Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #61
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: How to avoid salespeople games and nonsense when buying a new car

I've had no issues from Car Sales people for the most part. I know what I want, I know the specs better than they do and they know this and dont stuff me around. My local Ford dealership where I've been going to for years has always looked after me and sales guys there do a great job.

The tip of talking straight with the Sales manager is a good one if you can make it happen. Get them onside and the deal will happen the way you want it. Heck, I remember the dealer principal going to bat for me when the sales guy tried to get us to buy the wrongly ordered car in stock. Gave me a loan car till the next shipment!

The one time I went to another dealership, I got told not to over crank the EcoLpi as it could cause it to backfire (how someone doesnt notice that the FG's auto cranks is beyond me)!?! I didnt say anything. I did get a good deal on the car and simply smiled and said, "Sure thing".

Not the brightest some people and sales people take advantage of it. But hey, its worked for them previously, so why stop now? Heck, one bloke told me how he was sold a XR8 Turbo back during the BA days. He wondered why I didnt spend the extra over the standard XR8. Poor guy believed what the sales guy had said and was very sad when I popped his engine to show him the difference...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #62
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

My last purchase was easy.

Saw the car and had a look at it. Both the wife and I were happy. I had a changeover figure. The dealer came back with a trade in price which was about right (if anything it was better then expected....but you get that with a manual) and they asked me what we wanted to pay. I gave them my changeover figure. Then they played the I'll check with my manager game. But from my previous purchase were they were being a pain over $500 I wasn't going to tolerate that again. They tried a second figure and I respectfully told them that its my figure or not to worry. Sale was accepted 5 mins later. From now on this is my tactic. Done quickly, easily and no games. I'm always prepared to walk. This car was a stop off on the way home, the plan was to buy early next year but the price was good and the money was mostly there.....oh one tip if you can bring a child that you can get to cry on que it makes the walkout seem more legit (I didn't use this tactic but I had a newborn and was gonna leave as she was getting tired and cranky and the dealer needed to give me a decision).

One thing from this my changeover figure was reasonable for the car. I didn't try and scrape every cent as the dealer needs to make money. Also people need to consider the car they're buying a base model Focus has little in it compared to a top model Ranger/Everest.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #63
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
My last purchase was easy.
.................. I respectfully told them that its my figure or not to worry. Sale was accepted 5 mins later. From now on this is my tactic. Done quickly, easily and no games. I'm always prepared to walk.

One thing from this my changeover figure was reasonable for the car. I didn't try and scrape every cent as the dealer needs to make money
From the link I shared, you appear to have done exactly the right thing and ended up getting the result you wanted.
Tell them what you want and how much you're willing to pay (within reason).
If they cant (or pretend like they cant) do that deal, walk away.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #64
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTom View Post
From the link I shared, you appear to have done exactly the right thing and ended up getting the result you wanted.
Tell them what you want and how much you're willing to pay (within reason).
If they cant (or pretend like they cant) do that deal, walk away.
I've dealt with a few different Ford dealers and they're fine. One remembered the wife and I after 18 months (not that I care). I don't need them to woo me, just show respect and see if we can come to an agreement.

A Toyota dealer on the other hand. Pretty much complete a$$ to deal with.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #65
staity

My last car purchase was a breeze. Walked onto the lot to see what they had (i already knew what i wanted), and the sales guy came up to me asking how he could help. I questioned about the car i wanted, he said the guy running the Renault lot was away that day but he would take my number and get him to call me. next day get a call from the Renault sales guy and explained what i was after, not on the lot (i already knew that) but could order in. Asked about what deals they had and he told me straight up i had to act today to get the 1.5% finance they had on at the time. Told him t was too soon and i would wait to see what else popped up. He told me to ring on Monday as the new month started then and a new offer may be on the table. He couldnt tell me what it was as he didnt know at that stage. Monday rolls around so i go for a drive to the lot and meet the guy i spoke to, he looked on the computer and straight away told me i had perfect timing as the RRP had dropped $3k since the call last week. I said order one in blue and you got a deal. Simple, no games, no tricks and everyone was happy. Best car buying experience I've had.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #66
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Years ago wanting to buy first Falcon wagon,
found a good one, kept knocking his price down, he finally asked if I had a trade in, "yep, Mazda 929 wagon, 300k on speedo, been used to carry young kids around, and tow trailer with flagstone rock every weekend, usually overweight and down Willunga Hill.I need $500 and we sign". He agreed, we signed but he hadn't looked at Mazda. 2 days later I saw it been carried into Wreckers. But I was firm and got what I wanted, supposedly so did they.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #67
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
This is why they aren't selling the car for the wholesale cost they bought it for. This is the purpose of the retail margin. Show me another industry that charges an extra fee on top of the retail margin for having the item in store.

