Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #61
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
So you dont like someones plates, big deal. I guess you dont like RIP HSV either?

no I dont, the letters "hsv" are for hsv's not fords. : If some people like to insult there car then so be it .sorry for getting of topic but I would never do this to my ford, I have to much respect for it...
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #62
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
a front end respray should never cost more than your excess
if you know what i mean
Then watch what your next years premium goes up to
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #63
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
sorry for getting of topic but I would never do this to my ford, I have to much respect for it...
Good for you mate, you are such a hero.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #64
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I have one for my falcon, although i've never used it persoanlly the guy who owned it before me did, only problem with it is water got stuck under it and left some little marks on it, i surgest taking it off once you no longer need it on there, apart from that i think they are a good idea on big road trips, only reason i never use it is because im in tassie and you cover the whole state in just over two hours lol!
Old 25-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #65
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well the fact is why bother with a car bra to protect your front end from a stone chip when you are more likely to get your whole side coined by wearing those plates,thats what is has to do with a car bra.
Because, not all people are as small minded as you as to think of damaging someones car because of the number plate.

It's all in banter and if you knew what some HSV owners have said about the plates you would reconsider your thoughts.

But then again you probably have to much respect for yourself to actually talk to those people :

Maybe I shouldn't wear this shirt either as it has the HOLDEN name on it.

Sorry for being off topic. But couldn't help myself.

Back on topic. I'm another one that wouldn't be without a car bra. 3 years old and not a stone chip in sight and after a trip, just give it a wash and hang it up and all done.

The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #66
Sparksy
I'm on a Boat!

I do heaps day and night country driving and when i got the front resprayed i was using a bra all the time. Then i got lazy and started leaving it off more and more. Now 40,000 km later the front looks like the sky on a clear night. Should have kept it on. I could kick myself.

It never scratched paint but would rub the shine off after a few months so a polish and wax is needed from time to time.
I know people that never take it off rain, hail or shine and even go through auto car wash joints with them. The do take them off and vacuum the under felt every so often.

I feel it also shows other people that you care that little bit more about your car than others and in turn they take more care when the are in it.
76 Celica Ra23 with Lexus 4lr V8, kaaz LSD, Quad piston RX7 front brakes.
1999 BMW 328ci, Topaz Blue, Manual, Sunroof.
Sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #67
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well the fact is why bother with a car bra to protect your front end from a stone chip when you are more likely to get your whole side coined by wearing those plates,thats what is has to do with a car bra.
Without the car bra then he may have stone chips and as you seem to assume, a keyed car. I don't think he would have a keyed car as a result of the plate, I think the HSV guys would even see the funny side to it. I know the Victorian HSV and FPVXR clubs get along very well and both have a good respect towards each other for the choice of brand they have made.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #68
fox270
The Fox

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising and running the AFF team at the Nulon national events. 

Quote:
no I dont, the letters "hsv" are for hsv's not fords. : If some people like to insult there car then so be it .sorry for getting of topic but I would never do this to my ford, I have to much respect for it...
It was a pic 4 the car bra not your comments on the number plate.
It's people like you that would coin or key a car if you feel so strongly about it. It's not your number plate so why worry about it.
Get over it.
Cheers

Rapid means fast..
F6

Oztek Performance
fox270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #69
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
refer to post 45, with the "IH8HSV" number plate, he might not have to worry about stone chips on his front end. He should be more concerned about the coin scratch we will probably get for having number plates like that on his car.I would never have the word "hsv" on my ford, ever...talk about asking for trouble. If I were this bloke I would be looking into a car bra that covers the whole car and especially that number plate :
nah i doubt that very much dave. every hsv/dunnydore owner that see's the plate has a chuckle and comments in a positive way on the plates, even the hardest holden fan.

its for sh&ts and giggles.
yeah i agree with fox270, no one would touch the car if they saw matt, he's huge and scary.
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #70
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you should consider what is more important. If you like to keep your car looking clean after long trips. e.g no stone chips & bug splatter, then you should get the car bra. It's not a beauty contest or Show N Shine, so regardless of whether any else thinks it doesn't look pretty it is not the point. If it was, then this thread would be called "Car Bra, does it make me look fat". If you are happy to do without the car for a week or so while the front gets resprayed due to excess stone chips, and are able to afford the costs each time of a respray, then forget the bra.

I have had a bra on my fibreglass front bar (when I owned the car), it has saved it from countless stone chips on long trips. It also save the front bar from a hit on several Galah's on a road trip to Adelaide, which i am sure would caused some damage to the bar itself. I never had a problem with scuffing or damage.

