Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
next question . ' I HOPE THE TESTS ARE MULTI LINGUAL ?
And I hope they are not.

If you cannot read and understand ENGLISH then how can you navigate, read road signs or understand road warnings?

Australia is an ENGLISH speaking country, if you do not want to learn the language then you are just a visitor.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #62
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one has a fully mature brain or bosy at age 18, but that doesn't mean it's not close enough to drive a car. It's not that hard of a skill as far as things go, not at legal speeds. The problem is the kids aren't raised to respect the dangers and other peoples lives and property. I'm sure plenty of 13 year olds would be safe driving a car if they could see out of the things, but there's also alot of 20 year olds getting around that will never match a good 13
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #63
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Not here, but we need one.

Seems not in the US either, I mean Schwarzenegger is governor of california :
aint that the truth!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #64
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
This would be one of the last things id suggest, lack of training isnt the issue, bad attitude and behaviour is....

Norm, should I read that literally?

Driving training, advanced training was the posters suggestion, would be that far down your list?

To be honest, this direction worries me a little, psycho assessment. I agree with the intention, but I do wonder about the ramifications. Most of which, I have not thought of.

Have you?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #65
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Psyche maturity testing will never come in, as will proper driver training. Too many dumb people vote- remember that half of the population has an IQ below 100! Too complicated, too many variables, too expensive, to hard. Instead we will have slower speed limits and higher fines - easy, makes money, provides a good continuous income stream, appears to be doing something while it is not. Perfect for politics.

I think i would fail a maturity test at 36 years of age....especially after my IQ test came back negative!

+ 1. Agree 100%

Me too on the maturity test mate, infact, most reckon I'm getting 'worse'......

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 15-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #66
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Norm, should I read that literally?

Driving training, advanced training was the posters suggestion, would be that far down your list?

To be honest, this direction worries me a little, psycho assessment. I agree with the intention, but I do wonder about the ramifications. Most of which, I have not thought of.

Have you?
No not really...
Tex, my point is driver skill training is pointless if the driver has a poor attitude on the road first.....
I fully support education of driver skills, but not ahead of promoting and encouraging correct attitude and behaviour on our roads first and foremost....

Old 15-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #67
Force6

If people support brain maturation requirements for driving, would they also support a new method of brain testing for insurance? Would you support it if you were a 60 year old man who had never committed a driving offence nor caused a collision in his life who was now told that he was a risky driver and would have to pay higher premiums? Would you support this scheme if you found out your son - the most responsible young man you've ever known - supposedly had an inadequately mature brain to be allowed to drive, when one of his friends who you know is a serious troublemaker and risktaker has a perfectly matured brain?

Individuals, especially adults and almost-adults, have the capacity, right, and responsibility to make their own choices.. this kind of dodgy faux pre-cognition is ridiculous and an untenable foundation for proper public policy.
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #68
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
No one has a fully mature brain or bosy at age 18, but that doesn't mean it's not close enough to drive a car. It's not that hard of a skill as far as things go, not at legal speeds. The problem is the kids aren't raised to respect the dangers and other peoples lives and property. I'm sure plenty of 13 year olds would be safe driving a car if they could see out of the things, but there's also alot of 20 year olds getting around that will never match a good 13
No disrespect greenfoam, but if "it's not that hard of a skill" why are so many people getting it wrong and ending up in pine boxes?
I do agree that kids aren't raised to respct the dangers and other peoples lives and property to certain degree.
I for one, am all for any test ,training, restriction, or law, that keeps more of our kids alive on the roads
Old 15-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #69
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This will never happen, it's discriminatory and the testing could flow on to being denied access to a number of issues that require a mature brain.

EG: Job applications, the right to vote and sexual consent to name a few.

(The right to post on a forum)
Love your humour,falcon coupe
Job applicants who were actually suited to the job...
Informed voters actually casting responsible votes...
Couples actually contemplating the outcome of their sexal activites....
Jockey rides honest race???
Old 15-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #70
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
No not really...
Tex, my point is driver skill training is pointless if the driver has a poor attitude on the road first.....
I fully support education of driver skills, but not ahead of promoting and encouraging correct attitude and behaviour on our roads first and foremost....
Thing is, the ramifications, 12 or 18 months down the track, what this assessment ends up getting used for, potentially, and the precident set, warrants thinking about, considering to the fullest extent.

