Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #61
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have recently been shopping for a RAV4 V6 (new or used) for the wife. I was initially dreading going to all the yards as I hate having to fend off 50,000 salesmen as soon as you set foot on their turf when you just want to check out the car first (at least that was my experience when I bought my first new car in 2003 - a BA).

Well I have to say I was expecting even worse this time around given the sales slump - but I couldn't have been more wrong. Went to four seperate Toyota dealers and also tried out some competitors - CX7, Territory ect. and spent 99% of the time being ignored. We are a youngish couple (late twenties) so maybe they thought we didn't have the money, I'm not sure, but we have cash ready to go, no loan even needed and we were dressed well enough (several times I was wearing a suit as I went straight from work).

We went to Mazda first - "sorry sir no CX7's here to drive" me "can you get one in?" him "oh they are very rare at the moment, dont think so". So walked.

Then went to Ford to drive a Terry - couldn't get served at all. Ignored so we walked.

Then went to two Toyota dealers - couldn't get served at all so once again walked.

Ended up going home scratching our heads, me thinking maybe they are short of staff with the financial crisis. So I went on the net and booked test drives through their websites - one each for Ford, Mazda and Toyota.

After 1 week a guy from Mazda head office calls and states "So how did you enjoy your testdrive sir" - me "well no one has called me yet for one..." "Oh so sorry I'll fix that for you". Two days later local Mazda calls and books in a date for a drive. When we get there they are nice enough, we go for a good drive ect, but they are very condesending. We got annoyed that he asked about 3 times "do you know how much a CX7 is sir, they are not cheap". - I was thinking... mate why would I waste my weekend driving it, if I didnt have the money to buy it (well it probably involved a lot more swear words but you get the drift).

Its 2 weeks later and still no call from Ford or Toyota about our supposed "booked test drives". So we ended up going back to Toyota this weekend off our own bat and demanding a drive. Very uninterested salesman at first dealership goes "sorry no RAV4's here but you can take a Kluger". Throws us the keys and tells us to take our time (he dosn't want to go with us). So we went for a drive, it was very good actually, came back, give back the keys and he basically said "how'd you go" we said "good, but we still want to drive a RAV sometime" him - "yeah I have no idea when one will be in", didnt offer to take our number and call us or anything - I HAD TO ASK HIM FOR HIS CARD!

Next Toyota dealer did have some RAVs, we took one for a drive came back to the dealership - wife loved it, probably would have bought one but he didnt want to engage in price negotiations, seemed too busy and uninterested, once again I asked for HIS card not the other way round.

So in the end still sitting on our money, still no RAV4 for the wife and very puzzled why these guys dont want our money. What financial crisis?

Sorry for the long post.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #62
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
sounds good, the wife said i can update the ute next year if im a good boy. i actually looked at a territory at your yard when i was looking for one but it was only a 5 seater, damn..
Did youtalk to anyone? That car was here for ages. We ripprd up some money there

Cheerz,
Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #63
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I have recently been shopping for a RAV4 V6 (new or used) for the wife. I was initially dreading going to all the yards as I hate having to fend off 50,000 salesmen as soon as you set foot on their turf when you just want to check out the car first (at least that was my experience when I bought my first new car in 2003 - a BA).

Well I have to say I was expecting even worse this time around given the sales slump - but I couldn't have been more wrong. Went to four seperate Toyota dealers and also tried out some competitors - CX7, Territory ect. and spent 99% of the time being ignored. We are a youngish couple (late twenties) so maybe they thought we didn't have the money, I'm not sure, but we have cash ready to go, no loan even needed and we were dressed well enough (several times I was wearing a suit as I went straight from work).

We went to Mazda first - "sorry sir no CX7's here to drive" me "can you get one in?" him "oh they are very rare at the moment, dont think so". So walked.

Then went to Ford to drive a Terry - couldn't get served at all. Ignored so we walked.

Then went to two Toyota dealers - couldn't get served at all so once again walked.

Ended up going home scratching our heads, me thinking maybe they are short of staff with the financial crisis. So I went on the net and booked test drives through their websites - one each for Ford, Mazda and Toyota.

After 1 week a guy from Mazda head office calls and states "So how did you enjoy your testdrive sir" - me "well no one has called me yet for one..." "Oh so sorry I'll fix that for you". Two days later local Mazda calls and books in a date for a drive. When we get there they are nice enough, we go for a good drive ect, but they are very condesending. We got annoyed that he asked about 3 times "do you know how much a CX7 is sir, they are not cheap". - I was thinking... mate why would I waste my weekend driving it, if I didnt have the money to buy it (well it probably involved a lot more swear words but you get the drift).

