Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #31
WASP
Whipple Induced

Nothing against that great Nissan engine, but that's just soo wrong.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #32
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

good its been saved.....but I aint down with the transplant. It has to be a V8 i reckon.
rennie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #33
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennie
good its been saved.....but I aint down with the transplant. It has to be a V8 i reckon.
Hardly been "saved". They built about a 1/2 dozen of these things out of what were otherwise perfectly good fastbacks, and then proceeded to crash half them trying to make the movie.

As if the price of a normal 67/68 fastback wasn't bad enough with everyone buying them to create an "Eleanor", now the wannabe Dorifto kids will want them too.....
Old 03-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #34
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linked website
all the "crashed" Mustangs were equipped with a regular-old V6
What's going on there? Do they mean V8? Inline six? The other modified Mustangs used new Mustang V6's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
nope.... that mustang convertible was heavily modded.. he bought a crashed AU XR8.. as a donor car
it got the 5litre, manual, dash, mirrors, RRS front suspension, jag irs(because the AU IRS wouldnt fit..)
ie still a Windsor, it may be the AU motor, but nothing out of the ordinary.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #35
VSSII

What they said.....

Import guys are ****ed because the Japanese engine in question is the RB26DETT, also known as the engine found in the holy grail of all Japanese performance cars, the Nissan Skyline GT-R. Import guys feel that this engine is the pinnacle of uber high-tech Japanese engineering, and to throw it in a 40-year-old ill-handling relic is nothing short of sacrilege.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #36
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Import guys feel that this engine is the pinnacle of uber high-tech Japanese engineering, and to throw it in a 40-year-old ill-handling relic is nothing short of sacrilege.
Import guys think it's ill handling because they don't have the physical strength to turn the steering wheel, and no matter how much they masturbate over how "Mad Tyte, Yo!" the RB26 is, they will never develop their wrist strength enough to.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #37
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Import guys think it's ill handling because they don't have the physical strength to turn the steering wheel, and no matter how much they masturbate over how "Mad Tyte, Yo!" the RB26 is, they will never develop their wrist strength enough to.
Bwahahahahahahaha that is one of the best comments i've heard in a long time. :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #38
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

XR6t donk would have been better, still a ford, and more power.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #39
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
What they said.....

Import guys are ****ed because the Japanese engine in question is the RB26DETT, also known as the engine found in the holy grail of all Japanese performance cars, the Nissan Skyline GT-R. Import guys feel that this engine is the pinnacle of uber high-tech Japanese engineering, and to throw it in a 40-year-old ill-handling relic is nothing short of sacrilege.
actually the import guys aren't as ****ed off as you think, it is more the domestic guys, i thought it would be both but suprisingly the imports are happy, although they like to give a little about the nissan engine being more superior hence it being in the mustang.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #40
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

The Mustang is an import:nutsycuck as for the RB26 being a superior engine, why? I just helped a mate build an RB, sure it made a hell of alot of power on high boost on methanol,no resemblance to the factory engine at all,turbo as big as a dinner plate, but makes only 2/3 the power of my old clacker on pump fuel,whats so superior about that? I could comp mine to 15,run methanol and make the same power, ASPIRATED.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #41
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
The Mustang is an import:nutsycuck as for the RB26 being a superior engine, why? I just helped a mate build an RB, sure it made a hell of alot of power on high boost on methanol,no resemblance to the factory engine at all,turbo as big as a dinner plate, but makes only 2/3 the power of my old clacker on pump fuel,whats so superior about that? I could comp mine to 15,run methanol and make the same power, ASPIRATED.
What power did it make? What kind of RB was it? 2 litre? 3 litre? 2.5?

What does it make on street fuel?

A mate has a stock GTR engine in his GTS T and with only a power FC and more boost he is making 240rwkw. Lots of people are making 300ish rwkw on pump fuel out of the SOHC 3 litre. Cant say that about many aspirated street driven V8's.

Its not as laggy as my old AU which I thought spooled early.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #42
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
Car can be returned to original one day if a purist buys it.

I think it is pretty cool, the RB26 is a worthy transplant.
Blasphemy! A master piece ruined.

FF
Could be worse, could have been a Mazda Rotary : :
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #43
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
What power did it make? What kind of RB was it? 2 litre? 3 litre? 2.5?

What does it make on street fuel?

