Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is it time for a FPV Focus?
Yes 126 86.90%
No 19 13.10%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #61
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

It also takes a short man to drive a small car, i have worked out :P
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Funny thing is the Mini has more front seat space than the ute, especially in leg and head room, easier to get into as well thanks to the long doors and large door opening.
Old 31-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #63
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats why the Focus is so good, heaps of legroom, well at least in the front!!! The wifes Corolla is the just superceded model, and i find it rubbish, if we take it to the coast I get leg cramps.. :( grrrr

Can only imagine a 3door Focus would have similar ease of access as the Mini....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #64
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

I don't know, but this looks pretty good to me,

Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #65
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The cooper was alright when i drove it. I was perfectly comfy, but in saying that i don't see how anyone could sit behind me haha. The mazda 3 and the focus seem plenty roomy. I've got a 3 hatch and it can comfortably seat 5 adults and my mate has a focus sedan and it can seat 5 comfortably.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #66
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBA
The cooper was alright when i drove it. I was perfectly comfy, but in saying that i don't see how anyone could sit behind me haha.
someone sitting in the back seat of a Mini

Funniest thing I have heard, no one said they are multi talented at moving people. One of the reasons that if FPV were to offer something that is as fun to drive, with similar economy (avg of less than 9L/100km) and comfortable for four adults, we would have two FPV's in the drive.
Old 31-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #67
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Oh boo, bloody hoo to you. I’m almost at the other end of the spectrum (although I did see a race seat that was only 305mm wide internally at the hips that made me pause the other day).

I cannot imagine the size and weight a person would have to be to call an FG GT (even the GTP’s) seats tight fitting. I’m probably going to have to get the seats rebolstered if I end up getting a Falcon or Commodore.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #68
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

[QUOTE=Rev28K]Oh boo, bloody hoo to you. QUOTE]

To who????
Old 31-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #69
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

[QUOTE=geckoGT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Oh boo, bloody hoo to you. QUOTE]

To who????
To the disproportionate giants who are complaining about Focus, Mini, etc being too small.

Try an original Mini for size or a Japanese Kei car if you want to talk small.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #70
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i think he means to all the larger ,room requiring people
Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #71
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
An FPV Focus is a great idea, the Gay/Female market is currently untapped.

Toyota estimate 3/4 of sales are decided by or influenced by females.

Let me check their sales figures.... wow number 1.

As Rodp states the XR8 ute is a favourite of the homosexual community. Wonder if it has anything to do with the bulge.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #72
Cuey
Built Ford Tough

Won't happen until 2010 when we start building the focus here.

End of story

"I believe it was an old, old wooden ship used in the civil war era."

Ron Burgandy - Anchorman
Cuey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #73
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Toyota estimate 3/4 of sales are decided by or influenced by females.

Let me check their sales figures.... wow number 1.

As Rodp states the XR8 ute is a favourite of the homosexual community. Wonder if it has anything to do with the bulge.
Ive seen just as many females drive XR's and FPV's has i have males...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #74
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ive seen just as many females drive XR's and FPV's has i have males...
Yeh but you ARE in Tamworth...........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #75
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they should - would consider buying a new one. Look at the Mazda 3 MPS, ball tearer of a car, WRX, GTi, even Astra Turbo - all good performing cars that give people an option of something smaller - not everyone wants the size/weight of a Falcon. An FPV version of XR5T would be great but make a sedan version available to - I like these small cars, but I hate hatches...

I must say I was playing with an XR5T the other day (on a closed environment of course), I was in a 200rwkw R34 skyline, now I dont know what he had done to it, but I couldnt shake him in a straight line at all. So yes, plenty of potential to be had there.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #76
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I must say I was playing with an XR5T the other day (on a closed environment of course), I was in a 200rwkw R34 skyline, now I dont know what he had done to it, but I couldnt shake him in a straight line at all. So yes, plenty of potential to be had there.
Maybe the XR5T is heavily modded. Otherwise I dont believe you.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #77
4dlvr
4dlvr

first xr5 should be a 4cyl... bloody stupid having a 5cyl turbo JUST competing with faster/more powerful 4cyl turbos.
the IF they do bring out a fpv focus, make it awd, make it 220kw+, let it have 19's and brembos... no point bringing out a fpv focus that will get beaten by mps, sti, evo etc...

bottom line, if its not the best then we dont want it
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #78
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
first xr5 should be a 4cyl... bloody stupid having a 5cyl turbo JUST competing with faster/more powerful 4cyl turbos.
the IF they do bring out a fpv focus, make it awd, make it 220kw+, let it have 19's and brembos... no point bringing out a fpv focus that will get beaten by mps, sti, evo etc...