This is quality control. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to bare the cost of any quality defects that escaped the factory. Shipping damage is also not the customer's responsibility.

Yes, these things take time/money for the dealer to deal with. That's business. It should be factored into their retail margin, like any other overhead.
My original statement was with regard to purchasing a car that's not on site (or not even built) yet.

QA/QC - I suppose you could view the pre-delivery fee as an additional layer of QA/QC, an "insurance" if you like that any defects missed by yet another quality measure and picked up by yourself upon purchase becomes the dealership's problem, rather than a messy grey area between the dealership & the car maker which leaves the customer in limbo (& loses out).

The difference with vehicles vs other items in store is that they're not identical clones delivered wrapped in styrofoam & cardboard packaging, sitting in a storeroom awaiting purchase. They're quite often optioned-up after leaving the factory, meaning there's additional risks to blemishes, defects, damage from persons handling the vehicles in transit, and/or from persons fitting/removing components of the car to tailor it to the customers' requirements whether on-site at the dealership or off-site at a subcontractors'.

With regard to pre-delivery and an existing car on the lot, this could be contentious as you're buying as-is.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #68
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I've only ever bought one new car, the XR8. The first dealer outright lied to me the whole way along, and when I called him out on it, he denied he was in the wrong and that he hadn't promised a first allocation car. I asked for a refund of my deposit, and he wanted a copy of the contract to prove I was going elsewhere. Threatened to speak to his DP, got my money back same day. Absolute BS.

The second guy was slow getting back to me, but there was no BS. He could guarantee my colour and trans combo, in the first allocation, but couldn't help on the price (but did manage to get a full tank of juice and floor mats). I never pay full retail for anything, but they obviously have you on cars like this.

When it's time to buy my wife a new car, guaranteed I'll be shopping around and getting the best price possible.

To be fair, the XR8 required zero work from them as it was done over the phone, no test drive, no drawn out negotiations. Just get me the car I want for the agreed price, and happy days. Probably the easiest sale they ever had.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #69
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

1 phone call to another dealer saved me over $5k with my XR8 purchase. The first dealer got back to me to see if I was ready to order, so I told him I had a significantly better offer on the table, to which he replied that he would speak to his boss to see if he could do any better. He got back to me again saying that he was already at there absolute best price, and his boss doubted I was getting a significantly better deal. That night I signed and paid a deposit with the second dealer and now have my car sitting in the garage under a car cover

BTW, I never told my salesman about the other more expensive dealer.

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #70
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
QA/QC - I suppose you could view the pre-delivery fee as an additional layer of QA/QC, an "insurance" if you like that any defects missed by yet another quality measure and picked up by yourself upon purchase becomes the dealership's problem, rather than a messy grey area between the dealership & the car maker which leaves the customer in limbo (& loses out).
The TPA is quite clear on this - its the responsibility of the seller.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #71
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
1 phone call to another dealer saved me over $5k with my XR8 purchase. The first dealer got back to me to see if I was ready to order, so I told him I had a significantly better offer on the table, to which he replied that he would speak to his boss to see if he could do any better. He got back to me again saying that he was already at there absolute best price, and his boss doubted I was getting a significantly better deal. That night I signed and paid a deposit with the second dealer and now have my car sitting in the garage under a car cover

BTW, I never told my salesman about the other more expensive dealer.
I contacted every last dealer in Queensland for the first allocation batch, only 3 could meet my requirements in the first batch (and one was an outright liar). I could have waited a bit for subsequent allocations, but I got mine when I wanted it and have had a blast in it. Plus what I paid for mine was still less than most people paid for theirs at the time, so I feel I did ok.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #72
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see a lot of people saying " I will never pay retail" so please answer this, if all dealers quoted you the same price and no one would move, would you not buy the car? or if every dealer showed you exactly the cost price would you want it for that, dealer/sales person gets no profit, or would you at least offer the dealer a profit of some sort?
Old 05-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #73
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Perhaps I worded it poorly. What I meant by the customer losing out was they lose time waiting for their vehicle (rather than $/stuck with defective vehicle) whilst the dealership and manufacturer duke it out to determine responsibility between the two of them, prior to sorting the problem & delivering the vehicle. If the dealership performs an additional inspection - a service provided that takes time prior to delivery to the customer, meaning somebody is paid to do this as their job - then their additional check can cover them against preexisting defects missed by the manufacturer. And it provides the customer with an extra level of quality inspection, performed by qualified (and hopefully competent!) personnel.