A mate has a stock GTR engine in his GTS T and with only a power FC and more boost he is making 240rwkw. Lots of people are making 300ish rwkw on pump fuel out of the SOHC 3 litre. Cant say that about many aspirated street driven V8's.

Its not as laggy as my old AU which I thought spooled early.
It's an RB30 still single cam head in a VL(what else lol)Id rather not go into the power levels as it's not mine and he wants to keep it dark for now,but going from what it is doin (engine dyno) and the full on gear it has it should be special.runs a large standard bearing turbo, JE pistons, H-beams,ported head with over size valves,Autronic,8:1 comp,large hyd cam, etc etc. but there are plenty of 600hp pump fuel V8's,from what I can see it's not easy to get 450hp out of these on pulp.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #44
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats strange.

There are a few people on the calaisturbo site claiming they make over 400rwhp easily on pump fuel.

What they say and what they make could be 2 different things though.

They seem to come to life with a twin cam head on them. I think that is the way Ill go with the torana if I start chasing lots of grunt.

Still I reckon the car is cool because its different. It would be just as cool with a big V8 in it but I bet noone would talk about it in the same way as they are now.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #45
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
XR6t donk would have been better, still a ford, and more power.
LOL, you don't know much about the RB26DETT do you.

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #46
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any one ever put a big-block into a Skyline? Or a Hemi 265?
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #47
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
any one ever put a big-block into a Skyline?
there was an LS1 powered R33 on LS1.com a while ago.....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #48
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Thats strange.

There are a few people on the calaisturbo site claiming they make over 400rwhp easily on pump fuel.

What they say and what they make could be 2 different things though.

They seem to come to life with a twin cam head on them. I think that is the way Ill go with the torana if I start chasing lots of grunt.

Still I reckon the car is cool because its different. It would be just as cool with a big V8 in it but I bet noone would talk about it in the same way as they are now.
Forget rwhp,I have seen 100hp difference with my own car on chassis dyno's,tell me this do they race on pulp? and if so look at the mph,this car is on an engine dyno,still in the tuning stage though.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #49
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutura
LOL, you don't know much about the RB26DETT do you.
Nizpro are up around the 1000hp as well, and it ain't had the development the RB26 has.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #50
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

there are some serious HP VL's in my area. one in particular has serious power (close to 500 at the rear wheels on pump fuel on its low boost setting single cam) If you think its the dyno reading high then im here to tell you ....it aint. Its a dynologic and it reads lower than any others that its compared to.

another dead give away is the size of the injectors and how much of its duty cycle you are using at the peak..........
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:16 AM   #51
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Nizpro are up around the 1000hp as well, and it ain't had the development the RB26 has.
I think theyre chasing 1500fwhp with there BA-T actually.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:32 AM   #52
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
The sound of a 6 coming from a old school Stang, would be f***ing weird.
I think you'll find a majority of early Mustangs (maybe not fastbacks!) were probably I6's .. weezy 200's and whatnot ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #53
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think most people have lost the plot here and are going off onto their own little power war tangent. Seriously who cares about the power in a 67 mustang. The car was meant for cruising and looking cool while doing so! It's just completely wrong shoving an RB engine in it even if they are powerful. Leave the classics alone!
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 03:47 AM   #54
iTec
Starter Motor

The car is actually a tribute to the mustang, the mustang was to the 60's what the skyline is to today, one way of linking this "heritage" was to marry the cars together, styling ques for the TD mustang were taken from the "Bullit" mustang which was really instrumental in the day in making the mustang the car to own

the movie was made in japan, japan does not have a large aftermarket base for 30yr old V8 engines so technically it was easyer to maintain and develope the vehicle with the RB engine an engine which has a large aftermarket support in Japan.

and lastly it is the eppitome of hot rodding/street machining and the import scene in one car... hot rodders - use what they have, and make it work. street machiners - bullit styled mustang will allways be beutifull and the, importers - do with turbos and efi what street machines do with cubes.

