Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #721
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 
Default Re: The AFF Beer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
Last time I went to the pub I had James Squire Hop Thief. That was nice.
Yeah I agree, I tried Hop Thief on tap, very nice. There are like more then 4 different versions, I think I tried version 3.... Cant buy it anywhere except on tap though, some sort of special thing by James Squire...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #722
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Has anyone else heard of the Tap King that Lion is release soon?

It's basically a 3.2L plastic beer bottle that lies on it side in the fridge and has a beer tap on it to pour.
My wife was given one through her work to try out and it's a pretty handy thing to have. We're getting through the James Squire Chancer Ale at the moment. So far, the only downside I can see is that they recommend chilling the beer for 9 hours prior to drinking, so you've got to plan in advance should you want to use it.

I'm hoping that they expand the beer portfolio over time to include other beers they brew.

It's supposed to be released to the public in about 15 days time. It would be nice to know how much the beer costs too!

http://www.tapking.com
Given one as a gift with 2 bottles of Chancer and 2 bottles of Boags larger. Getting through my second bottle of Chancer. It does taste just like is was pulled / poured by the publican. It is very good and does live up to its hype in my opinion, but, I'll probably go back to cans, cans are just too bloody convenient.
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #723
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I had some coopers celebration ale with my old man last night, he couldn't stand it but I thought it was magnificent.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 AM   #724
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, I was down at my favourite watering hole, The Rose Hotel, Bunbury. This was about 3 weeks ago, and Angostura Lemon, Lime and Bitters had a bit of a promo going on. Grab an ALLB and your name goes into the hat to win a ALLB Surboard.
So, I'd had my two pints, having to drive and yet having a good chat while watching the sport on the Telly, I put my hand up for the Angostura.
Guess who won the Surfboard?
Here's a little pick of the plank...
No, I don't surf, and I couldn't imagine waxing this piece of art. It's a work of art.
Mates, you gotta enter those pub promo's. I've won a few bits over the years, this one takes the cake.
Oh, and the beach pic was a photo from a fellow AFF member. Australia Day. I reckon it said everything I like about Oz, I had it made into a canvas print. Love it.
Madaya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Surfboard.jpg (63.6 KB, 76 views)
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #725
MarkAW

Not a beer drinker until a trip to France and Belgium - found Stella and a few other Belg. beers which I liked. Came back to Aus and saw Stella as an imported beer - didn't read the fine print - its NOT IMPORTED its made here and tastes like ****. Settled for Corona with lemon yum. Still pi$$ed at being duped by who ever is making the fake Stella.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #726
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

It's not fake, it's made here under licence.

Just like Heineken with a couple hundred breweries around the world.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #727
MarkAW

Maybe I should have said "misrepresentation" rather than fake. Without going into the fact that this tastes nothing like the beer you purchase when in country, a product which is made locally whether under license or not, cannot be claimed to be an "imported" beer.

Imported means it comes into this country as a ready made product even if it was in bulk or in a reduced state like you get scotch.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #728
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

the bottle I have says brewed in the UK, so the Stella I've been drinking is imported.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #729
MarkAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY View Post
the bottle I have says brewed in the UK, so the Stella I've been drinking is imported.
Hope it tastes good like the ones I drank in Belgium. I don't buy em any longer, the Corona's is now my fav.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #730
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Did you drink it from a bottle or out of the tap? I've noticed a difference between the two.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #731
MarkAW

Quote:
Did you drink it from a bottle or out of the tap? I've noticed a difference between the two.
I presume you mean whilst in country, then both with no aprreciable difference other than possible a bit less gas in the bottle version. Of course thats relative to temp and out of a glass or straight out of the bottle. Over here it was only out of a twistie and the taste was no comparison - YUK.

I have since read up on the licence bit and it seems that the carton I purchased was indeed made in Aus (2009 Fosters manufacture), but there is also manufacturing in NZ and UK. Now stella is being made by Lion Nathan in Aus. with some parallel importing out of the UK.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #732
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does anything surpass Coopers?
Yes, absolutely. There are many breweries both Australian and international that surpass Coopers.

Coopers is the largest independent brewery though, so I will still support them.

However, there are Australian microbreweries that I also like to support. Off the top of my head:

Beechworth Brewing Co (Beechworth)
Bright Brewery (Bright)
Hargreaves Hill (Yarra Glen)
White Rabbit (Healesville)
Grand Ridge (Mirboo North - Gippsland)
Hawthorn Brewing Company (Hawthorn)
Mountain Goat (Richmond - VIC)

I used to love Little Creatures - best pale in the country, and Rogers Beer was the closest thing I could find to the old Cascade Amber Ale (discontinued - BASTARDS!), but I refuse to support a brewery that sells out...<puts on thick-rimmed black glasses>

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #733
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Corona is overpriced.