Another angle to pre-delivery costs: let's say a ship arrives at the port with a load of new cars. They're delivered to a massive dealership in the CBD a mere 2 kms from the port, where bulk amounts of these vehicles are sold, and subcontractors who install accessories/mods are literally across the road from the dealership. Their predelivery costs should be much less than say a country dealership that's lucky to sell 5% the volume of cars, and they're located 300kms+ from the port, and their subcontractors may be back in the city or remotely based in a regional city elsewhere.

At the end of the day, if the customer isn't happy with the quoted price or sub-components such as the pre-delivery fee, they can always reject the quote.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #74
GetToTheGone

Have bought 2 cars in my short driving time, both second hand.
First car I bought the salesmen new i was young and never done it before, before saying anything he dropped the price $1000 then had a chat and said to have a think, call my dad ect. In the end saved $2000 off the price. Never once was pushy. Even my mum said he was one of the best salesmen she had delt with.

Second car spoke over the phone, deposite paid and and drove it off the lot the next week. No stuff around or BS
Old 05-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #75
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
I see a lot of people saying " I will never pay retail" so please answer this, if all dealers quoted you the same price and no one would move, would you not buy the car? or if every dealer showed you exactly the cost price would you want it for that, dealer/sales person gets no profit, or would you at least offer the dealer a profit of some sort?
Last thought going through people's minds when purchasing a vehicle is, "I hope the salesman/dealership is making enough money off me if I buy"

At the end of the day both parties need to find a happy medium when negotiating. What needs to be emphasised is the buying experience, If it's a pleasant experience without the BS then I for one as a buyer do not mind spending a little extra than what I was prepared to spend.

It's the emotionally draining sales tactics from unscrupulous salesman that tarnish the whole experience.
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #76
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post
Last thought going through people's minds when purchasing a vehicle is, "I hope the salesman/dealership is making enough money off me if I buy"

At the end of the day both parties need to find a happy medium when negotiating. What needs to be emphasised is the buying experience, If it's a pleasant experience without the BS then I for one as a buyer do not mind spending a little extra than what I was prepared to spend.

It's the emotionally draining sales tactics from unscrupulous salesman that tarnish the whole experience.
The problem is customers think it is only draining for them. I had a guy yesterday come in after I told him our low price. He kept bragging how he dictates his price to dealers then threatens to walk. I said we don't play those back and forth games. I said here's our price. He kept trying to manipulate us by saying we did him wrong. We were $6k below retail. Still wanted us to throw in free tints, and clear bras. Seriously people think I costs the dealer nothing and it's all profit. He walked and was likely expecting me to call him and offer more discounts to get him back in. So even when you don't play games, customers still think you are, or think that you're just not being negotiable. It's the expectancy bias. You can never please some people. Well I think today, he must have done some research because he came back and asked if he could still have I for the price we offered it to him for. I will keep saying it, the customers play games too.

Last edited by chevypower; 05-11-2015 at 05:00 PM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #77
Behemoth
Starter Motor

Update. I'd gone back to the dealer with my final offer. I'd taken the average prices on carsales etc. and auctions and based this around $26k for a 2012 Diesel AWD TS Terry with 105k on the clock.
I'd inspected the car a lot and gone in with a list of defects on the car (cracked windscreen, couple of dings and non-buffable scratches around, lots of dirt in the engine bay, scuffed up boot, partial service history, missing plastic covers at front of engine... whilst seemingly mechanically OK otherwise, it's only a 3 year old car so in my view was average rather than good condition).
So anyway, I'd offered $24.5k as my final offer to take the car as it was and this was refused. Was told that it "owed them" more than that as they "had done a roadworthy on it..." somehow justifying an initial price of 29k and then an indication of maybe not going below $27k.

I then asked well how much would I have to pay to get the car... I was told to make another offer... I then thought about ringing them back every 10 minutes offering 10 dollars more every time... but I didn't.

I listened to advice, stopped being emotionally attached to that car, held back my ego on wanting to "win" and walked away... last night I found a similar vehicle being advertised in NSW where the dealer had a very fair price on it, I made my enquiries, receive prompt and very detailed responses from the salesman, the price was very good so I said I'll take it and signed a contract this morning.

