... :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #68
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

We have got the right boss at Ford Australia now. He won't miss an oportunity like this............
Old 26-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #69
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxx
Nice XK there mate! got any more photos of it? I had a quick look at your album - is the wagon yours too, and if so where's the build thread of it
The sedan I only purchased recently and the wagon I bought as is all original only put the 14" wheels on it. It was the only car I've had that I regreted selling so I've partially rebuilt my bridge with the sedan.
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #70
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
In September 1960, Ford Australia released the XK falcon, a locally produced version of Ford USA's new compact family car. (Kind of ironic now with speculation that the next version may be locally produced version of Ford USA's new compact family car the latest Taurus).

I wonder what Ford will do to mark this landmark next year? Falcon IS Australia's own car. The longest and most succesful carname ever produced in this country, it deserves more than a few badges and stripes and "free options" pack to mark it.

Just for record, the XK falcon

Recognisable by concave grille, with headlights and parking lights in grille,
narrow tapered C pillar and low set round tail lights.
Offered in sedan, wagon, ute and van bodies.. Basic or deluxe trim.

XK
length 4602mm
width 1778
height 1384
Wheelbase 2781mm
track f/r 1397/1384mm
turning circle 11.6 metres
weight 1105 kg
Had a 144ci (2.36 litre) 67Kw/187Nm inline six, with optional 170ci(2.8litre) 75Kw/212Kw i6
3 speed manual or optional 2 speed auto.
The 144 manual did 0-60Mph in 16.8 and quarter mile in 20.8. Top speed about 135 Kmh.
Prices ranged from 1137 to 1318 aussie pounds ($2274- $2512)
Features include no radio, bench seat and no indicators, manual recirculating ball steering, drum brakes, leaf spring rear suspension on live axle, the airbag sat beside the driver.

FG (Based on Xt spec)
length 4955mm
width 1868
height 1453
Wheelbase 2838mm
track f/r 1583/1598mm
turning circle 11.0 metres
weight 1704 kg
The XT i6 auto does 0-100Kmh in about 7.1 seconds and 400m in about 15.2 sec . Top speed is limited to 180 Kmh.
Official RRP $37,690 to $56,390
My very first car when I was 18 back in 1974, was an XK Falcon sedan.
Many fond memories, she had the Blue 144 cubic inch motor with 2 speed auto column shift.

Mine had a white body with a grey pillars and roof though....the bonnet emblem was a quite distinct Falcon in flight position laying down flat and it was chrome...I noticed that it is missing on the XK in the Photo.

I was the third owner of the car, my Father purchased the XK in 1967 second hand as our Family car, which he passed on to me in 1974 when he purchased a new XB Falcon Wagon. (yep we was a Ford family)

I remember at 60 mph you could kick her down into first gear, she would scream momentarily then go back into second gear again.

Vacume operated wind screen wipers where a hassel under acceleration in the rain however

Great Car had a lot of fun as a youth in it...(especially at the Narracourte drive in...sigh...those country girls where fine)

Cheers all
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #71
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
Mine had a white body with a grey pillars and roof though....the bonnet emblem was a quite distinct Falcon in flight position laying down flat and it was chrome...I noticed that it is missing on the XK in the Photo.
Wow, that sounds like a rare colour combo, dont recall ever seeing that one. I'm pretty sure the flying Falcon may have only been on the Deluxe models, and may have been a dealer option. Does anyone know for certain if this is the case?

BTW, here's another photo of that exact XK in the original post, but at the Melbourne Motor Show this year (sorry if it's a bit big, couldn't be bothered resizing!!)

EDIT: Resized image - it was WAY too big

Last edited by draxx; 26-06-2009 at 10:06 PM.
draxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #72
prydey
Rob

why is it that every time there is some sort of milestone, everyone wants ford to build some sort of 'super' model.

so what if it just gets a badge and a few extra options. the more they do to it, the more it will cost. the more it costs, the less they sell. they have to weigh up cost of options against a reasonable sale price.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #73
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
We have got the right boss at Ford Australia now. He won't miss an oportunity like this............
Agreed. He's on the ball for sure!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #74
Thankfull
Banned

I was looking through some old family photo albums....and came accross the sole surviving photgraph of our Familys XK Falcon, that would later become my first car as a teenager.

The Photo is circa 1967...black and white, unfortunately picture quality was not as good back then as it is these days....
I had forgotton that she had a metal Sun Visor....

and of course our Family Falcon today circa 2009....

