Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #61
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Lets see: If the velocity goes from +100km/h to 10km/h in the opposite direction, we have a change in velocity of 110km/h, if it just comes to a stop in then its only a 100km/h change in velocity, that's a higher change in velocity when it "bounces", fairly straight forward isnt it?

the former creates a higher deacceleration (assuming collision time is equal) since acceleration is the rate of change of velocity for both the car and the occupant, assuming of course they are wearing a seat belt.

Claiming "excess" momentum is converted into deacceleration is nonsense. Momentum is not converted into other quantities, it is conserved/transferred shared amongst other bodies in the collision.
Actually sudzy, I think I've just realised exactly where the flaw in your argument is - it's the assumption that collision time is equal. The car can't just travel in the opposite direction instantaneously. At some point its travelling 1km/hr, then 2km/hr etc up to the point of 10km/hr in the opposite direction (as per your example). This can't happen in zero time.

If you dispute this as well, them please PM me and we'll continue the debate in private.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #62
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Which car will end up better off? A stationary f150 pick up truck or a fiesta hitting it at 150km/h

Clearly the f150 is double its mass?
survivability of an accident has little to with mass and lot to do with forces going through your body and how much it gets flung around the cabin.
Old 15-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #63
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
Here's a couple of threads that have gone into the question (relating to an older bigger car) in much more detail.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11305690
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...6&page=1&pp=30
Before this thread goes any further...i recommend everyone read the above two threads. They are fairly recent and they cover this topic extensively. The threads in question resulted in a lot of fighting, angst and locked threads...there is a wealth of information provided for everyone.

Question: If an empty can of worms crashes with a full can of worms, will this stop the Falcon from being canned?
Old 15-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #64
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

In this Goliath V's David battle, I would rather be with Goliath.

As well as mass, a 4x4/truck has the added advantage of body height over the little guy. As far as I know and checking various videos NCAP doesn't crash a small car into a truck. The ANCAP/NCAP tests seem to be controlled front and side impacts at set heights.

How representative are these tests are in the real road conditions we face? How many people "plan/control" their collisions to the standards that ANCAP/NCAP expects? Or how many people feel relaxed during their collisions knowing that ANCAP/NCAP is on their side? My point is that ANCAP/NCAP can lead some people to a false scene of security.

If a small car collided with a 4x4/truck there is a likelihood of the small car literally being run over by the higher vehicle. From my perspective broken bones for the occupants within the 4x4/truck seems better than decapitation/crushing for the occupants in the smaller car.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #65
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand
Before this thread goes any further...i recommend everyone read the above two threads. They are fairly recent and they cover this topic extensively.
the previous threads assume that the larger car is an older car. this thread is asking about the effect of extra mass in a colision. lets assume both cars have modern crumple zones and active safety. then its a different story.

there is a vid on the 1st page of a 5star small car hitting a 4 star audi q7 (i think). 5 stars is only relevant if the object hitting you has a similar mass, give or take.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #66
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the previous threads assume that the larger car is an older car. this thread is asking about the effect of extra mass in a colision. lets assume both cars have modern crumple zones and active safety. then its a different story.

there is a vid on the 1st page of a 5star small car hitting a 4 star audi q7 (i think). 5 stars is only relevant if the object hitting you has a similar mass, give or take.
That is my question.... Newer cars/4wds have a lot of safety equipment in them..
The question is more to the point of would a say 3 start landcruiser/patrol with airbags be safer than a small 5 star hatch...?
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #67
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Fair enough guys...i still think there is a lot of useful information from those threads to add discussion to this one.
Old 15-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #68
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Lane
That is my question.... Newer cars/4wds have a lot of safety equipment in them..
The question is more to the point of would a say 3 start landcruiser/patrol with airbags be safer than a small 5 star hatch...?
As has been said many times through the thread, there is no substitute for a mass advantage in a collision.The star ratings have their problems, the frontal impact is with a fixed object, though the side impact one involves the same mass being swung at the vehicles in all tests so they are comparable.

Possibly it would be good to see the actual ratio of one vehicle accident to multi vehicle accidents to decide.

Looking at the big picture, by driving a bigger vehicle to increase our own safety, we actually reduce that of others who continue to drive smaller vehicles. Freedom of choice, perhaps, but where would it end, every one wanting something heavier than the next person to get themselves back a safety advantage?

