Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2005, 10:57 PM   #61
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

The 2.7l TD is a nice engine 153kw @ 4,000rpm and 435Nm @ 1,900rpm. Would be a nice addition to the Territory and Falcon range.

The Fiesta has a 1.6 TD punching out 66kw @ 4,000rpm and 204Nm @ 1,750rpm
The Fiesta ST has the 2.0L 4 with 110kw @ 6,000rpm and 190Nm @ 4,000rpm

The new Focus has a 2L TD with 100kw @ 4,000rpm and 340Nm @ 2,000rpm (now this would be a nice engine to drive!)

These are all available in the UK...come on Ford, diesels are not so bad and yeah I know aussies have never liked them except for it 4WD and commercials.

After driving a TDi car in Germany I sort of fell for the idea of reasonable power and excellent economy.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #62
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Their actually convex mirrors that allow you to see more on the left had side of the car than a conventional mirror. I believe they have become an industry standard.
I think you'll find they are actually an ADR requirement
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #63
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGTHO
I think you'll find they are actually an ADR requirement
Warning: Legislators in vehicle design may be stupid-er than they appear! :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #64
BTTB
Free XD

Oh forgot to put my car wants in

All the ford range needs some HI-PO MUSCLE

especially the Falcon....

something like a 427ci Quad-Cam (415Kw) All-Wheel-Drive Beast !
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #65
Ford Fanatic
Kiwi Ford Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Manuals in Ghias. V8s in wagons. XR6 and XR8 wagon. Up the power on the XR6 and Ghia. Put the whole range on a diet. FPV LWB and Terro. V8 in the Terro....MAKE IT FIT!

Make the GTs whip the Holdens. Worried about a power war? Simple, release botcho figures.

And even though it's not worth the money to build it, I'd love the coupe to make a comeback. Not a coupe like the Hillman one, a proper fastback coupe. Two door BC GTHO anyone?
I agree. About time Ford reinstroduced the XR Wagons. Holden even have an HSV crewcab Ute! (or is that an SS crewcab?)

Last edited by Ford Fanatic; 12-01-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #66
Dez
Banned

holden have SS wagons yeah? saw 1 in geelong, doesnt look like a mock job...had a V8 n all so yeah, ford need to do the same.

as for those mirrors, ADR requirement or not, they're shit....i used to like the fact that ford didnt have them !
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #67
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

The SS wagons were a limited edition VY available only in black or red.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #68
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Dreaming I know but I would like to see the XR6 running higher compression - LPG 10.7:1 ratio (98 octane only but could still manage on 91 with knock sensor), full dual VCT and the T56 gearbox with GT 1st gear not XR6T (so that all XR6's live up to the new ads with 6 everywhere - oh and also so it goes better!) and a lower diff ratio (3.9) to suit. First gear would be slightly lower than current and 6th gear slightly taller. The ECU calibration would be the $$$ part to develop, all the other stuff already exists. At a rough guess the power should end up over 200 if not 210kW. I'm not sure about how much it would add to the price but given there is $8k between the XR6 and XR6T, and the XR6 and Futura are identically priced I think it is feasible for a "full-fat" XR6 either in addition to or instead of the current version.

Last edited by outback_ute; 13-01-2005 at 05:25 PM.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #69
Dez
Banned

futura and XR6 are the same used: thats not too good imo....if my mum ever looks at a futura, ill point her in the right direction!

trouty: it was a red 1. thanks
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #70
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Falcon XR6/T,XR8,GT,Typhoon: Loose alot of weight keep power the same.

Falcon XT/Futura/Fairmont: Turbo option.
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 06:20 PM   #71
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher
Capa have put a BOSS V8 into the Territory so it does fit!! Ford just have to drop it in...how hard can it be??
Very. The production line for the Falcon and Territory is such that the engine comes from underneath the car. While in the wider engine bay of the falcon this isn't a problem (well they also use some knock tape to allow smooth entry) the Territory just cannot fit the bugger from underneath.

However it can be fitted from up top. So while it couldn't be done on the production line it *COULD* be done at FPV.
Old 13-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #72
Fairmonty_Python
Jesus drove a Falcon

They need to make a dual cab version of the BA ute, with a REAL back seat, not like the crap rear seat in the Holden Crewman. They could make it available right across the range( XR, FPV, etc) with optional AWD from the Territory. They should also make the Territory in dual cab & cab-chassis form & give it a lift. It would be a heap better than that crap they send here from America in the form of the F-100's. I've seen better made Daihatsu's.
Fairmonty_Python is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #73
rodderz

I think Ford realises they can capitalise on the success of the Territory....it's selling well and there may be a few engine options available on the horizon. A turbo 6 would be popular, and there would be those who wouldnt mind the 2.7Lt diesel either. Would be ideal for the diesel version (if it does happen) to have higher, stiffer suspension to cater for those who like to take them into the scrub a bit more
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #74
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley
Very. The production line for the Falcon and Territory is such that the engine comes from underneath the car. While in the wider engine bay of the falcon this isn't a problem (well they also use some knock tape to allow smooth entry) the Territory just cannot fit the bugger from underneath.