Car Bra's are there to serve a purpose and for a cost between $300 - $500, its money well spent. It's one cost, and 5 minutes to fit. And you never need to worry about resprays on the front, because it is well protected.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #71
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Thumbs up Car Bra

Thought id join in on this little discussion. I have a car bra for my FG, it comes out whenever I go to the next town or interstate. Yes it does look a little ugly though that is a small price to pay for a stone chip and bug free front. I live in the country and here the local roads have a lot to be desired, putting it bluntly they suck. And the amount of bugs are no better. Had the car for a little while and saw the damage that the stone chips were doing. Wasn’t impressed so i got the car bra, and haven’t looked back since. Some people have had wear problems with them. The biggest no no is to place the carbra on dirty paint or use a filthy car bra. As long as the car is washed and waxed and the carbra is clean on the underfelt side there will be no rubbing at all on the paint. Best thing is cleaning time is cut dramatically and no more touching up of the stone chips.
MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #72
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox270
It was a pic 4 the car bra not your comments on the number plate.
It's people like you that would coin or key a car if you feel so strongly about it. It's not your number plate so why worry about it.
Get over it.
Cheers
Its people like you that you that think and speak from your rear end. I would never damage anybodies car in anyway whatsoever so keep your verbal diahrea to yourself. and puety wants to call me a hero cause I have respect for my forty year old ford, so I assume that was meant in a good way, thanks mate. While many may look at these plates and have a bit of a laugh, there is always the possibility of the young, jealous one eye fan being stirred by it and maybe following threw,not everybody is a good citizen if you have'nt noticed. you all know that good cars seem to attract coin scratches not shitboxes,why attract more. While wearing such plates does show that you are a diehard ford fan which is something I respect and admire as I am one myself, It's just that I feel I would be putting my car at more risk which is something I just would not do. sorry for being off topic again ,have said all I have to say on the matter.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #73
fox270
The Fox

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising and running the AFF team at the Nulon national events. 

Yeah car bra is the go If you want to prevent stone chips and other comments off topic and about a car you don't own should be kept to themselves.

Rapid means fast..
F6

Oztek Performance
fox270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #74
Valid8
COOGES

Its a bit like wearing your best clothes to a party and wearing overalls on the way there.
Valid8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #75
IDT
Marko

Used to use one on my old AU until I pulled it off when I got home after a trip just to find somebody had stuck a 20 cent piece behind it while I was stopped somewhere. Have no idea when the coin was put there. Had to look at the damage until I could affort to get it fixed. So haven't used one since.

Because I don't think factory paint is what it could be, I have always planned a total respray on the Force 8, so not really fussed about chips at the moment.

All that said, if just driving point to point without being out of site of the car I would still recommend using a Carbra.
Old 26-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #76
Torquen
Ginja Ninja

nup, for show cars only imo. they dont scratch your paint though, to answer your question.
Torquen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #77
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i have stone chips on bonnet, windscreen ,roof ,doors ,sills,mirrors etc so yes it stops the front stuff ,cant hurt really.just not for me is all ,probably depends where you live as to how effective it will be .
Old 26-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #78
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

Got sick and tired of resraying front bar, (became as thick as tammy fayes makeup) bought a car bra and now dont have to worry.
Has not rubbed paint or custom stickers off.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #79
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dad has a car bra on his xr8, its painted in pearl with a full custom skirt kit, had no bug spats/chips BUT he parked a little too close and busted his front bar bad, so needed to respray it after fixing it anyway. Also on the bug splats if your car is polished and you use warm water and good soap 98% of bug crap comes off quite easily.

Off topic I have seen a sticker that reads "HSV I just beat one" - now THAT would get some negative attention, advertising the fact its faster than a hsv I wouldn't put this sticker on my car, looks almost identical to the "i just want one" sticker. In my experience holden/hsv fans are the most one eyed and fanatical of the two camps, angering them is ill advised imho.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #80
nfury8

Update, left bra constantly on for 8 days, Definately no stone chips where the bra was however did seem to wear a bit on the front wheel arches where it clips on. Another thing was very surprised to find that the headlights seem to have a plastic lens and the cover has left marks on both headlights, hopefully buff out though...hopefully.
nfury8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #81
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ido105
ahhh il go the car bra... your going on a long trip it and its not like the car is on show for 800km....save ur self spending half an hour washing the bugs out of every litle gap they get into to...
You can get the bugs off in half an hour? OMG TEACH ME.

I love my car...but I'm not in love with my car? Let the girlfriend wear the bra's.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #82
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELtim
You can get the bugs off in half an hour? OMG TEACH ME.

I love my car...but I'm not in love with my car? Let the girlfriend wear the bra's.
you want to get the bugs off in half an hour? using warm water helps immensely (I use as hot as my hands can take) kinda melts the bug *** juice off and you rub quite hard, helps if car has been polished prior the bug *** doesn't stick to the polish as good as it does your paint.

hope that helps

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #83
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfury8
Update, left bra constantly on for 8 days, Definately no stone chips where the bra was however did seem to wear a bit on the front wheel arches where it clips on. Another thing was very surprised to find that the headlights seem to have a plastic lens and the cover has left marks on both headlights, hopefully buff out though...hopefully.
it would help if you had a second hand pair of headlight covers to go under the car-bra,as the plastic of the car-bra will scuff your headlight surface.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #84
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
Nah, done 2 resprays @$1200 a time on the T3 over 3yrs, far better being a dag and wear a bra. Never a hassle to put on or off much like the mrs's ones great investment if your a fuss pot like me and I'm sure many others on here.

Had one on the XR8 before plenty of country road work trips, in ****ing rain plenty of time rounding up semis with the muck they fly up, never a mark on the paint and save heaps of time cleaning the car again without the countless bug splats apart from the side mirrors.
$1200?
For a front bar? Should cost more like 3-400 mate.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #85
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno where you guys live but you must have good roads. I've never gone more than a week on a new windscreen without a new chip in it. And stone chips...... I've got more of them than paint. I've have a failure if I had to worry about paint on a new car
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post