Its 2 weeks later and still no call from Ford or Toyota about our supposed "booked test drives". So we ended up going back to Toyota this weekend off our own bat and demanding a drive. Very uninterested salesman at first dealership goes "sorry no RAV4's here but you can take a Kluger". Throws us the keys and tells us to take our time (he dosn't want to go with us). So we went for a drive, it was very good actually, came back, give back the keys and he basically said "how'd you go" we said "good, but we still want to drive a RAV sometime" him - "yeah I have no idea when one will be in", didnt offer to take our number and call us or anything - I HAD TO ASK HIM FOR HIS CARD!

Next Toyota dealer did have some RAVs, we took one for a drive came back to the dealership - wife loved it, probably would have bought one but he didnt want to engage in price negotiations, seemed too busy and uninterested, once again I asked for HIS card not the other way round.

So in the end still sitting on our money, still no RAV4 for the wife and very puzzled why these guys dont want our money. What financial crisis?

Sorry for the long post.

WTF !!!!!! IS GOING ON HERE . is this an example of the next generation of people or something . PERHAPS you would 've had more uck by TXT.

ONE SOUNDS LIKE they need to strap a belt of TNT to themselves walk in with the TNT visable up to reception and say i woulkd just like to express interest in looking at perhaps driving and purchasing a vehicle . and i'm not in a great mood today so please be polite . !!!
( this is just a plain joke ) ARE you sure you werent trying to buy cars in pizza shops . ???
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #64
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Obviously it pays well to be a salesman.

I dread the bumrush the guy who just stepped into our yard approach too and prefer to seek a salesperson out when I'm good and ready to talk turkey. Others prefer to be bumrushed...

At least you've taken the RAV4 for a spin and it's preferrable for the wife. You can now probably start ringing around and negotiating on the phone and at least save some time dealing those financially well-off salespeople face to face.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #65
klink1313
Dain Bramaged

The way I buy my cars. 1st I have to be ready to buy. Ring up the dealer and tell them the car I am interested in and if I am comparing cars I tell the salesperson that I am comparing. I book in a test drive and tell them I want to take a test drive for at least 1 -2 hours. I tell the salesperson that need the time as I want to test in a variety of conditions e.g. city freeway back roads. It is a lot of money to spend and want to make the right choice. I have never had any troubles.

The salesperson never come with me as they can’t afford to be away for that length of time. The salesperson knows up front what my intentions are. I arrive at my appointment time and the car is ready so I don’t waste my time either. The salesman can continue selling and when I get back we talk. If I am comparing cars I move on to the next dealer (usually schedule for a drive 3 hrs after my first drive so I can do back to back comparisons over the same roads).

It’s all about setting and managing expectations so that everyone is clear about what you are doing.
klink1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #66
mad cow
blue oval addict

i was there for a while looking but didnt see the need to hunt down a salesman. i had to have a seven seater as i have 4 kids to ship around. otherwise at the time it would have been a goer.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #67
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

Idinnia Red wasnt it?

Cheerz,
Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #68
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Back in '03 there was a promotion where if you took a Ford for a test drive you'd score a 6 month subscription to Wheels magazine so I thought I'd do just that.

I walked in to Knox Ford in Ferntree Gully where I decided to test a BA XR6. I was just in it for the subscription and I could tell from the salesman's body language he knew too!! I would have been happy with a quick spin around the block. The salesman grabbed an XR6 brand spankers, it had only just come off the transporter and detailed, only 4kms on the clock. We drove off and the salesman gave directions. He explained they have a set route and it's over roads that will allow you to properly assess the car. He wasn't kidding, roughly 15km of hilly back roads out the back of FTG and towards Lysterfield. It was a great test drive and the salesman was very professional and patient, I felt quite guilty about wasting his time!!

I went home and crunched some numbers but at that time I couldn't do it. I swore after that not to go near any car yard unless I was in a position to buy!!

The relevance to the thread title - I was the annoyance!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #69
hdj80

Well

As a follow up in my difficulties in buying a new Ford.
Went in to Sunshine Ford (Gold Coast) and got treated very well.
Easy price negotiation with no running back and forwards even though my starting price was close to where I wanted to be and would take some work from them.

They aren't all pains in the ***. I'd happily deal with them again....however certain dealers in Brisbane need lessons on selling cars it seems.
hdj80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post