Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #61
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGODRIVEN
what annoys me the most is im yet to come across a AUSTRALIAN FLAG that is made in AUSTRALIA . I think it is pretty disgusting that we import our nations flag

:
Very much agree. I was in an office the other day and the guy had an "Australian" aborignal pen. Still in it's case like it was some very rare special pen. Turned it other, "Made in China". WTF!

Thinking to myself, maybe it's just the case, we took the pen apart and just underneath the first part it was "Made in Tawain".

.... Do we get anymore UNAustralian?

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #62
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Or unless you are talking about what the flag represents like we are. Doesn't matter what it looks like, just what it represents.
And there will be a 100 different opinions on what that is.

I am just sick of people throwing around "thats what the diggers fought for".

Unless you are a digger yourself, don't be putting words in a diggers mouth. THAT is a greater degree of disrespect than what you do with a piece of fabric
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #63
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Speaking of which. anyone watch today tonight about the officer bashed leaving him with permanant injurys, The purportrator.. a big "tough guy" wearing aussie flag shorts,

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25

Last edited by XA_GT351; 26-04-2009 at 11:55 PM.
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #64
wsfiesta
Starter Motor

I think its highly disrespectful to wear the flag as a cape. We get it, your Australian, like everyone else here. And why is it that we are the only country to put our flag on everything? Im just as Australian as the next bloke, but it makes me cringe when i see it on boardies, tatooed all over people and on beach towels. Just my opinion
wsfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #65
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Need to remember they don't teach tradition or respect at school anymore.
Don't generalise....

The 2 school captains at my school know what it means if the flag touches the ground while in the process of adding, raising and removing the flag from the pole.

When I was a youngin in scouts and venturers these valuable lessons were taught to me, and I make it a point to pass it on to my kids.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #66
Hords
Treasure your balls?

What a passionate thread. We all pride ourselves (very much) as being Australian yet so many differences of opinion. As for my 0.02c...

Wrapping, caping should only be done at a time of national achievement. ie putting our great nation on the stage in times of recognition.

Pauline Hanson should of been jailed for replicating this.
Old 27-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #67
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Yeah o.k. maybe all my years as a scout and an army cadet taught me the flag was to be respected. If it were to touch the ground we were to burn it (never happened).
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Ghia
Unfortunately our national flag and the Southern Cross have been hijacked by nationalist thugs, as their skewed racist symbols.
Pretty much. Yet these are the same people that talk about Australian values. Didn't know you had to be racist to be Aussie.

Either way give it till June and people will be on the lets change the flag bandwagon.
Old 27-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #68
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i generally associate flag wearing with yobbos but not everyone is
another way of looking at it is would you go to your AFL or NRL teams grand final wearing casual clothes or team colours? its a show of support and pride, just like displaying the flag. as for face painting, id say this is a better idea than flag wearing as it doesnt come with the ****ed yobbo image lol

does anyone remember when kid rock cut a hole in the american flag and used it as a t shirt? he copped a fair bit for that one
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #69
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a fan of it at all...

Even the southeren cross tattoo's and stickers on cars.

I love this country to death, i can understand australia day with the flag wearing to a degree, but it is kind of a bit much on ANZAC day IMO... Especially as a cape............

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #70
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Another vote hear for not wearing the flag as a cape.

I was a Cub, Scout and Venturer and we understood the respect needed when we handled the flag.

I do however have a few caps with the flag on them.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #71
BlackLS
yum

I dislike people wearing an actual flag, except in times of natiional achivement, only then by a respected ambassador for the country ie Gold medal Olympian. I'm not bothered wearing clothing with flag pattern printed on it, but I can't think of anything that needs more respect than the flag.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #72
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It's not so much the wearing it part that people take issue with. It's the disrespect that is shown by some to the flag by sitting on it, dragging it and acting like a general tool whilst wearing it.