However it can be fitted from up top. So while it couldn't be done on the production line it *COULD* be done at FPV.
Ian I don't believe that's the problem. In fact I think the engine box is all that is a common stamping between the Falcon and Territory.

The problem is the Territory has a front mounted steering rack (to make way for the drive shafts and work with the multi-link front end) while the Falcons is rear mount. This places the steering shaft in the way for a V8.

CAPA got around this by retrofitting a whole Falcon front subframe, complete with cross-member, steering and suspension. It's the reason for the narrower track!

Let me know if you ever see a BOSS AWD Territory.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #75
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Twin Turbo BA XR8, and a GTHO.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #76
D_XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher
Capa have put a BOSS V8 into the Territory so it does fit!! Ford just have to drop it in...how hard can it be??
CAPA actually use a falcon chassis and bolted on Territory panels.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2005, 04:52 PM   #77
turboute
turboute

What about an XR6T on gas (cant be bothered reading all the post's to see if someone already posted this) doesn't need to be as powerful as the XR6T but it would be better than the current gas powered vehicles which appear to be underpowered compared to the rest of the range.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #78
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool ^^^^^^^^^I thought that it may be interesting to revisit this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thought that it may be interesting to revisit this^^^

Any new comments or ideas?
Have your predictions/wishes form 2005 came to life?

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS

Last edited by alecrain; 15-09-2008 at 05:03 PM.
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #79
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a wish for the future...

A new V8, (possibly this new "Hurricane" V8) that can take to those HSV's, an engine with more cubes. Even now it seems Ford are still underdogs in V8 performance compared to Holden and we're lucky we have a turbo 6 to beat them. This has to change. After 2010, there should still be a turbo V6 Falcon but I think Ford needs a better V8 for their Falcon's.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #80
FPV70

I believe they should do a XR8/XR6t and regular XR6 in Wagon or atleast offer a V8 of somesort.

Not everyone can get away with driving a sedan and for those of us that actually want a wagon with performance, what do we have to chose from?
SFA is what.
Commodore SS Sport Wagon is one that I can think of that is within affordable range of the average bloke with family.
And Final wish would be for Ford to Drop the 5.4 Quad cam V8 for an all Alloy 5.8 Cleveland V8.
Pushrods along with Cubes are so much better.

Small but thats the start of my wish list for Ford.
Old 16-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #81
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Anything but bringing in that stupid durotech V6.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #82
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

This is what needs to happen for the Ford Falcon to survive...

Firstly the government will need to allow for their green funding initiatives to extend to "other" technologies besides hybrids...

Then Ford will need a 4cyl low emission unit in Falcon to sell to fleets... otherwise they won't buy them...

Then the enthusiast will demand a performance 6 and 8, so V6 Turbo and 5-5.4 Ecoboost V8?

Di LPG V6 will need to come at some stage also.

Upgraded Territory is needed with Diesel option.

We shall see soon enough but that's what I think should happen.

;)
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #83
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV70
I believe they should do a XR8/XR6t and regular XR6 in Wagon or atleast offer a V8 of somesort.

Not everyone can get away with driving a sedan and for those of us that actually want a wagon with performance, what do we have to chose from?
SFA is what.
Commodore SS Sport Wagon is one that I can think of that is within affordable range of the average bloke with family.
And Final wish would be for Ford to Drop the 5.4 Quad cam V8 for an all Alloy 5.8 Cleveland V8.
Pushrods along with Cubes are so much better.

Small but thats the start of my wish list for Ford.
The wife, kids and I went to the local Holden dealership to have a real good look at the new SS V wagon. I couldn't believe how wide those rear doors open compared to my BA. Easier to get the kids in and out.

A no BS 6L V8 with 6 speed manual, leather and sports suspension and in a station wagon please. I would happily trade in my XR8 for it.
Old 16-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #84
FORD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Ok this is what I would do if i was running Ford (and ill only concerntrate on aussie built).

Falcon Sedan Range:

Falcon XT - As before but with 16" alloy wheels standard (either current Futura or Classic type rim). Also Offer a SE Pack which can be basically the Futura spec (Side Airbags, Electric Pedals and 6 Stack Prestige sound).

RRP: $34,500
SE Pack: $35,700

Falcon SXT - Same as XT but with a 250 KW Boss V8, Bonnet Buldge, Full Body Kit, Flat Boot Lid Spoiler, Colour Coded Door Strips, Colour Coded Mirrors, 17" Alloys with a different Optional 18" Wheels, Front Fog lights, Leather steering wheel. Optional Six Speed manual or Auto Trans.