I suggest that we cut through all the image crap, and just stick with Coopers Clear.
It might not make you cool, and it might not cost enough to imply quality, but most of the major imports that advertise are rubbish.

With winter and cooler weather approaching, the Belgian ales are calling...
Chimay, La Trappe, as well as Zywiec (Polish) Porter being bloody awesome value...

The IPAs also are a hit. Sierra Nevada although a sizeable brewery, make a good one for the price, and there are some really awesome Australian ones. Epic Brewing Co make some great stuff. Many other brands.

I recommend that you get out to Olinda Cellars. I get my Australian gin from there, as well as many other microbreweries that you simply won't find at Dan Murphy's.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #734
MarkAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death View Post
Corona is overpriced.

I suggest that we cut through all the image crap, and just stick with Coopers Clear.
It might not make you cool, and it might not cost enough to imply quality, but most of the major imports that advertise are rubbish.

With winter and cooler weather approaching, the Belgian ales are calling...
Chimay, La Trappe, as well as Zywiec (Polish) Porter being bloody awesome value...

The IPAs also are a hit. Sierra Nevada although a sizeable brewery, make a good one for the price, and there are some really awesome Australian ones. Epic Brewing Co make some great stuff. Many other brands.

I recommend that you get out to Olinda Cellars. I get my Australian gin from there, as well as many other microbreweries that you simply won't find at Dan Murphy's.
Please don't imply that what I drink is for image, you don't know me - its what I enjoy, nothing more and certainly not for support of a company whether local or not - what a ****. Why would I "get" to Olinda Cellars - its in Melbourne - I live in Sydney FFS!!! This thread has been friendly up until now - what others drink isn't up for your criticism.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #735
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry Mark - that post wasn't directed directly at you. Apologies if it was taken the wrong way. Not my intention.

I am a big advocate of Australian brews and I am vehemently against Mexican beer as I think there is a lot of false quality implied in its excessive price. That has been a running comment of mine through this entire thread.

My comment was not in direct relation to your post - I was making a general comment.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #736
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW View Post
Please don't imply that what I drink is for image, you don't know me - its what I enjoy, nothing more and certainly not for support of a company whether local or not - what a ****. Why would I "get" to Olinda Cellars - its in Melbourne - I live in Sydney FFS!!! This thread has been friendly up until now - what others drink isn't up for your criticism.
Corona's and lime It's a Bathurst tradition. As soon as the flag drops, crack the first one. Always video last 30 laps of the race thou........
Last time up at the mountain an old bloke swigging on VB called me a poof for drinking it................
Old 12-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #737
MarkAW

Quote:
sorry mark - that post wasn't directed directly at you. Apologies if it was taken the wrong way. Not my intention.

I am a big advocate of australian brews and i am vehemently against mexican beer as i think there is a lot of false quality implied in its excessive price. That has been a running comment of mine through this entire thread.

My comment was not in direct relation to your post - i was making a general comment.
ok...
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #738
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Importrd Becks for me
or import Stella if they're out of stock
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #739
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Always video last 30 laps of the race thou........
Is that so we can watch a replay of you falling off your seat at the top of the mountain!?
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #740
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. There are many breweries both Australian and international that surpass Coopers.

Coopers is the largest independent brewery though, so I will still support them.

However, there are Australian microbreweries that I also like to support. Off the top of my head:

Beechworth Brewing Co (Beechworth)
Bright Brewery (Bright)
Hargreaves Hill (Yarra Glen)
White Rabbit (Healesville)
Grand Ridge (Mirboo North - Gippsland)
Hawthorn Brewing Company (Hawthorn)
Mountain Goat (Richmond - VIC)

I used to love Little Creatures - best pale in the country, and Rogers Beer was the closest thing I could find to the old Cascade Amber Ale (discontinued - BASTARDS!), but I refuse to support a brewery that sells out...<puts on thick-rimmed black glasses>

The best on that list would have to be the beechworth.
But you have missed 2 that are even better 1 stone&wood and 2 Coldstream
Old 16-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #741
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey fellas I just tried some 'BROO' cans and its a very nice Lager beer.It has a roadsign with a kangaroo as the advertisement. Its brewed in "Sorrento' Vic so down on the beach near Torquay/Bells Beach etc...If ever there was an Oz beer to support it would surely be this one!!!!!

Support your locals and not that mexican crap lol!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #742
Work Horse
Budget Racer

OK, at the risk of biting the hand....

I saw OeTTINGER Pils at Dan Murphy’s for like $29 a slab and thought anything that cheap will be poison.

I have lived in Europe for nearly a decade and made it my business to try as many beers as possible. Purely for research purposes! So many beers, so little time!

