Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #61
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No rear doortrim lighting on ANY BA/BF or FG. No door pockets in the rear of FGs...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #62
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Yes you are right, the Fairlane has the wagon rear doors. How about the AU-BF rear doors opening far less than a EA-EL SWB sedan? Ford and their thinking :(

Yeah they fixed that with the FG (due to people not being happy with it).
Old 30-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #63
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of general things.

Manual wind back seats as opposed to the leaver. Different makers have introduced the leaver some still use the manual wind back. The leaver is so easy to adjust your seat back, the wind back seat is just plain annoying.

Seatbelt warning alarm. On the VE Calais this alarm is like fingernails down a blackboard. Ford Territory a little less annoying. Sometimes you want the engine running and aren't going anywhere ie parked on the fence at country footy, raining, need the wipers on.

The sound of a real metal door closing on an x series. No modern day car can beat the solidness.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #64
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Yeah but at the time your XY needed a service every 5000kms, retune, plugs and points every 10k, valves adjusted every 15k, new rings at 100k (if lucky)
Plenty of cars ran alloy heads and cast iron blocks with little trouble, before your XY ever existed too.
i still can't get over the fact you think any xy needed its valves adjusted at any point, they all had hydro lifters didnt they? =self adjusting
Old 15-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #65
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

My Galaxie is definitely a quieter, smoother ride compared to my AU. No creaks, no rattles and no road noise. The seats are "plusher", & sit lower. And placement of switches on dash are better on the Gal. To the AU's credit, the AC fans are stronger.

All in all, id rather be back in 1970 driving the Gal from new, given its nearly 40 years old and still drives this great is impressive.

x2 on the solid doors, I love it, closes first time everytime with a solid reassuring click. This might sound strange, but does anyone else get the "old car" smell? its not an odour or anything foul, but every one ive sat in has it. I actually dont mind it.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #66
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

people keep saying these.

Vision.
ZC/D fairlane. You can see all 4 corners and the car dropped off square from there. No need for parking sensors. ZA/B close second.

Also my ZA front seats used to pull forward, drop the back flat and join with the rear seat to make a bed. Handy when your 19.

Sound.
Old school V8's - I will work out how make my TS50 sound like one day. It's a windsor after all.

Chrome
It looks cool.

Bits & Pieces
No footrest - removed to help imporve crash rating, :
Lights in doors
Rear windows that go all the way down
Options (except for BMW who excel at this. I don't think they have 2 car the same for years)
Groovy trim colours Red/Blue/White
Solid black, non mettalic, paint.

Things I don't miss
Having no real braking ability
Power steering with the feel of a video game
Rust
wipers that are there for decoration
Lucas electrics (Lucas- Prince of darkness)
Old 16-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #67
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I've got so many.. But I'll just quickly add, before I go to sleep, any one complaining that their boss or efi Windsor doesn't sound like the good ol' days of Clevo goodness, just remember we have ADR's, emissions controls, sound control laws and you're all too old and deaf to hear the cars of today anyway ;)

I'd like to see better mechanical quality in things like diffs, gearboxes etc. The ZF should fix any complaints but at the moment unless it's high performance you have to option it up. Diffs? Don't know about the quality of FG but seriously....if the 9inch was so good 20,30,40 years ago, surely in this day and age ford could manufacture something similar in strength for their cars?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2009, 04:13 AM   #68
mrniceguy

Arent alot of cars these days built out of a steel that real hard to weld, coated with a compond that releases cyanide when heated and glued together at the seams??
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post