That is not what the ANZAC's fought for.
i couldn't agree more, loving your country is not something you have to do in everyones faces anyway. True gratitude is shown in respect, admiration and in service amongst other things. Not in getting blind drunk while rolling around with a flag on your back.
It annoys me especially when people turn it into a 'patriotism contest' like im more proud of my country than you are.... what the hell is with that anyway?

on a side note, i was once abused on australia day for wearing a sombrero, apparently this fellow thought it was un Australian... though i'm quite sure the spanish made a decent contribution to australia's heritage
Old 27-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #73
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I always thought that the ANZACS fought under the British flag, part of the greater British Empire, do what you ike with the flag just dont burn it, i think some of you ppl are sending out the wrong message to all the young kids out there that WEAR and PARADE the flag with pride
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #74
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
ALL people should be made to read this before they decide to wear our flag as an article of clothing.

http://www.flagaustnat.asn.au/protocol.php

Great link.
Wearing the actual flag in my eyes is wrong.
Wearing something that depicts the flag is fine.
But the flag itself should only be used for it's intended purpose.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #75
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont agree with people wearing the au flag as a cape

this is the sort of debate that is good for people

clothing ect that has the flag printed on it is fine in my books

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #76
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
What a passionate thread. We all pride ourselves (very much) as being Australian yet so many differences of opinion. As for my 0.02c...

Wrapping, caping should only be done at a time of national achievement. ie putting our great nation on the stage in times of recognition.

Pauline Hanson should of been jailed for replicating this.
pauline should be jailed for be pauline
Old 27-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #77
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember they tryed to ban people at a big day out from doing this ,haha ithink 90% showed up with them
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #78
IAM58L

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Mont
To me it's fine under the right circumstances worn by mature people.
When it's worn by dumbass, immature, excessively drunk, shirtless bogans on a day that has nothing to do with Australia or it's history, then it becomes disrespectful and uncalled for.

You can tell whether someone is bearing the flag for true pride or just to be loud and seek attention, the difference between the two is clear.

Got it in one El_Mont couldn't have put it better myself cheers for saving me having to type it in.
IAM58L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #79
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
And that would be your opinion just like mine.
I can't help it if you have no respect for the Australian flag and make me fill sick. Are you also one of those people that leaves the Australian flag out at night, or hangs it vertically with the Union Jack in the top right corner?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #80
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I can't help it if you have no respect for the Australian flag and make me fill sick. Are you also one of those people that leaves the Australian flag out at night, or hangs it vertically with the Union Jack in the top right corner?
I agree with BJ - in my opinion, I impart no disrespect to the flag whilst I wear it on Australia Day. Call me a bogan or yobbo, I don't care. It's the one day I wear the flag as a cape, and I wear it with pride.

I also march with my grandfather and family on ANZAC day every year, and I do so proudly.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #81
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly, i can't see a problem with people displaying our nations flag in any way they feel, The flag represents the freedoms we have and we have the choice to display it on cars, tattoos "capes". whichever. I dont think that having aussie flag boardies is wrong or disrespectful, but then if i see someone purposely disrespecting a flag then yes i will fire up.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #82
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
The flag represents the freedoms we have and we have the choice to display it on cars, tattoos "capes". whichever. I dont think that having aussie flag boardies is wrong or disrespectful
To you maybe thats what it means, the ability to wear a flag is certainly not a freedom anyone i know would fight for, more likely they fought for freedom from oppression and foreign rule.
The whole argument about not wearing the flag is based around giving the flag, and our national identity, dignity and respect. It isn't some item of clothing. It's the right and privelege of every australian to fly the flag. And by fly i mean properly display, as it is a privelege to display it.
Old 27-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #83
StarDeala

For all here, this is provided on the GOVERNMENT website, so it is all protocol.

Our Flag

As a proud Aussie, I have no problem with people wearing the flag on days of national importance, but it should be done with the respect due it, being a symbol of our nation.
across the shoulders, with the union jack over your left shoulder, so it should appear as it would if flown from a pole... AND NEVER to touch the ground.

Same as all those disrespectful people that talked during both Anzac services I attended, morning and 11 am, should have a good hard look at whether they are there for the importance of the occasion, or just to show face.

Lastly, for those that dont follow the link, did you know we have a National Flag Day
"Australian National Flag Day was proclaimed on 28 August 1996.
Australian National Flag Day celebrates the first time the flag was flown on 3 September 1901.
Australian National Flag Day in 2001 marked 100 years since the flag was first raised. A re-enactment ceremony was held at the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne. The Prime Minister was presented with the Centenary Flag at this event.
Australians can celebrate Australian National Flag Day by flying or displaying the Australian National Flag on 3 September." as per link.
StarDeala is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #84
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
does it annoy you when people do?

