Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #61
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Default Re: When for Everest ??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post

I don't know how you can say confidently that the Everest will **** all over the Prado when details on the Everest aren't even out.
Search some of Simons earlier posts and see what he has been doing for the last few years,
I for one hope he's right, I want one!
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Prado is already a great vehicle and as such Ford need to look at it and tackle it head on, why on earth does it sell so damn many, I'm sure Ford have their blinker's on all the time.
Prados are ok, but I wouldn't buy one.
I have drove about 200,000kms in various Prados(Previous model and current) and never had a problem, but they have not amazed me either.

We have the GX and they don't have many features for a $60,000 car.
They are work vehicles and After 2 years and 330,000kms when we sell them, they still drive like brand new.
In my 200,000 odd kms I have never had a problem except for the inner guard falling partly off and rubbing on the tyre. That's happened on at least 8 of the cars out of the 30 odd Prados we have gone through.

The previous model were pretty gutless, but the current shape are little bit better. Have to say they are very fuel efficient in the diesel.
Most of ours average 8.4 -9.2L/100kms spending majority of time on the New England "highway" between Newcastle and Musswellbrook.
We thrash them on road and on some pretty rough dirt tracks,and they still go strong.

You are paying for the Toyota name. Reliable, but pretty plain and lacking of features unless you overpay for the top spec.
The recent facelift looks completely stupid.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #63
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Prado is an outstanding vehicle to me, I have been and driving a few and they are no Falcon but they are not a family sedan either, but comparing them to other's in the segment they are outstanding and very well optioned, there's more value in a GXL Prado then there is in a Territory Titanium in my eyes anyway, for people that are after different thing's then fair enough but for people that are after a fair dinkum 4x4 and family vehicle then you can't go past the Prado as an option and Ford need to look on this with the Everest.
Huh?

I'm not sure where you're seeing the greater value in the Prado GXL versus the Territory Titanium (and I'm not even sure why the Territory comes into this anyway), but if you're looking at specs and equipment then the Territory Titanium trumps the Prado, and the Tez isnt $68K on the road

If it was purely the 4x4 angle you were looking at, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a far greater value offering than the Prado and has a far more modern powertrain.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #64
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
The Prado has a 150L fuel tank, you do not need to fill both tank's separately they are connected so the full range is 150 litres.

I don't know how you can say confidently that the Everest will **** all over the Prado when details on the Everest aren't even out.

Toyota has established a relationship with private buyers in this country with the likes of Hilux and Prado there is no denying that, I am not talking about fleet/company vehicles here I am talking about the private segment and it is going to be a long time for Ford to build the relationship that Toyota has as they sat on their hands for to damn long.

He works for Ford...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #65
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow is this Toyota Forums? Some of you think the Prado is the bee's knees for off-road. In all honesty, it wouldn't be hard for the Everest to match or better it. I have driven the Prado off-road and my friend's crappy old Navara did better. The Prado has a rear limited-slip diff, as does the Ranger, so I am sure the Everest will too, standard suspension provides limited off-road ability (and will be the case for the Everest too). I bet you their off-road capability will be so close it's not funny. You will get a much better engine in the Everest though. Want to improve off-road ability? Improve the ground clearance, articulation, tyres, and add Aussie Lockers or Powertrax No Slip lockers to the rear (and up front if it's part-time 4x4, which you shouldn't do in the Prado).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #66
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the big appeals of the Prado is its massive range, something the Everest doesnt look like it will match. I also just noticed you can get a larger sub tank for he Prado which increases total fuel capacity to 223L. Or nearly 3000km range.

Offroad ability often is more about the driver than the vehicle.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #67
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Resale on Prado is also crazy good. Still such a vanilla thing though and Territory still better at everything apart from off-roading.
Old 21-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #68
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our Prado has 2 x 90L tanks, when you fill the tanks the effect is like towing a trailer and fuel consumption suffers.
Admittedly its an 04 model and has less power but I wouldn't get caught up over fuel capacity. as most of the time you wont fill them up.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #69
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Do you really need a range of 3000km? Surely a few jerry cans for the odd occasion would suffice?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #70
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Do you really need a range of 3000km? Surely a few jerry cans for the odd occasion would suffice?
Thats fine for a ute, but you dont exactly want to carry fuel inside the vehicle.

Old 21-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #71
Blueford260

The worst part about 3000KM between fills is it would take most people to long to use the 200 odd liters of diesel and they would start getting algae problems and then injector problem. It’s more a gimmick then an actual necessity for most, if you can drive more than 8 hours without needing a toilet brake and a stretch and while your at it grab some fuel than hats off to you
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #72
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueford260 View Post
if you can drive more than 8 hours without needing a toilet brake
Toilet brake? Is that for this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toilet trike.jpg (13.1 KB, 44 views)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #73
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Thats fine for a ute, but you dont exactly want to carry fuel inside the vehicle.
There are other options but then I wouldn't need 3000km range.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #74
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The worst part about 3000KM between fills is it would take most people to long to use the 200 odd liters of diesel and they would start getting algae problems and then injector problem. It’s more a gimmick then an actual necessity for most, if you can drive more than 8 hours without needing a toilet brake and a stretch and while your at it grab some fuel than hats off to you
If you are towing a caravan around Australia I imagine 200L might come in handy...

Anyway im not saying the Everest should have 200L or even 150L, but 120L would sure be good to have.

