Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #31
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
What I am trying to find out is what is the most protective oil.What will make the engine last longer in hot stop start and very hard driven cars?
Try Torco oil you cant go wrong, just watch any form of drag racing or cicuit racing in the USA and most of the front cars will be running Torco. As for the people that say the race teams dont run whats being advertised well just imagine you are the manager of mobil 1 and you are giving HRT empty bottles to put Castrol in it mean while you are handing over millions of dollars in sponsorship come on people wake up these companies would never risk something like this it would be the end of them and on top of that the teams cant even fart now a days with out another team nowing about it.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #32
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

It's not a case of using a different companies oil in the sponsors containers, it could be a case of using a different grade/quality oil from the sponsor, but using it in a bottle that the public can see and then go and buy what they think is the same oil.

V8 supercars operate in a differnt environment to our street cars so choosing the same oil as them is not a great idea

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #33
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Could one of you ‘experts’ please explain why is it so hard to accept that they would use Mobil1 or an equivalent full synthetic from any or the other Oil sponsors?? If there is a better oil out there that they may be using than name it!!
There are many low volume blenders who don't refine their own oil but add various additives, regardless of the frequency the oil is changed you can lose and gain horsepower through friction modifiers etc. The average consumer won't pay much more than $10/litre for oil and so basically oil companies are only willing to put so much r&d into their product.

The cleanliness of most mass produced oil for example is an issue, I know several people who work in lubrication and admit that their own products aren't up to scratch in terms of cleanliness. I have no doubt that several V8SC teams do use off the shelf oil, but when your in such a controlled environment every hp counts.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #34
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I'd have thought "running-in" oil would be much lighter than 30W70 (which is what I'm presuming 30/70 means???)
Your dead right T3man, running in oil is lighter than normal & doesnt have any friction modifyers in it so the engine runs in.

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #35
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
It's not a case of using a different companies oil in the sponsors containers, it could be a case of using a different grade/quality oil from the sponsor, but using it in a bottle that the public can see and then go and buy what they think is the same oil.
That's a fair point! Also the additives differ for different circumstances.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #36
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Exclamation It aint a Supercar, But??

: Sorry if this a little of topic, but i took 15000 service with a grain of salt, after 3000 kms i changed to 0w-40 castrol edge, a well respected tuning house up here said i was nuts. Motor needs to bed in- shouldnt change oil on one of these motors before the factory intervals...WTF, have just passed the 25000 mark, its on its 3rd oil change-Now,castrol is very expensive (you have to buy 2 containers) 4 containers does 3 oil changes at around $70 per 5lts, i would like to try FUCHS or ROYAL PURPLE probably 10w-40/60? what do you think?? Car sees imaginary redline every day,does short & long trips, dyno work, Willowbank raceway-and will probably keep changing oil every 5000ks just want the free horsepower that a quality oil provides, without wear... CHEERS.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #37
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
: Sorry if this a little of topic, but i took 15000 service with a grain of salt, after 3000 kms i changed to 0w-40 castrol edge, a well respected tuning house up here said i was nuts. Motor needs to bed in- shouldnt change oil on one of these motors before the factory intervals...WTF, have just passed the 25000 mark, its on its 3rd oil change-Now,castrol is very expensive (you have to buy 2 containers) 4 containers does 3 oil changes at around $70 per 5lts, i would like to try FUCHS or ROYAL PURPLE probably 10w-40/60? what do you think?? Car sees imaginary redline every day,does short & long trips, dyno work, Willowbank raceway-and will probably keep changing oil every 5000ks just want the free horsepower that a quality oil provides, without wear... CHEERS.
I was using the same to start with then went to Fuchs supersyn 5w-40 I now use Super GTO which is a Fuchs ultra high synthetic performance oil. I run her fairly hard and will maybe see you at willow bank some day soon. I am happy that this oil will protect my engine. Fuchs is used in all German Tunnel equipment from Hydroulic to engine and having worked with this oil I say its pretty good. Once I use a brand I dont change. My old failane I used Penziol.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #38
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Talking oils aint oils

Thanx for that mate.off to autobahn now see if they have it? :
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #39
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Don't think they do, try Super cheap.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #40
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fuchs Super GTO at super cheap and its not badly priced.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #41
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I have been told that straight 50 oil is the best for performance.However I have read that a good fully synthetic oil will help the car last longer.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #42
james22
With da Warlords

as far as i knew they don't even use commercial oil. mobil, havoline etc is only their sponsors. I was told they actually use diesel oil by a mechanic because it is much heavier duty, whether it has any truth to it is another story???

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #43
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I was involved with Mobil, and their race teams for a number of years.

They used Mobil 1 straight out of the bottle.

Although I did know of one team sponsored by another company that used to decant Mobil 1 into their "sponsors" bottle
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #44
Sledgehammer
Banned

Many many years ago alot of them used Mobil 1, not sure about now as Mobil 1 went off a bit a number of years back.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #45
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
True .But think about it.If your car needs protection then whats is the best oil.The best way is to change oil regularly but then what oil handles extremes. Which oil holds its lubricating properties under extreme conditions? It seems that normal oil lossess its properties with heat and hard revving motors.This would then scour the bearings,wear piston rings etc.

Does the ultimate oil really not exist but just frequent changes the answer.
You need the best oil for your engine in the environment it will be used in, engines built with very accurate internal tollerances and have a very limited service life, minimum internal friction or resistance and regular maintanance may not use the kind of oil that will serve you best in a regular production engine with varying tollerances in a road environment under more varied conditions.

Last edited by 4Vman; 11-04-2007 at 10:53 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #46
jonk

This posted in the Territory forum by johnnydep will give you an idea what you really need to look for when talking about oil..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=6663
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #47
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugger .. you beat me to it.
Interesting results too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post