Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #31
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

To be honest, the VY/VZ styling did it for me over the VX and previous models. From the sneak pics i've seen, it's gonna turn out more like a Mit. 380. And if it does, Ford has even more of a chance to pounce on it with a sexy looking BH/Orion/Whatever-they-call-it-when-it-is-released.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #32
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Holden is hyping it up ... which might be a bad things ... cos if it doesn't prove to be the car to end all cars ... it's going to end in tears for Holden .... the VE will NEED to be absolutely fantastic ... if it's mediocre ... its going to cop more of a caning from the journos than the 380 did.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #33
brendan24688

from ls1.com.au

ok here are what I glean as highlights from the paper copy of Drive:

has artists impressions of SS, Statesman, Exec, Wagon and Ute
info comes from a fleet managers preview in Syd this week
Exec wheels go from 15 to 16 inches
SS wheels go up to 19 inches
only one version of the V6 with 200kW
6.0L V8 will have a power rating of 265kW - Drive reckons the current VZ 6.0L has the same power, but Holden understated it as it makes the VE look better. Also, the 6.0L V8 is quoted as having 265kW in the US anyway
weight gain of 130 to 140kg
no idea if V8 will have DoD
VE V8s get bigger front brakes than the current premium brakes fitted to the MY06 SS
VE V6 models will get the same premium brakes as the current MY06 SS
HSV is fitting siz piston AP calipers as standard to all its cars
most VE models will have side airbags and ESP as standard

the online link (after noon) is http://www.drive.com.au/vespy
Old 07-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #34
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Perhaps it is considered Holden's most important car because of the environment it is being born into, with Toyota's new Aurion and Camry and the existing 380, plus Ford's success with the B-series. Then you have all the American brands coming in (even though they are pitched at the more prestige buyer, eg. Chrysler and Caddy) but they are still going to take some of the market for a new car buyer.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #35
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Plus petrol prices are turning people away from large cars, so it has to be something special for it to survive commercially in their line up.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #36
brendan24688

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=2&bg=32&pp=0

WELCOME THE NEW ASTRA SS!! Bhahahah
brendan24688 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #37
act2617

Default VE Commodore secrets revealed

The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday April 7 2006

Holden?s Australian icon, the Commodore, will have more foreign parts to keep prices down and European styling flair to broaden its appeal. But will that be enough to entice buyers away from imported cars, asks JOSHUA DOWLING.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=2&bg=32&pp=0
act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #38
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

The SS and the wagon, although computer generated, do look pretty good.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Wagon looks neat ... but everything looks like Astra from a couple of years ago.
And the LWB models look Honda Legend-esque as well.

Doesn't look like it's breaking new ground though.

Heaadlights look very Ford Falcon XT-ish as well.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #40
brendan24688

Some interesting comments from drive.com.au

"The US involvement in the VE largely stems from the fact that the next generation of Commodore derivatives are expected to be assembled in North America, as well as Elizabeth in South Australia.

The Statesman could be built and sold in the US as a Buick, which is why the VE has had some significant changes under the skin. For example, to accommodate US requirements the fuel tank has been moved from under the boot to under the rear seat, among other modifications that enable the VE to meet international regulations."

"Unfortunately, such fuel-saving technology can't come soon enough for Holden as the VE is said to have piled on the kilos - up by 130kg-140kg more than the VZ - which, if true, would put it on par and perhaps even heavier than its arch rival, the Ford Falcon."

"The Holden V8's six-speed auto is said to be GM-made while the sporty HSV is said to be getting the world-class, German-made ZF six-speed auto (the same one used in the latest performance Falcons)."

"The only problem is: the bigger, heavier and (likely) thirstier Commodore will arrive in a market that has turned its back on big Aussie sedans, the meat-and-three-veg of the automotive world. Given that our palates have changed, the new Commodore will need something more than special sauce."

"In a last-minute cost-cutting attempt consideration was given to taking some equipment out of the cars. But the former head of sales and marketing, Ross McKenzie, apparently put a stop to that and said at a board meeting: "I don't care how you save the money but you're not taking a single feature out of the car."

Which is why there will be more foreign parts in the Commodore than ever before.

"There's no point building the world's best car if no-one buys it," says one Holden insider. "How many people would pay $40,000 for an Executive? Exactly."

That said, prices across the VE range are expected to increase by between 1 and 3 per cent. Holden creeps up the price with every model change, so a full model change will most certainly lead to a price rise. Holden needs to recoup its significant investment cost, said to be close to $1 billion - the biggest investment on a Commodore.
brendan24688 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #41
ToxikXR
you've been dubbed..

Looking at the pictures they have added a little too much european flair.. They are beginning to look like your Mazda 6's and Honda Accords.. No bias but Im not liking the new Holden look..
APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Torque Arm Insert, APR ECU, APR Fuel Pump, Oettinger Bodykit, Oettinger Intercooler, Oettinger RXX 19x8.5 Wheels, Dbilas Cold Air Induction, Neuspeed Front & Rear Swaybars, Forge Diverter Valve
Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, Xenons, DSG, Sunroof, 20% Tint
ToxikXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #42
danv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxikXR
Looking at the pictures they have added a little too much european flair.. They are beginning to look like your Mazda 6's and Honda Accords.. No bias but Im not liking the new Holden look..

The computer generated images look crap imho.

Although the Commodore always had a european flair to it becuase thats how they started.