Maybe my own position, "hope", or trust in the notion that proper car control education, with the underlying intent to teach kids proper car control, and the 'safe' execution of being out of control..... will weed out the no hopers. If their attitude stinks in this environment, don't privilidge the tossers with a licence.

Anything in that?

That level of training would cost a bomb, delivered to every 'would be' driver. Me thinks, no gommit has got the balls to actually commit, its far, far easier, cheaper, to dumb down the driving laws, lower the speed limits, change the P rules, or introduce a pysch test. My guess, the pysch test will be a popular postion

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 15-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Thing is, the ramifications, 12 or 18 months down the track, what this assessment ends up getting used for, potentially, and the precident set, warrants thinking about, considering to the fullest extent.

Maybe my own position, "hope", or trust in the notion that proper car control education, with the underlying intent to teach kids proper car control, and the 'safe' execution of being out of control..... will weed out the no hopers. If their attitude stinks in this environment, don't privilidge the tossers with a licence.

Anything in that?

That level of training would cost a bomb, delivered to every 'would be' driver. Me thinks, no gommit has got the balls to actually commit, its far, far easier, cheaper, to dumb down the driving laws, lower the speed limits, change the P rules, or introduce a pysch test. My guess, the pysch test will be a popular postion
Yes i do agree we risk creating a precedence for discrimination and a divide between the dumb and smart, rich and poor, haves and have nots....
No system or idea is perfect.

Old 15-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #72
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This will never happen, it's discriminatory and the testing could flow on to being denied access to a number of issues that require a mature brain.

EG: Job applications, the right to vote and sexual consent to name a few.

(The right to post on a forum)

I would say that job applications voting and having sex should be as difficult to access as a drivers licence as i know plenty of people who shouldnt be doing any of these things.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #73
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
No disrespect greenfoam, but if "it's not that hard of a skill" why are so many people getting it wrong and ending up in pine boxes?
I do agree that kids aren't raised to respct the dangers and other peoples lives and property to certain degree.
I for one, am all for any test ,training, restriction, or law, that keeps more of our kids alive on the roads
But the thing is the people crashing are taking it beyond what it needs to be to drive from point A to point B. Doing that isn't hard, take your time dont' get angry don't do it when you are drunk or tired and you have a good chance of never having a crash in your life
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #74
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
But the thing is the people crashing are taking it beyond what it needs to be to drive from point A to point B. Doing that isn't hard, take your time dont' get angry don't do it when you are drunk or tired and you have a good chance of never having a crash in your life
That's why they are crashing! It is a little more difficult than doing what you need to do to get from a to b. You can get away with "stupid" a lot of places, but I reckon if you are not 100% in control in a car ,you are out of control.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #75
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
And I hope they are not.

If you cannot read and understand ENGLISH then how can you navigate, read road signs or understand road warnings?

Australia is an ENGLISH speaking country, if you do not want to learn the language then you are just a visitor.......
Thats true, I remember when I did my Ls test that Vic Roads was bragging about the test being in so many different languages, but what language are the roadsigns in?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #76
stang65
FPRJET

What a joke phsycology, stupid if you ask me. These people are just making stupid choices or taking risks. It has nothing to do with there mental capability, just lack of respect for their`s and other peoples lives that makes them take risks.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #77
prydey
Rob

ok, lets say this system gets in. dumb johnny goes to get his licence and is rejected because apparently he's not mature enough. who really thinks that will keep him out of a car.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #78
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ok, lets say this system gets in. dumb johnny goes to get his licence and is rejected because apparently he's not mature enough. who really thinks that will keep him out of a car.
Academics, rabid car hating road safety zealots, senior "police" who have never actually worked outside a desk management position, political media tarts......

Basically all the same people who are responsible for the convoluted ineffectual knee jerk responses that are forced upon us as "legal solutions" to societal issues that could be solved or at least lessened if we were not so restrained by being "politically correct" all the time.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post