This has come up because watching the news last night I was disgusted to see people at Gallipoli with the aussie flag painted on their faces and wearing the flag as a cape as if it were some sort of party. Personally I can't stand people who do this.
Personally I can't stand people who can't stand people who do this. Be Aussie and be proud of it - it's better than the alternative, which is to come to this country and keep all the customs, language, "laws" etc of the "old country".

Nothing wrong with kissing the coat of arms when you get a ton, nothing wrong with draping a flag when you've just won the olympic 400m, and nothing wrong with the average Aussie covering themselves in a flag or 7 to show their pride.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #85
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Nothing wrong with kissing the coat of arms when you get a ton, nothing wrong with draping a flag when you've just won the olympic 400m, and nothing wrong with the average Aussie covering themselves in a flag or 7 to show their pride.
Exactly. I'm an avid traveller, I just returned form 2 weeks backpacking in Pakistan yesterday evening.

When I travel, I ALWAYS pack 2 items... my Aussie flag beach towel and a tube of Vegemite. When I'm in the middle of nowhere, alone and cold I crack open some crackers, smear them with Vegemite, wrap the towel around me as a blanket and remind myself that there's no place like home ;)

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #86
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
The whole argument about not wearing the flag is based around giving the flag, and our national identity, dignity and respect.
Off on a slightly different tangent but all ties in.

........ we eat out coat of arms. Does that show dignity and respect to our country? Is the flag or the coat of arms more important in showing respect?

Nothing worse than being told on the correct way to show your patriotism. Isn't that a form of oppression?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #87
BFYOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Nothing worse than being told on the correct way to show your patriotism. Isn't that a form of oppression?
Exactly right mate, if your wearing the flag for no other reason than you love our great country, than good on ya. If you hang your flag over your door to your room vertically for no other reason than you like to see it before you go to sleep and when you wake up, then good on ya. If you've got tat's of all our symbols all over your body, simply because you love being an Australian, then my hats off to you.
If you wear the flag because you like to stick it up the other nationalities, and try to show them that they are not wanted, whilst getting boozed and making the flag look like a drunken joke, then your a turkey and dont deserve to see it ever again.
The biggest concern of our diggers is that ANZAC day will one day be forgotten, so they are full of pride when they see our youngsters out there supporting what they have achieved, and what they have given us, with flags around shoulders or not.
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #88
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
no one is telling anyone what the correct way of showing patriotism is, we're just giving an example of a poorly thought out way of showing it.
Just like using the southern cross as a racist symbol is a poorly thought out way of being patriotic. I was taught that respect was the way a man shows love for your country.
On yet another side note, i find it bizarre when you see people with the southern cross stickers on their car, but their car is japanese/european or another foreign brand. If you really were that patriotic and loved your country so much you wanted everyone to see, wouldn't you buy australian everything? It seems to me to be as much about being cool and fashionable to be seen with 'australiana'. We sound more and more like the yanks the more i think about it...

Last edited by xy500; 27-04-2009 at 03:53 PM.
xy500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #89
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
...................... We sound more and more like the yanks the more i think about it...
If we showed as much patriotism as the Yanks do .... is that a bad thing though? They drape the flag out of respect for there country ........ as what it represents, and are proud to do so. The flag is the identity of a country and the way people use it .... in a positive manner ..... shows the freedoms that are allowed in that country, and being proud of where they are from.

Burning a flag is the only thing I would get heated about as it represents only a negative connotation towards that country.

I still think there is a bit of Aussie Cringe left over from years gone by and people are too scared to show full on unadulterated patriotism because of the 'Australiana Cringe'.......... unless it's at a cricket match

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #90
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I marched on Saturday,saw kids, teenagers, adults,wearing hats with flags on them,flags draped around their shoulders,waving flags of all sizes, some even upsidedown(sp).All having a great time,showing respect to each other and the flag..Know what I did'nt see?? Drunken idiots,Aborigines,or peoples of other races..A shame really..A time and a place I say..
Just an observation..