Its already getting out of control with soccer moms driving around in those 3 tonne porsche,cruiser thingos because hubby likes his bimbo and kids to be safe as she isnt that good a driver.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #69
xc4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
you got the forces right, but not the change in momentum/impulse. The change in momentum/impulse(same thing) of the bodies in a 2 body collision is the same in magnitude, opposite direction.
of course, bit of a d'oh moment haha you got me.. it was 1am, what can ya do haha the velocity changes most in the smaller body (could go negative blah blah in order for conservation of momentum... it wont be perfect because this isn't an ideal physics world but you get the point..)
still feeling like a dummy

Sale thread here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...77#post3722277
xc4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #70
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
True, but the main argument put forth by the old car brigade was primarily related to mass and its effect in a collision so I think it has relevance to this discussion.
As a result that thread (which would probably take days to read from start to finish) contains links to a good amount of information about mass and the laws of physics (but that's all too tekanogical for me).

I'm going to stick with my argument that it's all about how much force is transferred into the occupants bodies and not how much force is put into the vehicles chassis.
All things being equal I think mass wins out, and the point of impact (eg. truck runs completely over roof of car) is entirely relevant, but going on my belief about force being transferred into the human body vs. force being dissipated or absorbed by a crumbling car, consider that a 4WD by design is likely to have a much more ridged and stiffer chassis (therefore less inclined to crumple / absorb / dissipate energy and more likely to transfer the forces into you) owing to the designers misguided belief that at some point the things actually leave Toorak and go off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Lane
As I said the stars aren't the be all and end all, they're just a guide. To get all five stars you need to have ABS, ESC, seat belt warning alarms, and other things that are related to avoiding the crash and won't have any effect when it comes to the results of actually having a crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Or how many people feel relaxed during their collisions knowing that ANCAP/NCAP is on their side? My point is that ANCAP/NCAP can lead some people to a false scene of security.
I thought so too so I started a thread on it.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11306200
The conclusion I drew from that was that it wasn't the ANCAP rating but rather the terrible standards of driver training we have in this country.

If only there was someone here with some first hand experience in these sorts of things who could give us some egsamples of what can happen to 4WDs in a crash, someone who was/is respected by the entire forum not because of some silly smilies but because of the selfless effort and hard work he put into making the forum a better place for all of us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand
Question: If an empty can of worms crashes with a full can of worms, will this stop the Falcon from being canned?
What I'd like to know is why has every old Falcon I've owned had tin worm?
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #71
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc4me
of course, bit of a d'oh moment haha you got me.. it was 1am, what can ya do haha the velocity changes most in the smaller body (could go negative blah blah in order for conservation of momentum... it wont be perfect because this isn't an ideal physics world but you get the point..)
still feeling like a dummy
No worries, sometimes it just comes out wrong,
Old 15-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #72
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBNiQ...eature=related
Old 16-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #73
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I will predict the outcome of this discussion, it will be the same as all the previous ones.

You can not safely generalise and say that larger cars are safer than smaller cars, there are too many variables and it is the design features and safety systems of the individual cars regardless of size that will determine the survivability of that vehicle an a crash. Added to that, a vehicle that performs well in a frontal crash may be a death trap in a side impact etc. Another thing to consider is that a particular type of vehicle may be safer in a crash compared to a smaller car, but due to elements such as centre of gravity, road holding, braking characteristics etc, that car may be more likely to be involved in an crash which negates the crash survivability. Better off not being in the crash in the first place rather than surviving one.

There too many variables and too much design and tech that can give huge improvements in crash survivability that may not be expected for its size.

Personally, I suggest if you are in the market for a new car, look at the other elements of the car that you require (eg size and features etc) and then look at the safety elements. Large vs small, although an element of safety is not the be all and end all of vehicle safety. Look at it this way, if you had a budget of $25k, what would be safer out of a Fiesta Zetec or a Great Wall 4wd? We all know the answer to that one. The budget of those two examples is about the same, too buy a 4wd that has similar safety to the fiesta, you would have to spend $50k instead of $25k.
Old 17-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #74
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

So what you are saying is that if I buy a Patrol, rebuild the front guards out of 1/4 inch steel plate and build a bullbar made of 2 inch thick solid steel bars, it will be barely any safer in a head on with an Excel than it was from factory.