Cheers all
Old 27-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #75
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
could bee a good marketing assist.

"Falcon, Australias own for 50 years, overtime has gathered wisdom to become australias greatest, with world class handling and safey, with 5 stars, an true blue first. the competitors are younger, but only one has been in a family for half a centry. And with world class engines and design, Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?"
I don't think that would fly. Australians know the Holden is older than the Falcon, regardless of the branding.... Commodore, Kingswood, Torana, FJ whatever. I think they should/will just focus on the Falcon pedigree, without bringing the competition into the equation. Flag waiving is always going to be difficult when the Ford name is so strongly associated with the US and it's namesake while Holden established it's claim way back when Chifley gave it the nod with federal funds in ~1945.

Maybe a special blinged up, GT rebadged the "Raptor"..... "Untethered, menacing and celebrating fifty years"
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #76
Thankfull
Banned

The Falcon performance pedigree is the way to market the Ford for sure.

Back in the early 1970s Holden backed off in V8 form at the race track altogether they could not compete with the money Ford was spending to develope the GTHOs

The bean counters at Chrysler where in the same financial boat as Holdens back then.

We are so lucky that Henry Ford the 2nd was a Rev head, his open cheque book policy about doing what ever is required to out bore and out stroke the competition...on every platue...saw some fine beasts emerge from the Ford stable.

And as for Holdens backing off in V8 form in 1971....Ford sold every GTHO Phase III at a loss....all 300 of them, because back in those days the Classes at Bathurst where decided on Price.
They sold the Phase IIIs in the same price class as the Torana UX1, Ford where not even going to allow Holden to claim a class Win at Bathurst....even if they had to sell every phase III at a loss.

Would we all Like Ford Australia to get that seriouse again eh!

Cheers all
Old 28-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #77
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The July issue of Wheels Magazine has an interesting story regarding the possibility of a return of the GT-HO badge in the next couple of years - could be a nice way to celebrate 50 years!!!

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/In_the_M...late=domWheels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FG-GTHO.jpg (55.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #78
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Ford Australia celebrates 50 years at Broadmeadows

Quote:
Ford Australia celebrates 50 years at Broadmeadows

September 8, 2009 by Matt Brogan

Past and present employees recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of Ford Australia’s Broadmeadows Assembly Plant.

As part of the celebrations Ford held a week long celebration which culminated in a lunchtime sausage sizzle and display of historical photos and vehicles built over the last five decades.

The 10 longest-serving Ford employees in Australia were on hand to cut an enormous birthday cake surrounded by their peers, family, friends and various Ford car clubs.

When the Broadmeadows Assembly Plant opened in August 1959, it was the largest post World War II manufacturing facility in Victoria. Today, as the plant celebrates its 50th anniversary, it remains at the heart of Ford Australia’s operations.

Also known as the birthplace of the Falcon, the plant saw the first XK Falcon roll of its production line in June 1960, launching the longest continuous model line in Australian motoring history.

In its first year of operation, the facility assembled 45,022 vehicles.

It was also one of the world’s most diverse assembly operations, building 41 different models of vehicles including seven tractor models, six types of trucks and 18 passenger models ranging from the tiny Anglia to the huge American Fairlane Ranch Wagon.

In 2009, the plant continues to produce some of Australia’s most popular vehicles, including Falcon sedan, Falcon Ute and Territory.

Ford recently announced an additional $230 million investment for the vehicles produced at Broadmeadows, which are expected to increase their appeal and drive additional volume through the plant.

“The Broadmeadows plant has been a well loved icon in Australia’s auto industry,” said Ford Australia’s president and CEO Marin Burela.

“Our exciting range of new engines to make Falcon and Territory cleaner and greener will improve fuel economy and reduce emissions, while continuing to deliver comparable levels of performance.

“These significant changes will attract new customers to the Ford brand, which will ensure the Broadmeadows plant remains a strong part of our future in Australia.”
Old 31-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #79
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0331-rctk.html

Quote:
Half century celebrations for Ford Falcon

TOBY HAGON
March 31, 2010

Ford is gearing up for a range of limited edition models to celebrate the 50th anniversary milestone for the Falcon large car.

Ford’s Falcon large is only months off celebrating a milestone no Australian-made vehicle nameplate has achieved – its 50th birthday. And Ford is planning to celebrate the occasion with a range of limited edition models expected to bring additional features and special pricing.