But then again the BA/BF Falcons look european to me inside and out and with that they are a good looking car.
danv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #43
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

a lot of negativity in here...i know this is a ford forum but gee whizz guys!!
just wait till its in the flesh, not a computer generated artists impression - it could be good but it could be bad....but alot of you are rubbishing it already - but i think its because of its badge, had it had a blue oval on it, half of you would be talking it up im sure
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #44
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

meh com gens mean nothing
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #45
Danny
GT4.

Oh god.

Is it just me or does the EXEC look better than the SS? I dont think it looks great at all, but will still sell like all buggery...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #46
Eithor

all the details

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ar...f=7&bg=24&pp=0
Eithor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #47
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
just wait till its in the flesh, not a computer generated artists impression - it could be good but it could be bad....but alot of you are rubbishing it already - but i think its because of its badge, had it had a blue oval on it, half of you would be talking it up im sure

Look the same thing happened the other way around when the BA was released ... and it looks like the same heated discussion will be brought up again.

I just made an observation on what it looked like.

I too am waiting for them to be actually released ... and extensively tested next to the Ford product in head-to-head testing.

That's when the comparitive information will be valuable.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #48
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithor

Look up at Post #36 ... it's the exact same article.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #49
Eithor

computer generated image soo my look little better when Holden release the own real hardcore pictures..

But look at the UTE!! LOL makes me laugh
Eithor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #50
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Computer generated. Just waith 90min for the real thing
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #51
danv8

Quote:
Im looking forward on seeing it in the flesh.
And I am a Holden fan but I won't rub the ford folks in the wrong way because I respect what they own and drive. ;)

But yeah im waiting to see it for real as many of us.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #52
ToxikXR
you've been dubbed..

They look like transformers... Im just waiting for optimus prime to make an appearance..
APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Torque Arm Insert, APR ECU, APR Fuel Pump, Oettinger Bodykit, Oettinger Intercooler, Oettinger RXX 19x8.5 Wheels, Dbilas Cold Air Induction, Neuspeed Front & Rear Swaybars, Forge Diverter Valve
Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, Xenons, DSG, Sunroof, 20% Tint
ToxikXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #53
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Like i said in the otheer thread. Wait 90min for the real things.

With regards to the "its cause of the badge" comment. I'm sure this clouds a significant part of posts on this forum (and all automotive forums) however you must agree that if the real cars look exactly like those PC renders they will have a hard time shifting them? Very very 2003 astra-ish with XT lights.

90min and we will have a better view
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #54
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

To be honest, I just dont care about the new Commodore. It's ancestors have always been substantially worse cars than their main competitions, yet they have always prevailed in the sales race regardless.

Whatever they build will be a runaway success, so I just dont particularly care.

Sour grapes? Very!
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #55
EA2BA
PM me if you want

All the speculation, I will wait for them to 'officially' released and just made up pictures.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #56
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Well no real big suprises. Its all what we all expected.

Not that I am privy to any special information that is not already in public domain by the way. My predictions are based off general industry news (suppliers, fleet movements, hot technologies etc), little interesting bits that float up in forums (not under NDA) and my own personal assumptions.

Out of the article tho I found this gem..

Quote:
But Holden engineers struggled to meet this deadline, especially now that every major decision must be approved by the high-ups at GM in the US. So, the new American boss of Holden, Denny Mooney, pushed the VE back to its original release date of August-September 2006.
Provides some incite to the tug of war local manufacturers have to go through with international management. I would imagine that Ford has simular problems and Mitsubishi and Toyota are even worse.

VE will have some tangible advantages over BF and BF II. Curtain airbags, more powerful engines, newer body etc. I think Holden may be holding out somewhat until Orion arrives. But Ford will no doubt do okay, territory is still a extremely strong product and there is really nothing on the horizon to slow it down.

While many in the media claim LWB is a dead market, I still think there is life in it. The market may start cycling back into it. With small cars getting bigger, SUV market, its not so much that people are turning away from large sedans is theres more competition for buyers to concider from many diffrent angles. It hasn't helped that the LWB market has been very poorly run (doubly so from Fords side.) Its followed the Crown Vic evolution to be a fleet special for hire/taxi/fleet market.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #57
InitialD
Low and Loud

EEEEEKK! the vectra on steroids!

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #58
HSE2

I found this part a little strange. Why would you have two versions of the six speed box if cost cutting was a consideration given how small the V8 market might become?

"Weight is such an issue for the VE that, in addition to a standard five-speed automatic gearbox on V6 models, the V8s are expected to get a six-speed auto as standard - both with taller ratios to help open-road fuel economy. The Holden V8's six-speed auto is said to be GM-made while the sporty HSV is said to be getting the world-class, German-made ZF six-speed auto (the same one used in the latest performance Falcons).

Overall that looks ok to me and has the potential to be very nice. I can’t wait to see it myself and am eager to see what sort of quality this product brings to our market.

Ford is set to lose some of the advantage it has carried for some time especially in terms of automatic and suspension. We have seen what Holden can do with a car that is largely considered to be a generation behind Falcon, what are they going to achieve with one that is at least equal or better.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #59
danv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
To be honest, I just dont care about the new Commodore. It's ancestors have always been substantially worse cars than their main competitions, yet they have always prevailed in the sales race regardless.

Whatever they build will be a runaway success, so I just dont particularly care.

Sour grapes? Very!
Yup some people make a living out of sour grapes too.
:p
Old 07-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #60
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

this is about the 5th post today with the exact same link in it.
What is going on ... the first page of "The Pub" is going to be infiltrated with the same post.