So yeah, I guess the best takeaway from this discussion for me is:

Avoid the sales people games and nonsense by simply avoiding nonsense salespeople!

I'll walk past that yard and smile every time I see that car still on the lot...
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #78
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Update. I'd gone back to the dealer with my final offer. I'd taken the average prices on carsales etc. and auctions and based this around $26k for a 2012 Diesel AWD TS Terry with 105k on the clock.
I'd inspected the car a lot and gone in with a list of defects on the car (cracked windscreen, couple of dings and non-buffable scratches around, lots of dirt in the engine bay, scuffed up boot, partial service history, missing plastic covers at front of engine... whilst seemingly mechanically OK otherwise, it's only a 3 year old car so in my view was average rather than good condition).
So anyway, I'd offered $24.5k as my final offer to take the car as it was and this was refused. Was told that it "owed them" more than that as they "had done a roadworthy on it..." somehow justifying an initial price of 29k and then an indication of maybe not going below $27k.

I then asked well how much would I have to pay to get the car... I was told to make another offer... I then thought about ringing them back every 10 minutes offering 10 dollars more every time... but I didn't.

I listened to advice, stopped being emotionally attached to that car, held back my ego on wanting to "win" and walked away... last night I found a similar vehicle being advertised in NSW where the dealer had a very fair price on it, I made my enquiries, receive prompt and very detailed responses from the salesman, the price was very good so I said I'll take it and signed a contract this morning.

Avoid the sales people games and nonsense by simply avoiding nonsense salespeople!

I'll walk past that yard and smile every time I see that car still on the lot...
That sentence there in itself is a win. Well done!!!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #79
theBlake

Quote:
I've had enough with their stupid little sales people games and being treated like an idiot.
everything you have described is exactly like New Car salesmen tactics, so I am guessing you were at a new car dealership that has recent model used car lot on the side.

Used Car salesmen use a different set of tricks

I have been looking at <$10000 cars lately and have tyrekicked in a few yards. So far most of the salesman I have come across seem to have broken the mould and are quite genuine. Except for the one armpit who didnt call me to cancel my appointment to view the car because he sold it late the previous day. Was only a 2 hour round trip wasted...
Old 06-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #80
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

'Partial service history?' It's still on the lot for a very good reason. I'd be running not walking away as fast as I could!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #81
Matty4
Banana

I guess you missed the bit where he said he did.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #82
Behemoth
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
I guess you missed the bit where he said he did.
I meant new to me... Soz for the confusion. I got a schmik 2011 TS territory AWD diesel for 22k from a dealer in NSW. I live in Bundy which doesn't exactly have the choice of vehicles you get in the city. Over inflated prices for a small choice of cars. This particular salesperson was a young fella from the new car sales area trying to sell me a used car. I walked and didn't look back after the shenanigans and games and 4k too much on an average car.
I'm grateful for all the comments on this thread as it made me think rationally and be unemotional about a business transaction.
Thanks for all the suggestions and tales. Thats why forums like these are such a good thing.
I also spent a lot of the researching and finding out prices and what to look for.
Pays to do some eye work and go in with your research and be prepared to walk away from something you known isn't a good deal.
The bloke I bought from had a fair price and didn't mess me around and thus I signed the paperwork and am now happy.
Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #83
theBlake

Quote:
I got a schmik 2011 TS territory AWD diesel for 22k from a dealer in NSW.
Redbook suggests you got a good deal on this car, what was the Km's on it"?

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/resea...POT-ITM-220843
*Private Price Guide $25,900 - $28,900
*Trade In Price Guide $21,300 - $24,300
*Average Km 60,000 - 100,000
Old 07-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #84
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the job of buying a new Mazda 3 for she who must be obeyed and not being receptive to salesman BS I decided to put my purchase to tender. It was a cash deal with no trade in. So I drafted a letter outlining the exact car and options I wanted and mailed it to every Mazda dealer in Brisbane and suburbs. I asked them to reply with a one time best price as there would be no negotiations. Of the 8 dealers - 7 replied and I got a better deal from the successful tenderer than I expected. The only one that didn't reply advertises heavily and calls himself a "master dealer". So to stick it up him, I sent the DP a message that his SM hadn't replied and that I'd bought a car for $500 over what I had really paid. LOL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 01:38 AM   #85
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

If the salesman is being a dick I like to fart on the test drive, then save a few for his office. If he says something , I say it doesn't stink as much as the _hit your dribbling.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: