Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #751
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Grid Iron sounds like you should be getting a top cardio workout too.

If im going to do Cardio.. i may aswell hit some people at the same time
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #752
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazxr6mk2
for you fellas that have been weight training and bulking up, have you's being using protein and creatine etc? or just going natural?
This is what I've started using

http://endura.com.au/products/optimizer

Find it really helps before and after gym.

I've heard that 100% whey powder is the way to go though?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #753
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
This is what I've started using

http://endura.com.au/products/optimizer

Find it really helps before and after gym.

I've heard that 100% whey powder is the way to go though?

I just use a "MAX's" powder, nothing else, just eat right.

Some people use so much different stuff before, during, after, before bed, first thing in the morning.. i don't know how they afford to eat.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #754
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I just have it as it suggests, 30 mins before and 30 mins after....I find it does as advertised, recovers.

Guess it all depends what you want to achieve.

I've had the old needle dangled in front of me already too...It's tempting but no way in hell.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #755
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

If you actually knew the crap that they put in all those powder's, you wouldn't go near them, but hey if you think it work's that's all that matter's.
They are full of sugar as well.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #756
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i use nano vapour before the gym, its crazy how pumped it gets you, i stacked on the weights once i started on it, and you could feel it through ya, good muscle pumps etc, one downside is that it makes you a bit light headed, but you work around that eventually, and for protein, they rekon use it everyday etc, but i just used it after the gym, i use once from muscle max, i cant remember what its called, but that nano vapour i find doesnt make you saw the next day etc.. just a bit of advice
Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #757
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I guess i'll throw my name into the weight loss category. Bit of background ofcourse...

I'm 21 atm, started working in a factory doing labouring and working on a process line about a year ago which kept up my daily fitness. I then started driving machines around the warehouse which basically kept me sitting down most of the day.
On top of this, a mate got me hooked on energy drinks and I found myself to be drinking up to 5 a day (mother, V, redbull etc).

I started stacking on the weight hardcore. I made myself a new years resolution to get in shape this year and get extremely fit which i'm on my way to achieving.

Since Jan 1st i've cut out all junkfood. No fast food, fish and chips etc, no soft drink. The only thing I drink is water. No alcohol and I don't smoke. Healthy breakfast, small lunch and a healthy dinner (still live at home so whatever the family is having for dinner is what I eat, but it's not crap. Usually meat and lots of mixed salad in the summer and meat and 3 veg the rest of the time).

I purchased a treadmill about 2 and a half weeks ago and average about 10 - 12kms a day on it. Power walking at a pretty steep incline and I feel great.

The more i'm on it the further I want to push myself, and would like to start running on the treadmill sometime soon as well.

Weight at January 1st was roughly 100kgs and am now sitting at 94kgs.

Just checking in to look back on this thread weekly and report. I welcome all suggestions, criticism and any tips people might have!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #758
WMD351
Size it up

I tried the alcohol diet and lost four days in one week.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #759
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been following this thread for a while now, all i can says is good job everyone keep up the good and hard work,
Guess it's time i finally posted my weight loss efforts (been planing to do it for a few months now )

Last year i decided to make a new years resolution to join a gym and get fit , so me and my sister signed up at our local fenix club and i booked my first training session, started at 122kg's. (17th of feb 2010) Since then i've been training with my awesome kick-**** trainer :P (aka: Slayer) twice a week . Started out going three times a week since (twice with slayer and once on my own) as this was the first time i'd joined a gym ever, then around august i started going 5 days a week and haven't stopped (kinda got addicted lol) in september i joined the 12 week transformation challenge that fenix do didn't win but was worth it just to enter. Around the same time we started doing the 1000 steps once a week as well, stopped when summer hit but plan to take it up again in a month or so.
Since i joined and up and up until the 13th of jan 2011 i've lost a total of 29kg's which makes me 94kgs haven't got much left to lose, next thurs im jumping on the scales to get a yearly total of weight loss. All i can say is bring on my six pack im planing on getting
i'll let you guys know what the total is next week and keep you updated as i near my goal.

Daily: UA11 BiTurbo Everest
Weekend Project 1999 AU XR8
Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

RIP: FGX XR8 MANUAL Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447239

AU Fairlane Sparkling Burgundy thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....61#post5854961

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

UT Explorer limited Written OFF

BA XR8
Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1299363&page=7

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
EVL BOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #760
loosey

XR: start lifting some weights otherwise your bmr will drop too low and you'll end up worse off than before. I'd also suggest having six smaller size meals rather than 3 large ones (it'll get your metabolism moving). Also try to have protein in each meal (fish, milk, lean meat, cottage cheese etc).