All three of these "cultures" are not really all that different, they all do it to be unique and different and this is what this car has done... in my oppinion it deservs more respect then what it has gotten!
iTec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #55
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
there are some serious HP VL's in my area. one in particular has serious power (close to 500 at the rear wheels on pump fuel on its low boost setting single cam) If you think its the dyno reading high then im here to tell you ....it aint. Its a dynologic and it reads lower than any others that its compared to.

another dead give away is the size of the injectors and how much of its duty cycle you are using at the peak..........
If it's that candy yellow one with the 20 person pit crew in yellow jackets,I saw it run at WSID a few weeks ago,and I doubt it was making 500rw that day going off how it ran then.I wont get into the this dyno that dyno debate except to say my own tuner showed me how he could make the reading go way higher with a few keyboard strokes, and there is a candy red VL with custom plates that made 50hp more than mine at powercruise,yet that car barely runs over 100mph and I run 122-125 and weighs at least 200kg heavier. you work it out.Im not knocking the RB's they are a great engine, but I think in Turbo's there are better ones out there, VG30 for example,and look at what an SR20 can do.Ill always be biased towards aspirated engines though as there more of a challenge to make power out of.I would have much rather have seen a turbo'd japanese V8 in that mustang,it would be more in keeping with the heritage of the car imo.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #56
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTec
The car is actually a tribute to the mustang, the mustang was to the 60's what the skyline is to today, one way of linking this "heritage" was to marry the cars together, styling ques for the TD mustang were taken from the "Bullit" mustang which was really instrumental in the day in making the mustang the car to own

the movie was made in japan, japan does not have a large aftermarket base for 30yr old V8 engines so technically it was easyer to maintain and develope the vehicle with the RB engine an engine which has a large aftermarket support in Japan.

and lastly it is the eppitome of hot rodding/street machining and the import scene in one car... hot rodders - use what they have, and make it work. street machiners - bullit styled mustang will allways be beutifull and the, importers - do with turbos and efi what street machines do with cubes.

All three of these "cultures" are not really all that different, they all do it to be unique and different and this is what this car has done... in my oppinion it deservs more respect then what it has gotten!
You really are off in your own little world aren't you. It has nothing in common with the Bullitt mustang (yes, 2 Ts in Bullitt) other than that they are both 67/68 mustang fastbacks.
The movie was filmed in LA.

I'll bet the process went like this:

Film making retard 1: "What sort of car can our american hero on the run from the law in tokyo drive?"
Film making retard 2: "I dont know, some kind of american car?"
Film making retard 1: "Hey yeah, cool idea."
Film making retard 2: "You know, that car in that Gone in 60 seconds was pretty cool"
Film making retard 1: "Awesome! but how can we make it appeal to the Dorifto crowd? You know, all those kids with their Hondas and their spikey hair and blue sunglasses and visors and stuff?" (American ricers)
Film making retard 2: "I know, we can make it like the cars they have on their posters that they masturbate over every night... what are those things? Sky... Skysomethings"
Film making retard 1: "Yeah! lets put like thos big wheels and one of those motors in the old car!"
Film making retard 2: "Cool!!"
Film making retard 1: "Mad tyte Yo!"
Film making retard 2: "Hey, do you want to come round and watch Broke Back Mountain on my Plasma tonight?"
Film making retard 1: "Sure!"
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #57
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, but also you have to remember, the XR6T engine is alot newer then the RB26 and is probably more advanced, as far as technology goes.

Look how long it took the VLs to get over 800HP and break into the 8s/9s from the RB30 and how long it took the XR6Ts to get into the 9s.

I'm sure if the RB26 was developed today, it would pull numbers like the XR6T engine, without many years on it.

Also cubic displacement swings in the XR6T's favour alot more, being a 4.0L, as opposed to the 2.6L capacity of the RB26.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #58
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Yeah Ryan, that was my point.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #59
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
I'll bet the process went like this:

Film making retard 1: "What sort of car can our american hero on the run from the law in tokyo drive?"
Film making retard 2: "I dont know, some kind of american car?"
Film making retard 1: "Hey yeah, cool idea."
Film making retard 2: "You know, that car in that Gone in 60 seconds was pretty cool"
Film making retard 1: "Awesome! but how can we make it appeal to the Dorifto crowd? You know, all those kids with their Hondas and their spikey hair and blue sunglasses and visors and stuff?" (American ricers)
Film making retard 2: "I know, we can make it like the cars they have on their posters that they masturbate over every night... what are those things? Sky... Skysomethings"
Film making retard 1: "Yeah! lets put like thos big wheels and one of those motors in the old car!"
Film making retard 2: "Cool!!"
Film making retard 1: "Mad tyte Yo!"
Film making retard 2: "Hey, do you want to come round and watch Broke Back Mountain on my Plasma tonight?"
Film making retard 1: "Sure!"
Classic.....
Old 04-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #60
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah Ryan, that was my point.
Ah ok.

Sorry about that.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post