Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #61
98fex

Default Re: Need A Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
For those in this thread who are looking for jobs with no luck, what kind of jobs are you looking for and having no luck in? Are you looking for certain jobs to match your qualifications or any job you can get?
I was at first I was appling for jobs to match your qualifications but now I will do anything. I have a bit of a bad back so nothing with heavy lifting.
98fex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #62
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fex
I went for two interviews one today and one yesterday another waste of time, sorry for have whinge on here, but I feeling quite down at the moment. It just that I have been out of for 2 1/2 year. I got laid off 2 weeks before my wedding still have not been on hunnymoon yet. I feel like I have let my wife and kids down. Yes I can't sleep at night becauce I am trying to think of ways to fix my live up but I keep hitting brick walls
I feel your pain mate. I was laid off 3 weeks before christmas. Had interviews that gone nowhere etc. got a call 1hr ago to say I had awesome qualities and abilities employers would like, but a guy with industry exp got the job. It sucks constantly being kicked, to top it off I took my rc heli for a fly and caused $100 damage in 30secs. I feel worthless around the house and have often considered an option worth 250k to my family.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #63
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Can I also suggest something. It may not be feasable for some, but I am starting to apply for jobs in the city. I will basically go and live with family and work, come home every second weekend and continue looking for work in my local town. If I can get a job, I will leave whatever I am doing in the city and come back home. If not we will move the family as my partner can transfer.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #64
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you have a MR and Forklift license go to your nearest Roadhouse (or maybe newsagent?) and get a copy of OWNER DRIVER magazine (it's free at Roadhouses).

Or go here http://www.ownerdriver.com.au/ and look under 'Transjobs'

The printed version usually has at least 4 pages of recruitment agency ads and job vacancies in the Transport industry ranging from warehouse to Road Trains.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #65
burnz
VFII SS UTE

no one cold canvasses anymore??

sounds lazy to use a computer..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #66
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
no one cold canvasses anymore??

sounds lazy to use a computer..
It is because the companies now advertise online. I still check newspapers etc, but every job I have applied for is listed online. Even all the retailers list online their vacancies etc now.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #67
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
It is because the companies now advertise online. I still check newspapers etc, but every job I have applied for is listed online. Even all the retailers list online their vacancies etc now.
i will use the computer to research my target companys, then talk to the CEO or production manager (armed with research)..

and cercumvent the front desk/hr personell
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #68
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just applying is bs... you got to ring them.. follow it up.. touch base.. be keen.. get your name known.. almost to the verge of stalking.. ffs give him a job..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #69
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fex
Do you know what ***** me off the most , Is when you apply for so many jobs and NO one replies back to you , since xmas I have appled for for about 40 to 50 jobs not one reply. so if anybody out there knows of a job going please inbox me
Move to syd, plenty of jobs ere man!

Try a bigger company in qld like Bevchain? or coca-cola?
(just a suggestion to get started)
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #70
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
i will use the computer to research my target companys, then talk to the CEO or production manager (armed with research)..

Armed with a spell checker we hope !
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #71
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
I have never applied for a job online, on the phone or through the mail....i have always done the leg work and walked through the front door, it's never failed me yet....in fact this thread has been going longer than I’ve ever been (involuntarily) out of work.....

If you are really desperate for work there is plenty out there, it just depends on what the individual is prepared to do to make ends meet, you know, like getting your hands dirt........until something better comes along....

The above is not aimed at anyone in particular, just the bludgers among us.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 07-02-2012 at 04:41 AM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #72
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

drive a cab
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #73
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
just applying is bs... you got to ring them.. follow it up.. touch base.. be keen.. get your name known.. almost to the verge of stalking.. ffs give him a job..
Too true that, if you only apply then your name doesn't stick in their head. You have to really sell your merits to them over the phone and really ask the powerful questions, like asking for an interview instead of being prompted.

Quote:

That's true as well. So many applications just disappear into HR departments, if I call somewhere and they tell me that my application has to pass through HR first then I know that there is very little chance. Some jobs I just couldn't do because of the stereotype that comes with them i.e. I could be a good car salesman, but all my friends would disappear hahaha
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #74
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I do this. I apply, then after the closing date I give it a week, I call to check progress. then after the interview I give them a week and then I call again. It is what happened with the stupid trial I did recently, I called and she gave me a "trial" unpaid of course, I even learnt their systems and was selling customers goods without help, but the whole time I could tell, I only got a trial because I bugged her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I have never applied for a job online, on the phone or through the mail....i have always done the leg work and walked through the front door, it's never failed me yet....in fact this thread has been going longer than I’ve ever been (involuntarily) out of work.....

If you are really desperate for work there is plenty out there, it just depends on what the individual is prepared to do to make ends meet, you know, like getting your hands dirt........until something better comes along....