EDIT: for anyone serious about losing fat I suggest reading this: http://ptcfrankston.com/doc/newslett...IssueNo37.html

Last edited by loosey; 08-02-2011 at 08:57 PM.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #761
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazxr6mk2
for you fellas that have been weight training and bulking up, have you's being using protein and creatine etc? or just going natural?
Protein is an essential part of the diet if you want result's, but don't bother if you are not willing to put in the hard yakka every week, and I mean every week, doing it for 3-4 week's and then stopping for a bit is a waste of time and sorry to say but most people fall into this category.
Why do people focus so much on powder's and over the counter product's that do nothing in general.
Let's face it, most here would not do a consistent gym regime yr in yr out, but most guy's buy powder's like their going out of style.
If anyone is seriously looking to bulk up and gain pure strength/muscle then I strongly suggest you read my previous post's about the three main lift's,
Bench,
Deadlift's,
And the most important of all SQUAT'S.
If you do not focus on these then forget it, and don't come on here wasting time saying how you think your doing so well in the gym, I challenge anyone to prove they gained muscle/strength by doing otherwise.
Anyone in the game would know that these 3 lift's are the structure of all thing's that people chase when BUILDING MUSCLE/STRENGTH.
Pec fly's, cable row's, tricep pushdown's, precher curl's are a pure **** for building muscle, they have a place, don't get me wrong, but no one here is a bodybuilder are they and no one here need's to focus on getting ripped for a comp.
So don't even bother wasting your time with them.
Now where was I...lol..
Powder, Protein powder has it's benefit if eating is time consumming and your on the run or you need to add that little bit extra because it is an essential nutrient, but don't be brain washed by the sale's that you need "X" amount to get anywhere, to much protein is storred in the KIdney's and is infact turned to Fat aswell.
I go on a percentage of body weight and not total bodyweight either as everybody has a cetain amount of Fat, so let's say to be happy and healthy without going over the top and letting it take over your life, you take 1.5 gram's of protein to 80% of your bodyweight or desired bodyweight, that extra 20% account's for fat cont, as you still need it, if you want that elussive six pack, be prepared to train everyday otherwise it aint going to happen, not if you want to gain pure muscle anyway, you can't have it both way's because in order to gain muscle you need to gain weight and that mean's FAT aswell.
Anyway happy training.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #762
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
XR: start lifting some weights otherwise your bmr will drop too low and you'll end up worse off than before. I'd also suggest having six smaller size meals rather than 3 large ones (it'll get your metabolism moving). Also try to have protein in each meal (fish, milk, lean meat, cottage cheese etc).

EDIT: for anyone serious about losing fat I suggest reading this: http://ptcfrankston.com/doc/newslett...IssueNo37.html
Thanks for the advice, pretty decent read too. Rep coming your way mate.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #763
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
I guess i'll throw my name into the weight loss category. Bit of background ofcourse...

I'm 21 atm, started working in a factory doing labouring and working on a process line about a year ago which kept up my daily fitness. I then started driving machines around the warehouse which basically kept me sitting down most of the day.
On top of this, a mate got me hooked on energy drinks and I found myself to be drinking up to 5 a day (mother, V, redbull etc).

I started stacking on the weight hardcore. I made myself a new years resolution to get in shape this year and get extremely fit which i'm on my way to achieving.

Since Jan 1st i've cut out all junkfood. No fast food, fish and chips etc, no soft drink. The only thing I drink is water. No alcohol and I don't smoke. Healthy breakfast, small lunch and a healthy dinner (still live at home so whatever the family is having for dinner is what I eat, but it's not crap. Usually meat and lots of mixed salad in the summer and meat and 3 veg the rest of the time).

I purchased a treadmill about 2 and a half weeks ago and average about 10 - 12kms a day on it. Power walking at a pretty steep incline and I feel great.

The more i'm on it the further I want to push myself, and would like to start running on the treadmill sometime soon as well.

Weight at January 1st was roughly 100kgs and am now sitting at 94kgs.

