Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #61
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Warning on Counterfeit Wheels Imported from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
I think all modern rims are flawed at engineering level anyway, the good ole boys had it right and sticking around zero offset. Now we have this modern crap where the weight of the vehicle is focused to the outside point, with +40 there is no support to the inside of the rim, you hit something on the inside of the rim and it will give. From a engineering point of view zero offset seems a lot stronger all round than +40 any day.
Got it in one...
The original offset with the spokes and bolts right at the outside of the rim was normally only seen on front wheel drives. Now they're on everything. For some reason.

You're quite right...with our roads that large unsupported back section is just asking for trouble.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #62
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That "modern" wheel offset is all about having decent suspension geometry. The biggest issue with wheels is large diameter wheels with low profile tyres. They are very unforgiving on bad roads. It allows big brakes at the cost of wheel damage.

The good old boys had terrible brakes, poor handling and really poor conventional tyres. Mates used to get around 5000 miles out of tyres on dirt roads.

Last edited by Xauterus; 31-10-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #63
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
I think all modern rims are flawed at engineering level anyway, the good ole boys had it right and sticking around zero offset.
From a single system point of view, yes.
However considering dynamics, kinematics, brakes or hub packaging.......
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #64
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The test was some ridiculously harsh pot hole with ultra low profile tyres, did they say anything about the good rims being buckled?, I have had tyres let go from hitting one of those yellow bumps on the road.
The tv news I saw showed the Benz with the original rim/tyre hitting the same "pothole". They said the original rim buckled but did not fracture. They didn't say or show how badly buckled/damaged the original rim was.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #65
WoodyAU

A few years ago, a mate of mine decided that his '72 Landcruiser needed a V8. When we pulled the motor, he noticed that the chassis was rusted, so got another chassis and we swapped everything over. Was a massive job, and with the 305 chev cost $12,000 all up. This includes suspension and heaps of other stuff, including $400 per piece mud tyres (they smoke better) He put the tyres on "Snake Racing" Sunraiser copies that cost $50 each and had so much balance weight on them because they were not for road use. He sold it after that because he couldn't stand paying for the fuel. Got $3750. I wonder how long those wheels lasted.
WoodyAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #66
zilo
BANNED

ROH wheels come from China these days.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post