The above is not aimed at anyone in particular, just the bludgers among us.....
Not me, I get no handouts from centrelink. We are doing the absolute best we can on just 40k per year before tax and a little family tax benefit, which ost families receive anyway. My issue is I am limited due to my heart condition, so being a lacky for a lworksite or anything that involves continuous heavy lifting or manual labour is out. This is making it very hard to find work.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #75
Link
Ford Nut

Electrical stores seem to have a high turnover of staff but if you are good and willing to work you can make a bit of coin - maybe hit up all the Harvey Norman/Joyce Mayne/Domayne/Good Guys etc
Link is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #76
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
drive a cab
Lol... no disrespect here but don't you need to be of a certain ethnicity to be considered for driving a taxi?

I remember asking someone in the industry for a job doing this and was promptly replied with no. I stated that I'd get them there in good time and was then told that's why I wouldn't get the job, the "ethnics" purposefully drive slower to get more cash for the management firm and the owners.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #77
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
SNIP - I feel worthless around the house and have often considered an option worth 250k to my family.
Don't!

"Try" to never give in, for you to consider this extreme - I expect you have a young family? Or perhaps not? Get some pride into yourself, what did your dad or grandfather do? Or the ones that otherwise raised you??

My neice, a few years back, applied for over 200 jobs in RE near Newcastle region; she'd apply, then applied again - sometimes to the same mob. Finally got one locally, she's had kids, took leave, went back to work on weekends for them, and they'd like her back full time.

I guess many folk miss the days of being able to simply show initiative by walking up to a business to ask the floor fella (manager) for a job, not the girlie receptionist (who will often put you off), the floor fella!

Some of the rubbish Australian state and federal departments insist on for job applicants, sheesh, you must be sensitive to diversity blah blah blah. Bolshie crap - give me the right man or woman for the job *only*. :-)

Australia is (sadly?) part of the global economy, and like all western developed nation-states, we allowed corporates and activists to send our manufacturing jobs offshore, usually by way of treaties (Eg; The Lima Agreement of 1976 and countless others). Our key parties do as directed it seems, UNLESS BIG counter demonstrations (in apathetic Australia?) signal otherwise.

Never doubt your self worth, sport.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 07-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #78
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Lol... no disrespect here but don't you need to be of a certain ethnicity to be considered for driving a taxi?

I remember asking someone in the industry for a job doing this and was promptly replied with no. I stated that I'd get them there in good time and was then told that's why I wouldn't get the job, the "ethnics" purposefully drive slower to get more cash for the management firm and the owners.
Yes that is disrespectful.

Also you have been completely misled. Mid last year i relieved as taxi fleet manager for 2 months and I'll tell you something - it didn't matter what ethnicity they were, a good cabbie will make more money than a bad cabbie. Driving slower means they make less money!

Also don't believe that cabbies make bad money - cabbies who actually do more than the bare minimum often make about $50k/yr
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #79
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just an update on my situation again,

I have my interview tonight, there were five of us going for 2 positions, now it is down to 3 people going for 2 positions, after being qualified with a phone interview. When asked for feedback on why I was chosen, I was told that it was because I said in the phone interview:

1) Why my current role as a salesman would help me in a new role as a recruitment consultant, because both jobs are solutions based i.e. a customer tells you their situation, you find a solution to find their needs. This is known as "bridging the gap" or so I'm told.

2) I did not pause when they asked me for what my weakness is, although a weakness that is not seen as potentially job-losing is that your weaknesses are only relevant to their company. What I said was, "My weakness is understanding how the organisation operates, I am sure that there may be some paperwork that I'm not used to that I would have to learn". That technique means that they have nothing to lose with you except what they would have to teach any newcomer to the organisation/industry.

3) as soon as they offered an interview time (or if you asked for one), I straight away said yes. No hesitation, just a "yes" or "perfect". When you say yes to a question without hesitating, it makes you seem enthusiastic about the job and willing to dive into the opportunity.

These steps have gained me four face to face interviews and five phone interviews in the past two weeks since updating my resume and cover letter, and also since applying for a role which is both suited to my personal needs and for the organisations needs. You can't forget, that when you are offered a job, it's not just about the employee, the business needs to make its money back as well to pay your wages.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #80
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I feel your pain mate. I was laid off 3 weeks before christmas. Had interviews that gone nowhere etc. got a call 1hr ago to say I had awesome qualities and abilities employers would like, but a guy with industry exp got the job. It sucks constantly being kicked, to top it off I took my rc heli for a fly and caused $100 damage in 30secs. I feel worthless around the house and have often considered an option worth 250k to my family.
Sorry to hear that's how you've felt lately, but I don't think that's the right way to feel. A girl I went to school with did the same thing and left a wife and three kids behind, they got a pay out but she lost her dad.

Even though I still have a job and only threatened with being laid off, I still wake up every morning and see my girlfriend there sleeping and it makes my day so much better
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #81
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Don't!

"Try" to never give in, for you to consider this extreme - I expect you have a young family? Or perhaps not? Get some pride into yourself, what did your dad or grandfather do? Or the ones that otherwise raised you??

My neice, a few years back, applied for over 200 jobs in RE near Newcastle region; she'd apply, then applied again - sometimes to the same mob. Finally got one locally, she's had kids, took leave, went back to work on weekends for them, and they'd like her back full time.

I guess many folk miss the days of being able to simply show initiative by walking up to a business to ask the floor fella (manager) for a job, not the girlie receptionist (who will often put you off), the floor fella!