Ford is planning to celebrate the occasion with a range of limited edition models expected to bring additional features and special pricing.

The Falcon notches up its half century on June 28. The original Australian-made XK Falcon rolled off Broadmeadows production line in Melbourne’s north in 1960.

While other models – such as the recently-discontinued Ford Fairlane – have been on Australian roads for longer, they’ve included imported versions. The Falcon is the longest running nameplate on an Australian-made vehicle.

Ford is believed to be working on a range of limited edition Falcons, which will wear a logo featuring the falcon bird that inspired the name for the large car.

"There is no doubt that Falcon has been a true icon of the Australian motoring scene since 1960," said Ford Australia marketing, sales and service vice president Beth Donovan.

While Falcon sales have been declining for a decade – like its main rival, the Holden Commodore – Donovan said new engines aimed at reducing fuel use and environmental impact would renew interest in the Falcon over the next year or two.

“Falcon has a history of being first to market with a wide variety of technology and safety advancements,” she said. “We will continue that tradition in the next 12-18 months with the introduction of an all-new liquid phase injection LPG system and the world's first rear-wheel-drive EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine."

Ford isn’t detailing what extras the limited edition 50th anniversary Falcons will have, although obvious extras include styling tweaks such as new wheels as well as technological additions such as Bluetooth.

Ford will also hopefully fit the potentially life-saving side curtain airbags it still controversially offers as an option on many models.

Donovan said "2010 is a very special year for Ford in Australia”.

"In addition to celebrating the 50th birthday of Falcon, we are also marking our 85th year as a company in Australia."
The 50th anniversary logos are designed to blend the Falcon heritage with future designs.

"We wanted to recognise the heritage in the original Falcon motifs of the early sixties, but it was also imperative that we created a new design that reflects the contemporary and dynamic vehicle that Falcon represents today and will tomorrow," said Donovan.

It hasn’t been an easy ride for the Falcon, with the last decade seeing it battle a downsizing shift towards small cars and crossover-style off-roaders.

Only last week Ford announced it would kill off the Falcon wagon, replacing it with a diesel version of the European-made Mondeo that brings fuel economy benefits with similar space.

Only two years ago the Falcon-based long wheelbase Fairlane and its more luxurious LTD cousin were axed due to sluggish sales.

Ford also controversially dropped the V8 engine option for much of the 1980s, giving the performance high ground to rival Holden. Ford has since doubled efforts to reinstate the V8; an all-new 5.0-lkitre V8 – nicknamed Coyote – is due on the Falcon within months.

However, Ford helped kickstart a new category, too, with the Falcon-based Territory off-roader being a sales success since its arrival in 2004. It was the first soft-roader of its type to offer a two-wheel-drive variant, designed for those who want the 4WD look and practicality but without the associated hardware that adds weight, in turn increasing fuel use.

Rumours continue about the future of the Falcon. As with all Fords around the world the Falcon is set to be impacted by the “one Ford” policy, whereby a single type of each vehicle is produced for global markets.

Various options are on the table, including Ford rebranding the US-made Taurus as a Falcon. This option would see the Falcon switch from its traditional rear-wheel-drive layout (long seen as a staple of locally made large cars) to front-drive or possibly all-wheel-drive.

Another option is that Ford Australia secures enough interest from other large car-loving markets – including the US and China – to build a business case for another all-new generation Falcon beyond 2014.

The Falcon could also potentially utilise the rear-drive Mustang sports car underpinnings as the platform for a future model, in much the same way as the Commodore’s rear-drive architecture is employed by the Chevrolet Camaro.

Ford says it doesn’t have to make a decision on the Falcon until 2012.
Old 31-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #80
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wonder when the 50th Aniversary models will be released??
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #81
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Wonder when the 50th Aniversary models will be released??
Early 2011?
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #82
Ford PR
Starter Motor

Default Falcon soars in anniversary year

Sorry, I can't figure out how to attach a Word doc or an image so i can't attach the 50th anniversary logo we just released, but here's the text of the media release that just went out...

FALCON SOARS IN ANNIVERSARY YEAR

The legendary Falcon will soar again during 2010 with the release today of a commemorative logo to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Falcon cars in Australia.

Inspired by the original Falcon bird logo from the early 1960s, the new logo will feature prominently across a range of product and celebratory activities during 2010.

"2010 is a very special year for Ford in Australia," said Ford Australia Marketing, Sales & Service Vice President Beth Donovan.

