Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #61
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

man the au is sexy :P

give me a BA anyday

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #62
b2tf
not here much anymore

All semi nude and ugly people aside, the AU door is the same as the BA one, it was carried over, so theoretically there should be some way to mount the trims but I wouldnt bet on it - would be too easy.

The seats I agree with but GR8WHITE the way you have done it is rather illegal. You cant modify seat rails or their mounting points at all - if you do, you need an engineer's cert.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #63
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WITE
The seats will go if you modify the rails if your handy around power tools and the like. I was the same like AU dash just wanted the seats, I disagree with a few in here (wearing flame suit) the AU XR seats are a pretty S$#%house bit of gear compared to the seats in my wifes XR6, so I went and got me some BA XR leather and cloth then fitted them.

Fitting BA seats to AU it took me roughly 6 hours with a bung back and blew up one drill in the process. Get 4 bits of 50mmx8mm flat bar cut to 440mm the measure up bolt holes from floor of the AU, mark and drill (thats how I blew my drill up),then you have to modify the BA rails to sit flat on top of the bar that you just made then drill/bolt or weld them to the flat bar and there you have it BA XR seats into AU. With a good drill and physical fitness can be done in a few hours maybe 4 IMO.
Thanks for that GR8WITE i'll be looking for BA XR seats now. Maybe you post this up on the aufalon.com if you havn't already.
Cheers Mark
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #64
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
The seats I agree with but GR8WHITE the way you have done it is rather illegal. You cant modify seat rails or their mounting points at all - if you do, you need an engineer's cert.
Not being a smartass b2tf but what mods have you done to your XR8, do you have an exhaust? if so illegal. Do you have any engine mods, cam, tune etc illegal. As I stated in another thread I thought it might be illegal, but any modification you do to your car, exhaust,cam,tune etc is illegal. I will probably do it again the right way, I'll use my old AU seats have them pulled down and use the BA bolster padding and retrim them, the BA seats are in nice and tight and they don't slop around at all and the jacks probably wouldn.t even notice I've changed, but that doesn't mean I want other people to do it the way I have hence why I haven't made a how to thread on it.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:16 PM   #65
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Not being a smartass b2tf but what mods have you done to your XR8, do you have an exhaust? if so illegal. Do you have any engine mods, cam, tune etc illegal. As I stated in another thread I thought it might be illegal, but any modification you do to your car, exhaust,cam,tune etc is illegal. I will probably do it again the right way, I'll use my old AU seats have them pulled down and use the BA bolster padding and retrim them, the BA seats are in nice and tight and they don't slop around at all and the jacks probably wouldn.t even notice I've changed, but that doesn't mean I want other people to do it the way I have hence why I haven't made a how to thread on it.
:P I hear you there... and if you look very closely at all the legalities involved with the our cars... every single car is illegally modified... as fuel and oil for example cannot be modified... yet we refill them with new fuel :P
Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #66
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are the differences between AU and BA/BF front seat rails. Do they have a different mounting point or how they are attached to the seats. Is the floor a different shape? Could either the AU rail be modified to fit the BA seat or the BA rail modified to fit the AU floor?
Just another question,are FG seats mounted different than BA/BF?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #67
fordon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.giles
which would you choose now?
Ive got a BA and the Interior is no way as good as that

Last edited by b2tf; 08-08-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: don't need to quote pics
fordon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #68
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordon
Ive got a BA and the Interior is no way as good as that
Yeah but she would be even better if she gave up smoking...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #69
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

oops... double post
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #70
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
What are the differences between AU and BA/BF front seat rails. Do they have a different mounting point or how they are attached to the seats. Is the floor a different shape? Could either the AU rail be modified to fit the BA seat or the BA rail modified to fit the AU floor?
Just another question,are FG seats mounted different than BA/BF?
BA rails don't fit AU and vice versa, the AU seat frame and rail is pretty much all in one when you unbolt it the bottom part of the seat comes off not the rail. BA rails unbolt from the seat and the BA mounting points are a lot different in the floor shape from the AU. It can be done and the seats mounted sufficiently to the floor but as seen in this thread legalities become a concern.

My advice if you or anybody reading this in interest of putting BA seats in legally is to get a motor trimmer to pull both sets of seats apart and use the side bolster and seat on the AU frame, and then do the same for the backseat as the backseat doesn't fit either, any good motor trimmer should be able to do this and then its legally done.

As for FG seats wouldn't have the foggiest and would dread to think how much the seats would actually cost...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #71
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
I dont think youre being a smartass, and no offence taken. As for my car - full exhaust, lowered, big brakes, the engine is basically gutted and rebuilt - and none of it is engineered. My point was that out of all of the things mentioned here, and your seats, which do you think insurance would arc up about first if someone was injured in an accident? Do you think they would be more interested in your exhaust or the fact that your seat rails have actually ripped out of the floor in an accident? Im not suggesting thats what will happen, my point is just that you should be a bit careful with that sort of thing.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #72
Fireblade
Wizard Member

yeah cool point taken and understood, I have done a few seat conversions in my time and IMO this one is the best one i've done, I for one would not want to drive it with the seats this way if I wasn't 100% sure they were safe and secure, seeing as I used the original floor mounts in the car I think they should be alright.. But as I said in a previous post I recommended doing it a different way which is what I'd probably will do myself soon, at the time though I needed new and more supportive seats for my back which is why I have done it this way for the meantime.. Anybody comes up with easier ways to do it and legally please share those ideas because I and plenty of other people would like to know..