At some point size and more particularly weight has to play a substantial part in it. Who would be game to drive a 5 star Focus with airbags and crumple zones and stuff into the front of a bulldozer at 50km/h?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #75
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
So what you are saying is that if I buy a Patrol, rebuild the front guards out of 1/4 inch steel plate and build a bullbar made of 2 inch thick solid steel bars, it will be barely any safer in a head on with an Excel than it was from factory.

At some point size and more particularly weight has to play a substantial part in it. Who would be game to drive a 5 star Focus with airbags and crumple zones and stuff into the front of a bulldozer at 50km/h?
if you were to drive both cars at a bull dozer @ 50kph you would survive in the focus..
i serouly doubt you would survive in the patrol with those mods,,youed probably be jellow, every bone shattered from impact transferance.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #76
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8

Let me put this scenario at you.

You are driving a 11.54t armoured personnel carrier (APC) surrounded by 50 mm compressed aluminium armour traveling at 60 km when you hit a large immovable tree. The shell of the vehicle suffers almost no deformation and is still usable without any repair required. Despite the seat belt and padded surfaces around you, you still end up with a fractured pelvis, c spine fracture and depressed skull fracture. Why is that?

Now go through the same crash but this time you are driving a brand new fiesta zetec. The vehicle is a complete writeoff and has evidence of the impact all the way through the front, the roof and the doors. This time you walk out with a bit of bruising on your chest from the belt, some abrasions and some mild neck pain but you leave the hospital that night and feel fine a few days later. Why is that?

The simple answer is the both vehicles have been through the same forces, the APC stops immediately, 60-0 in a split second without any force being absorbed by the vehicle structure. The means that as your body slams against the belt and the interior surfaces, it is at full force with no momentum absorbed by the vehicle. In the Fiesta, the crumple of the body increases the pulse time it takes for the force to be applied to the occupants, dissipating much of the energy and therefore decreasing the amount of force applied to the occupants. The car dies so that you may live.

Your modifications to your patrol would only move your chances of survival away from that of a car and closer to that of the APC driver, not a good mod. But at least I guess someone else would be able to fix your car up and use it later, not so good for the occupants though.
Old 17-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #77
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
if you were to drive both cars at a bull dozer @ 50kph you would survive in the focus..
i serouly doubt you would survive in the patrol with those mods,,youed probably be jellow, every bone shattered from impact transferance.
Agreed, the focus occupant would be subjected to much less force of impact than the driver of the aforementioned modified patrol.
Old 17-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #78
wozman

wood it come down to the people in the car eg old ,young,children weather they live or not?
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #79
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman
wood it come down to the people in the car eg old ,young,children weather they live or not?
Yes to a degree it would, some segments of the demographic deal with vehicle trauma better than others. There is considerable evidence and popular professional opinion is that young children and the elderly, along with other ages in between where the individual has a complicating injury or illness are more likely to die/sustain severe injury in a crash that a person outside those groups would survive. Having said that, vehicle safety mechanisms are designed and tested according to forces applied to the occupant and the expected injury patterns that the average person would sustain as a result. Although in testing a child is simulated individually due to the physical size differences, something that is not seen in an adult age 17-70 and an elderly person.
Old 17-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #80
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
The comparison isn't fair.

So lets make it fair and relevant to the original question, if we have a 5 Star 4WD and a 5 Star Focus hit each traveling at 50kph and they have a 'perfect' head-on (just like NCAP). Which would you rather be in and why?
Old 17-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #81
prydey
Rob

Quote:

So lets make it fair and relevant to the original question, if we have a 5 Star 4WD and a 5 Star Focus hit each traveling at 50kph and they have a 'perfect' head-on (just like NCAP). Which would you rather be in and why?
something i've often wondered regarding the ancap testing. logic says the occupants of the similarly rated larger car will be better off, but i'm no physics expert or ancap expert so i'm not 100% sure if thats how it all works.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #82
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
something i've often wondered regarding the ancap testing. logic says the occupants of the similarly rated larger car will be better off, but i'm no physics expert or ancap expert so i'm not 100% sure if thats how it all works.
I agree with you there prydey. I'd personally advocate buying the biggest and safest car you can if safety's your number one priority, although I'm not a physics or ANCAP novice, let alone expert so it's just my personal opinion.