RRP: $43,850
SE Pack $45,050

Futura - Dropped.

Fairmont - Same as current except also make Wagon Available due to the dropping of Futura brand. Offer a Fairmont S with 17inch optional alloys and body styling kit for both sedan and wagon.

RRP: $40,000
Fairmont S: $43,000

XR6 NA - Same as current except with 200 KW of power. Prestige Sound Standard and also the option of the 6 speed transmission.

RRP: $39,500

XR6 Turbo - 250 KW with 18 Inch Alloys standard and Prestige Sound. Make it a little cheaper then XR8 but keep the price up there.

RRP: $47,900

XR8 - 275 KW Motor, 18" Wheels standard as now, Prestige Sound Standard and also Premium Brakes.

RRP: $51,500

Fairmont Ghia - 200 KW Six Cylinder the same as the XR6. Optional 240 KW V8. Same as is but with a new design 17" alloy and a specially design optional 18" Alloy. Body kit option but different from the others.

RRP: $53,500.

Falcon Wagon Range

XT Wagon - Same as sedan.

RRP: $37,000
SE Pack: $38,200

Fairmont Wagon - Same as sedan with the Fairmont S option.

RRP: $42,000
Fairmont S: $45,000

Fairlane

Ghia: 200 KW 6 cylinder and 240 KW V8 option. Standard 17 Inch alloys.

G250: Same motor as the SXT, 250 KW Boss with bonnet bulge and Mark I GTP wheels standard.

LTD: Same as Ghia except with 18 inch alloys, Sunroof, Satnav and Rear DVD Entertainment Standard.
That just sounds great.
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #85
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I'll claim a partial yes - the n/a XR6 did get the 6sp manual & all BF's got dual VCT. Not sure if it applies to BF but feed an FG 98 octane and you will have over 200kw...
Old 13-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #86
BrisVegas
Noobie

I'd like to see a new locally built model slotted in beneath the Falcon. The Mondeo is a fantastic vehicle, but is too pricey and almost too big to be a midsize car. I'd like to see something in the spirit of the old Cortina make a comeback. Cheap, cheerful, big enough for 4 adults or 2+3kids, available with a basic 4cyl petrol & diesel engines or a 6 cyl performance model. for $25-40k.

Ideally, the basic model 2.0-2.5 litre would be under 1400kg, make about 120kwatt and return combined fuel economy in the 8l/100km range. Perhaps the performance version could use the new 2.0 turbo 4cyl motor or the 4.0 i6 and put out around 200kwatt.

I think the Falcon is a fantastic car, don't get me wrong, but plenty of people want to drive (and be seen to drive) something midsize. Have a look at the crazy popularity of the 6,Liberty,Camry,Accord for instance. These cars are big enough for most families, are fairly economical, can be specced as povvo pack or with sportier drivelines etc. The local manufacturers have always competed on a value for money basis. If they could bring out something that undercuts the imported stuff and pulls on the heartstrings, they'd have a winner. I'd buy a modern Cortina in a heartbeat if one was available. At the moment, I'm looking at the Mondeo vs Falcon and as much as I think the Mondeo is a "better" car, the simplicity, value and performance of the local car makes it a better long term ownership proposition.

FWIW, I think Holden needs something similar too. A "Torana" equivalent would be perfect for them and be a welcome change from the rebadged Daewoo rubbish in their lineup currently.

just my 2cents, interested to hear others' thoughts. :-)
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #87
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I agree with everything you have said BrisVegas. I spend the last 5 minutes reading the thread and was thinking what you have typed almost word for word.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #88
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Brisvegas - the Focus is the car you describe, especially the sedan. They are not a "small" car any more in the sense of the 1980's Lasers. I'd expect the next model to be a touch larger than the current, and arrive in a couple of years.
Old 13-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #89
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I'm warming to the US's current range of Lincoln's. Even though LWB is dead I'd love to see a true LTD (lincoln type design). Even if it is based on SWB it would add another bow in Ford's upmarket models and could make more sense than a G8E (hint V8 power).
Old 13-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #90
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Brisvegas - the Focus is the car you describe, especially the sedan. They are not a "small" car any more in the sense of the 1980's Lasers. I'd expect the next model to be a touch larger than the current, and arrive in a couple of years.
nah, I've had a focus for 3 years and it's not quite big enough for the average family. I can fit my two kids in the back, but no room in between the carseats for anyone bigger than a small child, eg. Grandma etc.. It's close, but not quite there. I like the Mondeo. It's a good car, but the cheapest model is still $32k RRP + delivery & onroads etc.. Either they upsize the focus a bit or make the Mondeo cheaper somehow.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post