Cheers B2TF for the concern..

PS. Too anybody thats thinking of doing the seats the same why I have please read this thread before going ahead and doing so, just so you know the full story to it all because what b2tf has written is a big point, it is not legal to do it this way, and I will not accept any responsiblity for somebody doing it the same way and having any legal problems associated with it, as with anything on this forum if you modify your car in any way you accept the legal and safety ramifications if there is any..
Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #73
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see it the other way the BA interior looks like shite all plasticy even in the high series. the appeal of the B series is more in the drive train not the crappy interior

Quote:

which would you choose now?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by b2tf; 08-08-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: dont need to quote pics - and im sick of that ugly bird staring at me
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #74
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i luv my AU interior, just wished i had leather, and a sunroof.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #75
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Have to agree with that bar seats and gauge cluster, I like my AU dash it has nice smooth lines and the door trims are better than the BA but the seats have much better support and look to them.. Thats comparing apples with apples as in both the AU and BA XR series, but the dash cluster in the BA XR is awesome just needs a couple more gauges that the AU XR has..
Old 08-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #76
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Have to agree with that bar seats and gauge cluster, I like my AU dash it has nice smooth lines and the door trims are better than the BA but the seats have much better support and look to them.. Thats comparing apples with apples as in both the AU and BA XR series, but the dash cluster in the BA XR is awesome just needs a couple more gauges that the AU XR has..
Get a T series dash - best of both worlds - AU style, but lights up blue.

The only thing I would change about my interior is that Id like the seats to be a bit more supportive, and a sunroof, and red leather, and ummmmmmm :
Old 08-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #77
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Each to their own... but i still want the B-series dash, centre console and door skins... inwhich i will modify all of them
Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #78
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Get a T series dash - best of both worlds - AU style, but lights up blue.

The only thing I would change about my interior is that Id like the seats to be a bit more supportive, and a sunroof, and red leather, and ummmmmmm :
Where do you get T series dashes from? and what are they worth?

I am looking at a gauge insert with either ford racing on them or just XR8 but if I could get T series for a decent price..........
Old 08-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #79
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:

I am looking at a gauge insert with either ford racing on them or just XR8 but if I could get T series for a decent price..........
T-series is basically the Fairmont dash, but the woodgrain is recoloured...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #80
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:

T series copy masks come up on Ebay all the time
Old 20-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #81
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

some one is currently selling this on good old ebay... just wondering if anyone ahs actually tried fitting BA seat covers to AU seat... might give a few things a go tomorrow... (misses has a BA monty) might see what part will fit eg just spaping headrests etc...
(there asking $450 which is more than a complete set of seats sell for...)

oh i have the rear power window parts ... i ended up getting 2 rear window regs and all 4 BA looms (from reg/switchs to cabin) so ill have the right connection for the window switches but ill have to modify from window loams to H loom in from and create a loom to run to the rear...
Cheers Cam....

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #82
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
T-series is basically the Fairmont dash, but the woodgrain is recoloured...
T1/T2 had fairmont dash T3 had XR style dash.
Old 20-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #83
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Nice work Cam... I am starting to look around for some BA gear... might have a full hand brake system coming... so i can figure out how to adapt it... got some info on how to convert the auto shifter to tiptronic... and now to find a dash and door trims at the right price.
Old 20-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #84
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
some one is currently selling this on good old ebay... just wondering if anyone ahs actually tried fitting BA seat covers to AU seat... might give a few things a go tomorrow... (misses has a BA monty) might see what part will fit eg just spaping headrests etc...
(there asking $450 which is more than a complete set of seats sell for...)

oh i have the rear power window parts ... i ended up getting 2 rear window regs and all 4 BA looms (from reg/switchs to cabin) so ill have the right connection for the window switches but ill have to modify from window loams to H loom in from and create a loom to run to the rear...
Cheers Cam....
To me, you could use that gear, have your AU seats rebolstered to suit, and then legally have "BA" seats in your AU.

Not at $450 though!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #85
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
To me, you could use that gear, have your AU seats rebolstered to suit, and then legally have "BA" seats in your AU.

Not at $450 though!
I agree... thats way to much to pay just for those peices of cloth :P
Old 25-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #86
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

now the iv pretty much got the doors sorted out im going to see if i can fit the BA center console and maybe even the icc (not functional) into the AU dash...

wont be able to use hacksaw as ill just be "borrowing" the parts from the misses BA mont...

Cheers Cam...

Was

Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 14-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #87
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

the seat covers are down to 280 with no bids... just working on some speaker holders atm... have done my clutch in so wont be able to convert the rear to power windows for a few weeks yet...

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 14-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #88
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Well done... i'm working on my wheels and sourcing bodykit parts atm... hence why i havent kept this up-to-date :P
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #89
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

made some speaker surrounds today... so this is pretty much one finished door trim (minus the extra power window switch...)

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #90
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Going to merge the styles together in the long run?