The current XR5T is running a very very mild tune from factory.
I think it is running 8psi stock.
It's competitors are running far more boost stock.
The XR also have a very sweet torque curve, in any gear it can get up and go.
Internals of the engine are forged (pistons and crank) and are only limited by the size of the turbo.
Wretched is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #79
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pump some more boost in there in that case!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #80
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr

i completely agree with you. theres no point bringing a new car out to "compete". you want to obliterate the competition, not trundle along beside them..

BTW 200rwkw is pretty lame for a R34 GTR...
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #81
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev

BTW 200rwkw is pretty lame for a R34 GTR...
I never said it was a GTR, its a GTT. 200rwkw with an exhaust and tune, is not bad seeing it had 149rwkw stock (which is normal). It also only weighs 1300 odd kg's. Its a quick street car for what it is and I was very surprised this XR5T could stay with me - all I was saying is the XR5T must have some potential given this particular one could keep up (at least at sane speeds).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #82
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Fifth Gear just had a comparo around a very rudimentary track between the RS Focus and some limited edition Astra. The broad loved the handling of the RS but, IMO, it needs a few more horses under the bonnet out of the factory. It's quoted as a 6.8 sprint to 100. Gave the Astra a bit of a hiding though and the comments on its handling were less than favourable.

...and the Lexus vs M3 comparo, wow - I thought Tiff would have been better served wearing an overcoat and offering the girls boiled lollies, that was creepy.

Last edited by Rodp; 11-09-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Oops.. RS.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #83
RJO89
EuroFordClub

That video on fifth gear was about the ST (or XR5 is aus), not the RS. So if the ST beats the astra, the RS is going to smash it to bits.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #84
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
That video on fifth gear was about the ST (or XR5 is aus), not the RS. So if the ST beats the astra, the RS is going to smash it to bits.
I was going to say that it didn't sound right it and was more likely was an ST/XR5.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #85
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

The astra is more likely a Vauxhall VXR. Out guns the ST/XR5 focus in a straight line, by a lot. Top gear reviewed and raved about the straight line speed of the VXR, the problem is they don't turn. In the Top Gear review the understeer was applaing in the dry and dangerous in the wet.

The Vauxhall VXR is available in australia as a HSV VX, just re badged. We looked at them before we bought the Mini, better interior than WRX, Golf GTi but handling has not been well reviewd.

As for the RS must have a turbo 4, why? The turbo 2.5L 5cyl is actually a Volvo motor and has a good reputation for being a damn good motor. As has been said, the others in class have more boost and lower capacity, now up the boost on a larger capacity and you have a STI/Evo worried.

The XR5 does a good job of competing with GTi, WRX, VRX in the hot hatch stakes, I would imagine a RS would certainly rattle the cages of the STI, R32 and Evolution X.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #86
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The RS will have the same 2.5 I5 as the ST with a bigger turbo, some tweaks and a bigger intercooler. It's going to be pushing ~225kw. This is from the XR5/ST's 166kw.
Wretched is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #87
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
Ha. I thought it was the ST but then I went and edited it to RS after a brainfart. If the RS is even quicker, what are Ford waiting for, give us the opportunity to buy one here!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #88
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
The astra is more likely a Vauxhall VXR. Out guns the ST/XR5 focus in a straight line, by a lot. Top gear reviewed and raved about the straight line speed of the VXR, the problem is they don't turn. In the Top Gear review the understeer was applaing in the dry and dangerous in the wet.
It was a limited edition VXR, lightweight wheels and some other go fast gadgets that I can't remember. Whenever that bird opens her mouth I'm fixated with watching it and pay little attention to what she's actually saying. However, the handling was attrocious so little has changed there.

It's the only video they didn't include on their website as a clip and I deleted the show several seconds after watching it.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #89
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

If there were to be an next-gen FPV Focus then I'd rather have Ford Europe doing most of the ground work with FPV adding their influence for the AU/NZ markets. I don't see the point of two Ford operations (Ford EU/Ford AU) working on totally different hot hatch programs involving the same basic car.

Alan Mulally is trying to stop this practice in the Ford empire.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #90
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It was a limited edition VXR, lightweight wheels and some other go fast gadgets that I can't remember..
Lighter wheels, slightly grippier tyres than the OEM on the normal VXR, remus exhaust... all these come standard with the Astra VXR Spec-Nur.

The Focus ST is faster in tighter race-tracks, but no doubt the Astra is faster around the Nurburgring.

If it was my money, I'd get the Focus.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post