Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #61
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Attack
Fords 4cyl idea in Falcon is bound to be a lemon based on this theory.

Like the Germans say "Sink Habout it" (Think about it).

The EcoBoost 4cly had more tourqe at 1500 rpm then what the SIDI has at peak IIRC.

Your theory is flawed.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #62
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The way you put it John, it appears that the 3.0 SIDI is the same as the 3.2 CFI that EA came with. Whether Holden follow Ford's lead with the CFi and drop it is another matter.
It would cost them too much in ego Andrew. They wouldn't want to lose face like that, plus, with the development dollars they sunk into it they will be trying to make some sort of return, rather than just write it off.

The thing that is hillarious to me is that Holden must have known, even before work started on the 3.0 model, that is wouldn't work. At least not enough to justify the exercise from an engineering prespective. But they were confident they woudl spin it to convince more australians to buy the commodore....their 'we are australian' advertisements prove as much.

The drive test and other media stories hurt them....it hurt them bad. Not just because it proved the car didn't atcually deliver, but because the legions of holden faithful that had VEs already had no incentive to upgrade....they felt they had better stay with what they had. In addition, it would have stung like hell for so many of the lion faithful to see that old 'dinosaur' 4.0 I6 take out the 'saviour' of DI alloytec. Its tainted the 3.6 model too, which is a bit unfair. But that is the way the cookie crumbles...you can't spin rubbish forever.

It shows just how much Holden is a marketing company. ..

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #63
Rapid_Attack
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The EcoBoost 4cly had more tourqe at 1500 rpm then what the SIDI has at peak IIRC.

Your theory is flawed.
Its not about Torque, its about history and our culture as little sister to the US.

Its hard to quantify perception, although you could use sales as a guide. Australians have been infused with a logic of bigger is probably better. Unless Gen Y contradicts that thinking (which it doesn't), then as the aging population grows lager its hard to re-start the cycle to allow adoption of new theories.

You could put an STI engine in a Falcon, its still a big Falcon.
Rapid_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #64
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But the sti delivers its torque above 4000 rpm. which is a little flawed.

A better analogy would the VW group 2.0 TDI. Its used in just about everything, from the Skoda Superb and Passat (Falcon weight) through to golf. Because it delivers its torque by 1900 rpm these things are quite driveable and economical.

Think of torque as what moves you down the road, power is just the rate at which it is applied.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #65
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The way you put it John, it appears that the 3.0 SIDI is the same as the 3.2 CFI that EA came with. Whether Holden follow Ford's lead with the CFi and drop it is another matter.
They are trapped, they can't drop it with out embarrassment and they risk further humiliation
when the Ecoboost I-4 Falcon arrives, Holden will then be seriously out flanked and ducking for cover.
The Ecoboost will ape an EB 4.0 for bottom end torque and power - that's gotta be a good thing
and if it gives reasonably good fuel economy along the way, all the better I say because
the worst thing a motor company can do is disappoint their buyers.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #66
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Ford could badge the 2.0Litre EcoBoost Falcon as an 'Econetic' giving it some 'Green' cred among prospective fleet purchasers and individuals who want to feel good about perceived environmentally friendly purchases?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #67
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
Maybe Ford could badge the 2.0Litre EcoBoost Falcon as an 'Econetic' giving it some 'Green' cred among prospective fleet purchasers and individuals who want to feel good about perceived environmentally friendly purchases?
If they dont do that they have rocks in their heads.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #68
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Attack
Fords 4cyl idea in Falcon is bound to be a lemon based on this theory.

Like the Germans say "Sink Habout it" (Think about it).
High end technology engines at minimum displacement in application. Ze Germans have been doing it for donkey's years.
Old 20-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #69
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

judging by what people say here- if ecoboost trumps it when the current I6 does holden will be in very deep brown sludge from which resurfacing will be extremely difficult, this is subjective to ecoboost delivering it is possible it will turn falcon into a thirsty slushbox like what holdens' new V6 has done for them, keeping things even a slow thirsty commodore or a slow thirsty falcon I hope ecoboost 4 cylinder works I really do but if it doesn't it leaves enthusiasts all buying imports to get some speed out of them, and that will be sad seeing the falcon fall from grace so quickly after the abilities of the I6T

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #70
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
judging by what people say here- if ecoboost trumps it when the current I6 does holden will be in very deep brown sludge from which resurfacing will be extremely difficult, this is subjective to ecoboost delivering it is possible it will turn falcon into a thirsty slushbox like what holdens' new V6 has done for them, keeping things even a slow thirsty commodore or a slow thirsty falcon I hope ecoboost 4 cylinder works I really do but if it doesn't it leaves enthusiasts all buying imports to get some speed out of them, and that will be sad seeing the falcon fall from grace so quickly after the abilities of the I6T
Neither the I4T and SIDI powered vehicles would be classified as "enthusiasts" vehicles though would they.... These engines are purely Fleet power packs.

"Enthusiasts" will shop further "up" the power plant tree....

Old 20-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #71
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Neither the I4T and SIDI powered vehicles would be classified as "enthusiasts" vehicles though would they.... These engines are purely Fleet power packs.

"Enthusiasts" will shop further "up" the power plant tree....

Wait until some cluey blokes try and get 400kw out the I4 paint it candy pink and get it on the cover of Hot fours.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #72
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Wait until some cluey blokes try and get 400kw out the I4 paint it candy pink and get it on the cover of Hot fours.