Just checking in to look back on this thread weekly and report. I welcome all suggestions, criticism and any tips people might have!
sounds like you are on the right track, but as said above, try to eat more frequent meals through out the day and hit the weights, this will be the quickest way to loose weight not cardio. (but dont stop the cardio, still helps in the process).
and for everyone set aside a day for legs, guys hate them (including me) but they are your biggest muscles, require stacks of NRG which results in faster weight loss plus most guys only focus on upper body and walk around on chicken legs lol.
be sure to drink plenty of water to, X your body weight by .0333 ie 80KG X 0.033 = 2.64 so just over 2 and a half ltrs should be taken per day + any extra during exercise.

-Slayer- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #764
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slayer-
sounds like you are on the right track, but as said above, try to eat more frequent meals through out the day and hit the weights, this will be the quickest way to loose weight not cardio. (but dont stop the cardio, still helps in the process).
and for everyone set aside a day for legs, guys hate them (including me) but they are your biggest muscles, require stacks of NRG which results in faster weight loss plus most guys only focus on upper body and walk around on chicken legs lol.
be sure to drink plenty of water to, X your body weight by .0333 ie 80KG X 0.033 = 2.64 so just over 2 and a half ltrs should be taken per day + any extra during exercise.
Is there any specific weight training I should be doing? Or just grab the good old dumbbells and lift?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #765
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Is there any specific weight training I should be doing? Or just grab the good old dumbbells and lift?
depends on how long you have been doing weights for, and depends on how many days a week you plan on doing it?
you would be best to split your days in muscle groups, so say one day do chest and triceps, second day back and biceps and third day legs, or a 2 day split same as above just add legs in there as well, but for a total new person to weights i would recommend alot of cable stuff, none of the isolation machine, work on technique over massive weights, its all about training your nervous system first, so later down the track you can really lift weights, so dont over do it, rest between sets stick to the basic to begin with, if you are going to do deadlifts get some one to show you the right way first, if not done correctly will cause pain and injury.
be sure to give muscles a chance to recover(at least 24hrs) and dont just do the same stuff every day, each day should be different to give muscles a rest, so dont have bench press in every day, even if you love it.
and for best results change your routine every 4 weeks so your muscles dont get used to it, new exercise etc.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #766
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, there are some non believers out there, the same as my brother, he wont touch creatine etc, but when you work biceps etc and you want to work them hard but not many reps as this was the way i was taught, you need something else to push you that little bit further, and in my eyes this stuff worked for me, but anyway, its up to your self, all i can say is 3-4 days a week, sleep alot, eat alot of ok stuff ( steak etc ) and keep at it, i was going for 18 months straight, i have since slacked off and i regret it, as they say if you dont use it, you loose it. good luck all
p.s. i done chest, triceps and back monday, arms and forearms and shoulders on wednesday, and legs on friday, that was my routine for some that was asking before
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #767
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Lift heavy sh17, eat meat, sleep.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 09-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #768
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
If you actually knew the crap that they put in all those powder's, you wouldn't go near them, but hey if you think it work's that's all that matter's.
They are full of sugar as well.
They're not all bad.. any of the weight gainers will be full of carbs including sugar but the 90+% protein products including the WPI based powders are actually pretty good quality.

The Max's range is really good stuff.. but i'm biased!!!

The old tried method of getting decent unrefined protein from meat and fish is the best way though, powders are replacements for lack of opportunity to get those protein sources.

Last edited by 4Vman; 09-02-2011 at 11:06 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #769
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

haha, my mate bought a big tub of hydroxyrip and started using it over the last 3 weeks. Sayd it does nothing for him as he wants to get bigger. The thing is he tells me he hasnt done any working out at all.

I dont use any powders etc. The only thing I may occasionally do is add a bit of the powerade premix in my water bottle prior to doing a indoor cycling class. I find it helps me to stop getting dizzy spells. Not sure what I am lacking when that happens. But find the little bit of sugar just stabilizes things and I can push harder.

Any suggestions?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #770
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
haha, my mate bought a big tub of hydroxyrip and started using it over the last 3 weeks. Sayd it does nothing for him as he wants to get bigger. The thing is he tells me he hasnt done any working out at all.

I dont use any powders etc. The only thing I may occasionally do is add a bit of the powerade premix in my water bottle prior to doing a indoor cycling class. I find it helps me to stop getting dizzy spells. Not sure what I am lacking when that happens. But find the little bit of sugar just stabilizes things and I can push harder.