I pointed out the 4wds high center of gravity earlier and how could be a factor here and if I could poach something from another thread,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
i had a head on with a fiesta in my NP pajero and the chick driving the fiesta wasnt too badly injured...but i havnt worked since have back and shoulder problems.. if you saw the cars you would be like .

she went straight under the drivers side wheel and flipped us over 3 times.
and before anyone wants to reply to this, no I can't find any egsamples of a head on where the badges in the center of the grills perfectly lined up with each other to the millimeter.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #83
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:

ANCAP testing bases the majority of its score based on data from accelerometers and load sensors in the Hybrid III crash dummies which gives accurate and consistent injury prediction. Due to this, two vehicles with similar scores in a same crash of equal conditions will offer similar crash survivability.

Everyone needs to remember that a bulk of the assessment under ANCAP comes from the effect on the occupant, not the state of the car afterwards and its ability to be repaired. It is almost true to say that up to a certain force the probability of surviving a crash is inversely proportional to the amount of panel damage. By this I mean at average speeds, new cars with controlled crumple offer more protection from injury than cars with little to no crumple or uncontrolled deformation. I hope that makes sense, it is certainly my observation out at the sharp end of traffic crash scenes.

I have seen people walk out of amazingly crushed wreck with not a mark on them and I have pulled dead bodies out of cars with seemingly little damage, it is all a question of force on the occupant, not the car. Anecdotally, my observation is size has next to nothing to do with it unless you are talking car v bus or car v truck and there is a massive difference in weight.
Old 17-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #84
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
ANCAP testing bases the majority of its score based on data from accelerometers and load sensors in the Hybrid III crash dummies which gives accurate and consistent injury prediction. Due to this, two vehicles with similar scores in a same crash of equal conditions will offer similar crash survivability.

Everyone needs to remember that a bulk of the assessment under ANCAP comes from the effect on the occupant, not the state of the car afterwards and its ability to be repaired. It is almost true to say that up to a certain force the probability of surviving a crash is inversely proportional to the amount of panel damage. By this I mean at average speeds, new cars with controlled crumple offer more protection from injury than cars with little to no crumple or uncontrolled deformation. I hope that makes sense, it is certainly my observation out at the sharp end of traffic crash scenes.

I have seen people walk out of amazingly crushed wreck with not a mark on them and I have pulled dead bodies out of cars with seemingly little damage, it is all a question of force on the occupant, not the car. Anecdotally, my observation is size has next to nothing to do with it unless you are talking car v bus or car v truck and there is a massive difference in weight.
Does momentum have any relevance to ANCAP/NCAP?

Forgive me my physics is a little rusty.

A 4WD @ 3000Kg x 50kph = 833333 kg meters / second

A Focus @ 1000kG x 50kph = 277777 kg meters /second

The 4WD has 3 times more momentum than the Focus.

All things being fair and equal, if both the both 4WD and Focus attain 5 star ratings which measures the data from the crash test dummies, wouldn't it be logical to conclude the 4WD has had to provide 3 times the protection to its crash test dummies so that they sustain equivalent damage to that of the crash test dummies in the Focus?
Old 17-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #85
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Does momentum have any relevance to ANCAP/NCAP?

Forgive me my physics is a little rusty.

A 4WD @ 3000Kg x 50kph = 833333 kg meters / second

A Focus @ 1000kG x 50kph = 277777 kg meters /second

The 4WD has 3 times more momentum than the Focus.

All things being fair and equal, if both the both 4WD and Focus attain 5 star ratings which measures the data from the crash test dummies, wouldn't it be logical to conclude the 4WD has had to provide 3 times the protection to its crash test dummies so that they sustain equivalent damage to that of the crash test dummies in the Focus?
In theory yes I suppose it would but there are a number of issues with your question. The first is your weights are way off and over state your example.

The weight of a Nissan Patrol in its heaviest variant is 2638 kg and Ford Focus is 1300 kg, so the difference is not that great, closer to twice the weight and not x3.