Some of the rubbish Australian state and federal departments insist on for job applicants, sheesh, you must be sensitive to diversity blah blah blah. Bolshie crap - give me the right man or woman for the job *only*. :-)

Australia is (sadly?) part of the global economy, and like all western developed nation-states, we allowed corporates and activists to send our manufacturing jobs offshore, usually by way of treaties (Eg; The Lima Agreement of 1976 and countless others). Our key parties do as directed it seems, UNLESS BIG counter demonstrations (in apathetic Australia?) signal otherwise.

Never doubt your self worth, sport.
Hey mate, it is just a feeling. My partner wants me to seek help, but it is a feeling I can't help. Working for 5years, thinking your secure so getting car loans, credit lines etc, then being fired and realising you can't pay back the debt on one wage. You got 2 kids etc, then every job you apply for you either get told sorry, not what we want, or have an interview and then get told someone else was better, well it just feels ****. I know we have all been there, but some days I do think just maybe my kids and mrs would be better off that way, because not only will they be out of debt, but they can get ahead in life, own a house etc. It is a sad thing to hope for, but there is an offer on my grans house, if it goes through, my debt woes are over. But if I don't get a job before end of march, or this offer goes through, I am totally up **** creek. Anyway I am taking away from this topic with my rant.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #82
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i'm in the same boat as some of you guys with the whole Job situation i apply for 200+ daily maybe get at least one call a day, i just don't understand whats going on with jobs currently, when i applied for a job back in day , you just hand n your resume and you get a interview and get a job but now, its so annoying to get a job.

Lately ive been relaying on Labour hire to at least get some money coming in, but even that is dead, its really doing my head in , ive got my fiance driving me crazy "when you going get a job" i keep on syaing no labour hires wants any workers, then i tell her i have apllied for heaps and jobs and i get no replies, at this rate i'll never work in proper job again, sometimes i don't know why i even borther anymore to be honnest, ive changed my resumes so many times that ive lost cost and sometimes i so feel like giving up completly looks like i'm getting nowhere
Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #83
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If you really want to make a go for it get out of Victoria (it pains me to say, I love the big V) and head to Queensland. Resources is going nuts. Do your research, talk the the companies and see what you need to do.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #84
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

^ if i had the money i would
Old 15-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #85
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update on my situation, any phone interview I get I have been having an interview booked in a matter of days without fail lately. You'll find that recruitment consultants will always ask very similar questions for similar roles, and rehearsing my answers has seemed to help me.

"Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?"

"Coming back from holiday and managing my own branch here in Melbourne (with a little smile)"

What attracted you to the role?"

I like how something that I've always had a passion for can become as rewarding as working here, much more lately since my current role had become stagnant"

"Have you applied for any other jobs?"

"One or two other positions, however they have not given me a call back so I don't think that they were interested in pursuing their clients requirements".

Why I haven't got a job yet, well, after asking for feedback after every interview and I got turned away, I get answers like this:

For a travel centre role:

"You had the right amount of customer service and experience that we need, you just hadn't travelled enough".

For a recruitment role:

"You give the right answers and know what the client needs, but over the phone your voice just doesn't sound like it has any credibility".

"We offered you an interview of how impressive you sounded on the phone interview, but we need someone with experience".

For a solar Hot Water supplier rep role:

"Your knowledge exceeded what we were looking for, much more so than our previous employee. However your appearance, whether it be your age, or height, you just don't look professional enough".

It leaves me a bit annoyed that after every interview, there is something holding me back that I can't help immediately, i.e. my age or how much I've travelled. I am convinced however that I will find a role that will suit my requirements exactly, and hopefully in the near future.

I had a phone interview yesterday and a face to face interview today for in car AVN systems for new cars, and getting booked in for an interview with the client directly. What really sold me on this interview though was:

a) The questions that were asked I was able to answer correctly immediately, because they were directly related to work I did for my Diploma i.e. Project management, risk management, supporting sustainability etc.

b) I convinced the consultant of my motoring passion by explaining my goals for my car, and how the job could help me succeed in my personal goals (Note that I explained my personal goals will also benefit from the position). Luckily, I found some common ground there with the consultant whose husband used to own an XY GT. It got here to smile, which is really crucial in the interview stage in my opinion.

Quick breakdown of my approach so far that has been proven successful up until my age and experience is concerned, hope it helps everyone.
Old 16-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #86
z80
Banned

I would be looking at this one mate...

"Your knowledge exceeded what we were looking for, much more so than our previous employee. However your appearance, whether it be your age, or height, you just don't look professional enough".

Why would they have said that?
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #87
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

If you are really struggling you could always try answering phones, get rougly 40-50K off the bat with a bank/telco etc.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #88
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I would be looking at this one mate...

Why would they have said that?
I think it was because of my age IMO. They could not have said that though, because it is discriminatory (fyi I'm 20).
Old 21-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #89
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, that's great. Just got laid off.

Got enough cash to get me through the next month, looks like I'm up the creek with you guys...
Old 21-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #90
Miss_XR6

^^^ Where were u working at to get laid off??? like what industry
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post