"In addition to celebrating the 50th birthday of Falcon, we are also marking our 85th year as a company in Australia."

While Ford vehicles have been sold in Australia since 1904, the company was officially established on March 31, 1925. Production of the first Model T Ford began at the company's Geelong plant three months later.

Falcon, the longest-running nameplate in Australian motoring history, will enter its 51st year on Monday June 28 – 50 years to the day after the first Australian-built XK Falcon rolled off the production line at Ford's manufacturing plant in Broadmeadows.

"There is no doubt that Falcon has been a true icon of the Australian motoring scene since 1960," said Donovan.

"Falcon has a history of being first to market with a wide variety of technology and safety advancements. We will continue that tradition in the next 12-18 months with the introduction of an all-new liquid phase injection LPG system and the world's first rear-wheel-drive EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine."

Ford Australia Design Manager Todd Willing looked to the past to create the commemorative new logo.

"We wanted to recognise the heritage in the original Falcon motifs of the early sixties, but it was also imperative that we created a new design that reflects the contemporary and dynamic vehicle that Falcon represents today and will tomorrow."

Key anniversary dates

Ford Motor Company of Australia officially established – March 31, 1925
First local production of a Model T Ford – July 04, 1925
First I6 engine produced at Geelong engine plant – April 29, 1960
First Falcon (XK) produced at Campbellfield manufacturing plant – June 28, 1960
First Falcon (XK) on sale – September 14, 1960
Ford PR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #83
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Happy birthday old girl.

EDIT: Ford PR, where is the media release hosted? I can't find it on the interweb :-|

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #84
Outback
Banned

Thats pretty good considering the All Aussie Falcon is only 38 years old XA was the first.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #85
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Happy birthday old girl.

EDIT: Ford PR, where is the media release hosted? I can't find it on the interweb :-|

Falcon Soars in Anniversary Year - Ford Australia
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #86
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
Thats pretty good considering the All Aussie Falcon is only 38 years old XA was the first.
Good - now tell me.. which one is the first ALL AUSSIE Commodore?

Last edited by Ghiadude; 31-03-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #87
HSE2

I think this is where you will see XR50.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #88
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/63149/fo...s-50/#comments

Quote:
Ford Falcon turns 50

March 31, 2010 by Alborz Fallah

If there is any car that is instantly recognized as an Australian icon it’s the Ford Falcon. 2010 marks the model’s 50th anniversary and to celebrate, Ford Australia is releasing a commemorative logo to pay homage to the original Falcon bird logo first seen in the early 1960s.

Ford will place the logo across a range of its products as well make use of it for celebratory activities this year.

“2010 is a very special year for Ford in Australia, in addition to celebrating the 50th birthday of Falcon, we are also marking our 85th year as a company in Australia.“ said Ford Australia Marketing, Sales & Service Vice President Beth Donovan.

The very first Ford was sold in Australia in 1904, however it wasn’t until March 31, 1925 when Ford officially established itself in the country. The very first Ford to be made in Australia was the famous Model T which started life at the Geelong plant.

Although the rivalry between Ford and Holden continues even today, the Falcon takes the honour of being the longest-running nameplate in Australian motoring history. The model will enter its 51st year of production on Monday June 28.

Ford fans would know the very first Australian-built Falcon was the XK which rolled off the production line at Broadmeadows.

“There is no doubt that Falcon has been a true icon of the Australian motoring scene since 1960. Falcon has a history of being first to market with a wide variety of technology and safety advancements. We will continue that tradition in the next 12-18 months with the introduction of an all-new liquid phase injection LPG system and the world’s first rear-wheel-drive EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine.” said Donovan.

Some important anniversary dates for Ford Australia.

* Ford Motor Company of Australia officially established – March 31, 1925
* First local production of a Model T Ford – July 04, 1925
* First I6 engine produced at Geelong engine plant – April 29, 1960
* First Falcon (XK) produced at Campbellfield manufacturing plant – June 28, 1960
* First Falcon (XK) on sale – September 14, 1960

Click here for Ford Reviews. Or read about the Ford Falcon .
Old 31-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #89
STHSV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
Bud Tingwell will do for the falcon what Barry Humphries did for the avalon, I think Eric Bana would be much more suitable

plus Bud Tingwell is dead, that can't help either.
STHSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #90
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback

I have this to say..

I'm waiting to see your other Holden fan mates post soon.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post