Any suggestions?
probably means your body is lacking in salts (electrolytes) Salt is vital in the body, it aids in balancing blood sugar levels, extraction of excess acidity from the cells of the body, particularly the brain cells, also helps with muscle cramps.
so you could either have the Gatorade that has the electrolytes (probably not your best option) or start having yourself some natural sea salt (Celtic sea salt) with meals and water(but not enough to taste in your water)or you could even try Evian water, its abit dearer but thats because it contains natural minerals that the body requires.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #771
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
probably means your body is lacking in salts (electrolytes) Salt is vital in the body, it aids in balancing blood sugar levels, extraction of excess acidity from the cells of the body, particularly the brain cells, also helps with muscle cramps.
so you could either have the Gatorade that has the electrolytes (probably not your best option) or start having yourself some natural sea salt (Celtic sea salt) with meals and water(but not enough to taste in your water)or you could even try Evian water, its abit dearer but thats because it contains natural minerals that the body requires.
Thanks mate. I'd rather not use Powerade/Gatorade poweder etc. I know it has a lot of sugar in it and its bloody pricey to use as often I go to the gym.

I might just add the salt you suggested and see what happens. I notice I get cramps in my mid section after about 20mins into my workout and its annoying. The electrolyte stuff helps that too. Will indeed be adding some sea salt to my water.

I also have tried the Evian water, but didn't notice much. Perhaps it helped but at the price you pay for Evian it's a luxury rather than a need. Will stick with filtered water and add the sea salt.

Cheers mate

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #772
chrisfpv

Quote:
depends on how long you have been doing weights for, and depends on how many days a week you plan on doing it?
you would be best to split your days in muscle groups, so say one day do chest and triceps, second day back and biceps and third day legs, or a 2 day split same as above just add legs in there as well, but for a total new person to weights i would recommend alot of cable stuff, none of the isolation machine, work on technique over massive weights, its all about training your nervous system first, so later down the track you can really lift weights, so dont over do it, rest between sets stick to the basic to begin with, if you are going to do deadlifts get some one to show you the right way first, if not done correctly will cause pain and injury.
be sure to give muscles a chance to recover(at least 24hrs) and dont just do the same stuff every day, each day should be different to give muscles a rest, so dont have bench press in every day, even if you love it.
and for best results change your routine every 4 weeks so your muscles dont get used to it, new exercise etc.
Thanks man,

I'm looking at home gym setups on eBay atm to see whats out there and i'll def purchase one sometime this week or next to get that all round workout.

I'll update when I have an update...and also some rep coming your way mate.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #773
-Slayer-
BOSPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Thanks man,

I'm looking at home gym setups on eBay atm to see whats out there and i'll def purchase one sometime this week or next to get that all round workout.

not a problem at all, let us know how things go, and if you have any questions throw them my way and ill see if i can help in any way.
good luck with the home gym search.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #774
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've been considering buying some dumb bells for home. Just for those days where I can make it to the gym so I can at least do a bit.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Old 11-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #775
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Thanks man,

Well I ended up purchasing a Home gym today. Did a bit of homework from a couple of eBay sellers and found one that I think is a good price and offers what i'm looking for.

Searching Home gyms on eBay there are only a couple of major sellers. I just went through what they each offered and the feedback that they had. I purchased it off kmate-australia. They've sold over 70 of these in the last 4 months, and that's just my specific model, plus there positive to negative feedback is great.

They're apparently really busy atm so could be up to 3 weeks before it arrives which is fine because it will give me time to work out a weekly routine. Until then it's the treadmill and 5 - 6 small healthy meals a day.

Here is the eBay photo, i'll post another one when it's at my house.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #776
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
They're not all bad.. any of the weight gainers will be full of carbs including sugar but the 90+% protein products including the WPI based powders are actually pretty good quality.

The Max's range is really good stuff.. but i'm biased!!!

The old tried method of getting decent unrefined protein from meat and fish is the best way though, powders are replacements for lack of opportunity to get those protein sources.
I was more refering to the product's like Endura etc, not 90+ Protein.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #777
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

What are you looking to get out of from your workout's XR ?
Or what is your aim ?.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #778
chrisfpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
What are you looking to get out of from your workout's XR ?
Or what is your aim ?.
The straight answer is to become fit and feel good about myself.

I'm looking to lose a decent amount of weight and tone my body so that I look and feel good. For the last 3 or so years every January I've said the exact same thing, but have been too lazy to follow it through until this year so i'm really going to push myself hard and do everything right so in 6 - 12 months from now I can look back and smile.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #779
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Personally I think you would be better of with something like this and free weight's, this is what I have,
http://www.bodycraft.com/
Under strength - free weight equipement - the F340 power cage.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #780
chrisfpv

Looks interesting, what kind of workout do you do mate?