Also consider that although the 4 wd has more mass and therefore more kinetic energy to absorb, it also has more metal work and structure to absorb that energy before intrusion to passenger compartment occurs or force is applied to the occupants but the end result is the same.

Quote:
The short answer is no because the testing is centered mainly around the forces applied to the dummies. In this case, the 4 wd applied significantly more injury causing force on the dummies than the small hatch did.

There is a good explanation of this here
Old 17-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #86
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instead of ANCAP smashing cars to an imoveable wall- which is the equivalent of a Fiesta hitting an oncoming Fiesta and a Patrol hitting an oncoming Patrol.

They should smash the car into a oncoming moving object which simulates the average car, ie the Fiesta is now hitting an oncoming object the weight of a Commodore and the Patrol is now hitting an oncoming object the weight of a Commodore.

I think it would be scary to see the difference in ratings...There is probably a bit of social pressure to not do this, as it would just encourage people to buy heavier and heavier cars.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #87
HLC
Audi S3

F = ma

Force = mass x acceleration

That says it all really.
Old 17-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #88
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To answer the thread question...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=212_1248892696

As to whether small cars are less safe, well other factors come into it, as mentioned earlier in the thread. Another factor overlooked is that, all other things equal, small cars tend to brake more quickly and, often, will be moving at a slower speed at impact.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #89
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Thanks for the ANCAP link, here are some interesting FAQ's

Question: If a large, heavy sedan and a small, light sedan both receive five stars and the same ANCAP scores, is the large sedan safer for the occupants than the small sedan?

Answer: It is not appropriate to compare ANCAP ratings across vehicle categories, particularly if there is a large weight difference. The reason is that in car-to-car crashes, the heavier vehicle has a theoretical advantage (due to the physics of the crash). Similarly, a higher ride height might be an advantage in a car-to-car crash. However in single vehicle crashes, such as with solid fixed objects, the weight might no longer be an advantage. So it depends on the type of crash. Also some small cars do remarkably well in crashes with larger vehicles as they have very strong passenger compartments and advanced occupant restraint systems and these features make up for the mass disadvantage.

Question: Is it better to have a small car with a 5 star rating or a medium car with a 4 star rating?

Answer: It is not appropriate to compare ANCAP ratings across vehicle categories, particularly if there is a large weight difference. The reason is that in car-to-car crashes the heavier vehicle has a theoretical advantage (due to the physics of the crash).. Similarly, a higher ride height might be an advantage in a car-to-car crash. However in single vehicle crashes, such as with solid fixed objects, the weight might no longer be an advantage. So it depends on the type of crash. Also some small cars do remarkably well in crashes with larger vehicles as they have very strong passenger compartments and advanced occupant restraint systems and these features make up for the mass disadvantage.

Question: Can ANCAP results be used to compare the relative safety of the vehicles tested?

Answer: ANCAP results can be used to compare the protection offered to occupants in the event of a severe frontal and side crashes for vehicles of similar size and weight. [B]Care must be taken when comparing results for different vehicles as only those vehicles of similar mass can be correctly compared. As a heavier vehicle will generally provide better protection in a collision with a smaller and lighter car, any result comparison should be restricted to cars of a similar class. To assist with the comparison, ANCAP publishes the kerb weight of the cars tested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you're about to have a collision. Vehicle A is a 5 Star ANCAP rated 4WD/2600Kg and vehicle B is a 5 Star ANCAP rated Focus/1300Kg, both traveling at 50kph and they're about to have an unavoidable head-on crash with each other.

Which car would rather be in, the 4WD or the Focus?

Newton's 2nd law (momentum) is such a wonderful thing.
Old 17-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #90
sudszy
Banned

Not quite sure what question we want answered or was answered in the last few posts, but if its a focus 1300kg colliding headon with a 4wd-2600kg at 50km/h, then the best case scenario for the focus if it "sticks" to the 4wd is that it would go from 50km/h to 16.6km/h in the opposite direction, a velocity change of 67km/h, or the equivalent of slamming into a concrete barrier at the same speed, probably not survivable.

For the 4wd, it has continued to move forwards at the same speed as the focus stuck to the front:16.6km/h , same thing as hitting a brick wall at 33km/h, very survivable.