At home I usually enjoy a Coopers as a quaffing beer.

I sent the wife to buy me some "cheap beer" and she came back with OeTTINGER stubbies. They are smaller than Australian stubbies, 330mls V 375mls.

I tried OeTTINGER stubbies and for the price I defy anyone to find a better beer. I have done a lot of "research" on this product. I can confirm the fact it sticks to German purity obsession and only has four ingredients; water, barley, hops, yeast. During my extensive research over the past year or so I have never had a hangover, in spite of the amount of "research" I may have indulged in.

IMHO it is worth a try. Certainly not the best beer in the world, but for the price could put the local market on notice to pick up their game!

Last edited by Work Horse; 16-03-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #743
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregs View Post
The best on that list would have to be the beechworth.
But you have missed 2 that are even better 1 stone&wood and 2 Coldstream
Never had Coldstream - drove past it a little over a wheel ago though.
Stone and Wood Pacific Ale is grouse.

I really should get out there for an ale or 10...and of course, I won't be driving, because AFF promotes responsible driving.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 19-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #744
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Never had Coldstream - drove past it a little over a wheel ago though.
Stone and Wood Pacific Ale is grouse.

How can you say that I really enjoyed it.

I really should get out there for an ale or 10...and of course, I won't be driving, because AFF promotes responsible driving.
A work mate and myself are going to start a search for every micro brewery we intend to try every single beer or as many as we can.
Old 21-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #745
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Barossa Valley Brewing is our local microbrewery. They donated a few kegs as part of sponsorship of the cricket club and they've gone down a treat!

Another microbrewery that I like is Bear Republic. It's a bit difficult to get these beers though as they are from a little country town 2.5 hours north of San Francisco! There is an Irish Pub down near Albert Park in Melbourne that stocked a couple of their beers. It brought back memories drinking that!

As for Corona, it's the Fosters Mexican equivalent. The local apparently don't drink it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 16-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #746
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Slightly off topic, but this is the best place to ask.

What do you use to revitalise your beer drinking glasses? I've got 4 x 425ml pilsener style glasses that have only ever had beer in them and are stored in the freezer. They don't hold the head or "work" the bubbles anywhere like they used to.

I've followed my dad's oath of only washing them in warm salty water which worked for a while, but it's now failing. Have tried using the sterilising stuff like sodium metabisulphite and Milton's baby bottle wash to no avail. They've never seen dishwashing detergent.

To spark them up I'm now putting the tiniest pinch of salt in before I pour - yeah, I know that's just not on!

Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

Back on topic, my all time favourite beer was Tooheys Pils, sadly it was taken off the market. Unless I'm up for a treat, I buy whatever heavy beer is on special at the time.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #747
MarkAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Slightly off topic, but this is the best place to ask.

What do you use to revitalise your beer drinking glasses? I've got 4 x 425ml pilsener style glasses that have only ever had beer in them and are stored in the freezer. They don't hold the head or "work" the bubbles anywhere like they used to.

I've followed my dad's oath of only washing them in warm salty water which worked for a while, but it's now failing. Have tried using the sterilising stuff like sodium metabisulphite and Milton's baby bottle wash to no avail. They've never seen dishwashing detergent.

To spark them up I'm now putting the tiniest pinch of salt in before I pour - yeah, I know that's just not on!

Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
The foaming of beer is just the gas coming out of solution of beer due to it being kept under pressure. Are you really sure that the beer hasn't got a diminished amount of gas? (gone flat, even just a small amount) If your drinking from cans then it shouldn't go flat, yet I have had plenty of cans of coke recently turn out flat yet still in date - its the use of the current pop top design which I question. And of course bottles go flat even quicker.

Also your use of the freezer for storing your glass. The warmer a liquid is, the easier it becomes for dissolved gases in solution to come out of solution, therefore the opposite is the colder a liquid, the slower the gases come out of solution. This is why antartic waters have such high fish polulations. Maybe keep the glass in the fridge and not the freezer.

The glass of a quality drinking vessel should not affect the drink unless there is a residue from not being cleaned properly. Glass is an inert material used throughout science as it does not react with almost all liquids and solids.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #748
jcat58

If you gotta put lime or lemon in a beer to make it taste nice, then it must be crap in the first place. Corona is overrated beer, don't like it ,don t buy it, Went to Czech republic recently and drank KOZEL dark ale and KOZEL premium. The premium is delicious. Dan Murphy stocks it $60 for (20 x 500ml bottles )
jcat58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #749
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I only ever drink Corona if its a stinking hot day. Otherwise its to watery for me.

One I dont really like is the Gage Roads Sleeping Giant India Pale Ale..one or twos ok..but its got a funny bitter taste and I usually like IPA's.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #750
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I can get them at a good price Moosehead or Beez neez
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post