Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #61
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vanman was on the money about usual trip lengths. If you do big k's, even though they are getting better, a small car will still annoy you after a while.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Fords, but I doubt I would get a new one for a while. My old BA XR6 was a great car, and purpose built for what I used it for - long distance work, but the Ford sales and servicing 'experience' did succeed in selling me other brands of cars. If you turn cars over in anything less than 5 years depreciation will also be a huge factor and probably your biggest expense. This is where the Falcon will be at its biggest disadvantage.

As for the 'girl' car, 'boy' car BS, I don't buy that crap. Buy what you want, like and love driving. Its for you, not anyone else. Who cares about what image you project - not me, look at my signature. I love driving them all. If some 'real man' in a 78 series cruiser ute or a bock stock VN with 18in chromies on the front and 15in steelies on the back thinks I am less of a man for driving the Mini cab, then good on them. Chances are I am having more fun. I don't care what they are driving, and if they enjoy it, great cause that is what driving for me is about. And a car is instrumental in that process. Some of the best fun I have had was at a track day sharing a mate's stock...... XC Barina SRi.

You should have nothing to prove but your love of driving. If your circumstances suggest a Lancer would be the best for you, and you like it. Get it and enjoy it. As others have said though, check the relevant forums though to check that the driving enjoyment wont be diluted by issues with it.

If I was doing the same driving I was in 2004 when I got the BA, I would probably get the FG though - through a buying service and get it serviced at a good independent mechanic.

Last edited by Pinch; 04-11-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #62
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

alright if u want a smaller funner car

u should look at a new WRX...lighter car SYMETRICAL ALL WHEEL DRIVE which means better handling, control and on the plus you could probaly come into turns faster and still control the car, it's well balanced so u don't get body roll.

now with 195kw over the 169kw which it currently has, manual to boot.

The new model comes out in december with options of leather, sunroof, satnav, sedan or hatch.

PM me if you want a brochure I could send one out to u.

Cheerz,
Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #63
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH!TEY est:1991
alright if u want a smaller funner car

u should look at a new WRX...lighter car SYMETRICAL ALL WHEEL DRIVE which means better handling, control and on the plus you could probaly come into turns faster and still control the car, it's well balanced so u don't get body roll.
Just about every review I've watched/read of the new WRX suggests that it handles like crap, especially compared to the latest EVO.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #64
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

go and search for you man hood, then take a look at a FG XR6T!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #65
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Just about every review I've watched/read of the new WRX suggests that it handles like crap, especially compared to the latest EVO.
I dont actually think it is fair to compare the new WRX with the EVO. The new Subie is a road car. Its a lot softer ( compared to the first rex or the EVO), more refined, user friendly than the EVO which is a no compromise race car with a reg plate.

Mitsubishi have recognized this as well with the release of the this ralliart lancer, which is priced right in the WRX ballpark and looks to offer similar levels of performance and refinement. I would say that this is where they are aiming this new model.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #66
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i mean just buy 1 of each. i got me 4x4,bike, cruiser ,and zippy town car .then you only have 2 decide what you feel like doing !
Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #67
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Maybe take a visit over to some Mitsi Forums and have a good read about any issues actual owners are having with them before you buy.
I work at a Mitsu dealer. The only paint issues I can think of was with some 380s.

Other than that, Mitsus are quite decent. Thats why they have 5/10 warranty.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #68
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Front end looks like a wombat!!! Dont do it
pitpal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #69
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Yes it is.
Girl's car (note sarcasam):
After being used to commos/falcons as cop cars, that thing looks TINY and PLASTIC. It's like a toy version of a police car!

That said I do like the front end and proportions of the new lancer, much more aggressive and purposeful. But the back end is something else, I think they got lazy with the rear for both the hatch/sedan. Very bland and uninspiring. Especially that hideous 'supercheap' spoiler on the hatch.

Just test drive the lancer, see if it does it for you. Because in the end (if you like how it looks) it comes down to you in the car, THAT is the deciding factor; not us.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #70
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
I work at a Mitsu dealer. The only paint issues I can think of was with some 380s.

Other than that, Mitsus are quite decent. Thats why they have 5/10 warranty.
Yea ... millions of unhappy and irate customers all around the world "cant be wrong eh"

Dont even begin to talk about Mitsi warranty, as mentioned prior I had a Mitsi VRX, I actually tried out a couple of claims using the "BIG Sales pitch 5/10 warranty" ..... personally I found it not worth the paper it's written on!

I for one, and millions of others out there I can assume ..... "will never own another Mitsubishi vehicle ever!!"
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #71
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Yea ... millions of unhappy and irate customers all around the world "cant be wrong eh"
I wouldn't say millions - just you and a few others. It hasnt been a major issue on either Aussie Magna or Mitsubishi owners club, only paint problem I can recall was a storm coloured 380 VRX.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #72
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

mm ralliart for sure mate... AWD with an incredible tranny... why not?

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #73
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
i have met 2 male lancer drivers...they were both chinese though
ROFLMAO
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #74
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munroman
ROFLMAO
What was so funny?
Wretched is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #75
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I wouldn't say millions - just you and a few others. It hasnt been a major issue on either Aussie Magna or Mitsubishi owners club, only paint problem I can recall was a storm coloured 380 VRX.
A FEW OTHERS?

I'd give this debate up right now if I were you mate .... I'm afraid your on a "dead set no win situation" with this one.

http://www.mitsubishisucks.com/
Old 05-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #76
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Mate, I wouldn't rule out a Euro Hatch like the Golf GTI
Seconded.

Have had mine for two years now and my BA XR6 doesnt hold a candle to it in any area... slower in a straight line, slower around corners, sloppier, and a lot less comfortable long-hauling (did 14hrs in the GTI without a prob... wished I was dead after 7hrs in the BA).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #77
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the new Lancer EVO looks awesome. Tell me what chicks you see driving REAL evo's? I don't mean 1999 lancer GLi's with a dodgy body kit. I would suggest at least driving an XR6T before you make a decision. Everytime I see even a new shape VRX on the road it turns my head. They look great in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #78
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
I think the new Lancer EVO looks awesome. Tell me what chicks you see driving REAL evo's?
I saw a real cute Asian chick driving a real EVO IX... like Miss Daisy.

Did I mention she was real cute. ;)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #79
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

David Twomey over at Caradvice seemed to like the Lancer Ralliart

http://www.caradvice.com.au/18074/20...t-first-steer/

Fair bit of info as well regarding the Ralliart from our American Cousins over at EvolutionM Forums

http://forums.evolutionm.net/forumdisplay.php?f=266

Last edited by robjh80; 05-11-2008 at 09:29 PM.