If you are towing and consuming 12+/100km, 80L is fairly inadequate in this country.

Last edited by XR Martin; 21-03-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 21-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #75
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Huh?

I'm not sure where you're seeing the greater value in the Prado GXL versus the Territory Titanium (and I'm not even sure why the Territory comes into this anyway), but if you're looking at specs and equipment then the Territory Titanium trumps the Prado, and the Tez isnt $68K on the road

If it was purely the 4x4 angle you were looking at, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a far greater value offering than the Prado and has a far more modern powertrain.
RRP for the Titanium Territory is $63240 v's RRP $64190 for the Prado GXL, not much of a difference there, and for starters the Prado GXL give's you something that you and I have been begging for in the Territory, keyless entry/start, it also offer's more airbag's for 3'rd row rear occupants, a real 4wd against a softroader they both have their plus and negatives I am not denying that.

But if it were me I'd want more then what the Territory has to offer at the moment for the asking price, IMO it's the Territory Titanium that is over priced and not in the league.

I am not at all interested in anything from Jeep Chrysler as a personal view only, they have nothing on Toyota when it comes to 4wd/reliability.

Plus it's not all about the gadgets that manufacturers offer these day's now is it, as I do believe you have been very vocal in this statement about how not only the Territory but Falc stack up against others or lack there of, you bought a Territory Titanium as it is good and reliable did you not ?, not because it lack's all the gadgets of something like a Hyundai Santa Fe etc,
Well I would rather a Prado for that same reason, they are as tough as nails and reliable and will take me to the track's where I want to go.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 21-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #76
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
So you'd rather have that fuel sit in a tank at the servo going stale that you know nothing about how long it has sat there for ?.
Yeah people never get stale fuel from servo's do they ?.

The distance thing that people are failing to realise here is the fact that people that want larger tank's are people that want them for a reason, like long distance touring / 4wd etc, and who want's to carry smelly jerry can's full of diesel in the cabin when you can have 150 + Litres in the main tank and get you to your destination.

The less time I spend at a servo the better I think.
Old 21-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #77
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
RRP for the Titanium Territory is $63240 v's RRP $64190 for the Prado GXL, not much of a difference there, and for starters the Prado GXL give's you something that you and I have been begging for in the Territory, keyless entry/start,
Keyless entry is great. I love just touching the door handle when carrying stuff and having the door unlock.
But I hate the push button start.
Sure it's easy to jump in and press start, but it's annoying when you are just sitting in the car waiting. You have to cycle all the way through the whole 'off' 'acc' 'on' cycle all the time. So much easier to just turn the key instantly to where you want it.

I like the idea of a big fuel range, but I'm pretty sure I would buy the Everest over the Prado even though the Everest is not even for sale yet.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #78
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant beat a Toyota

I'm actually more interested in the MU-X at the moment as sad as that might sound to some
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #79
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Keyless entry is great. I love just touching the door handle when carrying stuff and having the door unlock.
But I hate the push button start.
Sure it's easy to jump in and press start, but it's annoying when you are just sitting in the car waiting. You have to cycle all the way through the whole 'off' 'acc' 'on' cycle all the time. So much easier to just turn the key instantly to where you want it.

I like the idea of a big fuel range, but I'm pretty sure I would buy the Everest over the Prado even though the Everest is not even for sale yet.
I just hope they put some thought into making Everest a decent vehicle in 4wd situation's just as the prado is, if Everest ends up like the Explorer we had here years ago then I believe it won't cut it against the Prado or anything Toyota has to offer.

They need to take the segment by the horn's and run with it, people just need to look at the aftermarket area and see what people/bussiness prefer to focus their expertise/research on, ARB for example has exploded in their market share in recent year's, I should know I have shares in them, but their product range is very much heavily involved with Toyota product's.

Anyway I am not against Ford here all I am saying is they should look at Toyota and how they have made a reputable name and follow suit, build a decent 4wd that will demand the masses.
Old 21-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #80
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the Ranger is as good as anything offroad (only the Range Rover beats its wading depth) so I dont see why the Everest wouldnt be.

Old 21-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #81
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I'd burn that much in two days easy touring up north, you obviously have not towed or done 4WD driving!!!

PS: Bit hard finding fuel stops out on the goat tracks.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #82
Blueford260

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I'd burn that much in two days easy touring up north, you obviously have not towed or done 4WD driving!!!

PS: Bit hard finding fuel stops out on the goat tracks.
I live in the country brother and do around 1000km a week so know a bit about it. But I'm also not that stupid to think that because I need it Ford should make it standard, I go hunting a lot but don't expect Ford to make a spotlight through the roof as standard or even a option that's why there is after market suppliers, look up ARB got heaps of stuff you can put on ya 4wd. My point is that like 90% of all 4wd sold will not see a dirt road let alone a trip around Australia. You can't expect a Ford to design a car to suit the minority of buyers
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #83
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I live in the country brother and do around 1000km a week so know a bit about it. But I'm also not that stupid to think that because I need it Ford should make it standard, I go hunting a lot but don't expect Ford to make a spotlight through the roof as standard or even a option that's why there is after market suppliers, look up ARB got heaps of stuff you can put on ya 4wd. My point is that like 90% of all 4wd sold will not see a dirt road let alone a trip around Australia. You can't expect a Ford to design a car to suit the minority of buyers
Does not have to be standard but could be optioned by Ford like a lot of other options that are available.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post